29%

Total votes: 112

Scoob Seriously
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: John Stockton vs. Steve Nash 

Post#81 » by Scoob Seriously » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:19 pm

Scoob Seriously wrote:
kooldude wrote:I'll say it again, Stockton is the 2nd most overrated player in history if you think he's comparable to Nash or even better.

Damn, you haven't read the TOS, can't read or are willing to subject yourself to suspension.

Damn, i don't know how calling someone an idiot after making an idiotic statement is "unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, vulgar, obscene, profane or otherwise objectionable" So maybe i'm not the one with the reading comprehension problem.

If you somehow consider that "abusive" then so be it. It is certainly no more abusive than a mod suggesting someone can't read.
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#82 » by Biff » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:59 am

I love how nobody responds to tsherkin's posts.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#83 » by Pai Gow » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:05 am

How is calling stockton a "dirty mofo" a rebuttal against his defense? Plenty of players are chippy n the league to this date and Stockton didn't just use "tricks" guy got his nose dirty, body up players and pestered them all over the floor. You'd never see Nash do that let alone have the ability to steal the ball the way stock did.

It's not stocks fault that ticky tack **** is called in this era also that if anything helps Nash's offensive game quite a bit, if Nash played in the 90's during stock's prime he wouldn't have even been a top 5 point guard. The era Nash got his "MVP" awards was one of the worst in the history of the NBA

Also Nash wouldn't have sniffed a Mvp vote had he played with Malone either so I can't see how that argument is relative for a comparison of the two.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#84 » by Jimmy76 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:09 am

tsherkin wrote:
ele.ven wrote: As far as I can tell, that conclusion is that Stockton holds the edge.

Then it's a good thing you're not an analyst.

Stockton wasn't really as capable a scorer as Nash. Very good at cherry-picking opportunities in transition and scoring off the PnR, but while he could score in an iso from time to time, he mostly used picks and got behind the D on the break to do it, or otherwise played off of Malone. Nash has a lot more native ability to get by quicker, bigger, more athletic players with his advanced handle and better shot.

Now as far as passing, that's a function of his increased usage rate compared to Stockton. Stockton's usage rate peaked at 20.9. Nash's usage has been 21.1 or higher his entire time in Phoenix. He's more involved as a scorer and it shows... and part of how it shows is his lower AST% and his somewhat lower peak assist-per-game averages.

And yes, playing with a 2-time MVP who knew what he was doing in a post isolation versus playing a Amare Stoudemire and his reconstructed knees makes a big difference in how you play the game. The Jazz were annually among the SLOWEST teams in the league under the Stockton/Malone/Sloan regime. Part of this was that they ran a lot of post game and pick-and-rolls... and a lot more spots where Stockton was giving up the ball...

Because he was a relatively pedestrian athlete with a pretty good shot and a great basketball IQ.

But he was shorter than Nash, not as good a shooter, and Nash is doing about as much with Amare as Stockton did with the much better Malone.

There is no stat that gives you a clear idea that Stockton was better than Nash... and in terms of offense, at least, that is because Stockton is better. There isn't a favorable edge in offensive efficiency (career average TS% within 0.03%, similar peak, etc), similar peaks in ORTG, etc, etc. All despite the fact that Nash had and has more responsibility on the offensive end than just giving up the ball to the second-most prolific scorer in NBA history.

Oh. Right.

And Nash doesn't suck as a scorer at the age of 35. In fact, at the age of 35, when Stockton was preparing for an epic choke-job in the 98 Finals, Nash is busy matching the second-highest scoring output of Stockton's career while posting a TS% higher than anything Stockton ever managed.

If you want to make the argument that Stockton was better, you cannot argue it based on team success, because Stockton enjoyed better defensive personnel and a better second man. You can't argue it on offensive production or efficiency, because neither of those convincingly favor Stockton.

You'd HAVE to argue it on the basis of the notable difference in defense... but you couldn't make a convincing argument based on man defense. Stockton was only ever more effective because he was allowed to handcheck and grab a lot, which is entirely illegal and penalized heavily now. And he was exploited regularly by bigger guards (Payton) and more athletic guards (like KJ, for example).

So the only way you're going to argue Stockton was better is on the basis of team defense. And that's something that favors him, sure, but is it enough to call him a better player? Not in my opinion, given the differences in offensive value that DO favor Stockton and the fact that he very nearly replicated Stockton's greatest career feat (making it to the Finals), but for a big playoff injury to JJ and then the fact that he did it again the year after without Amare Stoudemire and with Boris Diaw replacing STAT. Boris Diaw. Yeah, he had shooters and roleplayers and Marion and whatever, but was that Phoenix team considerably better than the 97 Jazz? No, not particularly.

Stockton was good, no doubt. Top 30, 35 good, maybe. But while he has big stats, he also has some rather alarming failures that take the luster of nostalgic memory of his value as a player. In-era, he was not regularly considered the best point guard in the league even after Magic retired, and he had a notable lack of big-game scoring ability. Nash had a 3-year run where he was topping some rather notable players, and it might have lasted longer if the Suns hadn't declined under Robert Sarver's incompetent ownership.

gets followed up with

NY Kicks wrote:Definitely Stockton...

this (not the exact post right after is JordonsBulls going "Stockton")

:lol:

Id responsd to tshekin except all i can say is +1 I totally agree

Fighting the consensus which is based on nothing but hearing it said a couple times by people who have given zero thought to the matter with actual reasoning never works

The more time I spend on these forums the more I realise how effective the "Big Lie" strategy actually is (unrelated political note but its interesting)
Scoob Seriously
Sophomore

Post#85 » by Scoob Seriously » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:15 am

Biff wrote:I love how nobody responds to tsherkin's posts.

That's what happens when you call a 36 year old player shooting 49%, 9.8 assists, and 2 steals against one of the better defence's in existance keying in on you an "epic choke job" and ridiculous statements like "Stockton was only ever more effective because he was allowed to handcheck and grab a lot, which is entirely illegal and penalized heavily now"

Why do people like to compare Malone to Stoudemire? Can we compare the rest of the rosters both players had to work with?
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#86 » by Biff » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:40 am

Scoob Seriously wrote:
Biff wrote:I love how nobody responds to tsherkin's posts.

That's what happens when you call a 36 year old player shooting 49%, 9.8 assists, and 2 steals against one of the better defence's in existance keying in on you an "epic choke job" and ridiculous statements like "Stockton was only ever more effective because he was allowed to handcheck and grab a lot, which is entirely illegal and penalized heavily now"

Why do people like to compare Malone to Stoudemire? Can we compare the rest of the rosters both players had to work with?

Sure, but I'd take Malone over both Stoudemire AND Marion, so let's compare the rest of the rosters minus those 3.

I'll let tsherkin address the rest, since you're responding to his points specifically.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#87 » by Pai Gow » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:41 am

Pippen>>>>>Bowen. Not even close to debatable, the Bulls had one of the best if not the best perimeter defenses of all-time.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,667

Post#88 » by tsherkin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:43 am

Scoob Seriously wrote:That's what happens when you call a 36 year old player shooting 49%, 9.8 assists, and 2 steals against one of the better defence's in existance keying in on you an "epic choke job" and ridiculous statements like "Stockton was only ever more effective because he was allowed to handcheck and grab a lot, which is entirely illegal and penalized heavily now"

You're missing the point. Stockton in the 1997 Finals was a 15 ppg player against that exact same defense. He played pretty well in 97. By comparison in 98, when he was needed most, Stockton was incapable of averaging 10 ppg against that same defense in a series where it was functionally apparent that Malone needed more help against one of the best defenses in the league. That's epic-choke in my book.

And my comment about hand-checking was pertaining to defense; it's functionally clear that hand-checking was one of the biggest ways in which Stockton over came his small size and lack of physical advantages compared to his peers on the defensive end.

Stockton was a dirty, dirty player. I think that was great, I loved mid-90s ball. But those were in-era benefits that helped him defend, and he still got smoked by KJ and Payton and Hardaway and most of the good-scoring points. Stock's help defense was a lot better, but he also played on teams with a lot of good individual and team defenders. That doesn't make up all the difference, but it's a far from playing with Amare and Channing Frye and Jason Richardson, as opposed to Ostertag, Malone (who, *gasp* made the All-Defensive Team a few times), and the other guys that played on the Jazz. To say nothing of MARK EATON (the only man to ever average 5+ bpg).

Come on, man. The points I made were 100% valid.
cjs55
Pro Prospect
And1: 17

Post#89 » by cjs55 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:13 am

So, if Stockton was only a good defender because he could hand check, does that mean he was a better offensive player than Nash? because his peak numbers came in the hand-checking era and are quite similar to Nash's peak. Or do hand-checks only count when Stockton is allowed to use them?

Nash may be a better shooter than Stockton, but you make it sound like there is a large gap between them. Stockton is one of the best shooters in NBA history. So is Nash. And Stockton had to deal with handchecking in his era. Nash is better at creating his own shot though, I will give you that. It is the primary advantage Nash has over Stockton, and the only one.

Stockton is the better passer, period. Nash might be more creative, again, but Stockton's efficiency trumps any other considerations. It is simply mind-boggling how perfect Stockton was in efficient offensive execution.

You cherry pick Stockton's worst year in the playoffs as proof of his ineffectiveness in pressure situations. Ignoring his fantastic performance in 1997, his being the #1 option in taking the Jazz to the finals over Houston (he took over the end of game 6 on the road for the Jazz, not just the 3 point shot everyone knows about). You totally discount some very impressive early playoff numbers in the late 80's and early 90's as well. Perhaps if Nash has a bad series in the playoffs as he ages further I can do the same against him? He's 36 this year, same as Stock was in 98, so I guess if Nash has a subpar performance in the playoffs this year then your argument is moot? Stockton also had to deal with possibly the best perimeter defender in NBA history in Pippen in those series'. Bowen was a great defender, but he is not comparable. Pippen's length and quickness were insane.

I will admit that Nash is the better ISO offensive player to turn to in the clutch than Stockton. This does not make him a lesser player than Nash. But it is an advantage Nash has. But to consider Stockton a choke artist and incapable of stepping it up in pressure situations is simply absurd and requires you to be very selective in your presentation of evidence. By the fans, Stock was long considered the most clutch player on the Jazz, over Malone.

I find it absurd to suggest that Nash is anywhere close to Stockton defensively. The steal gap alone is worth roughly a 4 point swing per game alone. Anyone who watched Stockton over his career knows that he was a better defender than Nash in every facet of defense. Yes, he was able to handcheck and Nash isn't. But prove to me that he wouldn't still be better than Nash without handchecking. For myself, having watched Stockton's career starting in the early 90's and most of Nash's career...my eyes tell me it's not even close. Stockton's defensive effort, ability, and intelligence is far above Nash's. Yes, big guards could push him around, but Stockton was better at denying position and entry passes. Yes athletic and fast guards could get by him, but Stockton was much more intelligent in directing them towards the team defense in managable ways. This argument is much more subjective...but I find that anyone who watched the two play over their careers would agree with me.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Post#90 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 am

bastillon wrote:Nash's jumpshot is just too good not to fall.

Like I said, he had an NBA worst in game winning shots the years 82games.com kept track...
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Post#91 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:58 am

cjs55 wrote:So, if Stockton was only a good defender because he could hand check, does that mean he was a better offensive player than Nash? because his peak numbers came in the hand-checking era and are quite similar to Nash's peak. Or do hand-checks only count when Stockton is allowed to use them?

:clap:
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
MaryvalesFinest
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#92 » by MaryvalesFinest » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:42 am

I'm not even a Nash fan but he's clearly better than Stockton. Watching Stockton play was like watching wet paint dry on a wall.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#93 » by rsavaj » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:58 am

MaryvalesFinest wrote:I'm not even a Nash fan but he's clearly better than Stockton. Watching Stockton play was like watching wet paint dry on a wall.

lol Mary you continue to surprise me.
DaDragicShow
Banned User

Post#94 » by DaDragicShow » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:07 am

MaryvalesFinest wrote:I'm not even a Nash fan but he's clearly better than Stockton. Watching Stockton play was like watching wet paint dry on a wall.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the Suns fans will pick Stockton over Nash on this one.

Don't get me wrong, Steve Nash is an amazing pg but just isn't on the same level as Stockton.
HammerDunk
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by HammerDunk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:12 am

While you guys argue about Nash's MVPs, I will make the statement that without Stockton, Malone would never have gotten his MVPs, so you might as well count those ones for him. You talk about how good Nash made the players around him, but he never made any of them MVPs. Isn't that the true role of a PG? I mean, unless that PG is leading their team to the finals with their MVPs, they are kinda worthless. I would much rather have my PG leading my PF to a league MVP if it means getting a shot at the Finals.
Word is, South Beach is ecstatic that they
won't be seeing Millsaps talents again this season...
MaryvalesFinest
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by MaryvalesFinest » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:34 am

rsavaj wrote:

lol Mary you continue to surprise me.

Yeah even I admit Nash has his positives :lol:
MaryvalesFinest
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by MaryvalesFinest » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:35 am

arizonaplaya85 wrote:

I'm pretty sure 99% of the Suns fans will pick Stockton over Nash on this one.

Don't get me wrong, Steve Nash is an amazing pg but just isn't on the same level as Stockton.

I guess I'm in the 1% than :lol:
bastillon
Head Coach
And1: 613

Post#98 » by bastillon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:42 am

Like I said, he had an NBA worst in game winning shots the years 82games.com kept track...

just because you said it, it doesn't mean that it's true. FYI Nash has had 2 game-winners this year, your data suggested he went 1 for 15, I remember at least GWs vs Dallas in the playoffs, vs Nets in his career high game, vs GSW once... and they're taken right away from my memory. unless you provide us some legit data, you have no reason to be in this thread.

Pippen>>>>>Bowen. Not even close to debatable, the Bulls had one of the best if not the best perimeter defenses of all-time.

yeah, but Spurs also had a shotblocker Duncan protecting the rim and who was exactly Bulls' shotblocker ? I suppose Jordan was ? now look, having perennial all-defensive player and all-time great anchor defensively is much better than having GOAT perimeter defender without ANY shotblocking. if you think '98 Bulls were much better defensively than '03, '05 or '07 Spurs then well...

Code: Select all

DRtg   lg avg   diff
Bulls 98    99.8    105.0    5.2
Spurs 03    99.7    103.6    3.9
Spurs 05    98.8    106.1    7.3
Spurs 07    99.9    106.5    6.6

they were more dominant defensively than the '03 Spurs, but they were no better than either '05 or '07 version.

Nash averaged 23.2, 10.6 and 3.8 in '05 and he Amare scored those 37 PPG mostly off of Nash's passes.
in '07 Nash was even better, that was a year where his MVP streak ended and he was a top tier candidate all season long. Nowitzki ended up with epic choke in the first round and Nash, after destroying easily the LA, avged 21.3/12.7/3.7 against the Spurs in that memorable series with suspensions and everything.

so Nash has proven he could do significantly more damage than Stockton to better defense than '98 Bulls AND he has done it REPEATEDLY. not to mention Nash did it as the man while Stockton was riding Malone's jock the entire time. to somehow assume Nash would do worse than 10/9 in '98 finals is as stupid as thinking Amare could do as well as Malone as the man in Utah.

and if anyone thinks Stockton was even somewhat comparable as a shooter then I gotta laugh. sorry. Nash is right at the Bird/Reggie/Ray/Nowitzki level as far as shooting concerned. we're talking about over 90% FT shooter in his prime. one could make a case for Nash as the greatest shooter of all-time... and you're comparing him to a guy who shot FTs 82.6% ? Stockton was NOTHING as a shooter in comparison to Nash. not to mention Nash had much better range as he shot threes with almost 50% repeatedly. I mean... Stockton was a good shooter, a little better than league avg PG in that regard, but Nash was an all-time great shooter and there's a huge difference between them here.
Quotatious wrote: Bastillon is Hakeem. Combines style and substance.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,667

Post#99 » by tsherkin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:29 am

cjs55 wrote:So, if Stockton was only a good defender because he could hand check, does that mean he was a better offensive player than Nash? because his peak numbers came in the hand-checking era and are quite similar to Nash's peak. Or do hand-checks only count when Stockton is allowed to use them?

No, you mistake me; I mean to say that Stockton didn't get exposed as much as he might have been as a MAN defender because of hand-checking. The team defense is clearly the product of him being better at it than Nash. I suspect some of it, a small part, comes from having a lot more energy as a result of being a lot less involved in energetically CREATING offense off the dribble as opposed to working off screens, but all in all, there's no doubting that there's a notable margin in Stockton's favor there.

In any case, the difference on offense exists prior to the major implementation of anti-hand-checking rules. Nash was a comparable three-point shooter in Dallas against his own body of work in Phoenix and the difference in FG% is a slight up-tick (he was mainly a 47-48% FG shooter in Dallas, and 40%+ 3P every year but his first). This isn't really an angle you want to pursue; there's absolutely no question that Steve Nash is a superior scorer compared to Stockton.

Nash may be a better shooter than Stockton, but you make it sound like there is a large gap between them.

Only in terms of shooting ability, not in the sense of general comparison. There's a significant gap, in my opinion, but not a massive one that yawns as wide as the Grand Canyon, say. Stockton's defensive advantage cannot be ignored. Team defense is meaningful and impactful, no question.

Stockton is one of the best shooters in NBA history.

Good Lord, no. Stockton was a good shooter, but by no means was he historically good. In his own era, he wasn't even significantly separated from a wealth of other shooters like Price, Hornacek, Jeff Malone, Dell Curry, Glen Rice, Dale Ellis, Chris Mullin, Reggie Miller, Ray Allen... I mean, there were a half-dozen or more shooters in pretty much every season that Stockton played that were at least as good, if not better, and that's in the overall sense. There were a LOT of shooters who were better from downtown and the line.

Nash is better at creating his own shot though, I will give you that. It is the primary advantage Nash has over Stockton, and the only one.

Nash has significantly better handles, yes, and a much greater capacity for creating shots and hitting them, even the tough ones.

Stockton is the better passer, period. Nash might be more creative, again, but Stockton's efficiency trumps any other considerations. It is simply mind-boggling how perfect Stockton was in efficient offensive execution.

This ignores the assist inflation that others have discussed, AND the difference in offensive load. Stockton produced more assists because he shot less, and because he was called upon to create less offense for himself, he produced fewer turnovers.

Stockton was not a better passer. The only phrase you can use there is "more prolific." He produced more assists. He didn't impact his teammates on a more significant basis and he wasn't more valuable on offense. You plug Nash into those Utah teams, and their offense is AT LEAST as effective, but probably more effective. How they do as a team, well, that's another story. I opine that they would have won it all in 1998 after failing to make the Finals in 1997, but that's entirely hypothetical.

You cherry pick Stockton's worst year in the playoffs as proof of his ineffectiveness in pressure situations.

No, I brought that up to highlight the differing effects of age on the two players, not to specifically look at Stockton's body of playoff work.

Yes athletic and fast guards could get by him, but Stockton was much more intelligent in directing them towards the team defense in managable ways.

That's a meaningless argument, if only because Stockton actually HAD teammates who could do something if/when he funneled them in one direction or another. Ostertag/Malone is a lot more valuable as a frontcourt pair backing you up than Amare Stoudemire and Channing Frye, for example.

This argument is much more subjective...but I find that anyone who watched the two play over their careers would agree with me.

There's no question that Stockton was the better defender. I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't by commenting on the hand-checks, I only meant specifically that Stockton would have been a lot less effective as a man defender without them because he was actually less athletic and smaller than Nash. The team defense wouldn't have changed much. Maybe an extra foul here and there, but it's unlikely; the refs wouldn't be any more likely to see his dirty BS now as then, because he really was quite adept at picking his spots.

But that's the thing, that was Stockton; he picked his spots. He did so because he didn't have the ability to take command of the situation on a regular basis, so he waited until something developed, a shatterpoint, and then took advantage of it. He maximized his skills and never forced anything, which made him a very good counterpoint to Malone, who was the bull of the team.

Nash is a different player; he's more dynamic and he's led some historic offenses that were designed with him at the helm, and a considerably inferior PF (only as compared to Malone, of course) and that really separates the two PGs in this discussion offensively.
Don Draper
General Manager
And1: 506

Post#100 » by Don Draper » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:59 am

I'm sorry but Nash is better than Stockton. John Stockton is one of the most overrated defenders I have ever seen. For some reason fans think just b/c you are a good defender you will get steals. This is the same Stockton who got lit up by Kenny Smith in 2 straight playoff series. The same Stockton that got 50+ dropped on him by Abdul-Rauf. Stockton was certainly more crafty on defense, but he was equally as bad man to man.

EDIT: I remember watching all the playoff series with the Jazz and I can tell you from my point of view I feard Malone and Horncek much more than I feared Stockton. Stockton was the steady hand of that team but he I seriously do not believe he could have done what Nash did for the Suns which much worse much worse talent.
soda wrote:I will never, ever, ever vote for a socialist. I'd vote for a member of the KKK first. I'd vote for Hitler first, because the Nazis have less blood on their hands

This is the state of modern day political discourse.

Return to Player Comparisons