ImageImageImage

we need another guard

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#21 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:42 am

Marcus Banks is so bad. 2 blocked shots, though. Nice. His block on Steven Hunter will always be remembered.

What an awesome game 137-115. God how I hope these two teams match up in the playoffs.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#22 » by BillessuR6 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:36 am

GuyClinch wrote:Let's get Banks to back up Rondo...

http://www.nba.com/games/20080107/DENPHX/boxscore.html

23 points tonight - and he can be had for Scabs probably. Come on Scabs isn't doing anything for us.

Pete

Where were you after the other 30 games when he didn`t even make it off the bench? How come you didn`t make a similiar post when West had one great game against us?
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#23 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:25 pm

Lighten up dude - I am not serious about Banks.. <g>

But to answer your question West would cost more then Scabs as he was part of a big trade. A guy like Banks could be had for nothing - except the owners salary. If anything Banks has negative value. We could probably get Banks and two 2nds for Scabs.

A better fit then Banks would be a good ball handler off the wavier wire or someone who is in retirement as I doubt this team wants Banks salary (hence the negative value).

West OTOH doesn't fill any needs on this team. He is a very poor ball handler and can't bring the ball up against pressure. Ricky Davis had to do that when he was with us. He is also a combo guard who plays his best ball at the SG spot much like TA and House. We have absolutely no use for West.

The need here we would be filling is "guy who can bring the ball up against Linsday Hunter besides Rondo." So Tyrone Lue works - West doesn't. CJ Watson might work - West doesn't. Earl Watson might work - West doesnt. I think you get it now.

If that wasn't enough I flat out don't like West. That's why I wouldn't advocate bringing him in. I think you should know that...by now.

Pete
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,422

Post#24 » by tlee324 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:43 pm

If it came down to West or Banks, it's obvious we'd be better off with West.

Although neither would be a better option now that we have House. He's all the combo guard we need.

A "pure" point guard is more of a necessity at this juncture.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#25 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:29 pm

The C's don't need another "pure" PG - just a better ball handler the either House or Tony when Rondo is out. It's not that high a need though -we are 29-3.

You have to be a stone cold hater to think West can handle the ball as well as Banks - sorry. West doesn't even dribble as well as House.

Pete
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#26 » by BillessuR6 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:35 pm

We all know you hate West and love Banks Pete.

But looking at the two players objectively (quality, character, contract...) you have to admit probably all GM˙s in this league would chose Delonte over Banks.

And I don`t think an unexperienced player like CJ Watson would be better than West. Sure Delonte isnt a very good ballhandler but in the playoffs against Hunter you need experience that is why we need to bring in a veteran...
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#27 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:38 pm

But looking at the two players objectively (quality, character, contract...) you have to admit probably all GM˙s in this league would chose Delonte over Banks.

Well ignoring contract it would be pretty close - both of them are marginal NBA players right now.

I mean 8 points in 21 minutes - on a godawful team or 6 points in 12 minutes on a good team. Banks had better numbers and more PT with Minnesota and got a fat contract.

It's a tricky thing with this league - guys who get burn are considered good and then get good contracts. But are they really better then that guy sitting on the bench?

Pruitt might be worth nothing right now. But how do we know that say given 22 minutes a game he couldn't out do Delonte West. We really don't. And this makes evaluating players hard up and down the league..

As for the character bit - that's just speculation. Banks has been pretty classy about his lack of PT - but then again he is getting paid so he should be.

Like I said before it's kind of a cod or liver argument.

Pete
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by tlee324 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:55 pm

GuyClinch wrote:The C's don't need another "pure" PG - just a better ball handler the either House or Tony when Rondo is out. It's not that high a need though -we are 29-3.

You have to be a stone cold hater to think West can handle the ball as well as Banks - sorry. West doesn't even dribble as well as House.

Pete

You can call me whatever you'd like, honestly. There's no way I'd take Banks over West in any situation.

And yes, we'll need a pure PG. Don't be fooled by the record.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#29 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:17 pm

You can call me whatever you'd like, honestly. There's no way I'd take Banks over West in any situation.

Yeah we know - that's why your were in love with 24 win team. Danny ditched those losers - it's time to get over it. I suppose you would take Wally over Tony Allen as well. <g>

Pete
7seventynine9
Junior
And1: 0

Post#30 » by 7seventynine9 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:29 pm

Why not Luke Ridnour?
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#31 » by greenbeans » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:29 am

7seventynine9 wrote:Why not Luke Ridnour?

its the 1st year of a deal and hes making 6.5mil. . .
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by tlee324 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:52 am

GuyClinch wrote:

Yeah we know - that's why your were in love with 24 win team. Danny ditched those losers - it's time to get over it. I suppose you would take Wally over Tony Allen as well. <g>

Pete

This is a silly statement, even if the grammar was correct. You sub in Boyfriend Banks for West and the team probably loses more games. If you take away the best players from this year's team, they'd lose too. You toss the 24 wins like it has something to do with Banks and West.... It wasn't a complete team. Any injury-ridden team will lose, period.

And as far as Wally and Allen, they're both injured all the time. When both are healthy, yeah I'd take Wally if the team needed scoring and shooting... I'd take Tony if we needed a role playing defender. So what? You have this notion that Tony can carry a team like he's Pierce or something.

<g>
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,626

Post#33 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:18 am

We'll give you Marbury for a song. (Frustrated Knick fan here. Yes, we suck. I know.)

You guys are having a great year. If you do get a solid back-up point guard, and maybe some front court help, you guys will put yourselves in a solid position to take it all.

I went to lived in Boston from '76 through '81 and loved watching the Larry Bird years. Just great basketball to watch. Great passing. And Bird, in his prime before he hurt his back, was maybe the best basketball player I've ever seen. What a great passer.

I can't watch the Knicks anymore. It's way too painful. And that look on Isiah's face all the time is so annoying. I need to get my money's worth for the NBA League Pass I ordered just to watch the Knicks, so I'm thinking of just watching Celts games for the rest of the year.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#34 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:35 am

Wingy22 wrote:I can't watch the Knicks anymore. It's way too painful. And that look on Isiah's face all the time is so annoying. I need to get my money's worth for the NBA League Pass I ordered just to watch the Knicks, so I'm thinking of just watching Celts games for the rest of the year.

Join the dark side. Everything is greener here, figuratively and literally.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 14

Post#35 » by rambo_ortega » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:44 am

delonte west over banks.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#36 » by cisco » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:23 pm

rambo_ortega wrote:delonte west over banks.

If all you want is a good ballhandler, Banks over West for sure. West is a lousy ballhandler, Banks is an exceptional ballhandler. Now if you want someone with good ballhandling AND decisionmaking (which is what the Celtics need), I'd stay far away from both!

Return to Boston Celtics