ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,132

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Discussing Extension) 

Post#741 » by RickyDizzle » Sun Oct 8, 2023 9:14 pm

bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
Think about it this way:

After extending Jrue, will they shell out almost $30 M. for White?

$7.5 M. average salary is still not a lot to acquire anything of quality, especially when you can't aggregate up
contracts when over the 2nd Apron.

If White is back to being a 3rd guard, they might be better using his value and salary to acquire a young, quality Big
and have Pritch as the 3rd guard.

Trading White, because of his value and salary, opens up a lot more possibilities for bringing in, someone who can have an
impact.

Someone that can have impact, near d whites salary, like for example... Derrick White.

Actually better than White, since you'll have First Round Picks to package with him.

I'm still not totally on board with giving up 2 good players and 2 first rounders for an aging Holiday... Derrick White is the reason they could trade Smart for Porzingis. At some point we've got to roll with what we have and keep the moves to just the perimeter edges of the roster. Holiday, white, brown, Tatum, and porzingis, the likely starting 5, should stay for a while and the picks could be used with bench players to get better bench players.

Long story short, call me skeptical that White plus picks for another player is likely to help us in the long run.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,466

Post#742 » by chrisab123 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 9:33 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
Someone that can have impact, near d whites salary, like for example... Derrick White.

Actually better than White, since you'll have First Round Picks to package with him.

I'm still not totally on board with giving up 2 good players and 2 first rounders for an aging Holiday... Derrick White is the reason they could trade Smart for Porzingis. At some point we've got to roll with what we have and keep the moves to just the perimeter edges of the roster. Holiday, white, brown, Tatum, and porzingis, the likely starting 5, should stay for a while and the picks could be used with bench players to get better bench players.

Long story short, call me skeptical that White plus picks for another player is likely to help us in the long run.

If you believe that GSW will be good this year and Tatum will be here long term then there's no real risk with those picks. Remember the Derrick White trade? Everyone was losing their minds over 2 picks Richardson and Langford? How many times over would the Celtics do that trade? Every...Single...Time. The people who call Jrue, Marcus 2.0 are lazy.

Rolling it back every year hasn't worked with this group. Lets do something different.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,921

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$30M) 

Post#743 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 9:34 pm

The Kid deserves it. Pritchard did well for us in the Playoffs, the first 2 times.
He's short, but somewhat versatile, and a Shooter.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,012

Post#744 » by Joshyjess » Sun Oct 8, 2023 9:50 pm

Congrats Payday!!!! Hope this contract forces Joe to actually give the kid more play time.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,191

Post#745 » by chakdaddy » Sun Oct 8, 2023 10:51 pm

Seems like a good contract to lock up a solid backup / borderline rotation guy.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,767

Post#746 » by 165bows » Sun Oct 8, 2023 11:27 pm

Welp the big question is answered, that blew the (Gradey) Dick contract out of the water.

Thought it would be a lot closer, frankly. Pp getting paid.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#747 » by BK_2020 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 11:33 pm

Landry Shamet-tier deadweight deal. Brad Stevens' second biggest mistake after the Jaylen Brown extension.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,274

Post#748 » by playa-hater » Mon Oct 9, 2023 12:38 am

playa-hater wrote:Never mind shooting, PP's mantra, I will bet everything I own we see PP create much more aggressively than ever. bank on it!!

If there was only ONE PP Hater on here, I would let this slide. But too many Non believers better eat their crow this season!!
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,943

Post#749 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Oct 9, 2023 12:57 am

playa-hater wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Never mind shooting, PP's mantra, I will bet everything I own we see PP create much more aggressively than ever. bank on it!!

If there was only ONE PP Hater on here, I would let this slide. But too many Non believers better eat their crow this season!!

This.

Like 50 people wanted to run him outta town this offseason.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,507

Post#750 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:03 am

Very fair extension for PP.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,747

Post#751 » by return2glory » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:18 am

Pritchard did something that some of us here have known for a while. He established himself as the best player on the Boston Celtics.

All joking aside, I'm a Pritchard fan since he came out of Oregon. I felt Joe should have played him more in the playoffs last season with Brogdon hurt. Thing with Pritchard in Oregon was that he wanted to take the big shots. He could have used that last season. But oh well. He will show that this season.

See my comments on page 4 of this thread from 3 years ago. I believe in Pritchard. Glad Brad does too.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,191

Post#752 » by chakdaddy » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:19 am

chakdaddy wrote:Seems like a good contract to lock up a solid backup / borderline rotation guy.

Btw I think that's his floor, upside is still core rotation / spot starter. I've liked him since his rookie year (hated the pick at the time like everyone)
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,240

Post#753 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Oct 9, 2023 2:21 am

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#754 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Mon Oct 9, 2023 2:29 am

Read on Twitter
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#755 » by RickyDizzle » Mon Oct 9, 2023 2:37 am

chrisab123 wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

If you believe that GSW will be good this year and Tatum will be here long term then there's no real risk with those picks. Remember the Derrick White trade? Everyone was losing their minds over 2 picks Richardson and Langford? How many times over would the Celtics do that trade? Every...Single...Time. The people who call Jrue, Marcus 2.0 are lazy.

Rolling it back every year hasn't worked with this group. Lets do something different.

I hear you. The picks are just part of it though. Smart for Porzingis was a good move to switch things up, with Rob injury prone and Al old. To then give up Rob, brogdon and 2 1sts seems like a lot. Especially if resigning Jrue leads them not to extend white...
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,767

Post#757 » by 165bows » Mon Oct 9, 2023 12:56 pm

31to6 wrote:I was totally wrong on PP getting traded before getting extended.

Still get used to the new ownership mantra of LET IT RAAAIINN BI$Che$$

This is good business as long as it’s an extremely tradable contract, which it seems to be. So: hooray. Now extend White to stay in BOS please!

Ahem (cough cough).

Just settling up here :wink:
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,447

Post#758 » by 31to6 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:33 pm

165bows wrote:
31to6 wrote:I was totally wrong on PP getting traded before getting extended.

Still get used to the new ownership mantra of LET IT RAAAIINN BI$Che$$

This is good business as long as it’s an extremely tradable contract, which it seems to be. So: hooray. Now extend White to stay in BOS please!

Ahem (cough cough).

Just settling up here :wink:

You are a scholar and a gentleman. Or neither, I don’t really know, but holy crap did I lose that bet fast!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,466

Post#759 » by chrisab123 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:55 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

I hear you. The picks are just part of it though. Smart for Porzingis was a good move to switch things up, with Rob injury prone and Al old. To then give up Rob, brogdon and 2 1sts seems like a lot. Especially if resigning Jrue leads them not to extend white...

But what would lead you to believe that they won't extend White? Wyc has already said theres no spending limit and probably won't be for the next few years.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#760 » by RickyDizzle » Mon Oct 9, 2023 2:35 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

But what would lead you to believe that they won't extend White? Wyc has already said theres no spending limit and probably won't be for the next few years.

Probably still better than 50% chance they resign White, but seems like everyone has to have some spending limit. When the Js are both on super max and jrue and prozingis both 30 mil+, is the owner really going to pay another 25 mil or whatever it takes to lock up the 5th starter? I hope so as White should definitely outlast Jrue age-wise.

I just think logically, acquiring an expense former all star guard may have decreased the urgency/willingness to lock up White.

Return to Boston Celtics