Moderators: HMFFL, dms269, Jamaaliver

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,643

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:31 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
jayu70 wrote:I think in an earlier thread I said go big...

Combo of bpa and positional need.

CP Hawks, I'm curious what you're thoughts are of Kel 'El Ware and Kyle Filipowski. Both guys play positions of need (backup C/PF) and seem like solid starters based on size and skill set.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,437

Post#42 » by CP War Hawks » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:
jayu70 wrote:I think in an earlier thread I said go big...

Combo of bpa and positional need.

CP Hawks, I'm curious what you're thoughts are of Kel 'El Ware and Kyle Filipowski. Both guys play positions of need (backup C/PF) and seem like solid starters based on size and skill set.

I mean I like Ware to an extent, not so much Clingan, and Flip who got outplayed by Ndongo. Better value for a big in the 2nd are Edey and Dickinson imo.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:17 am

CP War Hawks wrote:I mean I like Ware to an extent, not so much Clingan, and Flip who got outplayed by Ndongo. Better value for a big in the 2nd are Edey and Dickinson imo.

1. Noted.

2. I'm not so familiar with these kids that I know them by one name or nicknames.

• Can you tell me more about Ware?
  • Is 'Flip' Kyle Filipowski?
  • I no longer live in Atlanta; I've never heard of Ndongo.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,437

Post#44 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:40 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:I mean I like Ware to an extent, not so much Clingan, and Flip who got outplayed by Ndongo. Better value for a big in the 2nd are Edey and Dickinson imo.

1. Noted.

2. I'm not so familiar with these kids that I know them by one name or nicknames.

• Can you tell me more about Ware?
  • Is 'Flip' Kyle Filipowski?
  • I no longer live in Atlanta; I've never heard of Ndongo.

I only go by a few condensed games like this for Ware. Didn't really like what I saw especially for this Atl team. He's too slow footed to contest NBA level finishers imo. Should be a couple Hoosier fans on the draft board that can tell you more.

https://youtu.be/YCplQ2fyK44

I'm not a fan of most Duke bigs so yeah no Flip for me. Ndongo is a true freshmen power forward, reminds me of Taylor Hendricks of last years draft. I follow Tech ball so he caught my eye.

One bigman I think Fields could look at with that Sac pick is Bradshaw out of Kentucky. Good bounce and defensive instincts for a 7-1 guy imo.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:18 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#46 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:44 am

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:47 am

This guy could become our version of Jaime Jaquez Jr.

Terrence Shannon Jr.

School/Team: Illinois
Position: SG/SF
Size: 6'6", 215 lbs
Pro comparison: Kelly Oubre Jr.

Shooting 41.5 percent on 6.5 three-point attempts, Terrence Shannon Jr. is complementing his open-floor speed and half-court slashing with shotmaking that's helping to diminish concerns about his scoring versatility for the NBA.

We've seen hot streaks from him before, so he'll want to keep it up through conference play to avoid scouts questioning his shooting legitimacy. But the increased three-point volume is a promising sign, and there isn't much to question about Shannon's ability to explode in transition, blow by, finish and defend wings.
Bleacher Report

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:58 am

Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:00 am

Read on Twitter

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,386

Post#50 » by King Ken » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:44 am

Right now, no tiers, just raw rankings so far:

1. Reed Sheppard - Combination of Tyler Ulis and Tyler Herro. By far the best player in this draft. Unlike Ulis, his size and athleticism will translate to the NBA. His scoring and shooting definitely will.

2. Ja'Kobe Walter - Ray Allen like scorer but he can actually defend. He's definitely either #1 or #2 in this class.

3. Cody Williams - He's like a 35-pound lighter De'Andre Hunter on defense but offensively, he gives you a lot of Paul George upside. He's probably two years away from being where he will be physically and ability-wise but his upside makes him #3 overall for me.

4. Nikola Topic - I really see him as Ricky Rubio who can shoot within the mid-range and close to the basket. Maybe can't shoot 3s but he can shoot middys. I see a legit starting PG.

5. Ron Holland - After 4, it becomes role player and situational players draft for me. Ron is a taller Latrell Speewell without the polish. Some will compare him to Tari Eason. He doesn't play winning ball at all but he is extremely productive. I think he's too productive to fall out of the lottery but Eason and recently, Cam Whitmore has so teams are really avoiding the prototype of wings who can't play within a scheme with a passion seeing as those players have been either busts or overpaid, and became busts at insane rates.

6. Alex Sarr - Scouts love him for his what if. He can defend all 5 positions. He can shoot a bit. He moves effortlessly. He can create his own basket to a degree. He basically looks like a potential better JJJ with self-offensive creation skills but he isn't good at basketball. He's not good on defense. He's way too light. Doesn't really have a position. He's probably a 4 long-term. He's the player that could just be massively better in 3 years but he could also be the same and just rotten on a bench somewhere. He's not productive at all. JJJ was at this stage. I said avoid Wiseman and I was right. I would avoid Sarr but I do like Sarr chances a lot more than Wiseman. He's extremely talented but I been bit by the extremely talented, non-productive bug before in Cam Reddish. Buyer beware. That said, Sarr doesn't have anywhere near the flaws Cam had. He's just not any good right now.

7. Zaccharie Risacher - Big fan of Risacher as a 3/D wing with NBA athleticism and size. He can be a 2 or 3. He's probably the one I want most on the Hawks. He doesn't really have star upside but he could be a 18ppg scorer in an off-ball role. He's probably the one kid that really fits what we are lacking. Clearly #1 on my Hawks big board but should be #1 on several teams big board.

8. Kyle Filipowski - He was my top guy on the Hawks big board at 15 last year and he's probably #2 this year at their current spot. He's gotten 10-15 pounds bigger. He's a 5. He's can score with ease although struggles to get an easy basket. Man, this kid can pass his ass off. Sengun like as a passer but better. Superior defender to Sabonis and Sengun. Great basketball mind. Needs a rim protector next to him at the next level but not a liability at all. He's an excellent fit next to OO. Still doesn't give us an easy scoring big but he fits what Quin's offense is to a T. Best passing center since Jokic. I would be shocked if he fell out of the top 10.

9. Donovan Clingan - What I like about D. Clingan is he's just athletic enough to do what he does in college in the NBA. You are talking about a better-than-Vuc-level offensive player. Shooting will take time but he can play the PnR. Just impossible to guard in the paint, will remind you of Bryant "Big Country" Reeves. He can protect the paint too. Not really the best rim protector though. I love this kid but stamina is an issue. Probably a 26 mpg max player. For a star player, that might not be enough which is why I can see him sliding to the late lottery but he's a sure thing to me. He's one of the best at scoring an easy basket since Zion and likely better as his motor is superior. Stamina is an issue and likely will always be especially in the modern NBA.

10. Ryan Dunn - Best player left on the board. I only seen clips and he's probably going to be in my top 3 when it's all said and done. His athleticism and metrics SCREAM, Shawn Marion.

After 10, it becomes a crapshoot.

11. Collier - He's a really good player but no real strength for now. Some will compare him to Smart but he was a way better defender.

12. Buzelis - Another what if player who's not close. His talent is real like Collier so I'll keep him here.

13. Wagner - I like Wagner more than Dillingham even though Dillingham is better because Wagner has a lot of athletic traits I like, just like Maxey has plus the size (192). Wagner isn't the same quality of shooter Maxey was and that's where his bread will be buttered but Wagner is already a better PG than Maxey was at that time. Maxey is a better defender than Wagner was so Maxey is a tad better as a prospect over Wagner.

14. Dillingham - He's a way better player than Wagner but he's 174 and plays like Monta Ellis. I don't know if he's more than a high-end 6th man but that worked for Tyler Herro and Rob is better than Herro, just nowhere close to the same level of shooter.

15. Kevin McCullar - Best player left on the board

16. Terrance Shannon Jr. - Best player left on the board

17. Kel'el Ware - 3/D 5 but not much of a paint or rim protector. Good passer. He's a unique prospect.

18. Tyler Smith - Potential. Clear potential. Could move up the board.

The rest are clear as day, G-Leaguers. Some could be a lot more, most won't.

If I am the Hawks

9. I'll take Reed Sheppard. If he's on the board, I'm taking him at 1 or anywhere.

If you ask me who's the superstar in this class in 4-5 years, it's easy. It's Reed. He's gonna need some time. I don't think he's someone you just throw into the starting 5 day 1 but he will be a starter sooner than later and he can fit our scheme with Quin. https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=reed-sheppard--stephen-curry--trae-young--tyler-herro

24. Terrance Shannon Jr. - Highly productive, good player, comparable with Josh Hart https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=terrence-shannon-jr--josh-hart--quentin-grimes

51. Zvonimir Ivisic

I don't see guys who are perfect fits for us. I like Zaccharie Risacher a lot. I think he might be a great fit for us. Especially at the 2 long term. I'll probably go with the best player available with upside like we did last year for this scheme. Reed is just special long-term.

I'll probably shoot a flyer to Ryan Kalkbrenner
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#51 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 1, 2024 7:32 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#52 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 2, 2024 2:53 pm

This was a kid I initially had serious hopes for. I believe he could have a Jaime Jaquz Jr type effect as a rookie, being so old and polished at this point.

I am now removing him from my big board...

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#53 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:30 pm

We may be stocked up on SGs at the moment, but...

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#54 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:02 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#55 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#56 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:18 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#58 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 3, 2024 5:39 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#59 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 6, 2024 9:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Dillon Jones

School/Team: Weber State
Position: SG/SF
Size: 6'6", 235 lbs

Pro comparison: David Roddy

Scouts sound conflicted by Dillon Jones' out-of-the-box fit and versatility. Questions about whether he's dangerous enough on the ball or a good-enough shooter to play off it are valid.

However, some team in the second round figures to be enticed by the Swiss Army knife potential that his ball-handling, passing, rebounding and shot-making flashes create.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#60 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 6, 2024 11:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks