ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,274

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1201 » by playa-hater » Thu May 16, 2024 5:45 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Have to love Danny! LOL!!

Jazz also have pick 30 I believe.. I actually really think Bronny goes higher than many think.. Hype, the chance to get Lebron or at least ask for a "Kings" ransom to trade him to LAL..

Celtics have pick 30

Correct. Jazz at 29... which means Danny definitely drafting Bronny there. :nod:
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#1202 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:12 pm

Bronny James is
1. Undersized
2. Can't shoot
I think he's definitely going 29th to Utah.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,384

Post#1203 » by Hal14 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:31 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jazz also have pick 30 I believe.. I actually really think Bronny goes higher than many think.. Hype, the chance to get Lebron or at least ask for a "Kings" ransom to trade him to LAL..

And what if you draft Bronny but you're not able to get LeBron? Then you just wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who's like the 87th best prospect in the draft.

I don't see him going until the mid 2nd round at the earliest.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
redslastlaugh
Junior
And1: 167

Post#1204 » by redslastlaugh » Thu May 16, 2024 7:02 pm

Does Flowers project as a defender?

And, on that note, where would Jaden Springer rate as a defender if he was in this draft? Would Jaden Springer be the best perimeter defender if he was in this draft?

Hal14 wrote:If Brad does decide to stick w/ the blueprint of drafting 18/19 yr old kids w/ good athleticism (and not drafting bigs) this guy could get a look:

Pick 30 would probably be a reach for him, but could be a decent flier in the 2nd round..
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,510

Post#1205 » by Celts17Pride » Thu May 16, 2024 7:20 pm

I still like Jaylon Tyson for the Celtics at pick #30.
redslastlaugh
Junior
And1: 167

Post#1206 » by redslastlaugh » Thu May 16, 2024 7:24 pm

Jaylon Tyson looks like he could be a playoff wing like a Caleb Martin type if pans out, which sounds good. I wonder if anyone has heard if Tyson has character red flags given that he played at three different big time schools in three years, which seems weird, to transfer side-to-side twice??
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,510

Post#1207 » by Celts17Pride » Thu May 16, 2024 7:30 pm

redslastlaugh wrote:Jaylon Tyson looks like he could be a playoff wing like a Caleb Martin type if pans out, which sounds good. I wonder if anyone has heard if Tyson has character red flags given that he played at three different big time schools in three years, which seems weird, to transfer side-to-side twice??

Don't know but he looks like a talent to me. Cross between JB/D White.

“Tyson is a Swiss Army knife type of player who has good size and shows potential to be a two-way player on both sides of the ball while doing everything,” an NBA executive told HoopsHype.

Sounds good to me.

Another take:

It’s taken three different stops in as many years for Tyson during his college career, but he’s really found the perfect system to showcase his skillset with the Golden Bears as a junior. A 6-foot-7 wing with guard tools, he’s an enticing piece on both ends of the floor.

On the offensive side of the ball, Tyson is a 20-point scorer nearly every single night. Overall, he’s a phenomenal offensive engine who can score the ball at a high level and also operate as a secondary facilitator. He’s generated a high number of assists for a player of his size, but can also be fairly turnover-prone at times. The 21-year-old is a good ballhandler as well, with fluid movement off the bounce for a wing.

Simply put, he’s a playmaker on that end. Tyson is a reliable 3-point shooter on decent volume, but still has room to grow as a perimeter shooter. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to a more limited role in NBA. How effective can he be without taking 12 to 15 shots initially? He has the skills to be an effective piece off the bench with limited shot attempts, but that's not his game at the college level.

Tyson’s ability to crash the boards really makes him stick out for his position. Despite being a perimeter-oriented player, he’s one of the most effective rebounders at his height in the country. He is also an engaged defender who can take on multiple positions and plays smart on that end of the floor.

A former four-star recruit, Tyson has significantly improved his draft stock during his third college season. He would be a great pickup for a competitive team that needs a year-one impact rookie.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,543

Post#1208 » by threrf23 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:36 pm

redslastlaugh wrote:Jaylon Tyson looks like he could be a playoff wing like a Caleb Martin type if pans out, which sounds good. I wonder if anyone has heard if Tyson has character red flags given that he played at three different big time schools in three years, which seems weird, to transfer side-to-side twice??

Ever since covid, the transfer portal has been incredibly active, so I'm not sure if transfers still speak to character question marks.

But Tyson's story can be found here:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/cal-s-jaylon-tyson-leaves-texas-tech-trauma-18481758.php

TLDR he played 55 minutes his freshman year at Texas, and at Texas Tech his coach was sacked for comparing his relationship with his players to a relationship between master and slave.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#1209 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:04 pm

threrf23 wrote: at Texas Tech his coach was sacked for comparing his relationship with his players to a relationship between master and slave.

what in the world
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1210 » by Hal14 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:06 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:

Don't know but he looks like a talent to me. Cross between JB/D White.

“Tyson is a Swiss Army knife type of player who has good size and shows potential to be a two-way player on both sides of the ball while doing everything,” an NBA executive told HoopsHype.

Sounds good to me.

Another take:

It’s taken three different stops in as many years for Tyson during his college career, but he’s really found the perfect system to showcase his skillset with the Golden Bears as a junior. A 6-foot-7 wing with guard tools, he’s an enticing piece on both ends of the floor.

On the offensive side of the ball, Tyson is a 20-point scorer nearly every single night. Overall, he’s a phenomenal offensive engine who can score the ball at a high level and also operate as a secondary facilitator. He’s generated a high number of assists for a player of his size, but can also be fairly turnover-prone at times. The 21-year-old is a good ballhandler as well, with fluid movement off the bounce for a wing.

Simply put, he’s a playmaker on that end. Tyson is a reliable 3-point shooter on decent volume, but still has room to grow as a perimeter shooter. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to a more limited role in NBA. How effective can he be without taking 12 to 15 shots initially? He has the skills to be an effective piece off the bench with limited shot attempts, but that's not his game at the college level.

Tyson’s ability to crash the boards really makes him stick out for his position. Despite being a perimeter-oriented player, he’s one of the most effective rebounders at his height in the country. He is also an engaged defender who can take on multiple positions and plays smart on that end of the floor.

A former four-star recruit, Tyson has significantly improved his draft stock during his third college season. He would be a great pickup for a competitive team that needs a year-one impact rookie.

If we actually take someone with the 30th pick and if Tyson is still on the board, he's absolutely a guy Brad should think long and hard about taking.

He's GOOD.

But those are both pretty big if's. More than likely, we trade out of the 1st round and more than likely, Tyson is gone before pick 30.

But to answer that other guy's question, no Tyson does not have any character issues that I'm aware of. Texas is a tough spot - lots of guys go there and don't perform as well - they don't seen to develop players great over there and have had some scandals, coaching changes and stuff. Then he transferred again (from Texas Tech) but I believe they had a coaching change too.

The only real issues with Tyson:
-Defense can be shaky
-As that other write up said, can have turnover issues at times
-Only measured with a 6'8" wingspan at the combine, a low number for a wing - which can result in issues on both ends of the floor (there are some outlier guys with bad wingspan though who have turned out really well, like Desmone Bane)

I think he should go somewhere in the 15-24 range. So getting him at 30 would be good value.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1211 » by Hal14 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:12 pm

redslastlaugh wrote:Does Flowers project as a defender?

And, on that note, where would Jaden Springer rate as a defender if he was in this draft? Would Jaden Springer be the best perimeter defender if he was in this draft?

Hal14 wrote:If Brad does decide to stick w/ the blueprint of drafting 18/19 yr old kids w/ good athleticism (and not drafting bigs) this guy could get a look:

Pick 30 would probably be a reach for him, but could be a decent flier in the 2nd round..

Flowers was bad defensively in HS, bad defensively this past season in the NBL. But appeared to show some betetr defense in the combine scrimmages. So maybe he has improved there..

Springer as a perimeter defender is probably fairly comparable to Devin Carter, who might be the best perimeter defender in this draft (if he's not the best, he's up there).
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,768

Post#1212 » by 165bows » Thu May 16, 2024 8:20 pm

Hal14 wrote:
redslastlaugh wrote:Does Flowers project as a defender?

Flowers was bad defensively in HS, bad defensively this past season in the NBL. But appeared to show some betetr defense in the combine scrimmages. So maybe he has improved there..

Springer as a perimeter defender is probably fairly comparable to Devin Carter, who might be the best perimeter defender in this draft (if he's not the best, he's up there).

Feel like Devin Carter has a shot to be a really good player. Not saying he's some def top-10 pick, but wouldn't surprise me if he ends up there in a re-draft.
threrf23
RealGM

Post#1213 » by threrf23 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:26 pm

Hal14 wrote:(there are some outlier guys with bad wingspan though who have turned out really well, like Desmone Bane)

I think he should go somewhere in the 15-24 range. So getting him at 30 would be good value.

nbadraft.net lists Bane as their comparison; but on paper he is not the elit-ish shooter that Bane was, his A/TO ratio is also lacking by comparison. But I think he seems vaguely comparable to a guy like Jaime Jaquez, who can probably step in and contribute as a 3 & D guy right away while also possessing some future upside.

(Jaquez had a 6.9.5" wingspan per Google)
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,820

Post#1214 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:00 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Celtics have pick 30

For now….
Sign here
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#1215 » by playa-hater » Thu May 16, 2024 9:19 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

And what if you draft Bronny but you're not able to get LeBron? Then you just wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who's like the 87th best prospect in the draft.

I don't see him going until the mid 2nd round at the earliest.

Simple. Put him deep on the bench.. Never play him.. Papa Bron gets real emotional. Demands a trade for Bronny. Boston gets 3 first RD picks ... OK I am only half joking.. But you get the idea.
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 6,002

Post#1216 » by lon3lytoaster » Thu May 16, 2024 9:27 pm

I don’t think we’re allowed to have another Jay under the CBA.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#1217 » by playa-hater » Thu May 16, 2024 9:31 pm

I think a real good indicator on where Bronny may be drafted is whether or Not Lebron has Extended by draft time or not.. If He hasn't that would allow the flexibility of Lebron to Go elsewhere. The NYK have 2 1st rd picks... They/Thibs are NOT trying to get 2 more rookies. They draft Bronny to Get Lebron.. Make whatever Cap moves to get it done.. That would be a very NYK type of move..

Remember you heard it here first 8-)
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,820

Post#1218 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:45 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:

I don’t think we’re allowed to have another Jay under the CBA.

We could add one more but would be hardcapped at the Jaypron.
Sign here
neno
Rookie
And1: 936

Post#1219 » by neno » Fri May 17, 2024 3:13 am

If Ryan Dunn can improve on offense he'll be monster cause his defense is really good don't know if he's better than springer but I'll grab great defenders all the time
threrf23
RealGM

Post#1220 » by threrf23 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:46 am

neno wrote:If Ryan Dunn can improve on offense he'll be monster cause his defense is really good don't know if he's better than springer but I'll grab great defenders all the time

He is efficient inside the arc and has a passable A/TO ratio, I'd take that chance...at worst his 3 ball never comes along and he ends up something like Kevon Looney

Return to Boston Celtics