Post#244 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:51 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,004

Re: DeJounte Murray on the trade block? 

Post#245 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:26 pm

As Marc Stein reported recently, and which was confirmed by a league source to The Athletic, second-year Hawks coach Quin Snyder is known to be advocating for the Hawks to hold onto Murray. That sort of prominent voice is certainly enough to split the room, so to speak, when a particular trade is being analyzed.

What’s more, the Hawks’ front office, which is now led by general manager Landry Fields, added another key figure recently who is surely weighing in on the conversation. Chris Grant, the former Cleveland Cavaliers general manager who worked with Fields in recent years while with the Spurs, was added by Atlanta as an executive adviser in mid-January.

The challenge here for the Hawks, it seems, is that doing this deal without Reaves would do very little to help their chances of winning now. There is value in recouping some of the assets lost in the trade to land Murray, but one first-rounder (and perhaps a first-round swap and/or second-rounders) pales in comparison to what they gave up to get him in 2022.

The question, then, is whether they decide to forge ahead with this flawed roster while waiting until this summer to revisit the Murray market. Young is signed through the 2026-27 campaign, which lessens the pressure a bit when it comes to their star player politics. They’re only 5 1/2 games out of the sixth spot in the East (and the chance to avoid the Play-In Tournament), with recent wins over the Raptors, Lakers, Suns and Warriors (not to mention a close loss Monday night to the red-hot Clippers) showing signs of promise. And considering the way Murray has played of late, waiting this out might be the right move for the Hawks.

The eerie quietness of this 2024 trade deadline season, in other words, might continue on this front too.

https://theathletic.com/5255325/2024/02/06/lebron-james-lakers-dejounte-murray-trade-rumors/
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,678

Post#246 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 7, 2024 1:45 pm

jayu70 wrote:
...second-year Hawks coach Quin Snyder is known to be advocating for the Hawks to hold onto Murray. That sort of prominent voice is certainly enough to split the room, so to speak, when a particular trade is being analyzed.

What’s more, the Hawks’ front office, which is now led by general manager Landry Fields, added another key figure recently who is surely weighing in on the conversation. Chris Grant, the former Cleveland Cavaliers general manager.

The question, then, is whether they decide to forge ahead with this flawed roster while waiting until this summer to revisit the Murray market.

The Athletic

Great find.

Interesting news.

Quin is largely the only reason I have any faith left in this iteration of the Hawks.

It's funny, as bad as things seem now, they *pale in comparison to the dysfunction that occurred under Billy Knight and the Atlanta Spirit.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#247 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:44 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#248 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:45 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
...second-year Hawks coach Quin Snyder is known to be advocating for the Hawks to hold onto Murray. That sort of prominent voice is certainly enough to split the room, so to speak, when a particular trade is being analyzed.

What’s more, the Hawks’ front office, which is now led by general manager Landry Fields, added another key figure recently who is surely weighing in on the conversation. Chris Grant, the former Cleveland Cavaliers general manager.

The question, then, is whether they decide to forge ahead with this flawed roster while waiting until this summer to revisit the Murray market.

The Athletic

Great find.

Interesting news.

Quin is largely the only reason I have any faith left in this iteration of the Hawks.

It's funny, as bad as things seem now, they pal in comparison to the dysfunction that occurred under Billy Knight and the Atlanta Spirit.

But Ressler appears to be too much of a meddler and very reactionary. Let the front office do their job.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,843

Post#249 » by Skybox » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:24 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:If the Hawks just wait until the deadline maybe some team will get desperate and overpay the Hawks.

There is not anything wrong with not trading Dejounte if no team is willing to overpay for him.

I'd like it to be ORL that overpays...it sickens me that LAL could walk away with him for such weak offers...

ATL sends: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin

ORL sends: Wendell Carter Jr, Anthony Black, DEN 25 frp
or

ORL sends: Markelle Fultz & Chuma Okeke (both expiring), ORL 24 frp (top 5), DEN 25 frp, ORL 27 frp (top 5)

or

ORL sends: Wendell Carter Jr, Gary Harris (expiring but you might like him), ORL 24 frp (top 5), DEN 25 frp
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,387

Post#250 » by King Ken » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:52 pm

Skybox wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:If the Hawks just wait until the deadline maybe some team will get desperate and overpay the Hawks.

There is not anything wrong with not trading Dejounte if no team is willing to overpay for him.

I'd like it to be ORL that overpays...it sickens me that LAL could walk away with him for such weak offers...

or

ORL sends: Markelle Fultz & Chuma Okeke (both expiring), ORL 24 frp (top 5), DEN 25 frp, ORL 27 frp (top 5)

or

ORL sends: Wendell Carter Jr, Gary Harris (expiring but you might like him), ORL 24 frp (top 5), DEN 25 frp

LA ain't getting him. LA wants every teams they consider minor league to give them their best players for a penny on the dollar. LA can go F themselves
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,843

Post#251 » by Skybox » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:56 pm

King Ken wrote:
Skybox wrote:

or

or

LA ain't getting him. LA wants every teams they consider minor league to give them their best players for a penny on the dollar. LA can go F themselves

Hope you're right...what do you think of the offers I proposed?...I tried to address the different possible directions ATL might be considering. They're not bad at any spot and they can't be considering a total rebuild with Trae around.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#252 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#253 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:11 pm

King Ken wrote:
Skybox wrote:

or

or

Why can’t the fans and owners arround the league understand that the Lakers are Harlem GlobeTrotters and the rest of the teams are the Washington Generals. The league is just supposed to be a prop for the Lakers.

If the Lakers want DeJounte the Hawks are supposed to go give up a 1st round draft pick for the privilege of giving DeJounte to the Lakers. If the Hawks do not cooperate the Lakers will I’ll tell their mother I mean tell the commissioner and the Hawks will be in trouble.

Here is my deal: DeJounte, Trae Young and Capela to the Lakers. Hawks get 50 million dollars. Every other team gets a million dollars. Hawks season ticket owners each get $1,000. The commissioner gets 5 million dollars. The Commision rules that DeJounte,Trae Young and Capela are a special case and their salaries count as zero dollars for salary cap purposes.

10 teams have probably made offers for DeJounte but none of those offers are as good as the Hawks hoped for.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#254 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:32 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Here is my deal: DeJounte, Trae Young and Capela to the Lakers. Hawks get 50 million dollars. Every other team gets a million dollars. Hawks season ticket owners each get $1,000. The commissioner gets 5 million dollars. The Commisioner rules that DeJounte, Trae Young and Capela are a special case and their salaries count as zero dollars for salary cap purposes.

Throw in a conditional 2nd rounder that will never convert...and our owner might actual take you up on this.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,005

Post#255 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:03 am

Jamaaliver wrote:It's funny, as bad as things seem now, they *pale in comparison to the dysfunction that occurred under Billy Knight and the Atlanta Spirit.

Hard to beat a guy who picked a glue guy with an awkward jumper one year, and turned around and drafted a 6th man, PF, with the #2 pick overall over the top 3 PGs(1 surefire HoF and another that was on track to being a surefire) when you needed a PG and not another PF. But wait, there's more. He followed that up with....another PF the year after. Well certainly he's got enough PF's at this point right?!? No. He took 1 more(albeit a quality one this time) before finally getting canned.

P.S: I know this wasn't about Billy Knight, but my goodness just seeing him mentioned in anything Hawks related just grinds my gears. The mini tangent just wouldn't stop.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#256 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:27 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#257 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:48 am

The only guy who got more trade talk attention than DeJounte the las 2 months was Siakam.
With time running out I am betting that Dejounte does not get traded.

DeJounte is an easy fit and easy upgrade for so many teams. I am sure the Hawks got plenty of offers. But I don’t think the Hawks ever really wanted to trade DeJounte unless the Hawks could rip their trade partner off.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,387

Post#258 » by King Ken » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:31 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:The only guy who got more trade talk attention than DeJounte the las 2 months was Siakam.
With time running out I am betting that Dejounte does not get traded.

DeJounte is an easy fit and easy upgrade for so many teams. I am sure the Hawks got plenty of offers. But I don’t think the Hawks ever really wanted to trade DeJounte unless the Hawks could rip their trade partner off.

It's more complex than this but this ain't over. It never is with the Hawks. We will be back to this again in June.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#259 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:32 pm

Thoughts on potentially moving away from 6'8" Okongwu? (And Jalen's best friend on the team?)

Read on Twitter
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,005

Post#260 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:40 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Thoughts on potentially moving away from 6'8" Okongwu? (And Jalen's bet friend on the team?)

Read on Twitter

Unless we're getting something back along the lines of Hawkins, Dyson Daniels, and the LAL FRP, i'm not really interested including OO.

Return to Atlanta Hawks