ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,019

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#41 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 am

SMTBSI wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Being a massive college basketball fan and living on the west coast and catching a good amount of Oregon games. I'll just say there is a reason these guys get paid to make these picks, they know more than me. Pritchard is a hard nose player, but I honestly thought he was going to be a mid to late 2nd round pick. A tough nosed kid that can shoot and is a smart player though.

Question from someone who's never watched one second of college ball:

The Pritchard pick has the shape of the classic "low ceiling, high floor" pick. Soon-to-be 23yo 4-year senior and all. Which, at #26, fine.

But for a "low ceiling, high floor" player to work out, they have to actually be, you know, high floor. A guy with a low ceiling and a low floor is just not first round material.

Can Pritchard be credibly described as "high floor"? Or would you characterize the pick more as a complete headscratcher?

Honestly, it's a head scratcher in my opinion. Again to me he is kind of the guy you take mid to late 2nd, expect him to spend a year or so in the G League and see if he becomes a rotation player.

There are probably 4-5 PGs I wouldve taken ahead of him. Even if you just want a high floor guy, Tre Jones is kind of that. Elite defender, fantastic facilitator, doesnt make mistakes on either end. I mean just look at his brother, Tyus is probably one of the best backup PGs in the NBA and I think Tre is the better prospect leaving Duke.

Just saw this video. Im not a fan of Gary Parrish but this is pretty much exactly how I feel as well.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,469

Post#42 » by threrf23 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:44 am

I don't dislike Pritchard. Seems like a good guy to have in the locker room and in practice.

Chris Quinn is comparable in terms of build and stats if not also general strengths and weaknesses. That is who comes to mind for me. I think Pritchard is a little bit more athletic (but not quicker on the feet)?
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#43 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:46 am

Pritchard was the best point guard in basketball last year winning the Cousy Award. Can step in right away and be the backup and he’s a much better shooter than a guy like Tre Jones. Flynn, Jones, and Winston are just flat out worse players and prospects lol

High floor and you know what you’re getting. I didn’t even see it as a reach honestly since he was rumored to go in first round anyways. He doesn’t even have to do much his rookie year since the roster is good. He’s the best shooter (other than Terry) of the guards who were available too.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#44 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:08 am

white Kyrie minus the head case and who plays defense...no really. Instant starter if we didn't have Kemba, future starter no doubt about it. Will make Kemba expendable by the break. A+
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,812

Post#45 » by flintsky21 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:27 am

Deep range, crafty finisher, but we've seen this last year with Edwards so I'm not getting my hopes up. He's bigger so hopefully he adapts better at the pros. Still really would've liked Tyrell Terry. A Nesmith-Terry haul (2 best shooters in the draft) would've been a dream scenario. Just praying this won't be Tyler Herro all over again.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,462

Post#46 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:39 am

Didn’t know him, watched video, has great handles and he has range but right now i can’t give much of an opinion because I’ma little mad about not getting guys i watched all that friggen video on, so I wanna give it a fairer shake when I get over what I feel was missing out on guys.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#47 » by ParticleMan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:40 am

one thing about pritchard, he shot 41% from 3 but not all 41% college shooters are equal. this guy did a lot of it off the dribble, from deep range, with doncic-like stepbacks and stepaways. and he has solid size, i was actually surprised when i saw him listed at 6-2, seems like he moves and plays like 6-3 or 6-4. has great vision off the dribble also. wingspan sucks but not such an issue for a pg.

my only question is whether he has the footspeed to stay with opposing PGs. otherwise very solid pick. i feel like a lot of people just don't watch pac 10 ball since it's too late. this guy did it all for a top-20 team.

pritchard is better than wanamaker right now and i like brad. we've upgraded our backup pg spot by a good bit, right away. i'll take that for a 26 pick.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#48 » by captain green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:02 am

Lol
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#49 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:05 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:white Kyrie minus the head case and who plays defense...no really. Instant starter if we didn't have Kemba, future starter no doubt about it. Will make Kemba expendable by the break. A+

Tommy would be proud of you and that comparasion.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#50 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:41 am

Read on Twitter

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,259

Post#51 » by TheSheriff » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:10 am

Gomes3PC wrote:That quote by Stevens says it all. They used these picks not on who were the best talents long term, but on guys they thought might fit roles on this year's team. That is almost u equivocally a terrible decision when it comes to roster building.

The quote by Brad is what a coach thinks about, I.e how am I going to use this guy this year and how hard does he work. Especially coached on contending teams. What do you want him to say?
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#52 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:12 am

TheSheriff wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:That quote by Stevens says it all. They used these picks not on who were the best talents long term, but on guys they thought might fit roles on this year's team. That is almost u equivocally a terrible decision when it comes to roster building.

The quote by Brad is what a coach thinks about, I.e how s was m I going to use this guy this year and how hard does he work. Especially coached on contending teams. What do you want him to say?

If the lad is better than Wannamaker, that's a good pick. Wannamaker was our 6th best player in this year's postseason. This kid should be way better on offense than Wannamaker, not sure about the defense. He needs to hit the weights.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#53 » by CelticsLV » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:49 am

Can't be worse than Edwards. I hope this guy translates, and is as scrappy as McConnell with better shot making ability.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#54 » by SMTBSI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:

The quote by Brad is what a coach thinks about, I.e how s was m I going to use this guy this year and how hard does he work. Especially coached on contending teams. What do you want him to say?

If the lad is better than Wannamaker, that's a good pick. Wannamaker was our 6th best player in this year's postseason. This kid should be way better on offense than Wannamaker, not sure about the defense. He needs to hit the weights.

Seriously. From the way everyone is talking about him, I'll be stunned if he matches Wanamaker's contribution in year one. That would be excellent out of the #26.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#55 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:03 am

Factor in the short offseason, compressed schedule, and absence of summer league/training, most of the NBA rookies might not be able to get integrated/acclimated and contribute from day 1.

Hopefully the other guy is more NBA-ready.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#56 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:49 am

Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,378

Post#57 » by Red2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:12 pm

So we draft a 23 year old slow guard who can’t defend? I don’t get Danny . Year after year he wastes draft picks on guards who don’t pan out. We drafted 3 guards again and traded a 4th. Not one big man for a team that needs size and is about to lose Gordon Hayward .
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
batabatuta
Pro Prospect
And1: 763

Post#58 » by batabatuta » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 pm

He can defend, he can pass, he can rebound, he can score, and has a high basketball IQ. You don't need a star to run the second unit. You need a reliable ball-handler who will defend leads when the starters take a break. He's the man to take over for Wanamaker.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,013

Post#59 » by Village Idiot » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:24 pm

I've watched a lot of Pritchard and think you guys got a keeper. He's never going to be a star but he's tough, smart and confident. He's kind of a mix of FVV and Dellavedova. Perfect back-up PG who will give 100% every possession, is smart enough to make the right play and ballsy enough and skilled enough to take and make a tough shot. He's also a natural leader who leads both by words and by action.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,380

Post#60 » by chrisab123 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:30 pm

Hate this pick. Should have traded this for a future 1st. Too many rookies and 2nd year players on this team for them to be a serious contender. No one on the Celtics knows how to win because no one on the roster or coaching staff has ever won a thing.

Return to Boston Celtics