And1: 8,201

Pacers Begin Trade Talks On Buddy Hield 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:46 am

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,011

Re: Pacers Begin Trade Talks On Buddy Hield 

Post#2 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:59 am

HMFFL wrote:I would love for us to pursue Buddy.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/273003/Pacers-Begin-Trade-Talks-On-Buddy-Hield

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Why?
He's on a $19 mil expiring. Are you planning on extending him and for how much? He's also looking to start. Isn't he redundant to Bogi? Who are you trading him for? Hunter's salary matches but that just makes an already bad defense really worse and makes us a even smaller team.
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#3 » by D21 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:33 am

Dreaming of a full 3pts shooting lineup, I was ready to trade Capela+Murray for Turner+Hield, so I would welcome him.
But trading for him without Turner would not have the same impact.
Until Snyder proves he can make Trae+Murray work, I would still believe that this team would be better with Hield than Murray if both play the main SG spot, or that Trae-Bogi-Hield would be better than Trae-Murray-any SF we have.

Hield is actually better at SF than SG (the opposite of Bogi), so if Murray stays here but that a Hawks player has to go, it would not be about Murray or Bogi but more about Hunter or Bey

Jayu, I will try to find it again, but I think that I saw some defensive stats showing that Hield was not as bad as we think
And as he was the best player quick shooter last season (if you mix 3pts made and percentage):

And... if Ressler loses his mind and decides to use the trade exception to get him, let's go :D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,693

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:46 pm

Pursuing Buddy Hield as a floor spacers is undeniably a good idea. My question:

Why did Pacers wait until 2 weeks before Training Camp to ramp up trade talks?
Were they too busy over the summer?

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:52 pm

Pacers previously had interest in DeAndre Hunter. I'd dangle Hunter and that Utah Jazz 2nd Rounder (from the John Collins trade) for a one year shot at Hield.

Read on Twitter

Hawks will have to dump salary anyway to extend Bey, Okongwu and/or Jalen Johnson. At least this way we get an elite floor spacer for a year.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#7 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:16 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Pacers previously had interest in DeAndre Hunter. I'd dangle Hunter and that Utah Jazz 2nd Rounder (from the John Collins trade) for a one year shot at Hield.

Hawks will have to dump salary anyway to extend Bey, Okongwu and/or Jalen Johnson. At least this way we get an elite floor spacer for a year.

Another salary dump? Sure why not. :o
We just won't play any defense.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#8 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:19 pm

D21 wrote:Dreaming of a full 3pts shooting lineup, I was ready to trade Capela+Murray for Turner+Hield, so I would welcome him.
But trading for him without Turner would not have the same impact.
Until Snyder proves he can make Trae+Murray work, I would still believe that this team would be better with Hield than Murray if both play the main SG spot, or that Trae-Bogi-Hield would be better than Trae-Murray-any SF we have.

Hield is actually better at SF than SG (the opposite of Bogi), so if Murray stays here but that a Hawks player has to go, it would not be about Murray or Bogi but more about Hunter or Bey

Jayu, I will try to find it again, but I think that I saw some defensive stats showing that Hield was not as bad as we think
And as he was the best player quick shooter last season (if you mix 3pts made and percentage):

And... if Ressler loses his mind and decides to use the trade exception to get him, let's go :D

I get his individual numbers are not as bad as I might think, but we are adding that to an already bad defense.
Are you planning to extend him? And for how much?
If we aren't, he's already unhappy without an Indy extension, so do we want an unhappy guy?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#9 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:24 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Pacers previously had interest in DeAndre Hunter. I'd dangle Hunter and that Utah Jazz 2nd Rounder (from the John Collins trade) for a one year shot at Hield.

As a follow up...the Indy interest was Duarte and picks(s) [Indy had early 20s 1sts]....a straight dump is awful, again. You're just adding him to the list of players gone for nothing.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#10 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:47 pm

jayu70 wrote:

Putting even more pressure on our rim defense..suuure!!!
Read on Twitter
?s=20
D21
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by D21 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:54 am

Jayu, the numbers of IND are not really usable, once Haliburton got injured, they tanked.
I've not seen Hield play enough last season to be sure, but there are some positive points on Hield: he had a better Real Plus/Minus than any Hawks player last season, and he has better impact at SF than SG, so he can play both.
He's 220 lbs while Murray is 180, I bet he's as good as Murray defending the SG spot. It's even higher than Bey, and the same than Hunter.

As I see Hield as a better defender than Bey, I would prefer to have him extended here than Bey if it's for the same kind of money, even if Bey is younger.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:01 pm

^An end of game lineup next season with Trae-Buddy-Bey-Bogdan-Capela would be unstoppable offensively.

No one would be able to stop that the final 3 minutes of a tight playoff game.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:33 pm

D21
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by D21 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:34 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^An end of game lineup next season with Trae-Buddy-Bey-Bogdan-Capela would be unstoppable offensively.

No one would be able to stop that the final 3 minutes of a tight playoff game.

And imagine if Okongwu develops a consistent long range shot, you can put him at PF with Capela, or keep the four other players and put him at C, which would make a better transition defense because he would have to come back from the top of the paint or the three points line instead of under the rim for Capela.

That's why I always thought we need at least one that can play C with a long range shot, it doesn't improve the offense only.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:30 pm

jayu70 wrote:Another salary dump? Sure why not. :o

Sadly, once we agreed to contract extensions with both Bogdan and DeJounte, we pretty much locked ourselves into a salary dump for the 3rd straight summer...

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#16 » by jayu70 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:31 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Another salary dump? Sure why not. :o

Sadly, once we agreed to contract extensions with both Bogdan and DeJounte, we pretty much locked ourselves into a salary dump for the 3rd straight summer...

Read on Twitter

#7 and still a penny pincher. Hawks will forever be playing the what if game. Smh

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:04 pm

Solid move by Philadelphia.

But what is Indiana doing?!? :dontknow:

Read on Twitter
D21
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by D21 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:07 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Solid move by Philadelphia.

But what is Indiana doing?!? :dontknow:

Read on Twitter

Right, I don't understand what IND are doing if they want to win.

Now, I'm afraid that we will see several players, that ATL could use to get better, being traded today, but to other teams than ATL

The day this front office will realize that starting correctly a season would help Trae to not being snubbed for All-Star Games, would help for trades when a player has a bit of choice for his new team, and would help to get more chances at getting a good bought-out player, this period of the year will be more interesting/less frustrating.

Even if after saying that, ATL does a super trade today, it would always be better if they were able to start good and have a better record once in February

Return to Atlanta Hawks