ImageImageImage

Luke "Green Kornet" Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 582

Re: Luke "Green Kornet" Thread 

Post#121 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Thu Dec 1, 2022 1:53 am

timpiker wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:I think Luke is exactly what we need from third big when Al and Rob are healthy. If Al or Rob break down in playoffs - a realistic possibility - I am not sure he an adequate #2 like Theis was for much of playoff run. If he is going to be that guy, Joe needs to play him more. The more he has played lately, the better he is getting so I am all for giving him more PT.

My thoughts as well. The more PT he gets, the better he gets.

Generally true for most (if not all) end-of-bench players everywhere... From not playing at all, getting some burn on the floor in gradually increasing minutes will see an improvement in game conditioning, chemistry, familiarity with offensive sets & defensive schemes, build rhythm, confidence and feel for the game...

It's just a question of how much the incremental improvements are and what the ceiling could be... And whether the cost (potential losses) in investing playing time on your end-of-bench guys will be offset later by the potential gains (deeper rotation, more match-up options, solid insurance against injuries & exhaustion) later in the RS/POs.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,844

Post#122 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Dec 1, 2022 1:20 pm

Can't wait to see if the Korntest will work against Steph Curry in the Finals.
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 582

Post#123 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:28 am

I'd crack up if I ever start seeing shooters from opposing teams try to fake off Korn3t first from the paint before launching from beyond the arc. :lol:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#124 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:36 am

_Und3r][D4wg_ wrote:I'd crack up if I ever start seeing shooters from opposing teams try to fake off Korn3t first from the paint before launching from beyond the arc. :lol:

It's happened at least three times already.

Scal endorsing this and saying it works makes me think of how KG would whack him in the head if Scal tried this in a game.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#125 » by jmr07019 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:40 am

You may not like it but this is what peak defensive performance looks like.

Read on Twitter
Show Love Spread Love
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#126 » by jmr07019 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 2:25 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Can't wait to see if the Korntest will work against Steph Curry in the Finals.

Korntest is my favorite name for this play. Better than eclipse or anything else
Show Love Spread Love
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#127 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:08 am

Start his DPoY campaign.

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,274

Post#128 » by playa-hater » Fri Dec 2, 2022 3:08 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Start his DPoY campaign.

this made me RLMAO but I also feel guilty about LOLing ..

AIR Kornet deserves better :nod:
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#129 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Dec 7, 2022 1:05 pm

Super tiny sample but Kornet has made 13/14 of his field goal attempts as a roll man. 100th percentile among the 100+ players who qualify.

Yet another decent addition to our rotation.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#130 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Dec 7, 2022 1:50 pm

Read on Twitter
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,240

Post#131 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:03 pm

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,200

Post#132 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:30 am

If Luke says that the Eclipse is better than running out to contest, we should just believe him.

But what about the third option, of not challenging the shot at all and optimizing rebounding? Has anybody quantified the rebounding penalty from the fact of his contests? (Or the transition offense penalty from somebody else needing to crash the boards rather than run ahead?)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,259

Post#133 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:41 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:If Luke says that the Eclipse is better than running out to contest, we should just believe him.

But what about the third option, of not challenging the shot at all and optimizing rebounding? Has anybody quantified the rebounding penalty from the fact of his contests? (Or the transition offense penalty from somebody else needing to crash the boards rather than run ahead?)

You make a great point, and the coach in me applauds. But the fan in me says to let the guy cook.
He's found his signature move, and I can already imagine a range of t-shirts and hoodies featuring his silhouette jumping vertically on the left side, and little shooter silhouette all the way over on the right side.
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#134 » by jmr07019 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:54 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:If Luke says that the Eclipse is better than running out to contest, we should just believe him.

My initial thought is his eclipse leaves him in much better rebounding position than running out to the three point line.

I’m curious if guys like Embiid Jokic or even Giannis could incorporate this move into their games and it would allow them to play more drop coverage. It won’t really conserve energy but it does hide a lateral quickness weakness.
Show Love Spread Love
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,200

Post#135 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:40 pm

jmr07019 wrote:

My initial thought is his eclipse leaves him in much better rebounding position than running out to the three point line.

I’m curious if guys like Embiid Jokic or even Giannis could incorporate this move into their games and it would allow them to play more drop coverage. It won’t really conserve energy but it does hide a lateral quickness weakness.

If doomed runout is doomed, then the tradeoff is between the Kornet Eclipse and not contesting at all.

And by the way -- suppose Kornet's man is near the basket somewhere. Then the Kornet Eclipse involves abandoning his man, which is probably fine for the initial shot, assuming the angles are such that he's interfering not just with the shot but with a hypothetical entry pass as well. But it does mean he's making no effort to block his man out for any rebound.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#136 » by jmr07019 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:05 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:

If doomed runout is doomed, then the tradeoff is between the Kornet Eclipse and not contesting at all.

And by the way -- suppose Kornet's man is near the basket somewhere. Then the Kornet Eclipse involves abandoning his man, which is probably fine for the initial shot, assuming the angles are such that he's interfering not just with the shot but with a hypothetical entry pass as well. But it does mean he's making no effort to block his man out for any rebound.

I see what you’re saying. It seems to me Kornet mostly uses this when the defense is already in rotation but I’m going off memory.

I don’t think you should ever leave your man near the basket to perform the eclipse.

If you’re a big playing drop coverage and your man is setting a pick at the 3 point line it’s an interesting discussion and potentially an attractive option. If you perform the eclipse you can probably still recover to the big rolling to the rim or you can live with a center shooting an above the break 3. Keep in mind it’s not just Kornet who could do this. Can you imagine Rob or Giannis or Bam doing this? Of course there are limits to this. At no point should you be trying this on Steph or Tatum or any big time shooter.
Show Love Spread Love
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#137 » by jmr07019 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:09 pm

The fact that opponents are pump faking Luke speaks to the actual effectiveness of the eclipse. If it wasn’t effective opponents wouldn’t bother pump faking. I don’t think the eclipse should be abandoned for better rebounding position but I acknowledge that you are sacrificing rebounding position.
Show Love Spread Love
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#138 » by ballup » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:45 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:

Definitely does depend on whether his man is in the paint vs his man is the shooter.

Gang rebounding (for the lack of better phrasing) from the wings can alleviate this weakness, but boxing out is one of the most consistently dropped duties during games.

It's a fun neat trick, but probably not too viable. Besides the aforementioned rebounding issue, misses from 3s can bounce so randomly and end up back into the hand of the shooter.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,384

Post#139 » by Hal14 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:02 pm

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
ThePigeon
Veteran
And1: 1,405

Post#140 » by ThePigeon » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:19 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kornet is a trend setter :lol:
I can see Wemby, Holmgren, Bol Bol doing it also (or other noodle bodied players)

Stats don't lie

Return to Boston Celtics