Kobe's best scoring year, the year he averaged 35..

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 900

Re: Kobe's best scoring year, the year he averaged 35.. 

Post#21 » by Wile E. Coyote » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:55 pm

LebronsCavs wrote:Kobe's 35,5,4 really doesnt look that remarkable next to Lebrons 31/7/7 and even AI's 33/8.

Or Kobe's 30/7/6/2/1 season. :D
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#22 » by Speedlot » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:38 am

Quite a few of those players having a "dominant scoring" (in case lebocavs don't understand the topic of discussion) year is due to the fact that they were all in crappy teams or injured(arenas). The elite teams were Spurs, Mavs, Suns, and Pistons if I recall correctly, and perhaps Heat.

While all of those teams were pretty good, all of them except spurs are nothing compared to the juggernauts that we have today.. La, Cavs, Boston, Spurs, and Orlando.. (Nuggets?).

Kobe didn't have a team, and Jackson let him go berserk shooting-wise in that rebuild-year. Lebron's supporting cast was limited. Arenas exploded onto the scene with his accurate chucking(brutal 60 gamer against lakers) but he didn't have a solid team. Pierce was bottom feeder. Allen gets eventually gets traded. Redd, still a bottom feeder.. Regardless all of those "elite" scorers were NOT on an elite team..... except...

Dirk. He WAS on an elite and a pretty good scorer. Then again he's the only Big out of these people, but if you analyze his shot selections a tad bit more you would realize that he does everything from 10-23 feet. And I mean everything. Shooting 49% from 10-15 feet and a remarkable 47% from 15-23. His scoring this year is 25.9, so he only saw a VERY slight dip in ppg from becoming "elite" to "meh". Wade's scoring took a jump when he went from "elite" to "meh"

TLDR version:
With that all said and done, I conclude that if you're on an Elite level team your scoring takes a dip. Isn't that like a "duh"?

*notice Kobe and Lebron went down this year compared to 05-06
*notice Wade went up this year compared to 05-06

LebronsCavs wrote:Kobe's 35,5,4 really doesnt look that remarkable next to Lebrons 31/7/7 and even AI's 33/8.

I like how you Round up 7.4 to 8 for Iverson, 6.6 to 7 for Lebron... but 4.5 down 4 for Kobe. You silly troll you.
Chosen01
RealGM
And1: 534

Post#23 » by Chosen01 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:13 pm

You forgot Wade... that was his best scoring season at the time

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
05-06 MIA 75 75 38.6 0.495 0.171 0.783 1.4 4.3 5.7 6.7 2.0 0.8 3.57 2.90 27.2
AIRTIGHT
Junior
And1: 1

Post#24 » by AIRTIGHT » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:34 pm

Speedlot wrote:Quite a few of those players having a "dominant scoring" (in case lebocavs don't understand the topic of discussion) year is due to the fact that they were all in crappy teams or injured(arenas). The elite teams were Spurs, Mavs, Suns, and Pistons if I recall correctly, and perhaps Heat.

Yes ..(in addition to the apparent implementation of some sort of protocol to aid stars in scoring- unless everybody was just on great teams the year before and then about 15 teams got *hitty). And my argument and main point for bringing up this issue is that the seasons of these other stars all took a backseat to Kobe's. Granted I believe his season was individually more impressive than most everyone else on that list, it wasn't nearly as much impressive as fans and media made it to be, or how they remember it to be. Laker fans till this day use this as an ace "well what about when Kobe averaged 35, he had streaks of 40pts, scored 81 scored 62 in 3quarters- how many times has Jordan/Bird/Shaq/Lebron done that!". When the reality is that the same season Kobe averaged 35, Iverson averaged 33 while simultaneously operating the best shooting percentage of his career. Iverson's season is rarely if every revisited historically, but Kobe's is supposed to be one of the all time great performances ever?

It's obvious how much the casual basketball 'society' (e.g. media+fans) is pulling for this guy. Every star in the league has a conspicuous jump in scoring ability, yet Kobe is singled out and hailed as an all time great for only barely outperforming guys who are never ever mentioned as all-time greats? Biased beyond reproach.
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 900

Post#25 » by Wile E. Coyote » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 pm

AIRTIGHT wrote:It's obvious how much the casual basketball 'society' (e.g. media+fans) is pulling for this guy. Every star in the league has a conspicuous jump in scoring ability, yet Kobe is singled out and hailed as an all time great for only barely outperforming guys who are never ever mentioned as all-time greats? Biased beyond reproach.

It also happens because Kobe is arguably one of the dozen best basketball players ever.

As as example from the 80s, you are going to be hearing about Larry Bird's scoring exploits much more than Dominique Wilkins.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Speedlot » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:50 am

AIRTIGHT wrote:
Speedlot wrote:Quite a few of those players having a "dominant scoring" (in case lebocavs don't understand the topic of discussion) year is due to the fact that they were all in crappy teams or injured(arenas). The elite teams were Spurs, Mavs, Suns, and Pistons if I recall correctly, and perhaps Heat.

Yes ..(in addition to the apparent implementation of some sort of protocol to aid stars in scoring- unless everybody was just on great teams the year before and then about 15 teams got *hitty). And my argument and main point for bringing up this issue is that the seasons of these other stars all took a backseat to Kobe's. Granted I believe his season was individually more impressive than most everyone else on that list, it wasn't nearly as much impressive as fans and media made it to be, or how they remember it to be. Laker fans till this day use this as an ace "well what about when Kobe averaged 35, he had streaks of 40pts, scored 81 scored 62 in 3quarters- how many times has Jordan/Bird/Shaq/Lebron done that!". When the reality is that the same season Kobe averaged 35, Iverson averaged 33 while simultaneously operating the best shooting percentage of his career. Iverson's season is rarely if every revisited historically, but Kobe's is supposed to be one of the all time great performances ever?

It's obvious how much the casual basketball 'society' (e.g. media+fans) is pulling for this guy. Every star in the league has a conspicuous jump in scoring ability, yet Kobe is singled out and hailed as an all time great for only barely outperforming guys who are never ever mentioned as all-time greats? Biased beyond reproach.

For one.. get your facts straight.

Iverson was 33ppg on 44.7% shooting
Kobe was 35ppg on 45.0% shooting

It is obvious who did better scoring wise. Good job on iverson

Secondly Iverson shot 46.1% on 22ppg his 2nd season so your " Iverson averaged 33 while simultaneously operating the best shooting percentage of his career. " is tee hee.. WRONG.

Still good job AI.
AIRTIGHT
Junior
And1: 1

Post#27 » by AIRTIGHT » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:02 am

^TS% And I acknowledged that Iverson averaged scored at a higher % while scoring 22.8pts at Denver in the first post of this thread. The idea being that 33pts/54% is a greater and more impressive scoring rate than 22.8 at 56.7% ... So that means I'm thinking ahead of you, by almost a week..
Speedlot
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Speedlot » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:31 am

So now you conveniently making "shooting percentage" into TS%. Or is it your honest mistake? You left out the simple details of stats you're referring to. Why didn't you clarify that earlier? Vagueness in your posts wins the internet?

Regardless

Now Iverson has .543 TS% while scoring 33ppg
Kobe has has .559 TS% and Kobe 35ppg

The idea being that 35pts/55.9% is quite EASILY and rather unquestionably more impessive scoring rate thatn 33pts/54.3%.

Obvious choice on scoring? Quite so.
Not to mention AI playing only 72 games gaining a sub .500 win team. Kudos to him in the end, but Kobe's scoring season was just that much more incredible when compared to AI.

Return to Player Comparisons