ImageImageImage

Halfway Marks - A Basic Stats Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Re: Halfway Marks - A Basic Stats Thread 

Post#21 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:52 pm

Hal14 wrote:The only stat that worries me is our 3Pr. I posted about this earlier in the season, but if we go back to the 14-15 season and look at the teams that have won championships, the highest 3Pr in the reg season by a team that won the title was .456 and that was the 2022 Warriors.

If we look at teams that did not have Steph/Klay (because the Celtics do not have arguably the 2 greatest shooters to ever pick up a basketball to we probably shouldn't shoot as many 3's as them), it's the 2021 Bucks at .404.

If we look at playoffs 3Pr, the highest 3Pr for a team that won a recent title was .433 (2022 warriors) and if we remove the Splash brothers warriors teams it's .407 (2020 lakers but they had flukey 3 pt shooting in the bubble), the 2019 raptors were at .407..and the 2017 Cavs (didn't win title but made finals) at .408.

This tells me, that ideally we don't really want to be higher than a .410 3Pr. We definitely don't want to be higher .456 (the highest number in this post).

In the last 8 NBA finals the team that shot better from the three lost the series. I guess that means we don't want to shoot well from the three? Of course not.
In the last 10 playoffs, no team that led the field in FTr won the championship. I guess that means drawing fouls is bad? Of course not.
In the last 10 playoffs, only once did a team that led the playoff field in limiting turnovers end up winning it all, the 2023 Nuggets. That sounds like we need to start turning the ball over more.
If you start looking at tiny samples and further fragment that by filtering for a singular achievement you'll end up with some pretty absurd results.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,383

Post#22 » by Hal14 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:35 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:The only stat that worries me is our 3Pr. I posted about this earlier in the season, but if we go back to the 14-15 season and look at the teams that have won championships, the highest 3Pr in the reg season by a team that won the title was .456 and that was the 2022 Warriors.

If we look at teams that did not have Steph/Klay (because the Celtics do not have arguably the 2 greatest shooters to ever pick up a basketball to we probably shouldn't shoot as many 3's as them), it's the 2021 Bucks at .404.

If we look at playoffs 3Pr, the highest 3Pr for a team that won a recent title was .433 (2022 warriors) and if we remove the Splash brothers warriors teams it's .407 (2020 lakers but they had flukey 3 pt shooting in the bubble), the 2019 raptors were at .407..and the 2017 Cavs (didn't win title but made finals) at .408.

This tells me, that ideally we don't really want to be higher than a .410 3Pr. We definitely don't want to be higher .456 (the highest number in this post).

In the last 8 NBA finals the team that shot better from the three lost the series. I guess that means we don't want to shoot well from the three? Of course not.
In the last 10 playoffs, no team that led the field in FTr won the championship. I guess that means drawing fouls is bad? Of course not.
In the last 10 playoffs, only once did a team that led the playoff field in limiting turnovers end up winning it all, the 2023 Nuggets. That sounds like we need to start turning the ball over more.
If you start looking at tiny samples and further fragment that by filtering for a singular achievement you'll end up with some pretty absurd results.

Obviously shooting a high 3 FG% is good. Obviously drawing fouls is good. Obviously turning the ball over is bad.

What's not obvious, is whether having an insanely high 3Pr of .481 is a recipe for winning a title. To my knowledge, no team in NBA history has won a title (or even made the NBA finals) by relying so heavily on the 3 ball.

As the saying goes, "live by the 3, die by the 3". The reason why that saying exists and why it has continued to be used for like the past 20 years is because generally, teams who rely too much on the 3 ball are can lose to pretty much anybody if the shots aren't falling - it's a feast or famine approach.

Last year in the ECF...
Heat: 34.5% of their FGA were 3's
Celtics: 45.9% of their FGA were 3's

Heat: 43.4% from 3
Celtics: 30.3% from 3

We lost that series in 7 games. So we came very close to winning. If we had just won *one* of those 4 games Miami won, we win the series. Considering how poorly we shot the 3 ball that series, it's pretty crazy that such an insanely high % of our FGA were 3's. Like, maybe switch it up. Run some PnR. Have some guys cutting to the basket. Have a guy flashing to the FT line. Try to pick up the pace of the game, force some turnovers to get some easy baskets in transition. Run some post ups.

Yes, I know that Miami was running zone, which encourages the other team to shoot 3's. But we didn't have to give in to what Miami wanted us to do.

And we're shooting even more 3's this season than we did last year.

It's just a concern of mine, that's all.

It's ok if you disagree.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,199

Post#23 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:39 am

Tatumfor2 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
KillahGhostface wrote:
I couldn’t be less concerned about our three rate if I tried. Tatum one of the most aggressively defended guys in the league, which leads to a ton of wide open threes, whether directly or indirectly. This Celtics roster one of the most uniquely built teams the league has ever seen, which is part of the reason that teams just don’t know how to defend them. So I don’t think past comparisons are all that useful, especially considering our two centers take a ton of threes.

Plus like you said, the team drives more in the playoffs, especially Tatum. They are a very diverse offense, even if it doesn’t show up in the volume.

While I don't fully agree, I respect your opinion.

Spoiler:
What have you done with Hal??

Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,828

Post#24 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:53 am

Hal14 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:

Obviously shooting a high 3 FG% is good. Obviously drawing fouls is good. Obviously turning the ball over is bad.

What's not obvious, is whether having an insanely high 3Pr of .481 is a recipe for winning a title. To my knowledge, no team in NBA history has won a title (or even made the NBA finals) by relying so heavily on the 3 ball.

As the saying goes, "live by the 3, die by the 3". The reason why that saying exists and why it has continued to be used for like the past 20 years is because generally, teams who rely too much on the 3 ball are can lose to pretty much anybody if the shots aren't falling - it's a feast or famine approach.

Last year in the ECF...
Heat: 34.5% of their FGA were 3's
Celtics: 45.9% of their FGA were 3's

Heat: 43.4% from 3
Celtics: 30.3% from 3

We lost that series in 7 games. So we came very close to winning. If we had just won *one* of those 4 games Miami won, we win the series. Considering how poorly we shot the 3 ball that series, it's pretty crazy that such an insanely high % of our FGA were 3's. Like, maybe switch it up. Run some PnR. Have some guys cutting to the basket. Have a guy flashing to the FT line. Try to pick up the pace of the game, force some turnovers to get some easy baskets in transition. Run some post ups.

Yes, I know that Miami was running zone, which encourages the other team to shoot 3's. But we didn't have to give in to what Miami wanted us to do.

And we're shooting even more 3's this season than we did last year.

It's just a concern of mine, that's all.

It's ok if you disagree.

The 3 games (G1 to G3) where we shot the ball least (in terms of three-point attempt rate) vs. Miami were all Ls. Maybe we should've taken MORE threes in those games, especially the first two since those were decided by just two possessions each. 3PAr in those 3 games (.358, .429, .443) were all less than what we've been taking in the regular season (.480). Can't even read into G7 since it was an almost auto-loss once Tatum twisted his ankle in the 1Q.

We could've also taken care of the ball more OR not missed as many free throws OR won the offensive rebounding battle OR defended a couple more clutch possessions better, etc.

I don't think we can peg playoff success on one single stat either way (this coming from me who stresses shooting efficiency from our players). That's why you will hear Mazzulla all the time talking about the importance of winning the margins and the four factors.

Simple way of saying that there's not one way to win an NBA game, whether in the regular season or postseason.

BTW, we're also taking less threes this season (.471) than last (.480), though not significantly so, while the league average went up (.387 to .394).
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,405

Post#25 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:10 pm

Yet the Celtics right now are no. 1 in the league with a .471 3Pr. We're playing with fire by having such a high 3Pr. It's just not a recipe that has proven to win titles - or even to make it to the NBA finals. Celtics made NBA finals in 2022 with a 3Pr of .425 in reg season and .448 in playoffs. But then last season we came up short of the NBA finals with a 3Pr of .480 in reg season and .452 in playoffs.

It's already been discussed on here quite a bit. But when you rely so heavily on the 3, you leave your chances of winning up to shooting luck/shooting variance. You could have a big advantage in talent, but if you take a million 3's, then it pretty much negates that talent advantage and makes the outcome of the game a tossup - if your shots fall, you win. If your shots don't fall, you lose (that's why middle school/high school/college teams, even sometimes in the NBA like Miami who are facing a team with more talent than them will often play zone defense). And deep into the playoffs when teams play *really* hard, the pressure is on, the games are closer, defenses tighten up and the difference between winning/losing is so small (just a bounce here, a shot there, a play here and that's it), you want to have your players, your talent be able to win you the game/series and not just leave it up to shooting luck or have it be a tossup, after working so hard all season.

There's tons of content online (clips on Twitter, YouTube vids, articles, etc.) where opposing teams/players say that the game plan against Boston is to clog the lane and dare us to shoot 3's. This strategy (and our over-reliance on 3's) is a big reason why we lost to Miami in the 2023 ECF, it's a reason why we lost to GS in 2022 NBA finals, it's a reason why the Hawks and Sixers series' in 2023 went more games than they should have and it's a big reason why we were such an inconsistent team during the 22-23 reg season - went 36-20 (.642 winning %) after we started the season off 21-5 (.807 winning %) mostly due to unsustainably hot shooting from 3. We had three different 3 game losing streaks during the 22-23 reg season after that hot shooting start to the season. Why? I'm willing to bet that in those 9 games (including back to back losses to an Orlando team that missed the play-in) we had cold shooting from 3 but took lots of 3's..just like we lost 3 games in a row to Miami in the ECF where we had cold shooting from 3 but took lots of 3's.

I like our chances to win it all. But if we come up short, I'm pretty sure it's going to be because of either injuries to our key players (nothing you can really do about that, it's pretty much out of your control..just try to add another decent bench player to help with depth) and/or the over-reliance on 3's.

Even if I disagree with your take that the Celtics take too many threes, I understand where you are coming from. What I don't understand is how you are trying to twist the math to get it to support your opinion. You just can't say that there has never been a team shooting this many threes that won the NBA championship therefore the Celtics are shooting too many threes to win the NBA championship while failing to mention that there has basically never been any team that shot as many threes as the Celtics ever (*). So any historical comparison is basically moot at this point.

The three point attempt rate has risen so fast over the last 15 years that trying to do an historical comparison of that stat amongst NBA champions doesn't make any sense. You either include teams from a complete different era of NBA offenses or restrict yourself to such a small sample size that it's basically meaningless.

What we do know is that the efficiency of NBA offenses has risen dramatically over that time just as the three point attempt rate did too. The correlation is clear. While that doesn't imply causation, it makes sense conceptually that trading less efficient shots for threes and forcing defense to guard farther out and open up driving lanes in the process would result in a better offense overall. In fact, the rise of both offensive rating and three point attempt rate league wide has yet to plateau.

In that context, it's possible that we have not yet to reach the point where NBA teams take too many threes and the Celtics shooting more threes than any one else ever might just mean they are ahead of the curve and that the rest of the league is playing catch up
(Boston being top three finishes in offensive rating in back to back years provides some anecdotal evidence that this is the case).

Maybe Mazzulla through genius coaching or random luck has stumbled into the optimal mix of three point attempts. Maybe other NBA teams are actually at the perfect amount of three point attempts and the Celtics have gone too far in jacking up threes resulting in less shots at the rim and a suboptimal offense overall. The point is that because we have virtually no prior for what the Celtics are trying on offense, we can't use historical comps to determine how likely to suceed their strategy is going to be.

As for the "what happens when the threes don't fall" argument, I've never found it especially compelling. I'll tell you what happens in that case: the exact same thing that would happen if the Celtics build an offense around shooting skyhooks and the skyhooks don't fall. The exact same thing that would happen if the Celtics build an offense around shooting mid range pull ups and the mid range pull ups don't fall, etc. They lose.

If you want to win the NBA championship, you have to create good looks and you have to knock them down. Just because the Celtics had a series where they didn't do the latter doesn't necessarily mean that their offense is somewhat flawed and didn't deliver or more importantly won't deliver the former in the future.

(*) There might be a couple D'Antoni/Harden Rockets' team that meet that criteria. Even so, considering that it's the only team that offered any kind of resistance to the KD/Curry Warriors and would probably have gone all the way if they had merely faced a regular championship caliber team instead of the greatest team of the 21st century, I'm not sure it's supports your argument that a 48% 3PAr is an hindrance to post season success. I know, I know people are going to bring up the 27 misses in the row but people also conveniently forget that the Rockets had no business going 7 games against that team in the first place and the only reason they were in that position to begin with is because they tilted the math in their favor.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,157

Post#26 » by keevsnick1 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:02 pm

The 3 point shooting rate stuff doesn't mean much, imo. Only one team wins the championship every year, and only since about the mid twenty 10's have three pointers exploded in popularity. So when talking about "past champions" you are discussing a sample size that's tiny. And even among that tiny sample size there are teams that were pretty high on the list of 3 point rate in the season they won it.

The fact that the Celtics would have the highest 3 point rate of any past champion just doesn't mean much when you consider that overall league 3 point rate has skyrocketed in recent years. There's just not statistically any power in these numbers.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#27 » by Hal14 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:21 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

Yet the Celtics right now are no. 1 in the league with a .471 3Pr. We're playing with fire by having such a high 3Pr. It's just not a recipe that has proven to win titles - or even to make it to the NBA finals. Celtics made NBA finals in 2022 with a 3Pr of .425 in reg season and .448 in playoffs. But then last season we came up short of the NBA finals with a 3Pr of .480 in reg season and .452 in playoffs.

It's already been discussed on here quite a bit. But when you rely so heavily on the 3, you leave your chances of winning up to shooting luck/shooting variance. You could have a big advantage in talent, but if you take a million 3's, then it pretty much negates that talent advantage and makes the outcome of the game a tossup - if your shots fall, you win. If your shots don't fall, you lose (that's why middle school/high school/college teams, even sometimes in the NBA like Miami who are facing a team with more talent than them will often play zone defense). And deep into the playoffs when teams play *really* hard, the pressure is on, the games are closer, defenses tighten up and the difference between winning/losing is so small (just a bounce here, a shot there, a play here and that's it), you want to have your players, your talent be able to win you the game/series and not just leave it up to shooting luck or have it be a tossup, after working so hard all season.

There's tons of content online (clips on Twitter, YouTube vids, articles, etc.) where opposing teams/players say that the game plan against Boston is to clog the lane and dare us to shoot 3's. This strategy (and our over-reliance on 3's) is a big reason why we lost to Miami in the 2023 ECF, it's a reason why we lost to GS in 2022 NBA finals, it's a reason why the Hawks and Sixers series' in 2023 went more games than they should have and it's a big reason why we were such an inconsistent team during the 22-23 reg season - went 36-20 (.642 winning %) after we started the season off 21-5 (.807 winning %) mostly due to unsustainably hot shooting from 3. We had three different 3 game losing streaks during the 22-23 reg season after that hot shooting start to the season. Why? I'm willing to bet that in those 9 games (including back to back losses to an Orlando team that missed the play-in) we had cold shooting from 3 but took lots of 3's..just like we lost 3 games in a row to Miami in the ECF where we had cold shooting from 3 but took lots of 3's.

I like our chances to win it all. But if we come up short, I'm pretty sure it's going to be because of either injuries to our key players (nothing you can really do about that, it's pretty much out of your control..just try to add another decent bench player to help with depth) and/or the over-reliance on 3's.

Even if I disagree with your take that the Celtics take too many threes, I understand where you are coming from.

As for the "what happens when the threes don't fall" argument, I've never found it especially compelling. I'll tell you what happens in that case: the exact same thing that would happen if the Celtics build an offense around shooting skyhooks and the skyhooks don't fall. The exact same thing that would happen if the Celtics build an offense around shooting mid range pull ups and the mid range pull ups don't fall, etc. They lose.

Simple solution: don't take all 3's. Don't take all skyhooks. Don't take all mid range pull-ups.

Mix it up. Diversify. Don't have 48% of your FGA be 3's. Especially when 3's are such a feast or famine shot type. If you've got hot shooting you win, if you have cold shooting you lose..so basically it's a toss up, a 50/50 shot of winning. Whether you move on to the next series just comes down to shooting luck..

Why not mix it up more. Post up, have guys cut to the basket. Drive to the basket, try to draw some fouls, get to the line. Try to push the ball in transition more to get easy baskets, before the opposing defense gets set..rather tan relying too much on 3's.

I mean, if a pitcher only threw curveballs (or only fastballs or only changeups) they wouldn't do very good. If a football team only ran the ball (or only passed it) they wouldn't do very good either.

Having said that, I respect your opinion and hope you're right..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#28 » by BK_2020 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:26 pm

Yeah you miss threes then you score less points so you lose. The solution is to not shoot threes. It's so simple why didn't anyone think of it. This idea works because even if you miss free throws or two pointers you still score the same amount of points.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#29 » by Hal14 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:13 am

BK_2020 wrote:Yeah you miss threes then you score less points so you lose. The solution is to not shoot threes. It's so simple why didn't anyone think of it.

No need to get snarky. I never said to not ever shoot any 3's. Just don't want us relying on them too much, to the point where we lose games (or worse, we lose a playoff series) as a result.

I said my opinion. You said yours. I'll leave it at that.

Let's get this win over Denver! :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#30 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:07 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Here are some other standout stats from 1st half of the season:

Spoiler:
â–  Celtics are making 16.2 three-pointers per game at 38.1%. Only two teams in NBA history have recorded 16+ 3PMs per game at 38%+ 3FG% for a full season -- 2021 Jazz and 2023 Warriors.

â–  Celtics have a 10.0 point differential per game. Only 12 previous teams have maintained that for a full season. 8 of the 12 won the title.

â–  Celtics have an SRS (margin of victory + strength of schedule) of 10.42. Only 5 previous teams have exceeded that mark. 4 of the 5 won the title.

â–  In the 20 home games, the Celtics have a 15.65 point differential per game. Only 5 previous teams had higher. 4 of the 5 won the title.

â–  The Celtics bench have a net rating of 4.0. Only 14 teams since 1996-97 had a better bench net rating, meaning the Cs current bench are on pace to be in the top 2% bench groups in the last 28 seasons. Only 5 of the previous 14 teams won the title.
Spoiler:
â–  Seven Celtics players (min 20 mpg) are shooting 37% or better from beyond the arc, most in the league.

â–  Tatum is one of only five players (and only American) averaging 25+ ppg, 8+ rpg, and 4+ apg. Doncic, Embiid, Jokic, and Giannis are the other four.

â–  By making 6 threes in the last game, Holiday became just the 10th player in NBA history to record 6,000+ career assists and 1,400+ career threes. The other nine -- Nash, Lowry, Kidd, LeBron, Kobe, Harden, CP3, Conley, Hardaway.

â–  Only two players are averaging 15+ ppg on 50%+ 2FG%, 40%+ 3FG%, and 90%+ FT% splits -- Paul George and Derrick White.

â–  Porzingis is 2nd in the NBA in Post-Up efficiency at 1.44 points per possession, good for 94.2 percentile.

â–  Jaylen is 1st in the league in Transition possessions at 6.4 per game, scoring 1.22 points per possession, good for 66.3 percentile.

The Celtics bench now have a net rating of 4.3. Only 10 teams since 1996-97 had a better mark.

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#31 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:13 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Here are some other standout stats from 1st half of the season:

Spoiler:
â–  Celtics are making 16.2 three-pointers per game at 38.1%. Only two teams in NBA history have recorded 16+ 3PMs per game at 38%+ 3FG% for a full season -- 2021 Jazz and 2023 Warriors.

â–  Celtics have a 10.0 point differential per game. Only 12 previous teams have maintained that for a full season. 8 of the 12 won the title.

â–  Celtics have an SRS (margin of victory + strength of schedule) of 10.42. Only 5 previous teams have exceeded that mark. 4 of the 5 won the title.

â–  In the 20 home games, the Celtics have a 15.65 point differential per game. Only 5 previous teams had higher. 4 of the 5 won the title.

â–  The Celtics bench have a net rating of 4.0. Only 14 teams since 1996-97 had a better bench net rating, meaning the Cs current bench are on pace to be in the top 2% bench groups in the last 28 seasons. Only 5 of the previous 14 teams won the title.
Spoiler:
â–  Seven Celtics players (min 20 mpg) are shooting 37% or better from beyond the arc, most in the league.

â–  Tatum is one of only five players (and only American) averaging 25+ ppg, 8+ rpg, and 4+ apg. Doncic, Embiid, Jokic, and Giannis are the other four.

â–  By making 6 threes in the last game, Holiday became just the 10th player in NBA history to record 6,000+ career assists and 1,400+ career threes. The other nine -- Nash, Lowry, Kidd, LeBron, Kobe, Harden, CP3, Conley, Hardaway.

â–  Only two players are averaging 15+ ppg on 50%+ 2FG%, 40%+ 3FG%, and 90%+ FT% splits -- Paul George and Derrick White.

â–  Porzingis is 2nd in the NBA in Post-Up efficiency at 1.44 points per possession, good for 94.2 percentile.

â–  Jaylen is 1st in the league in Transition possessions at 6.4 per game, scoring 1.22 points per possession, good for 66.3 percentile.

The Celtics bench now have a net rating of 4.3. Only 10 teams since 1996-97 had a better mark.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The net rating of Celtics bench groups are now at +5.0. Only THREE teams have exceeded that mark since 1996-97. It's not only the strongest REGULAR SEASON bench this franchise has had in over two decades, it's one of the best across the league in that span.

*If I understand correctly, they consider a bench unit as having two or less starters in the lineup. So Tatum + White/PP/Hauser/Kornet is a bench unit.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,199

Post#32 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:02 am

Hal14 wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

Even if I disagree with your take that the Celtics take too many threes, I understand where you are coming from.

Simple solution: don't take all 3's. Don't take all skyhooks. Don't take all mid range pull-ups.

Mix it up. Diversify. Don't have 48% of your FGA be 3's. Especially when 3's are such a feast or famine shot type. If you've got hot shooting you win, if you have cold shooting you lose..so basically it's a toss up, a 50/50 shot of winning. Whether you move on to the next series just comes down to shooting luck..

Why not mix it up more. Post up, have guys cut to the basket. Drive to the basket, try to draw some fouls, get to the line. Try to push the ball in transition more to get easy baskets, before the opposing defense gets set..rather tan relying too much on 3's.

I mean, if a pitcher only threw curveballs (or only fastballs or only changeups) they wouldn't do very good. If a football team only ran the ball (or only passed it) they wouldn't do very good either.

Having said that, I respect your opinion and hope you're right..

You seem to be mixing ideas there. Some make more sense than others.

1. Of course one should be unpredictable from one play to the next. A defense that knows exactly what you'll try to do can overload to defend against that.

2. Implying there's a binary set of outcomes, each 50% likely, of "good shooting" and "bad shooting", is ... not closely aligned with reality.

3. The Cs were vastly more efficient from 2 than from 3 tonight. Other nights the opposite happens.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#33 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:14 am

FWIW, Celtics are 20-3 when taking at least half of their shots from 3. 19-9 otherwise.

Is it right to say that we are reliant on threes AND we've been successful with that strategy? At least in the regular season.

For perspective, the league average three-point attempt rate (% of FGAs taken from 3) is .392. The Celtics have just FOUR games that don't reach/exceed that mark. We are 1-3 in those.

Return to Boston Celtics