Hawks Offseason Thread -- Summer 2024

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,007

Re: Hawks Offseason Thread -- Summer 2024 

Post#121 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue May 14, 2024 1:10 am

raleigh wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:Neither would be the backup. They would both start.

That will 100% not happen.

If that doesn't happen, then the Hawks might as well just blow it all up now. The logic behind not starting OO, has always been poor fit with CC. If you indeed draft Sarr(who is tailor made next to OO), then you're simply starting OO because the fit problem is gone.

raleigh wrote:JJ is a modern 4 and Sarr is a modern 5. There may be moments when you can have OO join them on the floor, but they will be few and far between.

You seem to be hyper focusing on the archaic concept of positions, and not seeing the value of versatility and skillset. JJ is a jumbo wing. Meaning he's capable of slotting in as a 3 or 4. Sarr is in a similar position except he's capable of slotting in as a 4 or 5. Truth be told, if you were going to categorize him into a position, he'd be a 4. Sarr's skillset and traits is ideally what you would consider a "modern 4". Which is why you start him and OO together. They cancel most of each other's weaknesses out.

raleigh wrote:
The money portion is irrelevant for many reasons

I know you're not new to the Hawks, so I'm gonna move on from this particular comment by assuming you're arguing just to argue. On top of that, all teams have to factor in the new apron rules.

I mean you completely ignored my comment about OO being on a slightly above MLE contract. Sarr on a rookie scale contract is roughly the same. We're talking close to $30M, give or take, for the pair. Ideally before 2025, Hunter is moved, and Clint is long gone from the books. Bogi's contract decreases to what should be another MLE salary. We've already got to make a decision on Trae/Murry from a fit perspective, so that'll clear up whichever one we trade from a salary perspective. If you're concerned about the aprons, projected increases in the cap are expected to push the first apron to $196M(estimated on $155M max cap) in 2025. If you've got key players locked up on MLE type salaries, a team can afford a super max player, and a large rookie scale extension before hitting the first apron, which isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,685

Post#122 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 14, 2024 5:09 am

We were so close to having a defensive anchor next to an offensive engine...

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#123 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 am

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#124 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 14, 2024 5:50 am

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,064

Post#125 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:42 am

Trae is clearly Hawk's best player and they won't get the trade for Trae that they would want....Murry on the other hand should be able to go play PG somewhere and bring back a wing type SG
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#126 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:02 am

I see nothing wrong with Sarr / OO starting with JJ at the 3. I would even keep CC for solid back up minutes. He is a very useful expiring that can be traded at the deadline to keep the team's books in order

One very interesting thing about the Hawks is the number of guys that can play 2 "positions"

C: Sarr / OO / CC
PF: Sarr / OO / JJ / Hunter / Gueye
SF: JJ / Hunter / Bog / Gueye / AJ / Krej
SG: Murray / Bog / AJ / Kej / Kobe
PG: Trae / Murray / Kobe

I would play a lot of mixing up rotations with a great ability to both big and small effectively
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,553

Post#127 » by dms269 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:47 am

Murray or Trae has to go. They cannot co-exist together. Both want the ball in their hands to be successful.

I also feel Trae has more value than Murray to us.

I say you move Murray for pieces including a starter at SG and maybe picks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,009

Post#128 » by jayu70 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:18 am

Jamaaliver wrote:We were so close to having a defensive anchor next to an offensive engine...

It can't just be adding the #1 pick and expect championship contention. There is still hard work to do with the rest of the roster. If we don't improve elsewhere we'll be in a similar position. We have the TPE and MLE - make use of them.
This is just giving Ressler another excuse to avoid paying to build out the team. At least give us a fighting chance to see a full complete competitive team.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#129 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 14, 2024 4:07 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:We were so close to having a defensive anchor next to an offensive engine...

It can't just be adding the #1 pick and expect championship contention. There is still hard work to do with the rest of the roster. If we don't improve elsewhere we'll be in a similar position. We have the TPE and MLE - make use of them.
This is just giving Ressler another excuse to avoid paying to build out the team. At least give us a fighting chance to see a full complete competitive team.

^I don't what any of this is.

I do know that Hawks have long needed an athletic, do it all defender to guard in space, defend the rim, shut down opponents fastbreaks -- one who could also rim run and potentially space the floor.

As long as we had an offensive engine to play next to that guy, we'd benefit long term.

As soon as we have a surefire path to getting one of these players...we potentially lose the other. Before they've even played a minute of basketball together.

Unfortunate.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#130 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 14, 2024 5:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#131 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 14, 2024 7:05 pm

Swap in Sarr for Clingan and this feels pretty solid.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#132 » by jayu70 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

I do know that Hawks have long needed an athletic, do it all defender to guard in space, defend the rim, shut down opponents fastbreaks -- one who could also rim run and potentially space the floor.

As long as we had an offensive engine to play next to that guy, we'd benefit long term.

As soon as we have a surefire path to getting one of these players...we potentially lose the other. Before they've even played a minute of basketball together.

Unfortunate.

It'll be a very Hawksian thing to do. Can't get out of their own way.
They try to sell the fan base on building around the first ever #1 pick in franchise history...meanwhile having no expectations while rebuilding. :nonono:
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,442

Post#133 » by CP War Hawks » Wed May 15, 2024 8:05 am

Not sure why some are so transfixed on OO and AS starting together. Sarr and JJ is such a tantalizing frontcourt you'd want to accentuate them. I'm thinking a solid C+S wing with some decent playmake and ball handling ability.

That person also helps Trae open it up in the halfcourt. Barnes comes to mind as a cheaper option, but you'd want a Trey Murphy type guy.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#134 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:16 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Unfortunate.

He isn't traded yet. Anything can happen and as Hawk's fans we know that the team has often disappointed us both with the draft and trades
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#135 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 16, 2024 6:29 pm

jayu70
RealGM

Post#136 » by jayu70 » Sat May 18, 2024 1:01 pm

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,625

Post#137 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Nice

Exactly, i posted several times on here to not resign John Collins and to trade him to MIN for the 1st pick and get Edwards
jayu70
RealGM

Post#138 » by jayu70 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:43 pm

jayu70 wrote:

Biggest takeaways:

- wouldn't be surprised if Hawks kept both Trae and DJ (60/40 split, at least to start the season) and made the pick at #1 

- at #1, Sarr or Zacc, leaning Sarr

- CC most likely to be traded. NOP, OKC as possible suitors

- trade Hunter to move back into the 1st to target defensive wings like Tristan DeSilva or Bobby Klintman 

Then talked about who the suitors maybe for Trae and DJ (nothing what we haven't seen/discussed before). DJ to Bucks might have been the only 'new' suitor that we haven't discussed.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#139 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 18, 2024 5:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,007

Post#140 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun May 19, 2024 9:07 am

Assuming Alex Sarr is the pick at #1, would bringing over his brother, Olivier, also be something we consider as depth? They look very similar. I think Alex is a lot further than Olivier was at 19. Olivier has filled out the way Alex will need to do, so again, we kinda get a glimpse of what added weight(muscle) would look like. Doesn't hurt to give the younger Alex a familiar face to have around him. That alone could help push and motivate him.

Return to Atlanta Hawks