Beasley or Gallinari?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

Who's the better player now and in the future?

Michael Beasley
43%
Danilo Gallinari
57%

Total votes: 140

Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,096

Re: Beasley or Gallinari? 

Post#281 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:23 am

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:
hes not soft-not in the slightest, but the star thread is incredibly silly.. and be real, the knick fanbase is not one voice, just click on the bender is bum thread and look how split it really is

I'm not that serious about the soft thing, its as unfair a criticism as the attitude thing is with Beasley, who has never let his off-court problems affect his on-court production in the slightest and has been a great team guy.

But I am serious about the fanbase thing, Heat fans can't win this thread because while Beasley doing well is one of a bunch of different things we're hoping for, the only thing most Knicks fans have to look forward to is Gallinari and 2010. Not to mention, you guys do outnumber us about 10:1 on RealGM.

I actually do like Gallo... but I'm being real here, right now the player he is most similar to is a prime Keith Van Horn, who was a very good player in his own right actually. But he's got things to work on if he's going to be something greater than that.

I can admit Beasley has a ton to work on as well, he's got a bad post-up game, doesn't know how to pump fake, doesn't use his athleticism to its fullest, and has a bad habit of being too finesse.
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 45

Post#282 » by Charsace » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:24 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
Assassin_1 wrote:This is basically Gallinari's rookie year, and they didn't start Beasely probably because he has mental health issues, sucks at defense, and can't play the post. Gallinari can do all those things and I really want your answer to this, the thing you've seem to have been dodging.....

WHAT THE F%&K MAKES GALLO SOFT?!?

Averaging less than 5 rebounds a game and shooting mostly 3's while being taller than Beasley is what makes him soft.

Why does being injured and crappy give Gallo a pass for his rookie year? And Beasley is STILL better than him this year.

All you need to know about these two players and the two fanbases... Beasley has 16 points, 5 boards in 26 minutes, 7/13 shooting, blowout win, and Heat fans were disappointed with him tonight for the most part. Gallinari gets 19 points on 5/13 shooting, 3 boards in 36 minutes in a loss, and Knicks fans anoint him a star.

He took 2 desperation 3's at the end and missed a long 3 at the end of the 3rd.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#283 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:36 am

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:Averaging less than 5 rebounds a game and shooting mostly 3's while being taller than Beasley is what makes him soft.

He's averaging 4.9 rebounds per game as a SF which is what he plays. He's shooting 3's because he's being underutilized. Just today when they decided to involve him in the offense more he had 12 FT's. Anyone calling him soft just clearly shows they've never seen him play.

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:All you need to know about these two players and the two fanbases... Beasley has 16 points, 5 boards in 26 minutes, 7/13 shooting, blowout win, and Heat fans were disappointed with him tonight for the most part. Gallinari gets 19 points on 5/13 shooting, 3 boards in 36 minutes in a loss, and Knicks fans anoint him a star.

What does that have to do with the topic at hand? All you're doing is inviting trolls to the Knicks board. But okay, if you want to post statlines, fine, post the whole deal:
Beasley 16 pts, 5 rbs, 1 ast, 2 tos.
Gallinari 19 pts, 3 rbs, 3 ast, 2 tos, 1 stl, 1 blk.

Seriously, these Gallinari being soft and one-dimensional labels need to stop. The kid's done more than enough to prove that he's not afraid at going to the basket, contesting shots or guarding anyone.
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#284 » by D Nice » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:45 am

Gallo. His defense has been a HUGE surprise to me thus far. Beasley looks like he's becoming a very good 2nd option, but he's Antawn Jamison 2.0. Shoddy defense at both forward spots but killer offensive game - although Jamison seems to be the better shooter and rebounder.

Gallo can actually defend the 3 spot well, and if he bulks up could be a disruptive P&R defender at the 4. Great stroke too, which means he could fit in virtually everywhere.

Only scenario I take Beasley if both of these guys are going to be the best on their respective teams, but if Beasley is your best player you are in serious trouble anyway.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#285 » by Flash3 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:27 am

Some people get very butt-heart real fast. :nonono:
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
dwade3
Lead Assistant
And1: 46

Post#286 » by dwade3 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:30 am

WOW, so ppl are saying Beasly has character issue bec. of weed? u serious and it was one or two incident...then Gallo is a injury prone since he was out for the whole year with a back..so why pick Gallo for since he is such an injury prone player!!!!
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#287 » by bringinhinkie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:16 am

dwade3 wrote:WOW, so ppl are saying Beasly has character issue bec. of weed? u serious and it was one or two incident...then Gallo is a injury prone since he was out for the whole year with a back..so why pick Gallo for since he is such an injury prone player!!!!

lol what on earth did i just read?
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,294

Post#288 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:27 am

Flash3 wrote:Some people get very butt-heart real fast. :nonono:

Hmm IDK I dont think I do, must suck tho if ur butt hurts :wink:.

Gallo all day baby. Seriously the guy is doing new things every time out on the court. He started the season just shooting threes (and hitting them at a crazy rate) and now hes cutting, driving, and posting a lot more. Teams are getting really up on him because they know hes a great shooter and hes making them pay off the dribble. He was known more as a slasher in Europe in the Ginobili mold and we're seeing it now. Only thing is his shot has been off as hell these past 6 games. Once his shot gets back on track, coupled with his newly shown ability to create and drive to the hoop, hes going to really give teams the business. He would have had 35 pts or so against Miami had he hit even some of the shots he usually makes. Same thing tonight. Hes hitting tough driving layups now and getting fouled alot more, except his shots (namely threes) just arent falling. When both aspects of his game finally click together its going to be something.

But for real this thread is just stupid if we're going to just update it on a game by game basis. Both players are good and are going to have good and bad games.
He's Heating Up
Senior
And1: 129

Post#289 » by He's Heating Up » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:11 am

I havent read any of this thread, but has that Candysomething or Canesomething guy posted in it yet? Biggest Beasley jock strap rider ever, his head would explode at the thought of this comparison.
I still remember him saying B-Easy could average like 30 and 12 in his prime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruH69VwPAc

harold lewis wrote:See Baynes/Splittler both on the court. First time two european-americans 7 footers on same backcourt since longley/wennington in 90s.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#290 » by HoopsGuru25 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 am

I'd take Beasley over Gallinari although his rehab stint does worry me a bit. He's younger and his points per minute would probably get a noticeable increase in D'antoni's system ala Harrington and Lee.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#291 » by Flash3 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:00 pm

dwade3 wrote:WOW, so ppl are saying Beasly has character issue bec. of weed? u serious and it was one or two incident...then Gallo is a injury prone since he was out for the whole year with a back..so why pick Gallo for since he is such an injury prone player!!!!

You do know we have people who post from all over the world who don't speak fluent English, right? Some people are inconsiderate......

:nonono:
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#292 » by Flash3 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:01 pm

He's Heating Up wrote:I havent read any of this thread, but has that Candysomething or Canesomething guy posted in it yet? Biggest Beasley jock strap rider ever, his head would explode at the thought of this comparison.
I still remember him saying B-Easy could average like 30 and 12 in his prime

:lol: -- He's Michael Beasley.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#293 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Flash3 wrote:

You do know we have people who post from all over the world who don't speak fluent English, right? Some people are inconsiderate......

:nonono:

:lol: Please, look at that post. I doubt people from all over the world can master American slang like that.
prs
Sixth Man
And1: 75

Post#294 » by prs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:28 pm

I don't see how Beasly is a better rebounder. Like I said before the Knicks have been playing almost always with 4 forwards on the floor. D.Lee is a better rebounder than anyone on the Heat and 3 other forwards are avging 4-6 rebounds. Gallo is playing SF and is avging 5.6 this month. He also is almost always parked on the perimeter on offense. Yet Beasly who plays PF, scores down low and doesn't play with 3 other forwards all the time is such a superior rebounder avging 1 more a game this month? ok...

Gallo despite having a lot of bad shooting games recently is still scoring more efficiently with 1.29 pts per fg this month vs Beasly's 1.23.

Gallo is also a better defender and passer. Looks pretty one sided to me.

also lol@ omg hes on the knicks, beaslys stats would be inflated on the knicks. you could easily say the same stupid thing about the heat. lol "gallos stats would be inflated with d.wade creating shots for him" etc.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,096

Post#295 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:34 pm

prs wrote:I don't see how Beasly is a better rebounder. Like I said before the Knicks have been playing almost always with 4 forwards on the floor. D.Lee is a better rebounder than anyone on the Heat and 3 other forwards are avging 4-6 rebounds. Gallo is playing SF and is avging 5.6 this month. He also is almost always parked on the perimeter on offense. Yet Beasly who plays PF, scores down low and doesn't play with 3 other forwards all the time is such a superior rebounder avging 1 more a game this month? ok...

Gallo despite having a lot of bad shooting games recently is still scoring more efficiently with 1.29 pts per fg this month vs Beasly's 1.23.

also lol@ omg hes on the knicks, beaslys stats would be inflated on the knicks. you could easily say the same stupid thing about the heat. lol "gallos stats would be inflated with d.wade creating shots for him" etc.

So when Beasley has superior numbers, they are explained away by mitigating circumstances. But when Gallo has superior numbers in just 1 month of play (and by a slim margin at that), they fully count, and you aren't allowed to use excuses against him.

Just admit it, you're a homer and completely biased.

I can admit Beasley's not that great a rebounder for the power forward position yet. But Gallinari? Come on, of all the things he's good at, you have to concede rebounding is clearly not one of them.
prs
Sixth Man
And1: 75

Post#296 » by prs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
prs wrote:I don't see how Beasly is a better rebounder. Like I said before the Knicks have been playing almost always with 4 forwards on the floor. D.Lee is a better rebounder than anyone on the Heat and 3 other forwards are avging 4-6 rebounds. Gallo is playing SF and is avging 5.6 this month. He also is almost always parked on the perimeter on offense. Yet Beasly who plays PF, scores down low and doesn't play with 3 other forwards all the time is such a superior rebounder avging 1 more a game this month? ok...

So when Beasley has superior numbers, they are explained away by mitigating circumstances. But when Gallo has superior numbers in just 1 month of play (and by a slim margin at that), they fully count, and you aren't allowed to use excuses against him.

Just admit it, you're a homer and completely biased.

I can admit Beasley's not that great a rebounder for the power forward position yet. But Gallinari? Come on, of all the things he's good at, you have to concede rebounding is clearly not one of them.

I never said Gallo is a great rebounder in my post. Simply argued that Beasly is no better at rebounding than Gallo and its true. Thats not an excuse, it's facts that give a logical explanation for why Gallo has slightly lower rebound numbers.

Also its not just one month of play. Gallo has been a more efficient scorer all season by a larger margin than the current margin this month.
VictorPage44
Senior
And1: 1

Post#297 » by VictorPage44 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:35 pm

^^^^^^
No, that's BS. The heat play with Wade, whos just as good a rebounder as any forward the knicks trot out there aside from david lee. Beasley plays with haslem/JO/dorrel/joel anthony/wade. Gallo plays with a bunch of mediocre rebounders in harrington/jeffries/hughes/chandler, and never plays with a center on the court. Then add that NY is 8th in pace, the heat are 27th, the heat are a better rebounding team overall than the knicks. also, According to 82games, the knicks' rebounding gets better when gallo goes off the floor, the heat's gets worse without beasley. I just dont see how you can claim that gallo's a better rebounder, none of it is based in fact. Check out beasley's offensive rebound highlight last night. He boxes out one guy then tips it to himself twice, then goes up and slams it. Gallo isnt on that level. statistically, dorrell wright is a better rebounder than gallo, and beasley is better than both.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,600

Post#298 » by j4remi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:12 pm

VictorPage44 wrote:Yesterday's rebounding disparity is a product of the knicks missing 23 three pointers. Beasley didnt have as many opportunities to grab rebounds because there were a lot of long rebounds. Wade, Arroyo, and Wright combined for 20 boards and the knicks had 14 offensive boards as a result (though danillo only had 1; rebounds rarely make it past the three point line.... just kidding). But Beasley's rebound rate is higher dispite playing with better rebounders. Also, i watched the game and didnt see gallo "rip" down one rebound, so you really shouldnt bring up those numbers because they're meaningless. Right now, although the comparison is about even, I'd take beasley. I like his ball handling, finishing ability around the basket, and athletisism.

Also, I dont want to rag on a guy who I havent seen much of, but anyone making a big deal about gallo taking the ball to the rim last night really needs to watch more of beasley. Gallo drove about five times yesterday, although he did look very quick when he did so. Beasley does that anytime he gets a face up isolation. But what impresses me most about beasley is not just that he can drive the ball from the outside, its that hes always under control when he does so.

I'm not casting my final vote by any means. Gallo's shown enough for me to believe that he could be a very good player eventually. I dont think he has the same feel on the drive/inside that beasley has, but hes also a much better jumpshooter--with the potential to be the best in the league. We'll know more in a year or so. I think both players will have improved a lot by then, and will have established their own games more by then.

I applaud this post. No hate, honest opinion and good logic behind it all. This all discussion degenerated pretty quickly to NY v MIA and a lot of mud slinging. I'll take Gallo bc I think long term, with weight added to his length, he'll become the bigger mismatch. Both players have crazy skills and I know that if we had a top three pick, I'd have wanted Beasley. I think they're a lot closer than either fan base wants to admit, Gallo has the shooting advantage and Beasley size and inside scoring (due to versatility). Those calling Gallo soft or a poor defender really have to watch more of his games though because the kid is anything but soft and has great timing which lent itself to something like an 8 game streak with multiple blocks. His role is only just now expanding, so we'll be able to judge him better post-allstar break I think as far as where he stands among sophomores (remember, he barely played last year so he was practically auditioning for his role to start and got few touches early).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#299 » by NYKnick87 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:51 pm

VictorPage44 wrote:^^^^^^
No, that's BS. The heat play with Wade, whos just as good a rebounder as any forward the knicks trot out there aside from david lee. Beasley plays with haslem/JO/dorrel/joel anthony/wade. Gallo plays with a bunch of mediocre rebounders in harrington/jeffries/hughes/chandler, and never plays with a center on the court. Then add that NY is 8th in pace, the heat are 27th, the heat are a better rebounding team overall than the knicks. also, According to 82games, the knicks' rebounding gets better when gallo goes off the floor, the heat's gets worse without beasley. I just dont see how you can claim that gallo's a better rebounder, none of it is based in fact. Check out beasley's offensive rebound highlight last night. He boxes out one guy then tips it to himself twice, then goes up and slams it. Gallo isnt on that level. statistically, dorrell wright is a better rebounder than gallo, and beasley is better than both.

Once again, the BS pace argument comes into play. Knicks avg 94.5 possessions per game, the Heat 91.1. The difference is negligible. I know two games doesn't prove anything, but when these two have faced off this season, Gallo outrebounded Beasley in both. I don't deny that Beasley is a better rebounder right now, but I challenge the notion that Beasley's would enjoy any kind of statistical advantage playing under D'Antoni.
ARISE_CHICKEN
Senior
And1: 238

Post#300 » by ARISE_CHICKEN » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:01 pm

Beasley's rebounding numbers are near the bottom for power forwards getting 30+ minutes a game which is perplexing because there are (very few) nights where he goes out and just rips down double digits easily. Part of it is poor technique, part of it is just not being strong enough yet, but I think the biggest reason is that he is just too passive. I've watched plenty of Beasley and he is all too happy to run back to the offensive end if there is another teammate there to grab the board for him. An attitude like that will never grab 10 boards a night.

However, there were similar concerns last season regarding going up strong around the basket and he's already matched his dunk total from last year so that is a good sign. Now it just needs to be carried over to the rebounding aspect of his game.

Return to Player Comparisons