ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Jordan Walsh!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,108

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jordan Walsh! 

Post#501 » by sam_I_am » Sat Dec 2, 2023 1:57 am

Parliament10 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Riverwalk2021 wrote:This dude is gonna be a player in a couple of seasons. He's got all the physical attributes and a great attitude.

In 2 years he will be a much better player than now. But he still has enough tools to help us win our champions this season.. And the single most important thing is winning 18.. If he can help More than the others than it is negligent not to be giving him a chance.

I Agree with you. Just don't know if there is enough time to get playing time for him.

Of course he can’t help us now. It’s obvious - probably moreso in practice - and that is why they sent him to Maine. We have seen many guys emerge late season after G league runs so let’s hope he is the next one.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,928

Post#502 » by Parliament10 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 2:01 am

sam_I_am wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
In 2 years he will be a much better player than now. But he still has enough tools to help us win our champions this season.. And the single most important thing is winning 18.. If he can help More than the others than it is negligent not to be giving him a chance.

I Agree with you. Just don't know if there is enough time to get playing time for him.

Of course he can’t help us now. It’s obvious - probably moreso in practice - and that is why they sent him to Maine. We have seen many guys emerge late season after G league runs so let’s hope he is the next one.

I remember Avery Bradley did it.
Ended up replacing Ray Allen in the Starting Lineup.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,274

Post#503 » by playa-hater » Sat Dec 2, 2023 2:07 am

sam_I_am wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

With all do respect, That is a terrible mindset to have.. We traded away Desmond Bain. Because he was just too young to help us, they said.. We end up getting enes Kanter??

So let's keep ringing in bum veterans. Because a young guy can't be good enough to play mentality..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,384

Post#504 » by Hal14 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 3:25 am

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:Not sure why he is not getting a chance to prove himself with some time on floor in Boston, IMO he is easily better than everyone else after top 8

Perhaps. But we have no proof that this is true. Everyone else on the roster has actually proven themselves at the NBA level for 2+ seasons. Walsh has played 0 NBA games and is a 19 year old 2nd round pick. The other 2nd round picks who are under the age of 22 are also playing in the G league now (Julian Phillips, Rayan Rupert, Sidy Cissoko, Maxwell Lewis, GG Jackson, Amari Bailey, etc.).

Even quite a few 1st round picks are playing G league (Taylor Hendricks, Noah Clowney, Jett Howard, Cam Whitmore, Brice Sensabaugh, etc.)

Proven what?? that they all were nothing more than players that their original teams didn't even want to resign??

Do you have "proof" that Walsh couldn't contribute better than those players now?

Yes, the proof is that our other guys have 2+ years under their belt contributing at the NBA level. Walsh does not.

Just because a guy goes and signs with a different team as a FA, does not mean Walsh is better than them. By that logic, Jordan Walsh is better than Jeff Green, Bruce Brown, Fred Vanvleet, Jalen Brunson, Grant Williams, Kevin Durant, etc.

The last 10 teams to make it to the NBA finals, here's how many of them had a 2nd round pick or UDFA rookie getting rotation minutes........

The other 2nd round picks drafted in 2023 who are under the age of 22:
Julian Phillips - in G league
Rayan Rupert - in G league
Sidy Cissoko - in G league
Amari Bailey - in G league
Maxwell Lewis - in g league
Leonard Miller - in g league
GG Jackson - in G league
Emoni Bates - in G league
Chris Livingston - in g league
James Nnaji - stashed overseas
Tristan Vukcevic - stashed overseas
Mojave King - hasn't played a single NBA or G league game yet this season..
Mouhamed Gueye - hasn't played in G league yet. But I think that's only because he's injured..he's only played in 2 NBA games, and in those games he's played 2 MPG
Colby Jones - in G League (and he played 3 yrs of college ball, compared to only 1 year of college ball for Walsh)

None of these guys are on teams that are as good as the Celtics. These guys can't get minutes on the hornets, bulls or spurs yet you're constantly going nuts that Walsh isn't being spoonfed minutes on the best team in the league..

Look, I'm a Walsh guy. I've sang his praises on here plenty. I think he'll eventually help the Celtics. But this notion that he *needs* to be getting minutes right now and that he is better than half the guys on our roster is misguided, imo.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
SLCceltic
Analyst
And1: 1,836

Post#505 » by SLCceltic » Sat Dec 2, 2023 3:36 am

Give Walsh some real NBA minutes and see what happens ! I wouldn't bet against him

Maybe there is a plan to bring him up in a month or so, he can help this YEAR

I'm picturing a rookie Dee Brown giving Isaiah Thomas fits on D in POs and giving us that much needed W
ROYALGREEN
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,850

Post#506 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Dec 2, 2023 3:57 pm

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,823

Post#507 » by brackdan70 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 4:26 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

He is fast….at least by G league standards.
Glad we signed him to a legit contract
Sign here
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,999

Post#508 » by cl2117 » Sun Dec 3, 2023 5:12 pm

It makes sense to leave him in Maine for basically the entire season unless our hand gets forced by injuries or him playing so well that you gotta give him a shot.

The upside with him has always been the fact that he was pigeonholed a bit at Arkansas. In order to tap into that potential he needs the opportunity to explore a larger role, which is something he's only going to get in Maine. Let him stay up there and be more than just the stand in the corner 3&D wing that he'd be asked to be with the big ball club and see if he develops a wider skillset.

We've already got a veteran wing for every occasion: Hauser for shooting, Oshae for size/energy, Svi for playmaking, Stevens for defense and Banton as a wildcard with a fairly similar physical profile as Walsh.

All of those guys, outside of Hauser, don't even figure to fit into the regular playoff rotation if we're healthy so I doubt Walsh would manage to crack it anyway given how raw he is.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#509 » by playa-hater » Sun Dec 3, 2023 6:35 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Perhaps. But we have no proof that this is true. Everyone else on the roster has actually proven themselves at the NBA level for 2+ seasons. Walsh has played 0 NBA games and is a 19 year old 2nd round pick. The other 2nd round picks who are under the age of 22 are also playing in the G league now (Julian Phillips, Rayan Rupert, Sidy Cissoko, Maxwell Lewis, GG Jackson, Amari Bailey, etc.).

Even quite a few 1st round picks are playing G league (Taylor Hendricks, Noah Clowney, Jett Howard, Cam Whitmore, Brice Sensabaugh, etc.)

Proven what?? that they all were nothing more than players that their original teams didn't even want to resign??

Do you have "proof" that Walsh couldn't contribute better than those players now?

Yes, the proof is that our other guys have 2+ years under their belt contributing at the NBA level. Walsh does not.

Just because a guy goes and signs with a different team as a FA, does not mean Walsh is better than them. By that logic, Jordan Walsh is better than Jeff Green, Bruce Brown, Fred Vanvleet, Jalen Brunson, Grant Williams, Kevin Durant, etc.

The last 10 teams to make it to the NBA finals, here's how many of them had a 2nd round pick or UDFA rookie getting rotation minutes........

GG Jackson - in G league
Mouhamed Gueye - hasn't played in G league yet. But I think that's only because he's injured..he's only played in 2 NBA games, and in those games he's played 2 MPG
Colby Jones - in G League (and he played 3 yrs of college ball, compared to only 1 year of college ball for Walsh)

None of these guys are on teams that are as good as the Celtics. These guys can't get minutes on the hornets, bulls or spurs yet you're constantly going nuts that Walsh isn't being spoonfed minutes on the best team in the league..

Look, I'm a Walsh guy. I've sang his praises on here plenty. I think he'll eventually help the Celtics. But this notion that he *needs* to be getting minutes right now and that he is better than half the guys on our roster is misguided, imo.

The Bold is the exact opposite of what the current best coach in BB does.. Spo forever puts in Non "proven" by your assertion, players with little to No NBA experience. Imagine Spo Using your logic. Jaquez would be in the G League while Miami would have signed some minimum level NBA players from some other team's end of the roster because they are "proven" in the NBA.

I know the Best coach, maybe, in all of BB IMO. Jay Wright preaches that if you have a young talented but inexperienced player (in his case a college freshman) you still play him.. allow him to make mistakes, but give him that valuable game time experience, Show him REAl support "he will be ready much earlier". So many players on any level, mention that one of the biggest reasons for early success is the way their coaches put faith in them. Allow them to play and NOT have to look over their shoulder.

I may not be proven, But Jay Wright has constantly and continuously taken less than All American level players other schools get and wins.. He is a master of Psychology. So is Spo and their "Heat Culture".. Much of their coaching is Not A Typical." Perhaps way too many sheep follow the "normal" method.

At minimum, it looks like Walsh has borderline Elite talent. And he is already doing more things that just shoot and/or score. Maybe I don't have proof. But my Gut says he can contribute right now more than the players I have mentioned already.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,450

Post#510 » by 31to6 » Sun Dec 3, 2023 7:15 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

He is fast….at least by G league standards.
Glad we signed him to a legit contract

DO LIKE
his other plays could be terrible and there's still so much to work with here.
his wingspan alone gets me more excited than I'd like to talk about;)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#511 » by playa-hater » Sun Dec 3, 2023 9:02 pm

BTW since I am always comparing Walsh to A Iguodala, Iggy started all 82 games for the Sixers in his rookie year. Playing 32 min per on a playoff level team. It definitely worked out for them.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#512 » by Parliament10 » Sun Dec 3, 2023 9:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
cl2117
General Manager

Post#513 » by cl2117 » Sun Dec 3, 2023 9:59 pm

playa-hater wrote:BTW since I am always comparing Walsh to A Iguodala, Iggy started all 82 games for the Sixers in his rookie year. Playing 32 min per on a playoff level team. It definitely worked out for them.

Iggy played two years in college and ended up being a top 10 pick. Jaime Jacquez was a 4 year starter at UCLA. Walsh played 36 games in college, started only 22 of them and was mainly a key roleplayer for his Arkansas team which is why he was a 2nd round pick.

I'm really high on Walsh, but the kid is gonna be super raw and there just aren't enough minutes for him with the Celtics if you genuinely want to develop him. If you wanted to force feed him minutes, it's gonna be at the expense of Hauser for the most part and I don't think that's in our best interest for this season or his development.

Edit: in fairness I guess you could feed him Pritchard's minutes instead given our guard depth which I'd have less of a problem with for this season but even still he'd be put in a box with the Celtics. Given his rawness, I still think he's better off being given a broader remit in Maine.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,405

Post#514 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sun Dec 3, 2023 10:15 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

GG Jackson - in G league

The Bold is the exact opposite of what the current best coach in BB does.. Spo forever puts in Non "proven" by your assertion, players with little to No NBA experience. Imagine Spo Using your logic. Jaquez would be in the G League while Miami would have signed some minimum level NBA players from some other team's end of the roster because they are "proven" in the NBA.

I know the Best coach, maybe, in all of BB IMO. Jay Wright preaches that if you have a young talented but inexperienced player (in his case a college freshman) you still play him.. allow him to make mistakes, but give him that valuable game time experience, Show him REAl support "he will be ready much earlier". So many players on any level, mention that one of the biggest reasons for early success is the way their coaches put faith in them. Allow them to play and NOT have to look over their shoulder.

I may not be proven, But Jay Wright has constantly and continuously taken less than All American level players other schools get and wins.. He is a master of Psychology. So is Spo and their "Heat Culture".. Much of their coaching is Not A Typical." Perhaps way too many sheep follow the "normal" method.

At minimum, it looks like Walsh has borderline Elite talent. And he is already doing more things that just shoot and/or score. Maybe I don't have proof. But my Gut says he can contribute right now more than the players I have mentioned already.

Multiple people across multiple threads have debunked your theory that Miami just gives NBA minutes out of the gates to their prospects and certainly not to players as young and raw as Walsh. Yes there's the odd exception like Herro or Jaquez but those guys were much older than Walsh right now and they were not handed developmental minutes like you want Mazzulla to give to Walsh, they played because they were rotation level players from day 1. It's annoying when people take the time to look up the data and your answer is just dismissively regurgitating your own opinion as if it's some sort of fact.

To pile on about Spoelstra playing young guys, the last guy as young as Walsh that he gave rotation minutes to was Winslow all the way back in 2015-2016 and he was a top 10 pick not a second rounder.

playa-hater wrote:BTW since I am always comparing Walsh to A Iguodala, Iggy started all 82 games for the Sixers in his rookie year. Playing 32 min per on a playoff level team. It definitely worked out for them.

Not sure why you are always comparing a second round pick with 0 minute of NBA experience with one of the best wings of the 2010s but please stop. It's just a cringeworthy take at this point.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,747

Post#515 » by return2glory » Sun Dec 3, 2023 10:48 pm

Well he isn't going to get minutes here this season. Coach Tibs, I mean coach Mazzulla isn't going to use his bench other than go 8 deep. Guys like Brissett, Stevens and Svi can't touch the floor. We have the starters and Al, Hauser and Pritchard off the bench. That's it. Kornett or Queta get to play a little when KP or Al are out. Banton gets a few minutes if Jrue or White are out.

Keep Walsh in Maine for a full year. Let him get his reps in.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#516 » by Parliament10 » Sun Dec 3, 2023 11:05 pm

return2glory wrote:

Well he isn't going to get minutes here this season. Coach Tibs, I mean coach Mazzulla isn't going to use his bench other than go 8 deep. Guys like Brissett, Stevens and Svi can't touch the floor. We have the starters and Al, Hauser and Pritchard off the bench. That's it. Kornett or Queta get to play a little when KP or Al are out. Banton gets a few minutes if Jrue or White are out.

Keep Walsh in Maine for a full year. Let him get his reps in.

Totally Agree. Let Walsh develop in Maine, for this year.
He can fight his way onto the Big Squad, starting in the Summer League, 2024.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#517 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 4, 2023 2:59 am

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

GG Jackson - in G league

Multiple people across multiple threads have debunked your theory that Miami just gives NBA minutes out of the gates to their prospects and certainly not to players as young and raw as Walsh. Yes there's the odd exception like Herro or Jaquez but those guys were much older than Walsh right now and they were not handed developmental minutes like you want Mazzulla to give to Walsh, they played because they were rotation level players from day 1. It's annoying when people take the time to look up the data and your answer is just dismissively regurgitating your own opinion as if it's some sort of fact.

To pile on about Spoelstra playing young guys, the last guy as young as Walsh that he gave rotation minutes to was Winslow all the way back in 2015-2016 and he was a top 10 pick not a second rounder.

Not sure why you are always comparing a second round pick with 0 minute of NBA experience with one of the best wings of the 2010s but please stop. It's just a cringeworthy take at this point.

No cringeworthy is claiming your Facts and yet dismissing my facts. How many seasons in the NBA did players Max Strus have before playing steady minutes and/or starting? (2 games)..D Robinson (15 games) Kendrick Nunn (ZERO) Gabe Vincent (9 games) Hayward Highsmith (10 games) Dru Smith (30 games) Rookie 2nd rd Omer Yurtseven (Zero previous NBA experience yet 56 games played 12 starts) 1 year removed from college Tyler Herro (Zero games NBA experience) and now current rookie JJJ (also no Previous NBA experience).. That's 66 games of NBA experience for 9 different players to date going back a few years.

NOT EVEN 1 SEASON COMBINED EXPERIENCE!

Yet Miami beat us twice to get to the Title rd with many of these Hardly "Proven" NBA players.

Last year was what?? 7 undrafted players playing?? Is that NOT a fact??

And secondly my response was to Hal and his players with 2+ NBA seasons as "Proven" vs Players who don't have Much/none NBA experience yet.

So Your only argument is the Age factor. Which is not even what I am arguing with Hal about.

Still no one replied to my comment by our trading Desmond Bane, pick 30, for whatever "Proven" NBA player Boston ended up with in his roster spot. Too young they said.. No playing time they said.

Good thing Boston didn't draft 18 year old Giannis. Too many Proven players who were older and/or available to play.

And comparing Walsh to Iggy has all to do with similar abilities NOT where they were drafted. I mean 4 of the last 5 MVPs were drafted 15 and 41.. Walsh was 38th.. So your rebuttal on Iggy/Walsh was actually even more cringeworthy. Unless your crystal Ball says Walsh can't become as good as Iggy.

Meanwhile If my stances are "Cringeworthy" to you then just Ignore. So now that I have "Debunked" your theory about my theory, go regurgitate to Hal, because I don't really give a ****!
cl2117
General Manager

Post#518 » by cl2117 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 10:44 am

playa-hater wrote:No cringeworthy is claiming your Facts and yet dismissing my facts. How many seasons in the NBA did players Max Strus have before playing steady minutes and/or starting? (2 games)..D Robinson (15 games) Kendrick Nunn (ZERO) Gabe Vincent (9 games) Hayward Highsmith (10 games) Dru Smith (30 games) Rookie 2nd rd Omer Yurtseven (Zero previous NBA experience yet 56 games played 12 starts) 1 year removed from college Tyler Herro (Zero games NBA experience) and now current rookie JJJ (also no Previous NBA experience).. That's 66 games of NBA experience for 9 different players to date going back a few years.

NOT EVEN 1 SEASON COMBINED EXPERIENCE!

Yet Miami beat us twice to get to the Title rd with many of these Hardly "Proven" NBA players.

Last year was what?? 7 undrafted players playing?? Is that NOT a fact??

And secondly my response was to Hal and his players with 2+ NBA seasons as "Proven" vs Players who don't have Much/none NBA experience yet.

So Your only argument is the Age factor. Which is not even what I am arguing with Hal about.

Still no one replied to my comment by our trading Desmond Bane, pick 30, for whatever "Proven" NBA player Boston ended up with in his roster spot. Too young they said.. No playing time they said.

Good thing Boston didn't draft 18 year old Giannis. Too many Proven players who were older and/or available to play.

And comparing Walsh to Iggy has all to do with similar abilities NOT where they were drafted. I mean 4 of the last 5 MVPs were drafted 15 and 41.. Walsh was 38th.. So your rebuttal on Iggy/Walsh was actually even more cringeworthy. Unless your crystal Ball says Walsh can't become as good as Iggy.

Meanwhile If my stances are "Cringeworthy" to you then just Ignore. So now that I have "Debunked" your theory about my theory, go regurgitate to Hal, because I don't really give a ****!

I appreciate your original argument was in reference to guys having 2+ years NBA experience vs. guys who have little to none, but I have to point out that every guy outside of Herro that you've listed from Miami was a 4 year college player.

Now in fairness, not all of them played with big name schools the entire time (or at all, some even started in DII), nor were they all starters the whole time so to an extent I think you can say not all of it equates to playing big minutes for an elite college team, but ultimately they logged a ton more minutes and were significantly older than Walsh is. That's why they were better positioned to come in and contribute right out of the gate and gain Spo's trust quicker. A 22 year old who has played 120+ games is just going to process things way quicker than a 19 year old with 36 under his belt.

If Walsh is the exception to the rule and processing things at a much faster rate than you'd expect, the Maine coaches will still be able to identify that and maybe he eventually gets a shot. I don't think you're stunting him by letting him get more reps against lesser competition, when his playing time would inevitably be erratic with the C's when fully healthy.

And just for context here were my thoughts on Bane in the Nesmith draft thread:
I understand why we made that trade, but I still absolutely hate it. Felt like terrible value just in terms of the draft capital changing hands, but it was just salt in the wound that Bane is the guy who was available there. Another 4 year guy who's ready to contribute out of the gate, but who I think still has upside beyond that. Danny should have made room for him.

He was a 4 year guy who was a sharpshooter all throughout college, looked ready to contribute from day 1. We shouldn't have passed on that for veteran fodder (Kanter essentially). Still pisses me off that we did.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,510

Post#519 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Dec 4, 2023 3:09 pm

I'll be shocked if Walsh gets any meaningful minutes in Boston this year unless the Celtics have injuries.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,225

Post#520 » by Dogen » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:37 pm

playa-hater wrote:

Now, bringing this up as part of any argument is border-line cruelty! :(

Been trying to forget how excited I was that Danny actually traded up to get Giannis for over 8 years.

Nevertheless, valid point. Walsh is going to be a stud, imo, and I'd like to see him get some RS minutes this season rather than next, even though he's still a bit raw.
Throw it in the corner... Brown fakes, fires up a three... BANG!!! BANG!!! :D

Return to Boston Celtics