ImageImageImage

Al Horford Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

DogBentley14
Ballboy
And1: 6

Re: With Horford expiring, what's our future 'big' solution? 

Post#81 » by DogBentley14 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:28 pm

I was hoping they would draft Mark Williams from Duke but the Cs lost their first rounder, sadly.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,378

Post#82 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:21 pm

DogBentley14 wrote:I was hoping they would draft Mark Williams from Duke but the Cs lost their first rounder, sadly.

wouldn't really make sense to draft mark williams after we extended rob for 4 more years. we wouldn't have been able to play mark and rob at the same time. Plus, our pick would've been the 24th pick and mark is probably gonna be gone by then anyways.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,919

Post#83 » by Parliament10 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:17 am

sam_I_am wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
snowman wrote:Regardless of how the playoffs end, guarantee Horford's contract for the upcoming year and sign him to a 2 year (1+1) for 10 mill per. Keep him beside Timelord in the starting rotation. Sign Grant to a 4-year deal this summer, or when he becomes eligible, at bench big money. (7-9 mil per year) Keep Theis of course. With all that being said, the big we should be looking to upgrade is Kornet. With Horfords age and Timelords injury history (although both have had great years health wise compared to what was expected at the beginning of the year) we need a 5th big to develop, so if one of our four goes down, we have someone to step in. I don't see Grant of Theis as full-time starters but really good fill ins when needed. Sign a Euro big, draft a project big in the 2nd round of the draft, or trade a future 1st and use one of the 200 (j/k) TPE's we have or something. I really like Kornet...on the Maine Celtics, but not on the big boy team.

a 5th big? Most teams don't have that many bigs. The ones that do, I can guarantee Kornet is as good (if not better) than any of them.

Kornet is better than the sixers 2nd big, Deandre Jordan..

We actually could use a starting PF/C to replace Al as he ages out. Theis/Grant is solid for now while Al is playing at this level and assuming RW is healthy enough to play full time.

Yes, Agreed. We need to find (and/or train) a replacement for Horford, if that's even possible.
Grant and Theis are Great in their Roles, as 6th-Men types. But, we'll need another Starter Quality Big, eventually.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,195

Post#84 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:38 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Let's get Horford off this list.
zoyathedestroya wrote:Horford moving up the list of players with most playoff games but no title. 5th among active players.

Gotta win one (or four) in green!

That could entail keeping Chris Paul on it. :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,378

Post#85 » by Hal14 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:56 am

Brad, I'm begging you to bring this guy in for a tryout this offseason.

25 years old. 6'11", 232 lbs with a 7'3" wingspan and shooting 41.5% from 3 on 3.2 attempts a game.

The next Al Horford?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,068

Post#86 » by 1st banana » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:10 am

Hal14 wrote:Brad, I'm begging you to bring this guy in for a tryout this offseason.

25 years old. 6'11", 232 lbs with a 7'3" wingspan and shooting 41.5% from 3 on 3.2 attempts a game.

The next Al Horford?

Wow I’m in, **** the off-season fly his ass in here tonight.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,107

Post#87 » by sam_I_am » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:41 pm

1st banana wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Brad, I'm begging you to bring this guy in for a tryout this offseason.

The next Al Horford?

Wow I’m in, **** the off-season fly his ass in here tonight.

Is he really 25? He looks more like 38 in the lower picture.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,285

Post#88 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:05 am

Per the wiretap Brogdon is likely to be traded in the off season as the Pacers look to enter a rebuilding mode. Perhaps trading for him and moving Tatum back to PF is the real big solution here.

At the moment it's pretty key for our defense to have guards that are big enough to switch all over the place and Brogdon is one of those rare guards at 6'5" and 230 pounds that is also able to drop dimes (5aspg career average) and be an elite shooter (46% fg 37%3 88% FT career averages).

So he should fit into our defense, can play off or on ball, and should help make it so Jaylen Brown won't be responsible for playmaking unless by play design. He's basically what we hoped Hayward would be but none of the expectations and reputation clash to demand the ball now that we have a fully realized Brown and Tatum.

It's impossible to think of a way to improve on this team without getting allstars really, but given Brodgon's injury issues, and age (29) his market should be reserved to teams like us trying to add something to contend.

So this thought is more of a "what to do with Horford giving his age and contract" and inevitable role reduction as he enter's next year as a 36 year old big (there are not more than a couple 37 year NBA bigs for a reason and none of them are starter level for a reason).

This would allow us to switch to a post Horford lineup of Smart, Brogdon, Brown, Tatum, Rob lineup.

Based on salaries it seems like the only trade would be something along the lines of Brog for Horford and a late first or so.

(that also reduces our payroll by about 4 million so we get more flexibility to work with the payroll/lux tax concerns)
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,440

Post#89 » by Theocy » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:39 pm

Papagiannis is lighting it up in Greece and the euroleague btw. Some of you most likely remember him. Playing for the worst Panathinaikos of recent times and he is the only possitive outlier of that team.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#90 » by Justin33 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:54 pm

Horford will be back at his fully guaranteed deal
sam_I_am
RealGM

Post#91 » by sam_I_am » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:02 pm

Al Horford is the present, that’s for damn sure!
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,730

Post#92 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:28 am

As long as big Al lives and breathes, I want him in green.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
sam_I_am
RealGM

Post#93 » by sam_I_am » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:00 am

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:As long as big Al lives and breathes, I want him in green.

And 1!
Theocy
Sixth Man

Post#94 » by Theocy » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:03 am

sam_I_am wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:As long as big Al lives and breathes, I want him in green.

And 1!

The way he’s been playing 6ers might offer him a 4 year max :lol:
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#95 » by KGboss » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:19 am

I see horford resigning for shorter money

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,796

Post#96 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:57 am

His 20-15 in game 1 was only the third time he's done it as a Celtic, RS + Playoffs. It's also only the third time he's done it in the postseason his entire career.

He really stepped up in Timelord's absence.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,759

Post#97 » by 165bows » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:58 am

celticfan42487 wrote:Per the wiretap Brogdon is likely to be traded in the off season as the Pacers look to enter a rebuilding mode. Perhaps trading for him and moving Tatum back to PF is the real big solution here.

At the moment it's pretty key for our defense to have guards that are big enough to switch all over the place and Brogdon is one of those rare guards at 6'5" and 230 pounds that is also able to drop dimes (5aspg career average) and be an elite shooter (46% fg 37%3 88% FT career averages).

So he should fit into our defense, can play off or on ball, and should help make it so Jaylen Brown won't be responsible for playmaking unless by play design. He's basically what we hoped Hayward would be but none of the expectations and reputation clash to demand the ball now that we have a fully realized Brown and Tatum.

It's impossible to think of a way to improve on this team without getting allstars really, but given Brodgon's injury issues, and age (29) his market should be reserved to teams like us trying to add something to contend.

So this thought is more of a "what to do with Horford giving his age and contract" and inevitable role reduction as he enter's next year as a 36 year old big (there are not more than a couple 37 year NBA bigs for a reason and none of them are starter level for a reason).

This would allow us to switch to a post Horford lineup of Smart, Brogdon, Brown, Tatum, Rob lineup.

Based on salaries it seems like the only trade would be something along the lines of Brog for Horford and a late first or so.

(that also reduces our payroll by about 4 million so we get more flexibility to work with the payroll/lux tax concerns)

Theis, Nesmith, Pritchard, a couple minimum salary guys and pick(s) seems like the way to go. Pretty intriguing option really. Extend Horford and move him to the bench.
sam_I_am
RealGM

Post#98 » by sam_I_am » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:51 pm

165bows wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Per the wiretap Brogdon is likely to be traded in the off season as the Pacers look to enter a rebuilding mode. Perhaps trading for him and moving Tatum back to PF is the real big solution here.

Theis, Nesmith, Pritchard, a couple minimum salary guys and pick(s) seems like the way to go. Pretty intriguing option really. Extend Horford and move him to the bench.

A healthy Brogdon would be great but given salary/age/health, White was a safer bet. I think Herb Jones in NO might be the next Brogdon like second round steal.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,475

Post#99 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:08 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
165bows wrote:

A healthy Brogdon would be great but given salary/age/health, White was a safer bet. I think Herb Jones in NO might be the next Brogdon like second round steal.

A healthy Brogdon? Is there such a thing?
Theocy
Sixth Man

Post#100 » by Theocy » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:24 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
165bows wrote:

A healthy Brogdon? Is there such a thing?

He hasn’t played much in two years has he.

Do we have an understanding of the types of injuries he sustained the past 2 years ?

Return to Boston Celtics