Beasley or Gallinari?

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

Who's the better player now and in the future?

Michael Beasley
43%
Danilo Gallinari
57%

Total votes: 140

Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Re: Beasley or Gallinari? 

Post#61 » by Flash3 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Chosen01 wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:I I think D'Antoni's system tends to inflate stats a little, .

Eactly.

Put Beasley on the knicks and hes avg 22 10 on 45% shooting.

Beasley's playing limited because of the Heat's stressing of defense and commitment to that end, and until he doesn't realize that, and it will be better for him as an individual in the long run, he won't get much PT; and as sad/wrong as it maybe, because he's more than deserving of the PT right now even with his deficiencies.

Miami is in a bind of trying to win now and build for the future. So, win-now = Haslem or build for the future = Beasley.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
NYK 455
General Manager
And1: 161

Post#62 » by NYK 455 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Chosen01 wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:I I think D'Antoni's system tends to inflate stats a little, .

Eactly.

Put Beasley on the knicks and hes avg 22 10 on 45% shooting.

No he wouldn't. People blow the "system" way out of proportion.
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#63 » by NYKnick87 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Flash3 wrote:He plays more than 50% of the time at one spot, that being his natural spot, the 4-spot. And, when Haslem comes in, since we don't have a legitimate SF behind Quentin Richardson, Beasley is moved to the 3 spot to make up for the lack of SF depth.

So, you want to add some color as to how he's consistently going back and forth with some reasoning behind it?

Do you not understand that if he's splitting his minutes nearly 50/50 from one position to the other, that he's 'constantly switching positions'? Doesn't mean he's switching to every position from PG to C, just that he's juggling minutes between two positions on a 50/50 basis. This isn't a case of someone seeing spot minutes at one position while primarily playing another. If he's playing 56% of his minutes at PF and 44% as a SF, then yes, he's constantly switching from one position to the other. If it was an 80/20 split, then you'd have an argument.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#64 » by CB-Blazer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:19 pm

This was a fun thread to skim through. While I haven't gotten to watch every one of these two players games, I've watched enough to get a good grasp of their skills.

Both are very good prospects and neither side should be arguing that their players are clearly better. A good case can be made for each player.

There is a few things I wanted to clear up. This misconception that "Beasley never passes or creates for his teammates" is a bunch of ish. Dano is the better passer but it isn't by as big of a margin that you are making it out to be. 1.2 AST PER 36 and 6.1 AST% compared to 1.9 AST PER 36 compared to 8.2 AST%, a difference but not a huge one.

Dano has been freakishly efficient but a good portion of that comes from the fact that is he assisted on 3 out of every 4 baskets. That is ALOT. Generally, the more you are assisted, the higher your FG% goes up.

I personally prefer Beasley but I can see exactly why someone could choose Dano.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#65 » by Jimmy76 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:21 pm

CB-Blazer wrote:This was a fun thread to skim through. While I haven't gotten to watch every one of these two players games, I've watched enough to get a good grasp of their skills.

Both are very good prospects and neither side should be arguing that their players are clearly better. A good case can be made for each player.

There is a few things I wanted to clear up. This misconception that "Beasley never passes or creates for his teammates" is a bunch of ish. Dano is the better passer but it isn't by as big of a margin that you are making it out to be. 1.2 AST PER 36 and 6.1 AST% compared to 1.9 AST PER 36 compared to 8.2 AST%, a difference but not a huge one.

Dano has been freakishly efficient but a good portion of that comes from the fact that is he assisted on 3 out of every 4 baskets. That is ALOT. Generally, the more you are assisted, the higher your FG% goes up.

I personally prefer Beasley but I can see exactly why someone could choose Dano.

+1

post of the thread
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#66 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:23 pm

I am personally torn on this one, but I lean towards Beasley in the long term, although it's really, really close.
I liken Beas to a Antawn Jamison and liken Gallo to a Peja with solid defense.
Maybe I change my mind and go with Gallo.
I don't know, it's all so confusing. :lol:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#67 » by Jimmy76 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 pm

theres too many unknown factors about both of their developments to make a clear decision on this one its all preference right now
Kosar86
Assistant Coach
And1: 33

Post#68 » by Kosar86 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:51 pm

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:Gallinari. Better defender, better shooter, and much more of a complete game overall. There's really nothing Beasley does better than Gallinari.

Well, he does score more points and grab more rebounds than gallo (and does this depsite not playing for dantoni)...so he does 2 things better...
Kosar86
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by Kosar86 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:54 pm

Prospect Dong wrote:I think there needs to be a realgm equivalent of Megan's law, so that any poster who took the Sweetney side of "Sweetney or Bosh" or the Ariza side of "Iggy or Ariza" needs to declare it at the start of their PC posts - cause there's a few guys here who would pimp for anyone and anything that happened to be dressed in orange and blue.

I'll take Beasley, but not by a huge amount. I think D'Antoni's system tends to inflate stats a little, and it's early enough in their careers that I'll pick the one who came into the league as the more touted prospect until I get clear indications to the contrary.

lol,

or predicted the coming greatness of marcej lampe and channing frye...
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#70 » by eatyourchildren » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:49 am

Both are 2nd options. Give me Gallo (steals, blocks, good triple threat, doesn't seem like a nutcase)
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,294

Post#71 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:41 am

http://fromthebaseline.com/videos/1249- ... 2#JOSC_TOP

Watch this video to get a better feel for Gallinari. Its obviously highlights so anyone can look good in them, but if you dont come away impressed after this then you dont know anything about basketball.

And for those who think Gallo is a bad defender dont watch him play. Hes already an above average defender and his shot blocking is really coming along (.8 a game right now). Also hes a very good rebounder as well and will def get more once he starts playing PF and isnt on the perimeter. I can see 8 rpg in his future. The guy is just a baller and his IQ is off the charts. As a Knicks fan, I know all about low IQ players.

So yea I am a Knicks fan, so Im biased. But Beasley strikes me as nothing special. Another ME guy, while Gallo is one of the most unselfish players Ive ever seen and has Larry Bird qualities about him (Not saying hes going to be as good so relax, but theres definite similarities). Theres no way you cannot love the kid.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#72 » by method » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 am

Chosen01 wrote:

Do you even read the papers?We havent played ssol since Dantoni realized he didnt have the personal to play it.

So please stop with these inflated stats Gallo barely gets 10 shots a game if he is luckey.He is like the 4th option which is a shame considering he is one of our best players and our vets ingnore him.When all is said and done Gallo will be top 3 in his draft class.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#73 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:39 am

method wrote:When all is said and done Gallo will be top 3 in his draft class.

This is a seriously bold statement.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Kosar86
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by Kosar86 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:54 am

method wrote:
Chosen01 wrote:

Do you even read the papers?We havent played ssol since Dantoni realized he didnt have the personal to play it.

So please stop with these inflated stats Gallo barely gets 10 shots a game if he is luckey.He is like the 4th option which is a shame considering he is one of our best players and our vets ingnore him.When all is said and done Gallo will be top 3 in his draft class.

And the knicks Mount Rushmore of predicting greatness will be complete -

Sweetney, Lampe, Frye, Gallo
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,973

Post#75 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:49 am

I know with the Cleveland fans you have to choose your words wisely. With so many fans and opinions its a shame only the ignorant comments get remembered then the entire fan base has to deal with it.

Regarding Beasley vs Gallo it depends.

If your looking to start a franchise with one it depends on the team your building.

Beasley can score in bunches. Tends to fall in love with shot a bit, should take it to the hole more.
Gallo is more efficient. Just a flat out shooter, one of the best.

Beasley is already a bit troublesome, though problems are probably overblown. You have to like the way that Gallo carries himself.

Creating for others and feel for the game you have to give to Gallo. He definitely has a better feel for the game. Beasley is able to coast by a bit because of how talented he is.

Gallo is the better shotblocker thus far.
Gallo is the better outside shooter.
Beasley is better on the low post.
Beasley is far more athletic.
Gallo is the better facilitator.
Gallo is simply better on defense, only because of effort though.

Both are going to be great players.

Give me Gallo as the ultimate sidekick to a max player.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#76 » by method » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:22 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

How bold is it?Gallo was picked 6th.I bet you would consider BJenning top 3 in his draft class,and he was pcked 10th.So it isnt as bold as you predict.Just going with what me eyes are telling me.Time will tell.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#77 » by Prospect Dong » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:38 pm

method wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

How bold is it?Gallo was picked 6th.I bet you would consider BJenning top 3 in his draft class,and he was pcked 10th.So it isnt as bold as you predict.Just going with what me eyes are telling me.Time will tell.

What did your eyes tell you about Michael Sweetney?

Seriously, we've had the "should have gone high lotto" rhetoric about Vajunic, Lampe, Sweetney, Ariza, Frye, Nicholls (yes, really), Balkman, Lee. And huge hype for Collins, Frank Williams and Chandler. And not a single all-star appearance to show for it. And a bunch of them out of the league. And the same people, showing up, year after year, to repeat the same "I watch the games so I know" B.S.

At least start by admitting you've been found guilty of molesting logic in the past.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,816

Post#78 » by Johnny Firpo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:57 pm

Just because fans tend to overrate almost every single young player, doesn't mean it's the same with Gallo. Almost every single Knicks fan agrees that Gallo is something else. Not to mention other teams' fans, just like myself. That wasn't the case with the players you've mentioned. And yes, even if it sounds like a broken record, you should watch the games if you think Gallinari is similar to Sweetney, or Frye in that regard. Totally different player. He has an off the chart IQ, unselfish, has ridiculous timing, and enjoys one of purest jumpshot in the league. Those are really facts. Of course, that doesn't neccesserely means he will be an all-star, but sure makes him totally different from those players you mentioned, because he's already on another level as a basketball player. What is your opinon on Gallinari?
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#79 » by Prospect Dong » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:29 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Just because fans tend to overrate almost every single young player, doesn't mean it's the same with Gallo. Almost every single Knicks fan agrees that Gallo is something else. Not to mention other teams' fans, just like myself. That wasn't the case with the players you've mentioned. And yes, even if it sounds like a broken record, you should watch the games if you think Gallinari is similar to Sweetney, or Frye in that regard. Totally different player. He has an off the chart IQ, unselfish, has ridiculous timing, and enjoys one of purest jumpshot in the league. Those are really facts. Of course, that doesn't neccesserely means he will be an all-star, but sure makes him totally different from those players you mentioned, because he's already on another level as a basketball player. What is your opinon on Gallinari?

Being honest, I don't have an very strong opinions. He looks at least decent to me, but I'm aware that fast-paced bad teams can let undeserving guys put up nice stats. But I'm not nearly educated on the subject to decide if he's one of them.

So my gut feeling's Beasley, like i said above, but i certainly don't think everyone arguing the contrary is stupid, or a homer, or both. But I do worry that some, though not all, of them have proved in the past to be not worth listening to. Generally speaking history has taught me that the draft ranks talent much, much more effectively than Knicks fans.

And it's worth noting that Frye, at least had "one of the purest jumpshots in the league", and plenty of people saw him as "high IQ", "unselfish" etc, etc back in the day. Sweetney was more of a young Elton Brand/Tim Duncan type, and ariza was somewhere between Scottie Pippen and Tayshaun Prince.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Subway Token
RealGM
And1: 157

Post#80 » by Subway Token » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:59 pm

Before you people judge, Gallinari is coming off of major back injury. Played like 20 games last year. He missed one game this year as well. Who knows if he's even fully recovered or how he feels?

Right at this moment, everyone would say Beasley. I can see why. But Gallinari is VERY young, and has been plagued by injury in his short NBA carreer. Give him time guys, and you'll see why Gallinari IS the right choice. Watch some of his footage from his time in Italy. He doesn't just jack up 3s.
BAT 14.0 Judge. PM for paypal info.

Return to Player Comparisons