ImageImage

ATL last in NBA in 3pt shooting!!!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

ACE_reppin_ATL
Senior
And1: 0

ATL last in NBA in 3pt shooting!!! 

Post#1 » by ACE_reppin_ATL » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:26 pm

WE ARE last in the league in both 3PT makes, 3PT%, and 2nd to last in 3PT attempts...WOW!!!

ONE of our glaring needs for improvement is our oustide shooting. And with JJ struggling and playing poorly, our opponents will continue to stay packed inside, constantly making it tough for our guys to drive or get 1-on-1 opportunities inside. That is obviously the issue with our offense.

This management has to go out and make some kind of move to improve this team before we find ourselves looking up in a fight for a bottom playoff spot when we very well should be, at worse, middle of the pack. We have the peices, chemistry, and talent to be a top 4 team in the East this year but the organization is blowing our chances.

Teams like IND, BOS, and DAL were the only teams that really beat us convincingly this year. And guess what? They did it easily with outside shooting, while the Hawks looked dumb-founded and too passive in those games. JJ not being able to make shots just closes our offense down and no one else keep the D honest and spreads the floor.

WE HAVE TO RUN!!! RUN!!! RUN!!! And take care of the ball or WE HAVE TO SHOOT DRAMATICALLY BETTER FROM THE OUTSIDE!!!!
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#2 » by D21 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:38 pm

And after that, still anyone wanting to trade for Andre Miller ? ;)

Salim and even Law were supposed to shoot 3s. If they can't, we need a PG who can shoot, or a wing shooter like James Jones.
Just one interesting thing: TOR shooters are all having carrier best (or nearly) at 3 this year: Calderon, Parker, Bargnani, Delfino, Dixon and... Kapono. I was only going to see their stats, then gonig on the team stat, I find TOR as... 1st at 3 pts shooting. Seems that the more you have shooters, the harder is it for opponent to stop them. We only have one at this moment... It also shows how well Calderon distribute the ball.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#3 » by Rip2137 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:31 pm

I would rather be in the tops of freethrow attempts than three attempts.

Not saying they don't need to get a shooter or use the...well...one we have, but this stat isn't necessarily shocking. But one thing, our offense is too tight. Josh Smith knows he doesn't have three point range(finally, so he is about a step inside the arch. marvin opperates about a step inside the arch. Joe gets the ball about two steps inside the arch. So basically we have the overly compacted offense that is giong to cause alot of turnovers and stagnate quickly because of the inability to move freely around the court.
Jjforprez
Junior

Post#4 » by Jjforprez » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:39 pm

I was hoping Salim would be that guy to come in and be our sharp-shooter. I don't understand it, I saw this guy go off for 37pts last year against Portland, and he's played very well in other games.... I know this guy is more than capable of being that kind of scorer. I was hopeful he would put it all together coming into this year, but he just can't seem to get it...

So far, between the injuries (he always seems to be turning an ankle), and his limited minutes, he's hardly had a chance to get it going. And I used to think the way Woodson always yanked him if he missed his first couple shots was unfair, but I understand it sometimes... he's just not been contributing. I still think he needs more minutes though... a shooter needs time to get into a rhythm, and if Salim can find it, his contributions would be very valuable to this team. He's one of the few guys we have who can shoot the 3. JJ's been off more than he's on... AJ can knock one down occassionally, and TLue can be streaky himself at times... we need Salim to find his groove! Woodson, give the guy some burn!!
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#5 » by D21 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:42 pm

Rip, I also like FTs attempts (it also means foul trouble on opponents), but I seriously doubt on the capacity of a team being last in 3pts category... this team is obviously missing some basket-ball weapons.

Jjforprez wrote:...I still think he needs more minutes though... a shooter needs time to get into a rhythm...

I was thinking the same the last games I saw Salim played. The thing we don't know is what Woody is telling him. If he puts pressure on him wanting two or three 3s in the next minutes, it's not good. And Salim plays like it was this thing. I don't say it's Woody's fault, just it seems like Salim is thinking "OK I am on court so I have to shoot fast, or I will return to bench". But he can't (or exceptionally). He needs to get the game rhythm before, then start shooting. Don't know who is wrong from Woody and Salim, but sure, I would let Salim play more in the first half.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#6 » by evildallas » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:49 pm

Well this was obvious by watching the team play several games.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!

Return to Atlanta Hawks