ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Jordan Walsh!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,384

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jordan Walsh! 

Post#521 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:41 pm

playa-hater wrote:Good thing Boston didn't draft 18 year old Giannis. Too many Proven players who were older and/or available to play.

Good grief..now we're even comparing Walsh to Giannis :crazy:

Next you're gonna tell us that Walsh should be getting minutes right away as a rookie because LeBron did.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,274

Post#522 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 4, 2023 6:54 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Good thing Boston didn't draft 18 year old Giannis. Too many Proven players who were older and/or available to play.

Next you're gonna tell us that Walsh should be getting minutes right away as a rookie because LeBron did.

Please stop.. No one's comparing Walsh to Giannis in ability.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,405

Post#523 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 8:15 pm

playa-hater wrote:No cringeworthy is claiming your Facts and yet dismissing my facts. How many seasons in the NBA did players Max Strus have before playing steady minutes and/or starting? (2 games)..D Robinson (15 games) Kendrick Nunn (ZERO) Gabe Vincent (9 games) Hayward Highsmith (10 games) Dru Smith (30 games) Rookie 2nd rd Omer Yurtseven (Zero previous NBA experience yet 56 games played 12 starts) 1 year removed from college Tyler Herro (Zero games NBA experience) and now current rookie JJJ (also no Previous NBA experience).. That's 66 games of NBA experience for 9 different players to date going back a few years.

NOT EVEN 1 SEASON COMBINED EXPERIENCE!

Yet Miami beat us twice to get to the Title rd with many of these Hardly "Proven" NBA players.

Last year was what?? 7 undrafted players playing?? Is that NOT a fact??

And secondly my response was to Hal and his players with 2+ NBA seasons as "Proven" vs Players who don't have Much/none NBA experience yet.

So Your only argument is the Age factor. Which is not even what I am arguing with Hal about.

Apart from Herro all those guys had years and years of college and/or pro ball before Miami inserted them into their rotation which is reflected in the fact that they didn't crack a NBA rotation before turning 23 (or even 24 or 25 in some cases). If you can't understand the difference with Walsh's situation you are being willfully obtuse. What the Heat do with all their prospects is send them to the G-League full time to work on their game until they are ready for a stable 15+ minutes a night rotation role. Some like Herro, Bam and Jaquez are ready day 1, some take a year like Robinson and some like Vincent take even longer.

So if you want Boston to develop Walsh like Miami does it with their prospects, you should have no problems with him being in the G-league full time unless of course you think he is already ready to play for 15+ minutes in this rotation. In which case I'll ask you why you believe a guy that was a part time starter for a mediocre college team a few months ago suddenly made the leap to crack the rotation of the best basketball team on the planet ?

playa-hater wrote:Still no one replied to my comment by our trading Desmond Bane, pick 30, for whatever "Proven" NBA player Boston ended up with in his roster spot. Too young they said.. No playing time they said.

Nobody answered to your Bane comment because it's not relevant to the discussion at hand and it's also a gross misrepresentation of what happened. The Celtics traded away the 30th pick in the draft for cap relief. Whomever Memphis ended taking with that pick didn't factor into the Celtics decision (good on the Grizzlies for nailing that selection). There's also zero guarantee that even if they had kept the pick the Celtics would have selected Bane as well.

If you want to critize Ainge for putting himself in a position where he felt he had to trade first round pick to dump Kanter's salary, it's valid. In fact I agree. But the choice as you put between Bane and whatever "proven" NBA player took his roster spot was never on the table.

Another strawman argument. Nobody here is arguing against drafting young, raw players that have a high ceiling. What we are talking about is how to develop prospects (Jordan Walsh specifically) once they are on the roster.

playa-hater wrote:And comparing Walsh to Iggy has all to do with similar abilities NOT where they were drafted. I mean 4 of the last 5 MVPs were drafted 15 and 41.. Walsh was 38th.. So your rebuttal on Iggy/Walsh was actually even more cringeworthy. Unless your crystal Ball says Walsh can't become as good as Iggy.

Meanwhile If my stances are "Cringeworthy" to you then just Ignore. So now that I have "Debunked" your theory about my theory, go regurgitate to Hal, because I don't really give a ****!

Why on earth would you think they have similar abilities ? I don't get it, explain it to me like five years old. I don't have a crystal ball so I have no idea how Walsh will turn out but if you can't see why it might be wildly premature to compare him with a guy that has a borderline hall of fame case, I really can't help you.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#524 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 4, 2023 9:37 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:No cringeworthy is claiming your Facts and yet dismissing my facts. How many seasons in the NBA did players Max Strus have before playing steady minutes and/or starting? (2 games)..D Robinson (15 games) Kendrick Nunn (ZERO) Gabe Vincent (9 games) Hayward Highsmith (10 games) Dru Smith (30 games) Rookie 2nd rd Omer Yurtseven (Zero previous NBA experience yet 56 games played 12 starts) 1 year removed from college Tyler Herro (Zero games NBA experience) and now current rookie JJJ (also no Previous NBA experience).. That's 66 games of NBA experience for 9 different players to date going back a few years.

NOT EVEN 1 SEASON COMBINED EXPERIENCE!

Yet Miami beat us twice to get to the Title rd with many of these Hardly "Proven" NBA players.

Last year was what?? 7 undrafted players playing?? Is that NOT a fact??

And secondly my response was to Hal and his players with 2+ NBA seasons as "Proven" vs Players who don't have Much/none NBA experience yet.

So Your only argument is the Age factor. Which is not even what I am arguing with Hal about.

Apart from Herro all those guys had years and years of college and/or pro ball before Miami inserted them into their rotation which is reflected in the fact that they didn't crack a NBA rotation before turning 23 (or even 24 or 25 in some cases). If you can't understand the difference with Walsh's situation you are being willfully obtuse. What the Heat do with all their prospects is send them to the G-League full time to work on their game until they are ready for a stable 15+ minutes a night rotation role. Some like Herro, Bam and Jaquez are ready day 1, some take a year like Robinson and some like Vincent take even longer.

So if you want Boston to develop Walsh like Miami does it with their prospects, you should have no problems with him being in the G-league full time unless of course you think he is already ready to play for 15+ minutes in this rotation. In which case I'll ask you why you believe a guy that was a part time starter for a mediocre college team a few months ago suddenly made the leap to crack the rotation of the best basketball team on the planet ?

playa-hater wrote:Still no one replied to my comment by our trading Desmond Bane, pick 30, for whatever "Proven" NBA player Boston ended up with in his roster spot. Too young they said.. No playing time they said.

Nobody answered to your Bane comment because it's not relevant to the discussion at hand and it's also a gross misrepresentation of what happened. The Celtics traded away the 30th pick in the draft for cap relief. Whomever Memphis ended taking with that pick didn't factor into the Celtics decision (good on the Grizzlies for nailing that selection). There's also zero guarantee that even if they had kept the pick the Celtics would have selected Bane as well.

If you want to critize Ainge for putting himself in a position where he felt he had to trade first round pick to dump Kanter's salary, it's valid. In fact I agree. But the choice as you put between Bane and whatever "proven" NBA player took his roster spot was never on the table.

Another strawman argument. Nobody here is arguing against drafting young, raw players that have a high ceiling. What we are talking about is how to develop prospects (Jordan Walsh specifically) once they are on the roster.

playa-hater wrote:And comparing Walsh to Iggy has all to do with similar abilities NOT where they were drafted. I mean 4 of the last 5 MVPs were drafted 15 and 41.. Walsh was 38th.. So your rebuttal on Iggy/Walsh was actually even more cringeworthy. Unless your crystal Ball says Walsh can't become as good as Iggy.

Meanwhile If my stances are "Cringeworthy" to you then just Ignore. So now that I have "Debunked" your theory about my theory, go regurgitate to Hal, because I don't really give a ****!

Why on earth would you think they have similar abilities ? I don't get it, explain it to me like five years old. I don't have a crystal ball so I have no idea how Walsh will turn out but if you can't see why it might be wildly premature to compare him with a guy that has a borderline hall of fame case, I really can't help you.

If I have to explain to you Walsh's abilities and how it's similar in potential at least to Iggy is, then it literally is like I am an explaining it to a five Y.O

Edit - I will give it a shot anyway.. In comparing Walsh to Iggy, I am using young Iggy and his abilities/potential to Walsh and his young abilities/potential. Not comparing Walsh to the Finished and retired Product.

Walsh and Iggy both are/were very similar in size, length and athleticism. They both share a great desire, aggressiveness and perhaps instinct to play defense. Edge may go to Iggy as a straight up defender. Walsh's ability to play and anticipate the passing lanes seems as advanced early on. Iggy eventually became a respectable knock down shooter. Walsh at this time does shoot with techniques that appear to be sound and certainly in the same category as young Iggy who also was not a known "true" shooter. Iggy seemed like a better slasher but Walsh has shown quite a bit of variety with his scoring. Though Walsh is only 19 he does already appear to be a deadly runner and finisher on the break like Iggy was. Might even give Walsh the edge as a play-maker. At minimum he is showing that skill set more than anyone anticipated.

Pertaining to your question on why Walsh was a "part time starter for a mediocre college team", my recollection is Arkansas was a ranked team but that doesn't really matter in this argument. Pat Williams never started for Florida St yet went high lottery Why? Why did Brandin Podziemski go 19 to GS from Santa Clara yet a year earlier couldn't barely get time for much higher rated Illinois?? Why did 18 year old Reggie Lewis never start a game for HS and yet ended up having a better career than all his higher rated teammates?? There are many more but they came first to mind.

Perhaps beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Simply put I believe in Walsh's short term mainly and long term abilities more than others. So be it.

Any other reply I make to the other comments really would lead to circular debate in which I have already grown weary. Really nothing else to say on this subject.
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,858

Post#525 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Dec 5, 2023 12:15 am

Walsh is not nba ready lmfao, what are we doing here? Because the Heat hit on 1 out of every 6 random older, but inexperienced guys that they play? Okay lol.

Walsh is not physically capable yet. He’d foul out of every game in 6 minutes, and lose his confidence.

Let’s stick him in the corner here for 6 minutes a game, as opposed to letting him work on all aspects of his game in the g league.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,240

Post#526 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Dec 8, 2023 4:43 am

Read on Twitter

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#527 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:29 pm

Read on Twitter
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,768

Post#528 » by 165bows » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:04 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Did he actually break that one dude’s ankles there?

I know it’s a saying and all but…
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,405

Post#529 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:16 pm

165bows wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Did he actually break that one dude’s ankles there?

I know it’s a saying and all but…

Knight stepped on the defender's ankle while trying to get out of the way but the refs missed it (to be fair so did I the first time) but we live in a post truth society and your interpretation is more fun so let's go with your version.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,915

Post#530 » by Kalela » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:21 am

How do people decide a guy who has never played in a regular season NBA game outside of maybe garbage time is not NBA ready? I don't mind what the Celtics are doing with Walsh but he has shown in the G League he is a very good player and will show that in time whether is it is later this season or next season. One thing I know for certain is if a coach like Brad Stevens was coaching this team, Walsh would have already played a lot of minutes with the first team. Brad wasn't afraid to throw rookies in there and allow them develop through their mistakes.
Fire Mazzulla
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,999

Post#531 » by cl2117 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:27 pm

This was interesting:
Read on Twitter

Given Boston's loaded roster and his youth, they opted to give him experience playing nightly in Maine, and after 10 games, the Celtics are shifting his focus from the aggressive offensive approach many NBA players take in the minors into a role more reminiscent of what he'll eventually play in Boston. They're also stressing patience.

I thought the real benefit of playing in Maine was the fact that he could play more aggressively/freely and potentially develop a broader skillset, but shifting his focus into the role he'd inevitably play with the NBA suggests they might see a real chance for him to contribute sooner rather than later.

I assume he's not NBA ready because 99% of all 2nd rounders aren't NBA ready, but with his length/athleticism and the rest of our teams ability to score, it does make me wonder whether he could be a sneaky asset. The real question is whether he'd foul out in under 10 minutes or if he could actually hold his own, but would be interesting to see that play out at some stage this year.

A lineup of Jrue/ Jaylen/ Jayson/ Jordan and KP would be pretty stifling defensively and still have plenty of offensive punch (again assuming Walsh can avoid fouling out).
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#532 » by KillahGhostface » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:36 pm

Kalela wrote:How do people decide a guy who has never played in a regular season NBA game outside of maybe garbage time is not NBA ready? I don't mind what the Celtics are doing with Walsh but he has shown in the G League he is a very good player and will show that in time whether is it is later this season or next season. One thing I know for certain is if a coach like Brad Stevens was coaching this team, Walsh would have already played a lot of minutes with the first team. Brad wasn't afraid to throw rookies in there and allow them develop through their mistakes.

Because he can’t shoot, and his frame isn’t ready, which is why the Celtics are telling everyone to be patient.

Also, it’s funny that people say “Brad would have played him”, considering all he’s done since taking over is infinitely reducing the number of young players on the roster. He played them because Danny started to struggle with building a real nba rotation, and Brad had no choice.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,677

Post#533 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:29 pm

Kalela wrote:How do people decide a guy who has never played in a regular season NBA game outside of maybe garbage time is not NBA ready? I don't mind what the Celtics are doing with Walsh but he has shown in the G League he is a very good player and will show that in time whether is it is later this season or next season. One thing I know for certain is if a coach like Brad Stevens was coaching this team, Walsh would have already played a lot of minutes with the first team. Brad wasn't afraid to throw rookies in there and allow them develop through their mistakes.

Brad never coached a team with the depth and title favouritism we currently have.

This team right now is not in a position to be giving some second round rookie 15-20 minutes a game.

Walsh will probably end up spending a year in the G-League like Hauser and then being more NBA ready a year later.

Unless a couple of injuries pop up and they decide to give some guys some burn.

I think some of you are severely underrating how hard it is for a rookie to come in and play defence on an elite defensive team. Even veterans who struggle defensively have some idea because they’ve spent multiple seasons coached in the NBA system.

If Walsh was an elite 3 point shooter he’d probably get 5-10 minutes from game to game but he isn’t.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#534 » by KillahGhostface » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:20 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:

Brad never coached a team with the depth and title favouritism we currently have.

This team right now is not in a position to be giving some second round rookie 15-20 minutes a game.

Walsh will probably end up spending a year in the G-League like Hauser and then being more NBA ready a year later.

Unless a couple of injuries pop up and they decide to give some guys some burn.

I think some of you are severely underrating how hard it is for a rookie to come in and play defence on an elite defensive team. Even veterans who struggle defensively have some idea because they’ve spent multiple seasons coached in the NBA system.

If Walsh was an elite 3 point shooter he’d probably get 5-10 minutes from game to game but he isn’t.

He would 100% foul out of every game in less than 10 minutes, miss his threes, and lose his confidence.

What exactly is the rush to play him? Team is rolling everyone, and that’s with multiple guys playing below their level.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,108

Post#535 » by sam_I_am » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:47 pm

I think Walsh has a shot to carve out a role with the team by February as we have seen with talented rookies in past seasons. His physical profile is exactly what this team needs off the bench for a 9th or 10th guy. His ability to finish above the rim through contact really stands out. It comes down to his lability to defend at NBA level and developing a passable corner 3. There is no rush to make it happen this year or next. He still looks raw at times but his improvements are happening at a fast pace and that is very encouraging.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,108

Post#536 » by sam_I_am » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:47 pm

I think Walsh has a shot to carve out a role with the team by February as we have seen with talented rookies in past seasons. His physical profile is exactly what this team needs off the bench for a 9th or 10th guy. His ability to finish above the rim through contact really stands out. It comes down to his lability to defend at NBA level and developing a passable corner 3. There is no rush to make it happen this year or next. He still looks raw at times but his improvements are happening at a fast pace and that is very encouraging.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#537 » by playa-hater » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:05 pm

As the President of Jordan Walsh fan club and fanatic, I will add that whether he stays in the G-League or Comes up early he will be a real player one day. Happy for that no matter what.

Still say Jordan's adjustment to Big league play would be faster than many are giving credit for. Regardless, since I can't control his eventual promotion or not or can not change any one's mind, I am no longer going to try.

Like General Custard "I will Die on this Hill"
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,384

Post#538 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:37 pm

The metrics I'm looking for to know if he's ready..

3pt % - ideally he's got it around 35% or higher. Keep in mind, the competition is much worse in G league. Most of the guys are in that league because they can't defend well enough to play in the NBA. That's why most of the final scores are like 153-118 or whatever. So the 3 FG% a guy has in G league, you can knock a few % points off that and it's about what he'd shoot in the NBA.

Assist to turnover ratio - I'm not asking for much, just that he doesn't have more turnovers than assists.

Fouls - he's been known to be kind of foul prone in college and in summer league. Ideally he gets his fouls per 36 mins under 4. Under 3.5 would be better..under 3 would be awesome (but probably not realistic and you might not even want it under 3 because then he's probably not being aggressive enough on D and being aggressive/disruptive on D is a selling point with him)

How are we doing right now (through 12 G league games) with each stat?

3 FG%: 30.2%
assist to turnover: 28 assists, 26 turnovers
Fouls per 36 mins: 4.1

The assist to turnover ratio is great but it's not terrible. It's acceptable, imo. If he was better in the other 2 areas, I'd say go ahead and give him some playing time now. But he's not. 30% from 3 and like I said above, that's vs weak competition, it'd likely be a bit lower in the NBA. Remember, he was about 27% from 3 in college last season and was not a good shooter the year before that in HS or EYBL either. There's nothing wrong with taking this first year as a development year in the G league, work on each of these 3 areas, play SL next year and compete for some mins next season..

There no need to rush it with giving him mins right away. We have best record in the league. We've got our top 6 set in stone, Hauser has emerged as a really solid 7th man. Pritchard 8th man, Kornet 9th.

At best Walsh could compete for mins as the 10th man, but what's the point in rushing it with Walsh if he would only be the 10th man at best? You don't win or lose a championship based on how good your 10th/11th man is. Your top 7 or (maybe) 8 guys is what it comes down to.

Would he develop faster in G league or NBA? That's debatable. Playa Hater obviously thinks NBA. But you could make a case that playing 30 mins a night, getting lots of shots up (to work on his shooting) is better than maybe playing 8-10 MPG and getting a DNP when we have our guys healthy is better for his long term development.

It matters less what's best for Walsh..it matters more what is best for the team in terms of winning banner 18. And we have no definitive proof that Walsh getting 10th/11th man mins instead of Banton/Stevens/Brissett/Svi/Queta would get us any closer to a banner.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,776

Post#539 » by Shak_Celts » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:13 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Yes. And?
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#540 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics