Beasley or Gallinari?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Who's the better player now and in the future?

Michael Beasley
43%
Danilo Gallinari
57%

Total votes: 140

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,091
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Beasley or Gallinari? 

Post#101 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:51 am

Why is everyone talking about Lampe, Frye, and Sweetney? Gallinari is a much better prospect than allof them, and actually could have gone higher than he did, in a pretty talented draft.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Post#102 » by Hallstar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:23 am

Beasley

lol @ the poll,

3 of Gallinari's 4 made shots per game are 3s

This isn't even worth arguing
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#103 » by bringinhinkie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:56 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Why is everyone talking about Lampe, Frye, and Sweetney? Gallinari is a much better prospect than allof them, and actually could have gone higher than he did, in a pretty talented draft.

every thread regarding a knicks prospect you are going to see frye and sweetneys' names pop up.. lampe, that is going way back-bit of a stretch

the problem is generalizing knick fans.. yes there are tons of dumb knick fans on here, do the math, every team has a number of "ill-informed" fans and the knicks board is one of if not the largest on here so naturally you are gonna see more cluess knick fans than most teams.. yes there were people out there who said they wouldnt deal frye for kg, yes there are knick fans on here that wouldnt trade gallo for just about anything (even had people on there saying they wouldnt move him for deron williams), etc etc.. but that doesn't mean every knick fan is that clueless!! like you cant seriously try and pull this overrating your prospects bullsh*t to a guy like manhattan project (for example, just a name i saw in here being generalized, not saying every other knick fan in this thread is clueless i only skimmed it) who is in the minority of knick fans that knows what they are talking about..
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#104 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:13 am

so a spot shooter is winning this poll..lol @ the people voting.
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:15 am

CB4MiamiHeat wrote:so a spot shooter is winning this poll..lol @ the people voting.

Actually a spot up shooter is losing the poll.

A ball handler, ball distributor, scorer with superior range and ability to put the ball on the floor, and better shotblocker is winning the poll.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Post#106 » by Hallstar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:18 am

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:
CB4MiamiHeat wrote:so a spot shooter is winning this poll..lol @ the people voting.

A ball handler, ball distributor, scorer with superior range and ability to put the ball on the floor, and better shotblocker is winning the poll.

74% of Gallinari's shots are assisted

58% of Beasley's
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager

Post#107 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:27 am

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:

Gallinari is a spot up 3pt shooter on a fast paced team.
Beasley is a true scorer, he creates his own shot. Shoots 3s, midrange, and drives to the basket.

heres a link for you:
http://www.nba.com/hotspots/
since you dont watch the games, thatll help you get an idea of their games.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#108 » by bringinhinkie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:56 am

CB4MiamiHeat wrote:
WadeKnicks2010 wrote:

Gallinari is a spot up 3pt shooter on a fast paced team.
Beasley is a true scorer, he creates his own shot. Shoots 3s, midrange, and drives to the basket.

heres a link for you:
http://www.nba.com/hotspots/
since you dont watch the games, thatll help you get an idea of their games.

gallinari is not a spot up shooter, regardless of what the stats might infer (since thats all you people look at)

http://fromthebaseline.com/videos/1249- ... 2#JOSC_TOP

not even close
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:59 am

Gallinari isn't only a spot up shooter, but that's mostly what he's being relegated to at the moment. He's got pretty good potential as a point forward though, more so than Beasley.

I htink Beasley is the better and more talented player, but Gallinari is a great prospect as well.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NYK 455
General Manager
And1: 161

Post#110 » by NYK 455 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:15 am

At this point Beasley is a better scorer and rebounder, and Gallo is a better shooter, playmaker, and defender. It's pretty close, but I'm happy with the way Gallo has been progressing.
CoolD
Lead Assistant
And1: 971

Post#111 » by CoolD » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:30 am

Prospect Dong wrote:I think there needs to be a realgm equivalent of Megan's law, so that any poster who took the Sweetney side of "Sweetney or Bosh" or the Ariza side of "Iggy or Ariza" needs to declare it at the start of their PC posts - cause there's a few guys here who would pimp for anyone and anything that happened to be dressed in orange and blue.

I'll take Beasley, but not by a huge amount. I think D'Antoni's system tends to inflate stats a little, and it's early enough in their careers that I'll pick the one who came into the league as the more touted prospect until I get clear indications to the contrary.

I haven't watched much of Gallo, but am always suspicious of numbers put in a D''Antoni system, they tend ot be inflated.
Heat have no gimmicks in their offense, stat inflation, so Beasley's numbers, might actually be deflated to what he is really capable of, tonight D Wade wasn't forced to play the fourth, Beasley hit 28 points and 11 rebounds.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:41 am

You can't inflate shooting percentages with a system. Gallinari is taking a ton of 3's and he's making them.
NYK 455
General Manager
And1: 161

Post#113 » by NYK 455 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:44 am

For all the people taking Beasley, there are legit reasons, but "inflated stats" are not one of them. Matter of fact, Beasley takes three more shots a game than Gallinari.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#114 » by Jimmy76 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:51 am

Im taking Beasley because he rebounds better and is clearly more advanced and has more potential as a scorer. Im not sold Gallanari has significantly better defense so Ill leave that a wash for now. All that leaves for Gallanari is his supposed playmaking ability but an ast% of 8 doesnt exactly suggest he's been much of a playmaker up to this point.

Gallanari is more efficient than Beasley for sure but Kyle Korver is more efficient than Kobe some years. Am I saying Gallanari is Korver? No what im saying is that as of now Gallanari has been shooting a bunch of assisted spot up 3's. Beasley can be a second option while Gallanari is currently functioning as a super spot up shooter. Not saying thats all he'll be but thats all we've seen.

Im high on both these guys for the record.
CoolD
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by CoolD » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:53 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:You can't inflate shooting percentages with a system. Gallinari is taking a ton of 3's and he's making them.

Ofcourse you can.
In a system like Boston, they have a lot of passing, eating the shot clock. In previous season with D'Antoni, any time you want to take a shot, you have the green light. So any guy with a good stroke, that is not afraid that the coach is going to jank him for taking stupid early in the shot clock shots, that if you miss, will put your defense in disadvantage, because the long rebound leads to a fastbreak, and your defense is not ready.
Also the pace, the fact D'Antoni intentionally has more shots put up.
So the fact D'Antoni is a green light, I let you take any shot you want type of coach, plays a big role, Also the pace, also the fact D'Antoni loves three point shooters.
If Gallo had hardass coach, that will make him play all around ball, the guy would probably be struggling.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 am

Passing and eating the shot clock doesn't inflate your percentages, that wouldn't even work if Boston didn't have great players to play off of. You can inflate shooting percentages playing next to a guy like Shaq, giving someone the green light to shoot doesn't increase efficiency, it usually does the opposite.
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#117 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:39 am

CoolD wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:You can't inflate shooting percentages with a system. Gallinari is taking a ton of 3's and he's making them.

Ofcourse you can.
In a system like Boston, they have a lot of passing, eating the shot clock. In previous season with D'Antoni, any time you want to take a shot, you have the green light. So any guy with a good stroke, that is not afraid that the coach is going to jank him for taking stupid early in the shot clock shots, that if you miss, will put your defense in disadvantage, because the long rebound leads to a fastbreak, and your defense is not ready.
Also the pace, the fact D'Antoni intentionally has more shots put up.
So the fact D'Antoni is a green light, I let you take any shot you want type of coach, plays a big role, Also the pace, also the fact D'Antoni loves three point shooters.
If Gallo had hardass coach, that will make him play all around ball, the guy would probably be struggling.

'Any guy with a good stroke' you say...so is it the system that's jacking up percentages, or is it because the guy has a good stroke? None of the stuff you posted backs up your claim. Pushing the pace and jacking up shots doesn't guarantee anything. Hughes is shooting 39%; Duhon is shooting 33%; Wilson Chandler is shooting 43%. The system doesn't jack up anyone's percentages. But the biggest flaw in your argument is that you fail to realize that the Knicks haven't even been running D'Antoni's typical run and gun offense. If Gallo had a hardass coach, he'd be doing just as well, maybe even better, because he DOES play all around ball. Saying he doesn't is just further proof you don't know what you're talking about.
CoolD
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by CoolD » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:46 am

Green light for Steve Nash has helped him, when Steve Nash wasn't allowed to play his fast tempo do whatever I feel like it, he had his numbers plummet last year, so they had to go back to what worked, and I can't blame them. Though I havent' seen much of Gallo, but It would be concerning to me, If I was a huge fan of a jump shooting big, that all he can do is shoot, once D'Antoni is out of town, and a coach might ask him to play defense, and actually play in the block, things might look quite different.
How did Nash percentage get better playing along Shaq?
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager

Post#119 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:50 am

His percentages are not inflated, but his raw stats are.
Knicks put up the 4th most shots in the league, Heat are near the bottom.
Knicks put up the 2nd most 3s in the league, Hear are in the bottom half.

Hes gonna have to better at creating his own shot and better at driving to the basket to match his 14ppg if he played in Miami. Hes not putting up 6.5 threes a game on a traditional half court team like the Heat.

I mean, i dont see Al Harrington as a true 20ppg scorer. Or Lee as a near 20-10 guy. You gotta skew the statistics a bit when a guy is not only on a bad team..but on a bad team AND a team that plays in a gimmicky way.
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant

Post#120 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:52 am

We're not comparing the Knicks to the Heat. We're comparing Gallinari to Beasley. Beasley plays more minutes and shoots more shots than Gallinari.

Return to Player Comparisons