ImageImage

Anthony Edwards

Moderators: HMFFL, dms269, Jamaaliver

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,617

Anthony Edwards 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:31 am

I'll probably try to go out and see him before the season ends but has anybody seen this kid play?

He is a projected top 5 pick when ever he decides to enter the draft. Scouts say he is a super athlete with a good mid range game and said that his game resembles Kobe.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Re: Anthony Edwards 

Post#2 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:19 pm

WOW!!! This is unsuspected!

Edwards has been compared to Kobe and is the top ranked high schooler for 2020.

This is huge for UGA!

This is the biggest signing since Dominique!

Who knows if Edwards will have a similar freshmen season to Durant or Carmelo or something lower like Austin RIvers, Emmanuel Mudiay, or Exum, but this defiantly puts UGA on the national map for a year.
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#3 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Wow. That is very big for UGA. Should be interesting for sure.

Always felt like UGA's last chance to really raise the profile of the program would have been if Tubby Smith had stayed. Frankly, I think Tubby would have been better served to do that too with the benefit of hindsight. Tubby was never all-in on recruiting and it hurt him at UK but his level of recruiting would have been fine at UGA and he would have had plenty of targets given the talent in the state.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,437

Post#4 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:37 am

An insane talent. One of the rare straight out of high school phenoms.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:02 am

I don't think Edwards will have a freshmen year like Durant had (hopefully I'm wrong), but with the talent in UGA so low, he could be a one man team and end up being a +23ppg scorer. Hopefully he won't struggle in his freshmen year like Jaylen Brown did as a freshmen and will have a similar season to that of Eric Gordon.

Watching more of Edwards' game, he remind me of a better version of Bradley Beal.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:38 pm

This can be the UGA 2020 thread...

Edwards has looked great! He looks like a rich man's RJ Barrett, or Barrett with a jump shot.

Shout out to Sahvir Wheeler. Great fundamentals, IQ, and game management. He reminds me of Brevin Knight. He is making the perfect backcourt teammate to Edwards.

This could be the year that UGA makes a shot at the SEC championship and a sweet 16 appearance!

Dawgs have an easy schedule until January when they will face Memphis and Kentucky and we will see how much Edwards can elevate the rest of the team.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,634

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:01 pm

Anthony Edwards Ignites No. 1 Pick Conversation at Maui Invitational

Georgia freshman Anthony Edwards made his case to be the top pick in the 2020 NBA draft after erupting for 37 points against Michigan State in the Maui Invitational

You may have already heard that top draft prospect Anthony Edwards arrived on Tuesday in Maui, or rather, he detonated, to the tune of 33 second-half points, albeit in Georgia’s second loss in two days. He brought the Bulldogs back from down 21 points at half against Michigan State with a transcendent stretch of pull-up threes, highlight passes and out-of-nowhere defensive gambits that almost made Bill Walton combust on-air. These are all things that, to varying degrees, bolster his candidacy as the potential No. 1 pick in the 2020 draft, which is where we projected him on our first mock draft of the season. If nothing else, it’s the first significant piece of his résumé, and it’s a big one.

Few college players can legitimately qualify as unguardable; Edwards was that. And three weeks into the season, we now have a much better grasp of his strengths. He’s actually more like 6’3” than his listed height of 6’5”, but in one as as that hardly matters. with the way he can create separation off the dribble and get to his streaky yet potent jumper. Multiple scouts I spoke with expressed concerns over his tendency to settle for deep threes, but when they’re going in it’s hard to argue with Edwards’ decision-making process. Tuesday brought the hottest of heat checks, and an NBA caliber display of sustained shooting off a variety of gathers. There was one mid range jumper from the left baseline where he contorted nearly full-180—in midair—with his back to the rim and squared up successfully. Not many people on the planet can hit that particular shot. His ability to create on the perimeter, use his individual threat to playmake for others, and cover tons of ground on the defensive end add up into potential stardom. Sure, there wasn’t a whole ton of pressure to perform down 20, but he single-handedly did bring his team back into the game. The upside is rather obvious.

Thankfully, we have a full season to assess his progress against tough SEC competition. For context, Edwards is not a Zion Williamson or a Ja Morant, but had he been in the 2019 draft, off potential alone, Edwards might have been the third guy off the board. Teams are still figuring him out, but nobody walked away unimpressed.
SI.com
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#8 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:30 am

Trae/Edwards next 10 years! New age Zeke/Dumars.... offensive versions! More offensive versions.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 4, 2020 10:35 am

Read on Twitter
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 531

Post#10 » by raleigh » Tue Feb 4, 2020 10:54 pm

If he wasn't playing for UGA, none of you would want him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:13 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:15 am

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:52 am

I wish i could say that Edwards' PG skills are as good as Luka when he was a rookie, but I really can't. Although Edwards has very good PG skills for his size.

I can say that Edwards is a better shooter than RJ Barrett. I can also confidently say that Edwards' athleticism is on par with Wade and Bradley Beal.

I'm a huge UGA fan, and I wish I could say that Edwards is the next Luka, but I think Edwards' ceiling is Bradley Beal, which is a fringe all star but not a true #1 and a guy who will put up big number and might get over paid like Joe Johnson.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,437

Post#14 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:52 pm

Antman is nowhere near Wade in the aa department. However, comparison to Beal is the most realistic current comp. His best ball is ahead of him no doubt.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:12 pm

Chris Kirchner wrote:Hawks NBA Draft Board

...after a few conversations with some sources and draft experts and through my own analysis of what the Hawks need to add to their roster, this is the first edition of the team’s big board.

1. Anthony Edwards, G, Georgia

Of the top prospects in this draft, there’s not a smoother positional fit for the Hawks. Edwards’ explosiveness, athleticism, size and scoring ability are what the Hawks should be looking for as a long-term option at the two-guard spot.

At 6-foot-5 with a 6-9 wingspan and 225 pounds, he could grow into what the Hawks need defensively at the two-guard position next to Trae Young. The problem is getting him to buy all the way in on that end of the floor. There are several skeptics who worry about Edwards’ effort and willingness to fully commit to giving his best effort defensively. From what I’ve been told, his work ethic is definitely a big question mark for many people in the league, including some in Atlanta’s organization.

If he’s willing to accept not being the main option for the Hawks and is motivated by playing a secondary role next to Young, he’s the perfect choice for Atlanta at the top of the draft.
The Athletic -- August 2020
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#16 » by Radioblacktive1 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:45 pm

Aren’t work ethic issues like the biggest red flag?
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,656

Post#17 » by kg01 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 8:01 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:Aren’t work ethic issues like the biggest red flag?

You don't typically "learn" work ethic.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:36 am

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:07 pm

CONGRATULATIONS TO ANTHONY EDWARDS!!!

As far as i know, he is the first UGA player to go #1 in the NBA draft.

Like Nique, I think Antman is going to have alot of all star appearances and throw up big numbers in the NBA.

I really appreciate local talent staying home and representing GA.

Hoping this will show other local talent that they can still stay home, go to UGA and still get drafted high in the NBA.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:36 pm

Spoiler:

Return to Atlanta Hawks