ImageImageImage

Brad Stevens Thread – Finding The Way

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,084

Re: Brad Stevens Finding The Way 

Post#101 » by jfs1000d » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:54 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Slax wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
I said as much, but just wondering how much of this actually matters.

It matters quite a bit. The comparison to the Knicks was designed to suggest that the Celtics belong to some category of teams whose regular season success is somewhat meaningless or illusory because it is purely a result of health and effort and therefore they are likely to fail in the playoffs the same way the Knicks did. But pretty obviously we should not be thinking of a team that beats other teams by 7 points a game as just being a slightly better version of a team that beats other teams by 2 points a game. The Celtics showing themselves to be an actually good team in the regular season - as born out by the amount the score against other teams and the amount other teams score against them - should significantly influence our estimation of how likely they are to win games in the playoffs. That's true even if the regular season success was partly a function of health and effort.

Well, things are going their way since I posted that, but I still don't know. One bucket from having gone down 0-1 in this series, and I think it was more than partly health and effort. Other teams in the same win range as us had far lesser health and in many cases added major players towards the end of the season on top of getting healthier. I think it is fair to ask if this team lacks a certain gear.

Cave, we gotta look at our team honestly. You gotta believe your eyes.

The defensive ability, with Rob Williams, is 1996 Bulls stuff. It's even better than the 2010 Celtics, who turned it on in the playoffs.

I just look at Boston, see 51 wins, and see how their team fits together and think they underperformed regular season. They are a 60-win team healthy. Look at their record in game less than 5 points. They should be .500 in those games. which means about 8 more wins to the ledger.

Their metrics for the year are closer to a 58-60-win team than a 51-win team.

Team has changed. Tatum grew into the superstar MVP role. is probably 5th best player in the NBA right now and is outplaying the best player this series.

1. Durant
2. Giannis
3. Embiid
4. Jokic
5. Tatum
6. Curry
7. Lebron?
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,115

Post#102 » by sam_I_am » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:02 pm

Durant is not #1 anymore, not even close. Still dangerous as hell but he is not the guy we saw win Gold.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,213

Post#103 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:01 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Thinking from a GM standpoint, Nic Claxton would fit our defensive schemes really, really well. I would explore adding him in the offseason...

1) Buy Horford out and re-sign him for an amount equal to tax payer MLE ($6.4M) using bird rights... saves $5.6M
2) Salary dump Nesmith somewhere for a second rounder or even just a TPE if no one wants him... saves $3.8M
3) Trade Daniel Theis to POR into one of their TPEs attaching seconds... saves $8.7M

If you do all that, you free up enough money to use a full MLE I think. Claxton would be sooooooo perfect as a backup 5 here in our switch everything scheme. Love that fit. Wonder if that would pry him away from BRK.

Problems with that start:

-- You're assuming Horford would sign for much less than he's worth.
-- You're assuming the Celtics won't make the NBA Finals.
-- Buyout isn't the correct description. And if it were, the Cs wouldn't have Bird Rights.
-- What actually would happen, I think, is that Horford would be waived. If I'm correct, the Cs wouldn't have Bird Rights.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,397

Post#104 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:13 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:Thinking from a GM standpoint, Nic Claxton would fit our defensive schemes really, really well. I would explore adding him in the offseason...

1) Buy Horford out and re-sign him for an amount equal to tax payer MLE ($6.4M) using bird rights... saves $5.6M
2) Salary dump Nesmith somewhere for a second rounder or even just a TPE if no one wants him... saves $3.8M
3) Trade Daniel Theis to POR into one of their TPEs attaching seconds... saves $8.7M

If you do all that, you free up enough money to use a full MLE I think. Claxton would be sooooooo perfect as a backup 5 here in our switch everything scheme. Love that fit. Wonder if that would pry him away from BRK.

Problems with that start:

-- You're assuming Horford would sign for much less than he's worth.
-- You're assuming the Celtics won't make the NBA Finals.
-- Buyout isn't the correct description. And if it were, the Cs wouldn't have Bird Rights.
-- What actually would happen, I think, is that Horford would be waived. If I'm correct, the Cs wouldn't have Bird Rights.

What do you think Horford would get in free agency? I think he's a better player than mini-MLE, but I think only ORL/SA have cap space and would figure to chase younger guys. And even with other teams that have full MLE they usually chase younger guys at that FA level.

Other than that, all makes sense. I misunderstood the rules around waiving him. And obviously keeping Horford would be priority.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,489

Post#105 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:24 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Cs about $1.826M clear of the tax line, per spotrac.

Even after dumping Schroder, I believe that it subsequently took Jaylen not making the ASG to keep us out of the tax.

We would have adjusted. We are going to head into the tax eventually. This saves one year of the tax. If you are going to go into the tax, go in for the right player and the right reason.

I agree. My point was that we weren't in the tax after the Horford trade, and then we signed Schroder to put ourselves into the tax before trading him to get back out of it. There have been a few posts in this thread that presented that differently than I remembered it.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#106 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:26 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Slax wrote:
It matters quite a bit. The comparison to the Knicks was designed to suggest that the Celtics belong to some category of teams whose regular season success is somewhat meaningless or illusory because it is purely a result of health and effort and therefore they are likely to fail in the playoffs the same way the Knicks did. But pretty obviously we should not be thinking of a team that beats other teams by 7 points a game as just being a slightly better version of a team that beats other teams by 2 points a game. The Celtics showing themselves to be an actually good team in the regular season - as born out by the amount the score against other teams and the amount other teams score against them - should significantly influence our estimation of how likely they are to win games in the playoffs. That's true even if the regular season success was partly a function of health and effort.

Well, things are going their way since I posted that, but I still don't know. One bucket from having gone down 0-1 in this series, and I think it was more than partly health and effort. Other teams in the same win range as us had far lesser health and in many cases added major players towards the end of the season on top of getting healthier. I think it is fair to ask if this team lacks a certain gear.

Cave, we gotta look at our team honestly. You gotta believe your eyes.

The defensive ability, with Rob Williams, is 1996 Bulls stuff. It's even better than the 2010 Celtics, who turned it on in the playoffs.

I just look at Boston, see 51 wins, and see how their team fits together and think they underperformed regular season. They are a 60-win team healthy. Look at their record in game less than 5 points. They should be .500 in those games. which means about 8 more wins to the ledger.

Their metrics for the year are closer to a 58-60-win team than a 51-win team.

Team has changed. Tatum grew into the superstar MVP role. is probably 5th best player in the NBA right now and is outplaying the best player this series.

1. Durant
2. Giannis
3. Embiid
4. Jokic
5. Tatum
6. Curry
7. Lebron?

I'd put Luka and maybe Morant ahead of Tatum as well.

Despite how strong we closed the year, I can't buy the "better than our record" thing for a few reasons. Even with the early season injuries, we were one of the healthiest teams this year. With an average amount of injuries, we win 45 games tops. We've seen this team with injuries, and they are not a team like the Suns or Grizz who can play through them and win anyways, or to a lesser extent, the Heat and Bucks.

With the same amount of health as we had this year, the Suns probably win 70, the Warriors 65, and the Grizz and Heat 60. The Sixers added James Harden. I think those are teams that can make that case, not us. Bucks, Nets, and Raps have solid cases as well.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#107 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:27 am

sam_I_am wrote:Durant is not #1 anymore, not even close. Still dangerous as hell but he is not the guy we saw win Gold.

MVP race is it's own thing, but Giannis and Durant have been the two best guys for a minute now, with Giannis at the top the last 2-3 years IMO.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#108 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:17 am

Slax wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Slax wrote:

Well, things are going their way since I posted that, but I still don't know.

Fwiw I would have had the same response before the series started, I just didn't see the post before then. Everything in my response has nothing to do with how this Nets series has gone so far.

One bucket from having gone down 0-1 in this series, and I think it was more than partly health and effort. Other teams in the same win range as us had far lesser health and in many cases added major players towards the end of the season on top of getting healthier. I think it is fair to ask if this team lacks a certain gear.

Kyrie hits a bunch of crazy contested shots in the literal game of a lifetime - almost nobody ever has a performance like that. In spite of that, the Nets lose the game by one point. To me, that shows an impressive level of defensive dominance, which they sustained through game 2. To you, that shows that the team isn't really that good and they just got lucky they hit a buzzer-beating game winner after putting up more effort than their opponent (who I guess wasn't trying in the playoffs?).

Likewise, in the regular season, the Celtics beating teams by 7 points per 100 over the course of the full season (and by much more in the second half of the season!) to me shows that they were a relatively dominant regular season team that deserves respect in the playoffs, and that their lower-than-expected record from losing a bunch of close games early is primarily a reflection of bad in-game luck and very obvious improvements that happened later in the season. By your telling, this can be explained almost exclusively by exceptional health and being regular season try-hards. Also, all the teams clustered around them in wins that had way less impressive point differentials should be held in higher esteem because they didn't try as hard and had more missed games to injuries but ended up with a similar number of wins.

I'm not a pollyanna. There are a bunch of weaknesses in this Celtics team, such as lack of shot creators and outside shooters, which is likely to come back to bite them this playoffs. I'm also not saying the Celtics weren't the lucky beneficiaries of good health, or that hitting that game-winning buzzer beater wasn't lucky - there are a lot of different forms of luck, and the Celtics have been a definitely been the beneficiary in some ways this season and postseason. They could lose in the first round (although it's starting to get unlikely). They could lose in the second. They could lose in the conference finals. This is not some sort of unbeatable juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination - they are a flawed team that is currently benefiting from being good in a year when all other teams in the league are also flawed.

But I object to you interpreting everything the Celtics accomplish in terms of luck and effort, when the actual empirical evidence shows they are genuinely a very talented team that deserves to be respected at this point. The comparison to last year's Knicks - a team that didn't win as many games, narrowly beat most of their opponents, and then went on to have a predictably poor playoffs - is silly and undeserving. The metrics told us the Knicks weren't that good heading into the playoffs. The Celtics are categorically different.

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm not saying the Celts were lucky to win Game 1. My point is that it was a verrrrry close game between two good teams and that we absolutely could have gone down 0-1. Back to our previous posts, I do think they were lucky, for once, to be as healthy as they were in the regular season, and that they almost certainly played harder than other teams that were often load managing or dealing with injuries in many games.

FWIW, having among the best health in the league is also actual empirical evidence. People here mad about missing 14 games of Jaylen early and two weeks of Rob late, but go right down the list with other top teams and contrast. The Warriors, Suns, Grizz, Heat, Bucks, Nets all had star players missing waaaay more games than ours did. Guys who are not only far better than Rob, but in most cases much better than Jaylen as well. And yet, teams like the Warriors, Suns, Heat, and Grizz were still right there with us both defensively and offensively over the course of the full season in the end. The Warriors core 3 played like 11 total minutes together this year and now they are healthy. The actual empirical evidence doesn't account for that. Like, at all.

Since a couple of you are pointing to their record in close games, a few old time sports adages here. #1, "You don't need to watch a whole basketball game, just the last two minutes." #2, and closely related to that is, "Good teams win close games."

Much of the success of the Spurs and Pats over a 20+ year stretch was their having the top-tier situational awareness and ability to execute under during at end of game situations. Clock management, do you have a foul to give, get the 2-for-1, how to use timeouts, how to run two-minute drill, coaches who can make the correct decisions quickly, and players who can execute big plays under pressure. Two different sports, but a common theme. With due respect to the small sample size, I don't think anyone should even imply that winning or losing close games is about luck.

You can be a good team regardless, but the deeper we go into the playoffs, all the teams are good. If that is actually a weakness of this team, it is not one that is conducive to playoff success.

I mean, we get to find out either way. But in the larger sense, I am just not as far upfield as a lot of folks here. Someone just compared us to the Jordan Bulls defensively a few posts ago. Even as the long-ruling President of Smartistan, I don't think you get to do that this early in the game, personally.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#109 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:44 pm

Imo the reason we are winning games is because we have a team full of guys who have bought into a defensive scheme and the coach compounded by brown and Tatum completely buying in. the ball is moving around and we have something that is an actual offense with smart playing his role absolutely perfectly. We haven’t been winning ugly dog fight games by pure effort- we’ve for a long stretch been winning games decisively anchored by our defense and execution on the offensive end. They’ve been really good and fundamentally sound and that’s why they are winning.

We also since about Xmas have had a legitimate top 10 player at worse in Tatum who has improved his playmaking ability immensely. he’s going to be 1st team all nba and imo is about a year ahead of where I thought he’d be at the end of next season. it’s the same reason I have any confidence at all that this team MAY have a real shot in the playoffs championship wise because we’ve all maintained and know you need an mvp caliber guy to win a ring.

While the nets are a flawed team and lack a great or even good coach they would probably win most series against other teams in the east with the exception of milwaukee & maybe Miami and that’s just off the back of how good KD and kyrie can wreck a series. I don’t think us barely beating them game 1 or stealing game 2 is an indictment on this teams ceiling and quite frankly both games have been tight with 4 mins left and the other side had Kevin Durant- we’ve won both. Long series still but that’s encouraging. Should also be noted that the bucks the defending champion bucks strategically avoided the nets.

As far as the Spurs and Brady example sure they’ve won becausee of elite situational awareness they also both have 1 thing in common ; 2 generational all time great talents who are probably the smartest players who have ever played their respective sports or at least their position. Brady being the greatest ever to play quarterback in a sport where game management specifically time management can be way easier manipulated than the sport of basketball. Also probably helps to have belichick and popovich. if that’s the bar? yeah well I think we fall short -as will basically every other franchise that’s existed in the last 30 years or possibly ever in the nfl’s case.

Either way the next few weeks will answer a lot of questions about this current team. I’ve seen many say we are a treadmill- i never really agreed fully and still don’t. Flirting with being a treadmill? yea. It’s a dangerous tight rope we are walking but Treadmill to me is a team that can’t or doesn’t have any path to getting better at all and kind of stuck in place. Either no assets/bad contracts/ or it’s best players on the back end of their prime. Hard for me to fully buy that for us when your best player is 24 and getting better. when Jaylen brown is 25 improved and a pretty good trade asset and when we potentially may be able to add another all star to the 2 of them in the off season ( a big if) and for the most part don’t have any bad contracts.

This team isn’t the Jordan / pippen bulls lol but it also isn’t last years knicks.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#110 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:50 pm

Jordan’s Bulls were playing against plumbers and substitute teachers. You think Jordan and Pippen would be able to score on the likes of Semi Ojeleye and Javonte Green? C’mon son.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,115

Post#111 » by sam_I_am » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:41 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:Durant is not #1 anymore, not even close. Still dangerous as hell but he is not the guy we saw win Gold.

MVP race is it's own thing, but Giannis and Durant have been the two best guys for a minute now, with Giannis at the top the last 2-3 years IMO.

Durant at the top of his game is easily the best player in NBA right now. I don’t know if it is age, the combination of his Achilles and knee injuries but a Kevin Durant who struggles to get by Grant Williams is not even close to the top of his game - no disrespect intended to Grant. Al Horford who was drafted right behind Durant and has suffered no major injuries was already past his prime at 33 so it’s no surprise that Durant has slipped, it just took the playoffs level of competition to be revealed.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,774

Post#112 » by Slax » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:13 pm

I don't think Claxton is really the most amazing fit for our team. Pretty good player, but he can't be on the court at the same time as Rob, for the same reason he can't be on the court at the same time as Drummond in Brooklyn, and his offense is so limited. We would be giving up Theis (who actually can play next to Rob) and Nesmith and a second rounder and - most importantly - hard capping ourselves for a player who we would probably play ~20 mpg in the regular season and probably wouldn't be a difference maker in the playoffs. I would really like to preserve the flexibility to get above the apron in case a star player demands a trade and is willing to put Boston on his list.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#113 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:43 pm

Slax wrote:

I don't think Claxton is really the most amazing fit for our team. Pretty good player, but he can't be on the court at the same time as Rob, for the same reason he can't be on the court at the same time as Drummond in Brooklyn, and his offense is so limited. We would be giving up Theis (who actually can play next to Rob) and Nesmith and a second rounder and - most importantly - hard capping ourselves for a player who we would probably play ~20 mpg in the regular season and probably wouldn't be a difference maker in the playoffs. I would really like to preserve the flexibility to get above the apron in case a star player demands a trade and is willing to put Boston on his list.

Totally get where you're coming from. Only point here I disagree on that I don't think Theis with Rob is something I'd like to see too much of.

My idea with Claxton is that being able to switch everything is so vital to our defensive scheme. There's a scarcity of big men who can really do that from the 5. Rob and Horford are two of those guys. Theis can play the scheme, but I don't think he's really a huge asset in it. Good depth guy who can hold it down with those defensive principles, but Claxton is a guy who'd really shine in that scheme. And yeah ideally it's just a 20 minutes a night role but with Rob's injury history it'd sure be nice to have another option I feel really good about in that role. Honestly, I've kind of given up on Nesmith. So for me if the price is Theis/Nesmith/2nd, I'm ok paying that for another player I feel really good about in a difficult to fill but vital role in our scheme as a switchable 5.

Great point on the hardcap though. This would take us out of the running for a major deal if a star comes available. It's a talent-based league and Tatum/Brown are the type of guys who attract stars to want to join your team so makes sense to leave options open.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,701

Post#114 » by fallguy » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:15 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:Imo the reason we are winning games is because we have a team full of guys who have bought into a defensive scheme and the coach compounded by brown and Tatum completely buying in. the ball is moving around and we have something that is an actual offense with smart playing his role absolutely perfectly. We haven’t been winning ugly dog fight games by pure effort- we’ve for a long stretch been winning games decisively anchored by our defense and execution on the offensive end. They’ve been really good and fundamentally sound and that’s why they are winning.

We also since about Xmas have had a legitimate top 10 player at worse in Tatum who has improved his playmaking ability immensely. he’s going to be 1st team all nba and imo is about a year ahead of where I thought he’d be at the end of next season. it’s the same reason I have any confidence at all that this team MAY have a real shot in the playoffs championship wise because we’ve all maintained and know you need an mvp caliber guy to win a ring.

While the nets are a flawed team and lack a great or even good coach they would probably win most series against other teams in the east with the exception of milwaukee & maybe Miami and that’s just off the back of how good KD and kyrie can wreck a series. I don’t think us barely beating them game 1 or stealing game 2 is an indictment on this teams ceiling and quite frankly both games have been tight with 4 mins left and the other side had Kevin Durant- we’ve won both. Long series still but that’s encouraging. Should also be noted that the bucks the defending champion bucks strategically avoided the nets.

As far as the Spurs and Brady example sure they’ve won becausee of elite situational awareness they also both have 1 thing in common ; 2 generational all time great talents who are probably the smartest players who have ever played their respective sports or at least their position. Brady being the greatest ever to play quarterback in a sport where game management specifically time management can be way easier manipulated than the sport of basketball. Also probably helps to have belichick and popovich. if that’s the bar? yeah well I think we fall short -as will basically every other franchise that’s existed in the last 30 years or possibly ever in the nfl’s case.

Either way the next few weeks will answer a lot of questions about this current team. I’ve seen many say we are a treadmill- i never really agreed fully and still don’t. Flirting with being a treadmill? yea. It’s a dangerous tight rope we are walking but Treadmill to me is a team that can’t or doesn’t have any path to getting better at all and kind of stuck in place. Either no assets/bad contracts/ or it’s best players on the back end of their prime. Hard for me to fully buy that for us when your best player is 24 and getting better. when Jaylen brown is 25 improved and a pretty good trade asset and when we potentially may be able to add another all star to the 2 of them in the off season ( a big if) and for the most part don’t have any bad contracts.

This team isn’t the Jordan / pippen bulls lol but it also isn’t last years knicks.

Tatum's ascent to top-10 guy changes the calculus for me. It seemed like he was headed there last year and now it's undeniable. Whether it's Brown or Beal or another guy as a complement, we should have legitimate championship aspirations going into every season we can retain Tatum. The sneaky possibility is that Rob is our third star - on a borderline MLE salary. In which case, I'm very bullish on a Tatum-era title if we can stay healthy.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,701

Post#115 » by fallguy » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:18 pm

Thought experiment.

If you handed this roster back to Danny, what would he do with it? Would it be materially different than what Brad will do with it?
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#116 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:24 pm

fallguy wrote:Thought experiment.

If you handed this roster back to Danny, what would he do with it? Would it be materially different than what Brad will do with it?

I love Danny but he’d never have given up 2 firsts in a year Imo or a swap. Whether you say that’s good or bad that’s up to each person but I’d be shocked if he did. Maybe the kemba for horford deal he does but no chances he’s doing the white deal
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#117 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:36 pm

Brad seems more committed to having guys who fit a particular scheme.

Danny was more into just collecting talent. Sometimes it was more talent+character, while at other times he went for pure talent; but fit was kind of secondary.

So Danny might partly blow up what Brad has so carefully and expensively assembled.

For the record: I think having a team whose worst starting defender is Jaylen Brown (or Al Horford, but Al got DPOY votes this year and Jaylen didn't) is a really good thing. Ditto when your worst defender in the whole rotation is is Payton Pritchard (who isn't at all bad these days). So I like the Brad strategy.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,900

Post#118 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:29 pm

The Celtics we saw the past three months are closer to the 2019 Raptors than the 2021 Knicks.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#119 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:27 pm

I think Brad GMs like a coach while Danny is a detached executive. Danny wants to collect as many all stars as possible and have the coach find a scheme around it. Brad I think has a vision of the scheme in his head and targets guys who fit.

I don't think Danny would have ever did something like the White trade as a result. I think Danny would be all in on a guy like Beal, while I think Brad might have more pause there.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#120 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:19 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:

I think Brad GMs like a coach while Danny is a detached executive. Danny wants to collect as many all stars as possible and have the coach find a scheme around it. Brad I think has a vision of the scheme in his head and targets guys who fit.

I don't think Danny would have ever did something like the White trade as a result. I think Danny would be all in on a guy like Beal, while I think Brad might have more pause there.

The weird thing is that Brad seems to have changed course midseason. He acquired a lot of guys in the offseason, then traded most of them away around the deadline. And it's indeed generally reported as Schroeder and Richardson not turning out to be good fits for Ime's schemes. So around the deadline Brad "overpaid" in picks for White and salary for Theis. And now EVERYBODY in Ime's rotation fits the schemes. And the guys trying to break in (Nesmith, Hauser, et al.) are unlikely to ever do so unless they turn out to fit the schemes as well.

Return to Boston Celtics