ImageImage

Hawks Front Office seems committed to getting Siakam

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,820

Re: Hawks Front Office seems committed to getting Siakam 

Post#101 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:21 pm

Hawks and Raptors are like dead even, keep leaping each other in the standings.

One needs to rebuild while the other needs to go for it.

Siakam for their young studs, probably a good deal for both teams.
Go Raps!!
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,004

Post#102 » by jayu70 » Fri Dec 1, 2023 10:31 pm

I agree with all of this!

NBA Trade Rumors That Make No Sense
The Atlanta Hawks "continue to monitor" Pascal Siakam as a "potential trade target," according to HoopsHype's Michael Scotto. Their interest in the 29-year-old is officially longstanding. The Hawks were linked to Siakam over the summer.

Atlanta's interest in this move is fine—so long as it never progresses into actuality.

In the interest of full disclosure, I endorsed this pursuit over the offseason. I'm out on it now. And the Hawks should be, too.

Siakam's expiring contract absolutely matters for an organization that 1) doesn't routinely bag high-profile free agents and 2) continues to pinch pennies beneath the tax. The latter is likely the bigger hurdle.

A max contract for Siakam will run about $42.6 million in Year 1. The Hawks already project to begin next season over the tax if they re-sign Saddiq Bey (restricted). They will probably end up moving at least one of Bogdan Bogdanović, Clint Capela or De'Andre Hunter before 2024-25 to cut bottom-line costs as it stands.

Any combination of them can be used to help acquire Siakam. But tacking his new deal onto the pay grades of Trae Young and Dejounte Murray creates a financial crunch this franchise has historically opted against bankrolling.

And then there's the matter of fit. The Hawks have their fill of primary ball-handlers in Murray and Young, and Siakam's complementary game isn't guaranteed. He's up to 43.8 percent shooting on drives but is hitting just 26.2 percent of his spot-up threes.

Spacing will be an issue even if Jalen Johnson (when healthy) keeps hitting triples and doesn't get jettisoned as part of the trade. Atlanta can bill Siakam as its de facto center, but that won't move the defensive needle. Including Murray (trade-eligible Jan. could take care of some overlap, but to what end? Is a Trae-Siakam duo that much of an upgrade, when it potentially comes at the cost of Johnson, another rotation player or two and picks? Nah.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10099279-nba-trade-rumors-that-make-no-sense.amp.html
jayu70
RealGM

Post#103 » by jayu70 » Fri Dec 1, 2023 10:36 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:Hawks and Raptors are like dead even, keep leaping each other in the standings.

One needs to rebuild while the other needs to go for it.

Siakam for their young studs, probably a good deal for both teams.

Good deal for Toronto, not so sure for the Hawks.
Siakam is a Free agent, Hawks should not overpay for 5 month of Siakam.
No guarantee that Siakam resigns.
Jalen Johnson's emergency as the future at PF means Hawks are not in great need for a PF
Hawks will now lack floor spacing - which is something the Raptors currently struggle with, don't want that for the Hawks.
Hawks biggest need at the moment (besides needed JJ to come back from injury) is POA defense, rim protection and rebounding.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#104 » by jayu70 » Wed Dec 6, 2023 3:53 am

Yikes!! 19.8% from 3 so far this season.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,678

Post#105 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:02 pm

Yikes!!!

Read on Twitter
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,551

Post#106 » by dms269 » Fri Dec 8, 2023 12:47 pm

Yet Raptors fans still seem to think he is worth multiple first round picks and young players because "he just isn't get the usage he used to".
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayu70
RealGM

Post#107 » by jayu70 » Fri Dec 8, 2023 3:37 pm

dms269 wrote:Yet Raptors fans still seem to think he is worth multiple first round picks and young players because "he just isn't get the usage he used to".

Plus now Jalen Johnson too. :nonono:
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,451

Post#108 » by Morse Code » Sat Dec 9, 2023 6:02 pm

dms269 wrote:Yet Raptors fans still seem to think he is worth multiple first round picks and young players because "he just isn't get the usage he used to".

Have you seen our point guard situation and our spacing? :lol: There’s a lot of reasons he’s struggling, and none of them are because he sucks.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#109 » by dms269 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 6:19 pm

Morse Code wrote:

Have you seen our point guard situation and our spacing? There’s a lot of reasons he’s struggling, and none of them are because he sucks.
No one said he sucks, but he is not going to return a king's ransom at this point. His expiring contract, possible max, and lowest 3p% since his rookie season isn't a convincing deal for teams to give up good young talent and/or firsts. With the emergence of Jalen, I think Atlanta is a little reluctant to give up a ton.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM

Post#110 » by jayu70 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 11:33 pm

Morse Code wrote:

Have you seen our point guard situation and our spacing? :lol: There’s a lot of reasons he’s struggling, and none of them are because he sucks.

I think it's less about the PG and more about the coach/GM transitioning the team to Scottie. Add in his expiring contract, salary ask and reluctance to 'not resign with the team that trades for him' (wether true or not he put it out there)....it depresses his value.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#111 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:53 pm

Not sure you if guys had already discussed this most recent Shams report:

Code: Select all

"I can tell you guys, Atlanta felt like they were close and that they had a good, a pretty good package for Pascal Siakam last summer in July and there was some pretty intense conversations back forth with a deal centered around De'Andre Hunter, AJ Griffin and draft compensation and the deal did not get done so we will see as we get closer over the next several months."
SI.co

Read on Twitter
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,005

Post#112 » by Geaux_Hawks » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:59 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Not sure you if guys had already discussed this most recent Shams report:

"I can tell you guys, Atlanta felt like they were close and that they had a good, a pretty good package for Pascal Siakam last summer in July and there was some pretty intense conversations back forth with a deal centered around De'Andre Hunter, AJ Griffin and draft compensation and the deal did not get done so we will see as we get closer over the next several months."
SI.co

Read on Twitter

If it's Hunter, Griffin, and a protected first, then maybe adding him wouldn't be a bad deal, but then there's the question of extension. a max contract just ain't it unless he comes in and is providing elite spacing along with the playmaking and defense.

I'd be much more willing to see what OG would cost and just upgrade Hunter.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#113 » by jayu70 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:52 am

dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#114 » by dms269 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:01 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Not sure you if guys had already discussed this most recent Shams report:

SI.co

Read on Twitter
This is the ideal cost. Some Raptors fans seem to think they can get Murray for him or even a combo of JJ and Okongwu.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,062

Post#115 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:47 pm

Hunter, AJ and some seconds seems about right but I don't want to re-sign Siakam at his age and with his limitations. Look elsewhere
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:43 pm

I'd hate to see us move Bogdan, but Toronto might not be a bad place for him to play out the last few productive years of his NBA career.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#117 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I'd hate to see us move Bogdan, but Toronto might not be a bad place for him to play out the last few productive years of his NBA career.

Read on Twitter

I'd be very unhappy if we did that.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#118 » by Spida888 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:49 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I'd hate to see us move Bogdan, but Toronto might not be a bad place for him to play out the last few productive years of his NBA career.

Read on Twitter

I don't think you guys would give up Bogdan. He's providing good production on a good value contract. You need value contracts like this if you trade for Pascal and your top 3 will take up so much of your cap.

Hunter otoh is on a slightly negative contract, so getting rid of his contract is beneficial for the Hawks. Not enticing for the Raptors though, so some mix of prospects/picks would need to sweeten the deal.

I understand why the Hawks would be reluctant to trade for Pascal though after his camp comments on not re-signing with the team that trades for him.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#119 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:18 pm

Spida888 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I don't think you guys would give up Bogdan. He's providing good production on a good value contract. You need value contracts like this if you trade for Pascal and your top 3 will take up so much of your cap.

Hunter otoh is on a slightly negative contract, so getting rid of his contract is beneficial for the Hawks. Not enticing for the Raptors though, so some mix of prospects/picks would need to sweeten the deal.

I understand why the Hawks would be reluctant to trade for Pascal though after his camp comments on not re-signing with the team that trades for him.

I agree. Cost to acquire, future contract and his reluctance to being in Atlanta where he can decide to walk are all factors to be considered. The elephant in the room for me though, would be the owner's willingness to further improve the team around Trae, DJ and Pascal or make moves around the edges to just stay competitive in the short-term vs real contention. Or will he dump salry to stay under the Luxury tax.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#120 » by Spida888 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:29 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Spida888 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:I'd be very unhappy if we did that.

I agree. Cost to acquire, future contract and his reluctance to being in Atlanta where he can decide to walk are all factures to be considered. The elephant in the room for me though, would be the owner's willingness to further improve the team around Trae, DJ and Pascal or make moves around the edges to just stay competitive in the short term vs real contention. Or will he dump salry to stay under the Luxury tax.

That's fair. Based on how your team dumped Collins' contract, your team may be reluctant to go into the tax unless you guys make it far into the playoffs this year.

Return to Atlanta Hawks