2024 Prospect Highlight: Alex Sarr

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,694

Re: 2024 Prospect Highlight: Alex Sarr 

Post#81 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 20, 2024 2:59 pm

jayu70 wrote:But isn't it a function of the scheme his team ran and also the PG's ability to get him the ball.

It's all about projections though isn't it?

Here's an example of a missed PnR opportunity.
Sarr gets the pass, immediately rolls hard to the rim.
Gets met by Ron Holland in the air -- and is unable to finish the dunk.

The pass is a poor one -- and Sarr blows the easy bucket. Both things are true.

Ron Holland is a 6'8" SF.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#82 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 20, 2024 3:02 pm

jayu70 wrote:But isn't it a function of the scheme his team ran and also the PG's ability to get him the ball.

Also to your point.

Read on Twitter
Spoiler:
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,068

Post#83 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:36 pm

He's a very young 19, 7'1" and a very light 220. Of course he needs to get stronger

Thing is that he can and will get stronger and keep his quickness. It's either him or Risacher. I will be happy with either. I will say that Risacher is likely the safer pick though. They both have high ceiling. Risacher has a higher floor. I'd rather draft #1 based on ceiling. We'll see if the FO does a good job with the only thing that they have shown any competency in: drafting
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,629

Post#84 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon May 20, 2024 6:23 pm

In regards to talent and potential, Sarr and Risacher are about even for me. So it all comes down to work ethic.

Wiseman, Ayton, and Bamba are all criticized for being lazy.

I would draft Sarr but Hawks just need to do there research and find out which guy has that insane work ethic and chip on their should that keeps pushing them, and then I would just draft that guy.

I don't know anything about psychology, but just my amature opinion on the two, I think Sarr is hungrier and had a chip on his shoulder that will push him to be a gym rat and hard worker. Sarr has traveled from Europe to Atlanta, to Australia all to play basketball. It kind of shows he is willing to get out of his comfort zone just to play basketball. While Risacher has only lived in and played in France, which might give the impression that he doesn't look push himself as hard.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 21, 2024 2:40 am

Alexandre Sarr Scouting Report

Position: C/PF
Size: 7'1", 216
Draft ceiling: Number 1 Overall
Draft floor: Top five

After playing against high schoolers with Overtime Elite last year, Alex Sarr made a big jump to Australia to face NBL pros in 2023-24. With his signature athleticism and defense, he wound up playing a role in the Perth Wildcats' rotation and eventual placement in the playoff semifinals.

Sarr's surefire defensive impact and potential scoring versatility might give him the draft's highest two-way ceiling. Whichever team wins the lottery will be drawn to the idea of adding a difference-making rim protector who can also initiate fast breaks, knock down jumpers, attack closeouts and finish above the rim.

The first few teams could also pass if they're already set with established bigs. Some might not be willing to bet on Sarr's offensive development, considering he was still unreliable from three-point range, shaky from the free-throw line and limited creating in the half court.

However, even a worst-case outcome for Sarr is attractive, assuming his 7'1" size and mobility automatically translate to easy baskets and defense. He has enough shot-making skill to at least regularly threaten defenses when left open.

NBA Role and Pro Comparisons
Spoiler:
Projected role: Stretch big/rim protector
Pro comparisons: Jaren Jackson Jr.
Best team fits: Washington Wizards, Charlotte Hornets, Memphis Grizzlies, Portland Trail Blazers, Atlanta Hawks

The obvious draw to Sarr revolves around his rim protection, defensive switchability and potential to stretch from the floor from the 4 or 5 positions. He's going to serve as a roaming shot-blocker who can guard and shoot around the perimeter.

Offensively, he'll spend most of his time spotting up, pick-and-popping or waiting in the dunker's spot for easy baskets.

Ideally, his game evolves into something similar to Memphis Grizzlies big man Jaren Jackson Jr., who blocks shots, drills threes and faces up with ease. Even if Sarr isn't creating effective or making shots, he should find ways to impact games around the basket at both ends, just like Jackson.
Physical Tools and Athleticism
Spoiler:
Sarr's 7'1" size, mobility and bounce drive the majority of his production and impact. He possesses excellent height for a center, though his foot speed to slide defensively will be why NBA teams feel they can use him at power forward if they already have an established 5 or they're facing an overpowering center.

Certain plays remind you about his thin 216-pound frame, particularly when he's trying to finish against older bigs in the NBL. He's more effective using quickness to beat shot-blockers to the rim or bounce to sky over them.

Going through bigs can be a challenge for Sarr, although that would be the case for just about any 18-year-old who played against the pro competition that he faced in Australia.
Signature Strengths
Spoiler:
Defensive versatility/upside

Sarr's block and steal stats don't tell the full story on his defense. He contests shots inside and out with a combination of quick feet and long reach. His ability to slide around the perimeter is arguably more impressive than his rim protection.

Regardless, Sarr possesses outstanding tools, mobility and intensity for helping to shut down the paint or defend in space.

Shot-making potential

Sarr made a total of 16 threes, 14-of-25 short jumpers and 14-of-29 dribble jumpers this season, per Synergy Sports.

He isn't a high-volume shooter yet, but he's clearly a comfortable shot-maker and threat from wherever he can rise and fire, including off the dribble.

Potential scoring versatility

Creation isn't a strength of Sarr's, but he has shown the ability to use his handle and body control to initiate fast breaks and attack closeouts.

Sarr's offensive upside will skyrocket if he's able to start adding sharper moves and command changing direction with the ball and getting into his finishes or pull-ups.
Weaknesses
Spoiler:
Strength around basket

Given Sarr's 7'1" size and athleticism, his 58.1 shooting percentage on layups and 57.9 percent mark on cuts are relatively average. Physicality can make finishes challenging for him. He also isn't a major post threat due to his thin frame.

While Sarr doesn't operate with his back to the basket much, he relies on some tougher shot-making skill or touch whenever he does.

Creating

The majority of Sarr's scoring production this year came off the catch, either at the rim or behind the arc.

In the half court, despite the occasional flash, he still looks raw after putting the ball on the floor.

Shooting polish

Sarr finished at 27.6 percent from three and 70.7 percent from the free-throw line. Those numbers indicate potential, but not surefire, dependable shooting.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#86 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 24, 2024 1:17 pm

We still leaning towards Alex Sarr at #1? Sounds like Hawks are open to exploring other options...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,014

Post#87 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri May 24, 2024 1:49 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:We still leaning towards Alex Sarr at #1? Sounds like Hawks are open to exploring other options...

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Seems more like we're exploring for due diligence, considering we weren't expecting to be in this range of draft prospect available to us. Because of that, we haven't assured Sarr he will be the pick. It's almost like having to restart the draft process over for our FO. To send your GM, HC and Asst GM to see Risacher suggests that even more.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri May 24, 2024 2:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Here's an example of a missed PnR opportunity.
Sarr gets the pass, immediately rolls hard to the rim.
Gets met by Ron Holland in the air -- and is unable to finish the dunk.

The pass is a poor one -- and Sarr blows the easy bucket. Both things are true.

Ron Holland is a 6'8" SF.

Read on Twitter

Would it more fair to say the bad pass helped the defense recover and collapse on Sarr? Holland isn't a bad athlete either. Catching a poor pass to then have to finish over 2 collapsing defenders isn't always an easy task. I mean Smith actually deflecting the ball from behind probably had more bearing on not finishing than Holland does.

If that's Trae, then he's downhill, and throws a lob instead of a far bounce pass.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#89 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 24, 2024 2:30 pm

2024 NBA draft rankings

2. Alex Sarr | PF/C | Perth (Australia)

7-1 | Age: 19.0 | Previously ranked: 2

Sarr was ESPN's top-ranked prospect to appear at the combine, and is on the shortlist of options for the Hawks at No. 1 overall. He opted not to do a pro day in Los Angeles, typical for a top-pick candidate, but it remains to be seen at this time which teams he will work out for going into draft night. His upside is arguably the highest of any of the draft's prospects because of his considerable physical profile (measuring just under 7-foot barefoot at the combine with a 7-4.25 wingspan and 9-foot-2 standing reach). He has unusual mobility for his size.

In addition to considerable defensive potential, Sarr has the makings of a versatile offensive skill set, capable of running the floor and finishing plays, occasionally putting the ball on the floor, and with some shooting touch out to the arc. He still has development ahead of him in order to harness his abilities -- leaving some room for potential downside if he doesn't progress as expected for a high pick -- but the blueprint for an impactful starting-caliber player is there. -- Woo
ESPN Insider
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#90 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 24, 2024 4:34 pm

Can't wait to see these two face off next season.

Whatever team Sarr plays for:

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#91 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 24, 2024 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#92 » by King Ken » Sat May 25, 2024 3:53 pm

My take on Sarr is simple:
Offense:
Not unnatural as a perimeter player, has upside. Reminds me of Marquese Chriss as a prospect offensively although Chriss was more athletic and shot better as a prospect.
Extremely Raw, I don't see anything that's even average at the NBA level.
Shows flashes a lot like JJ as a prospect. I have him in the same tier with Wiseman who I also thought offensively was raw but I think like JJ, Sarr is extremely raw.

Defense:
He's a top-end perimeter defender in this draft right now. To me, he's one of the best perimeter guys, just a tad below Risacher. He's right there with Holland and he's inferior to Ryan Dunn which is high praise.
His switching is elite. I think he's already there as a switch. His defense is there right now.
Post up D is bad. Iso D on bigs is bad. Drop coverage D is horrible.
He's not a big man is mainly what I see.

7'1 224 with a 7'4.5 wingspan is impressive for a big wing, hell, it's good for a 4.

As far as Sarr for the Hawks. I think he's 100% going to be a bust.

He's position blocked by JJ
JJ is not a 3 so unless you want to Trae/Murray him and try to fit a square peg in a round hole, I don't see anyway this works long term and short term, the Hawks are trying to win. You can't develop and try to win. That's like being a ladies man and being an faithful husband at the same time. You gotta choose your path man.
He does nothing to help Trae. I've heard how Trae could help him but everyone is mute when I asked how can he help Trae. Trae needs a drop coverage 5. PITP is a critical issue for us and why we need a 5 with size. Sarr is a big wing without the mindset, will or want to be a big man. He sees himself as a big wing which is how I see him as well.

I like him for Portland and Washington. Portland more because I like Grant as a leader and mentor for him than Kuz. Kuz as a mentor is like Gilbert Arenas. It's just gonna be foolishness.

While I am not high on anyone at 1 for the Hawks and a STRONG advocate of trading down. Sarr is probably the worst I've seen in terms of fits of all the guys mentioned. Risacher is a great fit next to Trae even if he isn't that good of a prospect. Clingan is an obvious fit. Edey is the perfect fit as him and Trae's game matches like MJ and Pip and no, I am not calling either of them MJ or Pip, just taking about the fit with each others game.

If the Hawks draft Sarr, he will be a bust. I am 100% certain about it too. If he's not, then that means Trae and JJ was gone when he finally hit then that takes away the damn purpose in my eyes when you have a player like Trae.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,068

Post#93 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat May 25, 2024 6:58 pm

King Ken wrote:My take on Sarr is simple:
Offense:
Not unnatural as a perimeter player, has upside. Reminds me of Marquese Chriss as a prospect offensively although Chriss was more athletic and shot better as a prospect.
Shows flashes a lot like JJ as a prospect. I have him in the same tier with Wiseman who I also thought offensively was raw but I think like JJ, Sarr is extremely raw.

Defense:
He's a top-end perimeter defender in this draft right now. To me, he's one of the best perimeter guys, just a tad below Risacher. He's right there with Holland and he's inferior to Ryan Dunn which is high praise.
His switching is elite. I think he's already there as a switch. His defense is there right now.

7'1 224 with a 7'4.5 wingspan is impressive for a big wing, hell, it's good for a 4.

JJ is not a 3 so unless you want to Trae/Murray him and try to fit a square peg in a round hole, I don't see anyway this works long term and short term, the Hawks are trying to win. You can't develop and try to win. That's like being a ladies man and being an faithful husband at the same time. You gotta choose your path man.
He does nothing to help Trae. I've heard how Trae could help him but everyone is mute when I asked how can he help Trae. Trae needs a drop coverage 5. PITP is a critical issue for us and why we need a 5 with size. Sarr is a big wing without the mindset, will or want to be a big man. He sees himself as a big wing which is how I see him as well.

I like him for Portland and Washington. Portland more because I like Grant as a leader and mentor for him than Kuz. Kuz as a mentor is like Gilbert Arenas. It's just gonna be foolishness.

While I am not high on anyone at 1 for the Hawks and a STRONG advocate of trading down. Sarr is probably the worst I've seen in terms of fits of all the guys mentioned. Risacher is a great fit next to Trae even if he isn't that good of a prospect. Clingan is an obvious fit. Edey is the perfect fit as him and Trae's game matches like MJ and Pip and no, I am not calling either of them MJ or Pip, just taking about the fit with each others game.

If the Hawks draft Sarr, he will be a bust. I am 100% certain about it too. If he's not, then that means Trae and JJ was gone when he finally hit then that takes away the damn purpose in my eyes when you have a player like Trae.

There reason that Sarr is #1 on most lists but I take note that you don't want Hawks to draft him
King Ken
General Manager

Post#94 » by King Ken » Sat May 25, 2024 8:41 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Offense:

Defense:

There reason that Sarr is #1 on most lists but I take note that you don't want Hawks to draft him

The reason is obvious. He's the only one in this draft with 1st overall traits even if he's miles away.

The issue for us is fit and not fit for Quin, fit for Trae. Of course, you can ignore that and square peg the hell out of him into a round role as we did with Murray but that would be disastrous in my eyes. I actually he will fit what Quin does at some point if his development but I never see that fit with Trae.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun May 26, 2024 2:41 pm

Offense:

Comparing Sarr to Chriss is just quickly reading a scouting report without the context of actually watching the games. Chriss was always an athlete trying to play basketball.

You could tell he had just recently picked up basketball. Which is why he was extremely raw. He had no handle. Very low IQ. TO prone. Poor shooter outside of taking spot ups.

You reeled me back in with how JJ flashed, but then brought up Wiseman, whose basically another Chriss. Wiseman/Chriss are extremely raw prospects. JJ/Sarr, are guys with a good foundation, but need fine tuning.

King Ken wrote:Defense:

I think you sold yourself on what makes Sarr special without realizing it. Is he going to anchor against Jokic? Of course not, but who cares?! If he can move his feet well enough to matchup with switches, then he's already ahead of the curve than most bigs his size.

This is what makes him and OO and perfect 4/5 pairing. You want OO playing the drop coverage, and Sarr rotating from the help side. That's not to say Sarr can't play drop coverage though. He needs more awareness on playing angles out of drop coverage, but his length and quickness will make it hard on any guard that can't knock down shots also.

King Ken wrote:He's not a big man is mainly what I see. 7'1 224 with a 7'4.5 wingspan is impressive for a big wing, hell, it's good for a 4.

You're absolutely correct. Sarr's measurables make good as a 4. So why assume he should be playing as a 5? He'd likely bust harder playing more at the 5.

Was Trae/Murray "fitting a square peg in a round hole"? Yes. The pairing offered no versatility, and that is the key thing missing in your entire post. You're overlooking the versatility Sarr actually brings in order to tear him down as a traditional 5. JJ isn't blocking anything. He'd be a major catalyst in allowing the Hawks to finally have some versatility around Trae by allowing Sarr to be on the floor with OO. JJ is like the only player that gives us any kind of versatility currently on the roster. Versatility is king in the modern NBA.

King Ken wrote:He does nothing to help Trae. I've heard how Trae could help him but everyone is mute when I asked how can he help Trae. Trae needs a drop coverage 5. PITP is a critical issue for us and why we need a 5 with size. Sarr is a big wing without the mindset, will or want to be a big man. He sees himself as a big wing which is how I see him as well.

Sarr helps Trae by being a versatile defender and having some projection as a shooter. As I mentioned earlier, OO playing drop with Sarr helping on the weakside answers the question about improving size in the paint.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#96 » by King Ken » Sun May 26, 2024 3:59 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Offense:

Comparing Sarr to Chriss is just quickly reading a scouting report without the context of actually watching the games. Chriss was always an athlete trying to play basketball.

You could tell he had just recently picked up basketball. Which is why he was extremely raw. He had no handle. Very low IQ. TO prone. Poor shooter outside of taking spot ups.

You reeled me back in with how JJ flashed, but then brought up Wiseman, whose basically another Chriss. Wiseman/Chriss are extremely raw prospects. JJ/Sarr, are guys with a good foundation, but need fine tuning.

King Ken wrote:Defense:

I think you sold yourself on what makes Sarr special without realizing it. Is he going to anchor against Jokic? Of course not, but who cares?! If he can move his feet well enough to matchup with switches, then he's already ahead of the curve than most bigs his size.

This is what makes him and OO and perfect 4/5 pairing. You want OO playing the drop coverage, and Sarr rotating from the help side. That's not to say Sarr can't play drop coverage though. He needs more awareness on playing angles out of drop coverage, but his length and quickness will make it hard on any guard that can't knock down shots also.

King Ken wrote:He's not a big man is mainly what I see. 7'1 224 with a 7'4.5 wingspan is impressive for a big wing, hell, it's good for a 4.

You're absolutely correct. Sarr's measurables make good as a 4. So why assume he should be playing as a 5? He'd likely bust harder playing more at the 5.

Was Trae/Murray "fitting a square peg in a round hole"? Yes. The pairing offered no versatility, and that is the key thing missing in your entire post. You're overlooking the versatility Sarr actually brings in order to tear him down as a traditional 5. JJ isn't blocking anything. He'd be a major catalyst in allowing the Hawks to finally have some versatility around Trae by allowing Sarr to be on the floor with OO. JJ is like the only player that gives us any kind of versatility currently on the roster. Versatility is king in the modern NBA.

King Ken wrote:He does nothing to help Trae. I've heard how Trae could help him but everyone is mute when I asked how can he help Trae. Trae needs a drop coverage 5. PITP is a critical issue for us and why we need a 5 with size. Sarr is a big wing without the mindset, will or want to be a big man. He sees himself as a big wing which is how I see him as well.

Sarr helps Trae by being a versatile defender and having some projection as a shooter. As I mentioned earlier, OO playing drop with Sarr helping on the weakside answers the question about improving size in the paint.

This might be the worst post I've ever read and I only read one sentence so far.

You do realize I actually watch the games, fully. Possession by possession. I don't watch the highlights like ya'll do.

I am not wasting time on you. Whenever someone says some off the wall bull. I just block you.

If I compared him to Chriss. It's because he plays like Chriss on a possession to possession level. Not because of highlights. If I even use highlights, it's to give my listener a visual. I am blocking you. If you want me to really break what you are saying down. Remove the dumb ****.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#97 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 26, 2024 4:36 pm

Take it easy, guys.

We're all on the same team here. :party:
King Ken
General Manager

Post#98 » by King Ken » Sun May 26, 2024 5:16 pm

JL is right. My bad but don't be coming at me claiming I don't watch the film. All I do is watch film. If I am wrong, I am willing to admit it but to start a post like, you don't watch the film and understand the film just gives me no motivation to read your post and it looks long and I know that took time so please don't disrespect me because you probably spend a 1 hour on that post. I know the work that goes into a post so let's keep it friendly even if we disagree
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun May 26, 2024 6:05 pm

King Ken wrote:This might be the worst post I've ever read and I only read one sentence so far.

You do realize I actually watch the games, fully. Possession by possession. I don't watch the highlights like ya'll do.

I am not wasting time on you. Whenever someone says some off the wall bull. I just block you.

If I compared him to Chriss. It's because he plays like Chriss on a possession to possession level. Not because of highlights. If I even use highlights, it's to give my listener a visual. I am blocking you. If you want me to really break what you are saying down. Remove the dumb ****.

So somebody that challenges your statement or analysis only watches highlights, but Zach Edey is a perfect 1:1 compliment to Trae? Gotcha.

Comparing Sarr to Chriss is exactly why I know you don't watch full games, but you can block me. I really don't care.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#100 » by King Ken » Sun May 26, 2024 6:12 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
King Ken wrote:This might be the worst post I've ever read and I only read one sentence so far.

So somebody that challenges your statement or analysis only watches highlights, but Zach Edey is a perfect 1:1 compliment to Trae? Gotcha.

Comparing Sarr to Chriss is exactly why I know you don't watch full games, but you can block me. I really don't care.

1. I never disrespected you before that post. Let's be clear.

2. Prove me wrong. I've continue to push Edey as a perfect fit aka Cinderella fit for Trae. I've have so many writing already explaining why. If you disagree, prove me wrong, you won't but go ahead, try.

3. That's still a horrendous opinion. If I said he's offensively like a worse Marquese Chriss at the same stage as prospects, just prove me wrong. Don't say, i know you don't watch the games when that's 100% false. It's clear to me, you can't and that's why your retort is rubbish.

I've never understood what's so hard about debating your take without being disrespectful

Return to Atlanta Hawks