Hawks Offseason Thread -- Summer 2024

Moderators: HMFFL, dms269, Jamaaliver

dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,545

Re: Hawks Offseason Thread -- Summer 2024 

Post#61 » by dms269 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I don't think Ingram is on pace for a $50+ million contract next summer.

Is he a worthy trade target?

Read on Twitter
Nope. Huge limitations with him. Very iso-forward, not a great defender, and him being expiring is a huge issue.

He is gonna want 50M. Will he take less? Possibly. But there is no guarantee he will come back with us.

You don't trade cheap contracts for expiring ones.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,634

Post#62 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 5, 2024 7:02 pm

dms269 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I don't think Ingram is on pace for a $50+ million contract next summer.

Nope. Huge limitations with him. Very iso-forward, not a great defender, and him being expiring is a huge issue.

He is gonna want 50M. Will he take less? Possibly. But there is no guarantee he will come back with us.

What if it doesn't cost us DeJounte (directly)?

Expiring Ingram for Hunter, Capela, AJ + draft picks?
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#63 » by dms269 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:13 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
dms269 wrote:

What if it doesn't cost us DeJounte (directly)?

Expiring Ingram for Hunter, Capela, AJ + draft picks?
I am very cautious of us continuing to toss picks in the future. We have seen how it messes up teams where they keep tossing away picks to try and compete or they end up in a situation like the Nets were, Suns are now, where they are aging/losing and can't do much.

I still think others teams would offer more for him than that type.of package.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#64 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 6, 2024 1:04 pm

Wesley Morton wrote:Here’s a quick rundown of the roster as we head into the summer (all figures per Spotrac if not otherwise stated):

Guaranteed salary for 2024-25
  • Trae Young (~$43 million)
  • Dejounte Murray (~$26.2 million assuming a bump for unlikely incentives reached, first year of extension)
  • Clint Capela (~$22.3 million, expiring)
  • De’Andre Hunter (~$22 million)
  • Bogdan Bogdanovic (~$17.3 million)
  • Onyeka Okongwu ($14 million, first year of extension)
  • Jalen Johnson (~$4.5 million, extension eligible)
  • Kobe Bufkin (~$4.3 million)
  • AJ Griffin (~$3.9 million, team option in 2025-26)
  • Mouhamed Gueye (~$1.9 million, unguaranteed in 2025-26)

Partial guarantee/non-guarantee/team option
  • Bruno Fernando (~$2.7 million unguaranteed)
  • Garrison Mathews (~$2.3 million team option)

Restricted free agency (if qualifying offer is declined)
  • Saddiq Bey (~$7 million qualifying offer for making starter criteria)
  • Vit Krejci (<$100,000 two-way qualifying offer)
  • Seth Lundy (<$100,000 two-way qualifying offer)

Unrestricted free agency (either non-Bird, early Bird, or full Bird rights)
  • Trent Forrest (early Bird)
  • Wesley Matthews (non-Bird)
  • Dylan Windler (unrestricted due to him exhausting his two-way eligibility, non-Bird)
Peachtree Hoops
B4sketball
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#65 » by B4sketball » Tue May 7, 2024 12:11 pm

Hello, guys.
Long time (almost 40 years supporting the team) fan here and all member of this forum.

After seeing this 23/24 season, it is clear to me that the team plays better (plays as a team) with Murray as our PG. Nothing against Trae as a person, but he is too small, not committed to playing defense and the offense is so based on him that the rest of the players do not give what they have inside.

Also it is clear to me that pairing Trae and Dejounte is not the best way to get the best out of them, although I also thought that was a good idea a couple of summers ago.

So my plan would be listening to the offers we are going to get for Trae and choose the best one. Maybe not the best one, but the one that offers us the better tools to complete our roster.

Murray and Bufkin are enough at the PG position, where Bogi can give a hand if needed.
Bogi and Krejci are a good pair of SGs, although a true good player here would be welcomed.
The group of forwards we have is what I like the most in our roster. Bey, Johnson, Hunter, Griffin. Good young players in good contracts. We should find a fourth forward, a bigger and/or taller one who can really play the 4, although I love our versatility.
The trio of centers we have is what I probably like the less. I mean, I love the guys, but the three of them have serious limitations (none can shoot, all are quiet short, no real intimidators, cannot put the ball on the deck). I would love to find a good "modern" center.

So my number one priority with Trae's trade would be to find a shooting center and a shooting guard. We could send one of our bigs together with Trae to get back what I mentioned.
The trade I would try to make would be Trae+Capena = Wendell Carter Jr.+Markelle Fultz, although Fultz is finishing off his contract with the Magic. Also I would not mind adding the Wagner SF to the equation, as we believe we could use his playmaking abilities to pair with Murray, who is not a true PG.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#66 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 7, 2024 12:37 pm

B4sketball wrote:Hello, guys.

Long time (almost 40 years supporting the team) fan here and all member of this forum.

Welcome aboard, brother.

We're a small but passionate group here.
But you'll find it a good place for good conversation with good people.

Be sure to check out:

The Braves Forum

The Falcons Forum

The General Board (where most of the action happens)
B4sketball
Ballboy

Post#67 » by B4sketball » Tue May 7, 2024 2:00 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
B4sketball wrote:Hello, guys.

Welcome aboard, brother.

We're a small but passionate group here.
But you'll find it a good place for good conversation with good people.

Be sure to check out:

The Braves Forum

The Falcons Forum

The General Board (where most of the action happens)

Thank you, man.
I have been here a while ago and interacted in this forum.

Thank you. I wish I understood football and baseball, but they are not within my interests.

I know you/we are a small group here, but always interesting conversation.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#68 » by dms269 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:22 pm

B4sketball wrote:The trade I would try to make would be Trae+Capena = Wendell Carter Jr.+Markelle Fultz, although Fultz is finishing off his contract with the Magic. Also I would not mind adding the Wagner SF to the equation, as we believe we could use his playmaking abilities to pair with Murray, who is not a true PG.

WCJ and Fultz is an awful return for Trae and Capela. I can't imagine the Magic are considering shopping Wagner either.

The best the Magic would likely be offering is some combo of WCJ, Black, Howard, and picks.

I am not sure moving Trae instead of Murray is the best option. It might be good to clear your hands of the drama around him, but you would need to get a haul. He is the face of the franchise and moving him for "pieces" is a hard sell.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#69 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 7, 2024 4:08 pm

dms269 wrote:
B4sketball wrote:The trade I would try to make would be Trae+Capena = Wendell Carter Jr.+Markelle Fultz, although Fultz is finishing off his contract with the Magic. Also I would not mind adding the Wagner SF to the equation, as we believe we could use his playmaking abilities to pair with Murray, who is not a true PG.

WCJ and Fultz is an awful return for Trae and Capela.

I am not sure moving Trae instead of Murray is the best option. It might be good to clear your hands of the drama around him, but you would need to get a haul. He is the face of the franchise and moving him for "pieces" is a hard sell.

I understand why so many Hawks fans are ready to move on from the Trae Young era.
But, I'm with dms on this one.

1. Trae is by far the most talented player the Hawks have had in over a decade. I'm not quite ready to walk away from an in-prime All NBA talent. Yet.
2. A team built around DeJounte Murray will be good, but have a pretty low ceiling.

Trae's obnoxious and a ball hog and a poor defender and a bad leader.
But he's legitimately great at like everything else.

I'd only consider moving him this summer for:

a) a star of equal or greater value.
b) massive draft capital as part of a major overhaul.
B4sketball
Ballboy

Post#70 » by B4sketball » Wed May 8, 2024 10:54 am

I do not understand what happened here. I posted a quiet long text that was published yesterday and it is not here today.
Uau...

Well, I came to say that probably my idea is not the best one.
I just believe that we need a shooting center and another scorer or quality outside player.
I indeed think that we could take a great advantage of having 3 strong and athletic forwards by combining them with a center that does not need to be near the basket all the time for his game to be effective.

So probably Carter and Fultz is indeed an awful return for Capela and Trae, but maybe Carter and Wagner and Fultz could be a nice return for Trae. My point in including Capela is because we still have Fernando and OO. Fernando was a beast in the PI and last games of the RS. He deserves minutes off the bench. OO is too small to be a 5, also lacks a lot of shooting to be effective or to be a PF.
Also Capela's main strength is getting lobes and easy passes from Trae.

I would be delighted to hear about interesting trades that we could fulfill for Trae.

The fLakers are said to offer Hachimura, Russell and Reaves.

Would we take Beal and a second player for Trae?

Murray
Beal
Bey
Johnson
XXX
-------------
Bufkin
Bogdanovic
Hunter
OO
-------------
Griffin
Fernando
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,983

Post#71 » by jayu70 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:00 pm

B4sketball wrote:I do not understand what happened here. I posted a quiet long text that was published yesterday and it is not here today.
Uau...

I just believe that we need a shooting center and another scorer or quality outside player.
I indeed think that we could take a great advantage of having 3 strong and athletic forwards by combining them with a center that does not need to be near the basket all the time for his game to be effective.

So probably Carter and Fultz is indeed an awful return for Capela and Trae, but maybe Carter and Wagner and Fultz could be a nice return for Trae. My point in including Capela is because we still have Fernando and OO. Fernando was a beast in the PI and last games of the RS. He deserves minutes off the bench. OO is too small to be a 5, also lacks a lot of shooting to be effective or to be a PF.

I would be delighted to hear about interesting trades that we could fulfill for Trae.

Murray
Beal
Bey
Johnson
XXX
-------------
Bufkin
Bogdanovic
Hunter
OO
-------------
Griffin
Fernando

Your evaluation of Trae seems to be way off on the low side.
LAL doesn't have enough to offer for Trae. No upside players.
Only if the 2nd player coming with Beal is Booker. So that would be a no for Beal.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#72 » by dms269 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:50 pm

B4sketball wrote:I do not understand what happened here. I posted a quiet long text that was published yesterday and it is not here today.
Uau...

Murray
Beal
Bey
Johnson
XXX
-------------
Bufkin
Bogdanovic
Hunter
OO
-------------
Griffin
Fernando

Not to rain on your parade but...

I don't see the Magic moving Wagner. I feel like Banchero, Wagner, and Suggs are off the table. If they want one of our pgs then it is some combination of the rest (Black, Howard, Anthony, WCJ, picks).

I think most can agree that Capela needs to do. I am personally fine with OO starting if we can improve the backup.

I feel like moving Trae is not the idea. He is an attraction. A Murray led team is boring. That being said, if we moved him it would be difficult to see some of those teams trading for him. It would need to be Reaves plus their picks they can move. For the Suns no chance. Beal's always injured and his production v.s. his salary makes him a negative at this point.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#73 » by HMFFL » Wed May 8, 2024 1:59 pm

Hawks are betting favorites to land Brandon Ingram

Ingram is among those mentioned the most in trade rumors. The Hawks are actually the betting favorites to land him in a trade if the Pels move him. Atlanta sits at +300, followed by Orlando at +500, Sacramento at +600, and Cleveland at +700, per BetOnline.

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/hawks-are-the-betting-favorites-to-land-all-star-in-trade/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0Ochm2JdkAkPTfW6jBPcjhMb5b_rpjJPBGRF6oNCxAAg6TUaNFKS_p9tI_aem_ARKMafGx37aapHUhiGqbza7zAx2_QQmJU6QXnawNc0Hf9z3VPHnvKN-VedbJBd2RJhVOAyw7X8WkgL8fg_XWopo8

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,050

Post#74 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:16 pm

HMFFL wrote:Hawks are betting favorites to land Brandon Ingram

Ingram is among those mentioned the most in trade rumors. The Hawks are actually the betting favorites to land him in a trade if the Pels move him. Atlanta sits at +300, followed by Orlando at +500, Sacramento at +600, and Cleveland at +700, per BetOnline.

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/hawks-are-the-betting-favorites-to-land-all-star-in-trade/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0Ochm2JdkAkPTfW6jBPcjhMb5b_rpjJPBGRF6oNCxAAg6TUaNFKS_p9tI_aem_ARKMafGx37aapHUhiGqbza7zAx2_QQmJU6QXnawNc0Hf9z3VPHnvKN-VedbJBd2RJhVOAyw7X8WkgL8fg_XWopo8

I'm not a fan of trading for Ingram. He's fine as a player, but I don't see the fit with Trae and I think that the front court is where we need the most work. Hunter is fine at SF if the team plays right

One thing is for sure, Trae and Murray didn't fit so expect Murray to be traded in a big shake up. ORL seems likely
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,983

Post#75 » by jayu70 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:02 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Hawks are betting favorites to land Brandon Ingram

I'm not a fan of trading for Ingram. He's fine as a player, but I don't see the fit with Trae and I think that the front court is where we need the most work. Hunter is fine at SF if the team plays right

One thing is for sure, Trae and Murray didn't fit so expect Murray to be traded in a big shake up. ORL seems likely

Ingram is the taller version of Murray (plays in the midrange and needs the ball to be most effective) and will be making twice as much and I don't think he provides the type of aggressiveness and toughness on defense that we sorely needed.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#76 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 8, 2024 5:59 pm

jayu70 wrote:Ingram is the taller version of Murray (plays in the midrange and needs the ball to be most effective) and will be making twice as much and I don't think he provides the type of aggressiveness and toughness on defense that we sorely needed.

Read on Twitter

Ingram isn't my top choice for a trade target, but I do believe that he and Trae could co-exist on a court better than Trae and DJM because of their differing sizes/positions.

A forward attacking off the dribble for mid range shots is different than a guard doing so.

• One reason is that we get to add a sweet-shooting 6'6" SG to the mix -- that typically wasn't the case previously.
  • Another reason is that we can actually run PnRs with a PG and SF/PF that wouldn't really work as well with just another smallish 2-guard.
  • Most importantly, most players can't effectively guard both Trae and Ingram. So as where Cody Martin or Jrue Holiday could always switch from our #1 option (Trae) to our #2 option (Dejounte) without missing a beat - adding a 6'9" pure scorer to the mix means someone is likely getting a mismatch on a PnR.

Plus, Ingram can catch lobs over the top of the defense at least slightly better than DeJounte can.

TL;DR: A starting 5 comprised of

Okongwu
Jalen
Ingram
Bogdan
Trae

is an imperfect starting 5. It just fits better than what we currently have.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#77 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:31 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Ingram is the taller version of Murray (plays in the midrange and needs the ball to be most effective) and will be making twice as much and I don't think he provides the type of aggressiveness and toughness on defense that we sorely needed.

Read on Twitter

Ingram isn't my top choice for a trade target, but I do believe that he and Trae could co-exist on a court better than Trae and DJM because of their differing sizes/positions.

A forward attacking off the dribble for mid range shots is different than a guard doing so.

• One reason is that we get to add a sweet-shooting 6'6" SG to the mix -- that typically wasn't the case previously.
  • Another reason is that we can actually run PnRs with a PG and SF/PF that wouldn't really work as well with just another smallish 2-guard.
  • Most importantly, most players can't effectively guard both Trae and Ingram. So as where Cody Martin or Jrue Holiday could always switch from our #1 option (Trae) to our #2 option (Dejounte) without missing a beat - adding a 6'9" pure scorer to the mix means someone is likely getting a mismatch on a PnR.

Plus, Ingram can catch lobs over the top of the defense at least slightly better than DeJounte can.

TL;DR: A starting 5 comprised of

Okongwu
Jalen
Ingram
Bogdan
Trae

Looks like an interesting lineup for a 6'10" and under league. It would be the smallest ball ever
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#78 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:32 pm

Great offseason to have some SRPs to trade. There are some late FRPs there for the taking
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#79 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 8, 2024 6:51 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:TL;DR: A starting 5 comprised of

Okongwu
Jalen
Ingram
Bogdan
Trae

Looks like an interesting lineup for a 6'10" and under league. It would be the smallest ball ever

:dontknow:

Miami went to the NBA Finals just last year with a similar sized lineup.
Golden State won a title with a 6'6" PF and the rotting corpse of Kevon Looney.

I feel like having a huge Center off the bench is useful, but not necessary to contend.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#80 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:TL;DR: A starting 5 comprised of

Okongwu
Jalen
Ingram
Bogdan
Trae

:dontknow:

Miami went to the NBA Finals just last year with a similar sized lineup.
Golden State won a title with a 6'6" PF and the rotting corpse of Kevon Looney.

I feel like having a huge Center off the bench is useful, but not necessary to contend.

There will likely never be another GSWs and the Heat are the best coached and GMed team in the league. That won't make your lineup work. The league is getting much bigger lately and we need some of that. Like:

Fili
OO
JJ
Bigger, better off ball SG
Trae

With Edey off the bench :D

Return to Atlanta Hawks