ImageImageImage

Doc Rivers is a joke

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#21 » by Tricky Ricky » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:46 am

rushless wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Nobody is panicking. Simply pointing out a fact.
GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

Post#22 » by GonzoLays » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:03 am

What a mind-numbing thread.

So what exactly is Doc Rivers doing wrong? Enlighten us.

And what is so freaking hard to understand about even the best teams losing 25 games a year? Was Larry Bird and the 80's celtics finishing 78-4 every year? Hells no. They lost a TON of games with three Hall of Famers in their prime with Dennis Johnson and Danny Ainge in the backcourt. EVERYTEAM LOSES GAMES -- LOTS OF THEM! Its the NBA!

Good freaking grief, we are 30-6 and people act like we should win everygame. News flash: every loss sucks. Every single one of them. So when the Bulls lost 10 games back in their 72 win season, I'm sure the fickle fans of the Bulls were screaming, "Fire Phil Jackson!! He should play Stacey king more!! Why did he take out BJ Armstrong and put back in Steve Ker??? Phil Jackson SUCKS."

This is ..... I'm not going to say it.
JJHondo17
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#23 » by JJHondo17 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Can't wait for another loss this week, so the trade Paul Pierce contingent can be heard from. :roll:
CWitch
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#24 » by CWitch » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:06 pm

I have never liked Doc. I think he has lost us more games than won us game.

His substitutions really show his lack of game time intelligence.

He may run a good practice, but during a tight game he makes poor choices.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#25 » by cisco » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:20 pm

CWitch wrote:I have never liked Doc. I think he has lost us more games than won us game.

His substitutions really show his lack of game time intelligence.

He may run a good practice, but during a tight game he makes poor choices.

Agreed. Doc sucked big time last night. Why the heck did he take Tony Allen out when it was clear the team was dead until Tony came in and sparked the team? And had the nerve to wait until the entire 12 pt lead was gone and only 51 seconds left in the game to bring him back in. :roll: What an idiot.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#26 » by Tricky Ricky » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:23 pm

cisco wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Agreed. Doc sucked big time last night. Why the heck did he take Tony Allen out when it was clear the team was dead until Tony came in and sparked the team? And had the nerve to wait until the entire 12 pt lead was gone and only 51 seconds left in the game to bring him back in. :roll: What an idiot.

He will cost us stupid games like this, theres a reason hes neevr won a playoff series...
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,987

Post#27 » by darrendaye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Eh, I'm one of TA's strongest advocates on here and I thought Rivers pulled him at an appropriate time. Until there is strong evidence otherwise through long stretches of focused play, Tony should be considered a mistake prone player and you can't trust him in the waning moments of close games. You can take that chance at other stages of the game because there is ample time for the team to recover if Bad Tony shows up that given night.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
cisco
Veteran

Post#28 » by cisco » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:38 pm

darrendaye wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Eh, I'm one of TA's strongest advocates on here and I thought Rivers pulled him at an appropriate time. Until there is strong evidence otherwise through long stretches of focused play, Tony should be considered a mistake prone player and you can't trust him in the waning moments of close games. You can take that chance at other stages of the game because there is ample time for the team to recover if Bad Tony shows up that given night.

Wrong. You can usually tell when Tony is going to have a good game. Last night he played well, NO TURNOVERS, and he was giving up the ball early instead of dribbling into trouble (another sign that he was going to have a good game). When Tony is having a good game, play him. At the very least he will play good defense and wreak havoc and prevent the other team from getting into their offensive sets, which is what he did last night to help the C's get the lead. There was absolutely no excuse to go away from Tony and play House all those minutes when Tony was playing well and House had already proved to be ineffective in that game, both offensively and defensively. If House isn't hitting his shots, he brings nothing else to the table. At least Tony can play defense and wreaks havoc (which creates offensive opportunities for the Cs on the other end).
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by darrendaye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Wrong. You can usually tell when Tony is going to have a good game. Last night he played well, NO TURNOVERS, and he was giving up the ball early instead of dribbling into trouble (another sign that he was going to have a good game). When Tony is having a good game, play him. At the very least he will play good defense and wreak havoc and prevent the other team from getting into their offensive sets, which is what he did last night to help the C's get the lead. There was absolutely no excuse to go away from Tony and play House all those minutes when Tony was playing well and House had already proved to be ineffective in that game, both offensively and defensively. If House isn't hitting his shots, he brings nothing else to the table. At least Tony can play defense and wreaks havoc (which creates offensive opportunities for the Cs on the other end).

Well this surely puts me in my place. I concede to your superior logic.

aboubata
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by aboubata » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:56 pm

let me tell you why I think Doc should take the blame for last night game:
1. When House was bringing the ball up the court, no big man was there to help him. REMEMBER when we talked about adjustment after the detroit loss.

2. Talking about adjustment, he didn't make any after saturday game, that means if we get to the finals and go against a team with good coach (Popovich anyone), then we are going down.

3. That Tony Allen sub was as stupid as it gets, House was 1 of 6 from the floor. You want Ray back in there, then fine, put him in for house, shooter for shooter, bad defense for bad defense. and your game will stay the same.

4. Since Big Al was here, I have been screaming for some play (low picks) to get the big man (or even Paul) a good position with the ball. Haywood had better position than garnet in both games.

P.S. if Ray miss another layup, someone should throw a beer at him from the stands.
NFL fans are now feeling what NBA fans been living for a while...
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by darrendaye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:08 pm

As I stated in the game thread, I put much of the blame for the outcome of the game on Rivers. My primary point was the slow recognition that with the unit Washington had out there and the team's recent sputtering offense, that half court defense and rebounding were the most reliable method of maintaining a 7 point lead with 2 minutes left. Many other what-if situations, IMO, can be countered with more logical arguments to support his decisions (not that this means they were necessarily right, but that they were defensible) than that one. I think we were at a near concensous on here that he should have brought Perk in at that stage.

CelticsWhat!
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#32 » by CelticsWhat! » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:13 pm

I wonder how some of you are even capable of working a computer with the moronic statements that come from this board.
"If you drop a phonograph needle on Brasky's nipple, it plays the Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds.'"
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#33 » by Tricky Ricky » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:28 pm

CelticsWhat! wrote:I wonder how some of you are even capable of working a computer with the moronic statements that come from this board.

Were wondering the same
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#34 » by Tricky Ricky » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:29 pm

aboubata wrote:
4. Since Big Al was here, I have been screaming for some play (low picks) to get the big man (or even Paul) a good position with the ball. Haywood had better position than garnet in both games.

Big Als first year was also Docs first year.
cisco
Veteran

Post#35 » by cisco » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:13 pm

darrendaye wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well this surely puts me in my place. I concede to your superior logic.

Please ignore the word "wrong" to start my post. That was a mistake. I was going to write something else in response to another post and didn't delete that word. Sorry.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by darrendaye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:55 pm

Please ignore the word "wrong" to start my post. That was a mistake. I was going to write something else in response to another post and didn't delete that word. Sorry.

I'm getting busy here at work, but wanted to respond now in case you're still around..... Thanks for seeing past my sarcastic comment, it actually surprised me that you initally replied in that tone because I hadn't really perceived you to be the bully type from my recollections of your posting history.

I actually agree with many of the points you listed in terms of beneficial attributes that Tony provides the team, and how they positively impacted the team last night. But, I still perceive Tony to be somewhat volatile and maintain the idea that even if he puts together a prolonged stretch of mistake-free basketball the risk of implosion remains a factor. So while I don't know that I would have taken him out at that exact moment, I can appreciate the logic in Doc doing so.

If anything, I would be more inclined to argue about how long it took Rivers to put him in the game in the 2nd half, considering the number of minutes Ray Allen and Paul Pierce played.

sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#37 » by sully00 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:14 pm

I think all of the Doc haters should have their own game thread where they can questions his moves in real time instead of hindsight.

Don't go back over the game and decide that Doc is an idiot because something didn't work or go well. Question it when it happens and then you can live with the results like he has to.

One thing to keep in mind about the Wizards right now is there is not a ton of tape on this team right now, playing this style of play. They are tough defensively and really move the ball on offense. They are totally different team without Arenas and at the moment for the better. Now they have a healthy plateful of what they are doing in person to go with the tape and they can make some adjustments.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,747

Post#38 » by return2glory » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:47 pm

I think saying that Doc is a joke is harsh. Doc is a great guy and an average coach. But he was bad last night.

I agree however that Doc is not good enough to win big playoff games. He is very poor at adjustedments. Anyone remember game 7 vs the Pacers at home? He lost by 30 points.

I'll say it again. I don't hate Doc. But there is no way we win a champonship with him as head coach.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#39 » by Tricky Ricky » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:23 pm

return2glory wrote:I think saying that Doc is a joke is harsh. Doc is a great guy and an average coach. But he was bad last night.

I agree however that Doc is not good enough to win big playoff games. He is very poor at adjustedments. Anyone remember game 7 vs the Pacers at home? He lost by 30 points.

I'll say it again. I don't hate Doc. But there is no way we win a champonship with him as head coach.

I can agree with this
Hemingway
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#40 » by Hemingway » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:32 am

I think some of you are over looking that Doc probably knows more about basketball than anyone who posts on this board.

Return to Boston Celtics