Beasley or Gallinari?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Who's the better player now and in the future?

Michael Beasley
43%
Danilo Gallinari
57%

Total votes: 140

NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Beasley or Gallinari? 

Post#121 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:56 am

CoolD wrote:Green light for Steve Nash has helped him, when Steve Nash wasn't allowed to play his fast tempo do whatever I feel like it, he had his numbers plummet last year, so they had to go back to what worked, and I can't blame them. Though I havent' seen much of Gallo, but It would be concerning to me, If I was a huge fan of a jump shooting big, that all he can do is shoot, once D'Antoni is out of town, and a coach might ask him to play defense, and actually play in the block, things might look quite different.
How did Nash percentage get better playing along Shaq?

First you say you haven't seen much of Gallo and then you characterize him as a big man that can only shoot and doesn't play defense. There's no sense in you continuing to post in this thread, really.
NYKnick87
Banned User

Post#122 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:57 am

CB4MiamiHeat wrote:His percentages are not inflated, but his raw stats are.
Knicks put up the 4th most shots in the league, Heat are near the bottom.
Knicks put up the 2nd most 3s in the league, Hear are in the bottom half.

Hes gonna have to better at creating his own shot and better at driving to the basket to match his 14ppg if he played in Miami. Hes not putting up 6.5 threes a game on a traditional half court team like the Heat.

I mean, i dont see Al Harrington as a true 20ppg scorer. Or Lee as a near 20-10 guy. You gotta skew the statistics a bit when a guy is not only on a bad team..but on a bad team AND a team that plays in a gimmicky way.

'gimmicky way' lol...I love it when people just throw phrases out there.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#123 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:04 am

gallo by far. beasely just doesn't look like the type of guy that is going to give a damn. when you have two players that are similar talent wise, you go with the harder working one.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#124 » by CB-Blazer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:59 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:gallo by far. beasely just doesn't look like the type of guy that is going to give a damn. when you have two players that are similar talent wise, you go with the harder working one.

It's posts like these that get applied to all Knick fans.

"Gallo by far" are you ridiculous? You sir are a fricken homer.

Also, how do you know how hard Beasley works? I haven't heard one peep about Beasley having anything but a good work ethic.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#125 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:21 pm

I think generally, you can say D'Antoni's system can (not neccesserely but can) inflate the stats. Though i don't think that's the case with Gallo. The most consistent thing about him is actually his game. Other than that, you never know... One game D'Antoni will let him play, his teammates are finding him, and the next night he takes 4 shot attempts, D'Antoni plays him only 20 minutes, and everybody ignores him. The really great thing about him though, is that he's really unselfish. He's not averaging a lot of assists, but he won't force anything, rarely takes bad shot attempts, and will always try his best to do the little things, just like last night, when his shot was off.

About their passing game. I think it's not about the stats. It's the passes Gallo can make when given the opportunity. He'll be a really good passer. Beasley can pass the ball too, but i think Gallo has better court vision. It's hard to say now, because Beasley is really a scorer... And i think his coach wants him to do that first and foremost. Still, i think Gallo can be a little more versatile, and will find more ways to help win his team. Overall, the best thing about him is his basketball IQ. You can't praise that enough about him. One more thing, let's not forget, that Gallo's still adjusting. You know it takes some time with euros, especially after a injury bugged first season. He's basically a rookie, and that's one of the reasons why his play was, is very promising. Because he's already good, and efficient. He should be a great, great player, and hopefully he'll be.
Kosar86
Assistant Coach
And1: 33

Post#126 » by Kosar86 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Knicks fans just simply make things up when analyzing their own players.

Ive seen numerous times the comment that Gallo creates his own shot while other teams (for example, Hickson and lebron) have guys who create for them.

But...83% of hickson's inside shots are assisted and 79% of Gallo's outside shots are assisted (and 74% of total shots)...uh, he's not creating his own shot.
Beasley has only 58% of his shots assisted...but he can only get his shots if wade creates them....

Ive also seen that Gallo is a great rebounder...despite avg only 5rpg in 30mpg...thats 41st in the league...for PFs! (and with no pace adjustment)
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#127 » by Joel Embust » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Beasily.
Cloud765
Starter
And1: 25

Post#128 » by Cloud765 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Beasley is putting up more consistent numbers on a team where he has to share the ball with last year's scoring leader. He's putting them up on a team which ranks 26th in the league in pace (as opposed to 6th). Sure this argument may be closer than the AR one, but it's still a ways away from being close.

Beasley ftw
The views and opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Miami Heat fans, the Miami Heat Organization, or it's employees.
Subway Token
RealGM
And1: 157

Post#129 » by Subway Token » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:58 pm

How do systems inflate shooting percentages? They inflate shots taken, not percentages. Its up to the player to make the shots, which Gallinari is doing.

These two are both very good players. Why does one have to be better? They play different styles. Beasley has a better interior, Gallo has a better outside game. So the hell what. 8-)
BAT 14.0 Judge. PM for paypal info.
canefandynasty
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#130 » by canefandynasty » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Beasley is a one-in-a-decade type player. Stop realgm, for comparing him to scrubs. Beasley is ANGRY!

"I think it's been long enough for me playing average. I'm just kind of mad at myself for not stepping out of the box. I'm kind of angry right now."
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#131 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Says the guy with the Dorell Wright avatar. Gotta love the irony. Did you even watch Gallo?
NYKnick87
Banned User

Post#132 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Adjusting for pace does not necessarily mean that the player will actually put up those stats at that pace...it's not that simple...
Rockice_8
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#133 » by Rockice_8 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:48 pm

I give the slight edge to Beasley, all off court stuff aside. His rebounding is much better then Gallo and besides 3pt. shooting his offensive game is much more complete. Defensively both are similar (average). Right now the edge goes to Beasley, 2 years from now Gallo has the tools to become better but it's yet to be seen if he can.
Cloud765
Starter
And1: 25

Post#134 » by Cloud765 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:06 pm

NYKnick87 wrote:Adjusting for pace does not necessarily mean that the player will actually put up those stats at that pace...it's not that simple...

If it doesn't work forward than it shouldn't work backwards. If he's putting up better numbers in a slower pace, i can't see how you can logically conclude that his numbers would be worse in a faster pace. Furthermore, i think it's safer to conclude that if Gallo were forced to share the court with one of the GOATS and play at a lower pace, his numbers might take a considerable hit.
The views and opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Miami Heat fans, the Miami Heat Organization, or it's employees.
canefandynasty
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#135 » by canefandynasty » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Says the guy with the Dorell Wright avatar. Gotta love the irony. Did you even watch Gallo?

Dorell Wright is no scrub by any means. He's been hampered by injuries and lacked confidence for the most part. Now given opportunities, he regained his confidence and is playing like an all star:

3 of his last 4 games:
Toronto:
28 minutes | 16 points | 8 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal | 1 block | 0 turnovers | 7-11 FG | 1-2 3-PT FG | 1-1 FG

Memphis:
27 minutes | 16 points | 4 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 block | 1 turnovers | 6-9 FG | 2-3 3-PT FG | 2-2 FT

Sacramento:
29 minutes | 19 points | 2 rebounds | 5 assists | 1 steal | 1 block | 9-13 FG | 1-1 3-PT FG

All this while guarding opposing team's best player. Wade has anointed him the best player on the squad and a potential sidekick. Riley claimed he was the "most skilled" on the team. Wright is NO scrub.
daniel3
Lead Assistant
And1: 481

Post#136 » by daniel3 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:58 pm

blueNorange wrote:
canefandynasty wrote:Pose this question: If either were to switch teams, how do you think it would turn out?

heat would be better ... another great 3pt shooter to go with cook and you can't explain it because when you look at the stats you don't see it but gallinari is a winner ... when he's in the game the team plays better because he rarely takes dumb shots and he will always pass the ball to someone else when he believes the shot isn't a smart shot.

he's not extremely athletic like beasley and he's not fast as beasley but his defensive awareness and positioning is superb ... he deflects passes, has quick hands that forces turnovers, and while his man to man defense isn't that good(because he lacks footspeed, although vs pf's could be different) his help defense and weakside shotblocking is excellent.

he can run the pick and roll very good as how he threads the needle with perfect passing.

beasley has no 3pt range ... at least not yet so he wouldn't be effective in d'antoni's system.

Sounds a lot like James Jones.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#137 » by Flash3 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:27 pm

canefandynasty wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:Says the guy with the Dorell Wright avatar. Gotta love the irony. Did you even watch Gallo?

Dorell Wright is no scrub by any means. He's been hampered by injuries and lacked confidence for the most part. Now given opportunities, he regained his confidence and is playing like an all star:

3 of his last 4 games:
Toronto:
28 minutes | 16 points | 8 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal | 1 block | 0 turnovers | 7-11 FG | 1-2 3-PT FG | 1-1 FG

Memphis:
27 minutes | 16 points | 4 rebounds | 1 assist | 1 block | 1 turnovers | 6-9 FG | 2-3 3-PT FG | 2-2 FT

Sacramento:
29 minutes | 19 points | 2 rebounds | 5 assists | 1 steal | 1 block | 9-13 FG | 1-1 3-PT FG

All this while guarding opposing team's best player. Wade has anointed him the best player on the squad and a potential sidekick. Riley claimed he was the "most skilled" on the team. Wright is NO scrub.

:rofl2:

He's a scrub. Sorry, what in the world do you smoke?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
NYKnick87
Banned User

Post#138 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:39 pm

Cloud765 wrote:
NYKnick87 wrote:Adjusting for pace does not necessarily mean that the player will actually put up those stats at that pace...it's not that simple...

If it doesn't work forward than it shouldn't work backwards. If he's putting up better numbers in a slower pace, i can't see how you can logically conclude that his numbers would be worse in a faster pace.

Because there are a lot more variables than just pace.

Furthermore, i think it's safer to conclude that if Gallo were forced to share the court with one of the GOATS and play at a lower pace, his numbers might take a considerable hit.

Likewise, I can say that if he were to play with Wade, his numbers would increase because he would still play off the ball and get even better looks.
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#139 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:52 pm

lol cmon his numbers wouldnt increase....how does going from a running team that takes the second most 3s a game to a team that eats up the shot clock and likes to get points in the paint benefit him?
Hes in an ideal situation for the type of player he is now ..
Kosar86
Assistant Coach
And1: 33

Post#140 » by Kosar86 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:05 pm

NYKnick87 wrote:
Cloud765 wrote:

If it doesn't work forward than it shouldn't work backwards. If he's putting up better numbers in a slower pace, i can't see how you can logically conclude that his numbers would be worse in a faster pace.

Because there are a lot more variables than just pace.

Furthermore, i think it's safer to conclude that if Gallo were forced to share the court with one of the GOATS and play at a lower pace, his numbers might take a considerable hit.

Likewise, I can say that if he were to play with Wade, his numbers would increase because he would still play off the ball and get even better looks.

And this just sums up knicks fans knowledge....if you play with an elite scorer...your numbers will actually go up.

Yeah, the 21 shots a game Wade takes will lead to a ton or more opportunities. :lol:

The rest of the Heat take 58 shots a game...while the knicks, except for their #1 shot guy harrington, take 70 shots a game.

Gallo would get a ton of more looks!

Return to Player Comparisons