ImageImageImage

Game Thread – Celtics @ Suns – 8:30PM, Sat, March 9, 2024

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,932

Re: Game Thread – Celtics @ Suns – 8:30PM, Sat, March 9, 2024 

Post#41 » by Triple7 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:31 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:There is a difference between not being able to handle pressure and needing to have more consistency in having dominant performances against the best opposition when it matters most lol.

Pretty much every single NBA player handles pressure. JT has delivered a ton in his career and has shown he can perform under pressure. Only question left is playing at his highest level when it matters most consistently.

That’s just it. Even after great performances in the playoffs, he comes out stinkin in the next. No conistency. You never know what performance you can get from him every game. Just go look at other mvp type players. Win or lose, you almost always get the same consistent performance from them. JT has this 1/11 shooting every other games. That’s why nobody takes him seriously on mvp talks, no matter how much he tries to sell himself. He played against the best player in the world, at least try to match up, and not lay an egg. At least now, he won’t get pressure to perform, as his chance to get mvp is close to zero. He should just focus on winning games.

JT is not MVP level. At least not yet, but he’s not too far behind.

In all honesty you are exaggerating, he performs more often than not and far better in the playoffs than MVPs Embiid & Harden. Sometimes the grass seems greener because you watch JT every game and are far more invested in his success than those from other teams you watch every now and again and see on ESPN only when they hit a game winner. As great as Curry is, even he misses more game winners than he hits, he has down games when it matters too, he is above JT for now in that area, but my point is all players have them.

Butler? Biggest con job is the bravado as everyone buys it then ignores the many down games he has. Jimmy Buckets didn’t achieve **** with a stacked team with Embiid, Simmons (when he was all-star level), JJ, Harris etc and only made finals in his 30s.

SGA? Hasn’t proven a thing yet and only a few months younger than JT. Luka? Have you seen him win anything of note? How is the almighty Giannis looking without the help? Great player sure but he gets plenty of help from the refs ignoring travels, charges and exceeding free throw time.

JT needs to find another level to be spoken of at the level of Jokic, Giannis, Kawhi no doubt, but let’s not lose sight of reality or forget how much he’s achieved at his age.

I have JT below Jokic, Giannis, embiid, luka and SGA. I base that on offensive skills. If you really watch JT, it takes a lot from him to score compared to those other guys. He takes tough shots. He also doesn’t finish that well around the basket, especially with contact. I agree though, that embiid underperforms in the playoffs. Probably wouldn’t win, same as luka. I also agree that JT achieved a lot at a young age, but this season is it. No more excuses. I have yet to see him this season be that hungry to win. The mentality to win at all cost. He’s too passive at times, and settle too much. That last play against the cavs, taking a last second shot when down 1, makes him look stupid. Like a brain fart or something.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,932

Post#42 » by Triple7 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:33 pm

Fierce1 wrote:JT better NOT play to well in this game or this board will be a lonely place again.

I just want him to be consistent. Sick of him playing great one game, then laying an egg on the next one.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,989

Post#43 » by Green89 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 2:09 pm

Am I in the Suns game thread or the Tatum thread? :sigh:
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,690

Post#44 » by shackles10 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:42 pm

Green89 wrote:Am I in the Suns game thread or the Tatum thread? :sigh:

Apparently it’s whatever you want it to be lol.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,690

Post#45 » by shackles10 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:44 pm

Let’s keep the Tatum specific stuff about his entire career, this season, and trajectory in those threads. Let’s talk about Tatum specific stuff when he comes alive in the Valley of the Sun tonight in this thread. I’m too lazy and sick to move and merge stuff so help me out lol.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,979

Post#46 » by Fierce1 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:03 pm

This is really interesting because JT had a poor showing the previous game.

What will JT do in this game?

He's facing KD again, so this could be a duel.

Or JT will score less and end up with a triple-double.

It's best if this is a close game.

Cs learn nothing by winning big.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,828

Post#47 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 9, 2024 5:54 pm

This was from the Denver game. Celtics fans are the real MVP.
Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#48 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:00 pm

Queta is PROBABLE for this game. We can finally use the Horford-Tillman-Queta-Porzingis-Kornet lineup to counter KD + Bol Bol.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,475

Post#49 » by bisme37 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:07 pm

The Celtics have the league's best 4th quarter margin at +1.8.

The Suns have the league's worst 4th quarter margin at -3.2.

The next worst team is Miami at -1.3. So the Suns are pretty bad in 4th quarters is what I'm trying to say.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/average-4th-quarter-margin
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#50 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:45 pm

Current Top 10 in Player Net Rating:
* minimum 10 mpg, 40 games played

EDIT: Should've made the cutoff 45 games so White is #1 and the greatest player in the world, Nikola Jokic, makes the top 10.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,475

Post#51 » by bisme37 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:22 pm

It's stupid daylight savings tonight in (most of) the US so don't forget to change your clocks. We lose an hour ugh.

Celtics are in Phoenix where it's Mountain Standard Time and they don't do daylight savings. So during the game it will be 2 hours later for the C's than what they're used to in Boston. And then after the game they will fly to Portland but it will instantly be another 2 hours later since it's Pacific time zone and they do daylight savings in Oregon. Then the game in Portland starts at 7:30 local time, which is 10:30 in Boston, but because of DST it will feel like 11:30pm to the C's.

If this is really confusing, that's my point haha. All so farmers from the 1800's can work in daylight since lightbulbs haven't been invented. Or something.

Edit: I put way too much thought into this and I still think I got part of it wrong lol. Now I'm thinking the C's will actually gain 2 hours on the flight from Phoenix to Portland and therefore likely arrive before they left. But I'm too confused to be sure haha.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,495

Post#52 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:56 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Queta is PROBABLE for this game. We can finally use the Horford-Tillman-Queta-Porzingis-Kornet lineup to counter KD + Bol Bol.

Been looking forward to that lineup. :D
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,274

Post#53 » by playa-hater » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:08 pm

edit
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 7,175

Post#54 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:11 pm

Triple7 wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
That’s just it. Even after great performances in the playoffs, he comes out stinkin in the next. No conistency. You never know what performance you can get from him every game. Just go look at other mvp type players. Win or lose, you almost always get the same consistent performance from them. JT has this 1/11 shooting every other games. That’s why nobody takes him seriously on mvp talks, no matter how much he tries to sell himself. He played against the best player in the world, at least try to match up, and not lay an egg. At least now, he won’t get pressure to perform, as his chance to get mvp is close to zero. He should just focus on winning games.

JT is not MVP level. At least not yet, but he’s not too far behind.

In all honesty you are exaggerating, he performs more often than not and far better in the playoffs than MVPs Embiid & Harden. Sometimes the grass seems greener because you watch JT every game and are far more invested in his success than those from other teams you watch every now and again and see on ESPN only when they hit a game winner. As great as Curry is, even he misses more game winners than he hits, he has down games when it matters too, he is above JT for now in that area, but my point is all players have them.

Butler? Biggest con job is the bravado as everyone buys it then ignores the many down games he has. Jimmy Buckets didn’t achieve **** with a stacked team with Embiid, Simmons (when he was all-star level), JJ, Harris etc and only made finals in his 30s.

SGA? Hasn’t proven a thing yet and only a few months younger than JT. Luka? Have you seen him win anything of note? How is the almighty Giannis looking without the help? Great player sure but he gets plenty of help from the refs ignoring travels, charges and exceeding free throw time.

JT needs to find another level to be spoken of at the level of Jokic, Giannis, Kawhi no doubt, but let’s not lose sight of reality or forget how much he’s achieved at his age.

I have JT below Jokic, Giannis, embiid, luka and SGA. I base that on offensive skills. If you really watch JT, it takes a lot from him to score compared to those other guys. He takes tough shots. He also doesn’t finish that well around the basket, especially with contact. I agree though, that embiid underperforms in the playoffs. Probably wouldn’t win, same as luka. I also agree that JT achieved a lot at a young age, but this season is it. No more excuses. I have yet to see him this season be that hungry to win. The mentality to win at all cost. He’s too passive at times, and settle too much. That last play against the cavs, taking a last second shot when down 1, makes him look stupid. Like a brain fart or something.

It does take more effort that some to score, but look at the effort Giannis requires too. The last two years JT has run out of puff by the conference finals/finals because of the minutes and effort we require from him throughout the year.

This season he seems to be cruising more which I’m completely fine with because we can afford him to preserve his peak effort for when it matters most. Butler, LeBron, Kawhi etc have all been doing this for years.

Regarding his last shots, I’d like more variation within the team and to get into our actions earlier but I’m also hoping we save any special plays or surprises for when it matters most also…but there is a reason teams often end with an iso hero shot, because more passing increases the chance of a turnover at a point in the game everyone is guarded most intensely. That last play against the Cavs was bad because he should have been taking that shot at least 5-10 seconds earlier in our game situation. Had he done that? We would have had time for the KP put back.

EDIT - anyway Trip7 we can agree in wanting JT to explode, Celts to win the chip and getting back on track against the Suns who have JT’s favourite bunny to dominate in KD.

Please don’t let Grayson injure anyone…
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 7,175

Post#55 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:12 pm

shackles10 wrote:Let’s keep the Tatum specific stuff about his entire career, this season, and trajectory in those threads. Let’s talk about Tatum specific stuff when he comes alive in the Valley of the Sun tonight in this thread. I’m too lazy and sick to move and merge stuff so help me out lol.

LOL sorry I just replied to a reply to me then saw this afterward. I’ll stop now.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,921

Post#56 » by Parliament10 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:34 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,274

Post#57 » by playa-hater » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:47 pm

playa-hater wrote:Totally forgot that tonight's game is at the same time.My flight to new york... And the last time my wifi was so **** on the plane.. Win or lose, is it too much to ask for our Wanna be MVP to at least play aggressive ???

EDIT... Flight just canceled.. F me... But at least a will see the Celtic game.. they better win even more so!
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,098

Post#58 » by exculpatory » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:10 pm

I have little to say until our MVP STARTS BALLING AGAIN - after 2 putid games.
7 needs to continue to bring it hard - & MAKE HIS MOTHER **** FTS!
Derrick needs to start scoring like he did during our 11 game win streak!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,098

Post#59 » by exculpatory » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:22 pm

Are Booker & Beal both playing?
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,921

Post#60 » by Parliament10 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:10 am

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics