ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,281

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$30M) 

Post#801 » by Parasite » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:53 am

Fierce1 wrote:
Parasite wrote:I’m going to trust Brad. He got rid of both Grant and Smart which were the correct moves. He brought in KP and Jrue which were the correct moves. Not at all thrilled with supermaxing Jaylen but I at least understand why he did it. I think PP is a fine backup pg. He doesn’t really do any one thing great, but I think he’s solid in just about everything.

One thing PP does well is shoot the ball.

PP just started slow this season.
But I think he'll get better as the season progresses.

He’s a solid shooter. Not great but solid. I think he’s solid in pretty much every facet and makes a decent backup pg. Probably middle of the pack in that role League-wide. If he was a couple inches taller none of this trade conversation would even be taking place.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,448

Post#802 » by BK_2020 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:21 am

He is not a threat at the rim, not a threat in the midrange, struggles to bring the ball up, can't penetrate, and good but not great at catch and shoot threes. He's a willing passer but pounds the ball and makes the safest passes because he can't see passing angles. That's the totality of his contributions on offense. Then you add to that the fact that he might be the worst defender in the league. I think we can do better.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,539

Post#803 » by Fierce1 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:28 am

BK_2020 wrote:He is not a threat at the rim, not a threat in the midrange, struggles to bring the ball up, can't penetrate, and good but not great at catch and shoot threes. He's a willing passer but pounds the ball and makes the safest passes because he can't see passing angles. That's the totality of his contributions on offense. Then you add to that the fact that he might be the worst defender in the league. I think we can do better.

You're out of luck because we're stuck with PP for better or worse.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,484

Post#804 » by celtxman » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:49 am

Fierce1 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:He is not a threat at the rim, not a threat in the midrange, struggles to bring the ball up, can't penetrate, and good but not great at catch and shoot threes. He's a willing passer but pounds the ball and makes the safest passes because he can't see passing angles. That's the totality of his contributions on offense. Then you add to that the fact that he might be the worst defender in the league. I think we can do better.

He has a tradeable contract. There is time to wait and I think he will play better
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,281

Post#805 » by Parasite » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:53 am

I don’t think he’s the worst defender in the league by any stretch. Sure, his size makes it difficult for him but he tries hard on that end, and that’s half the battle. Brad sees something with him and so does Mazzulla. I think it’s a little premature to judge him at this point. He’s acclimating to the new team just like everyone else.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,033

Post#806 » by jfs1000d » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:35 pm

Totally disagree. Third guard, can shoot and is a change of pace. Rough start to season, but he can play.

He is there to make open shots. He can shoot, scorer and pressure the ball. He is a bench guard. We gotta relax here on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#807 » by Fierce1 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:37 pm

We won't feel the need for a 3rd guard in the playoffs because Jrue and White will be playing close to 40 minutes per game.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#808 » by Fierce1 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:45 pm

I also see PP doing the work when he gets to play.

He plays hard.

The effort is there.

If his 3-ball goes in then he's good enough to be the 3rd guard.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#809 » by Hal14 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:33 pm

jfs1000d wrote:

Totally disagree. Third guard, can shoot and is a change of pace. Rough start to season, but he can play.

He is there to make open shots. He can shoot, scorer and pressure the ball. He is a bench guard. We gotta relax here on that.

But he's not hitting open shots. He's missing them.

It's only 11 games into the season. But he's gotta start hitting those open shots, otherwise he isn't bringing enough value when he's out there.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#810 » by Hal14 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:35 pm

Fierce1 wrote:We won't feel the need for a 3rd guard in the playoffs because Jrue and White will be playing close to 40 minutes per game.

Someone needs to be the 8th man in the rotation come playoff time. Right now, Pritchard is the 8th man. In the playoffs, your 8th man is typically only gonna play around 10-15 MPG. But those are still pretty valuable mins. So if Pritchard can't do the job, at some point we'll need to find someone else who can - either internally (Banton? Svi?) or externally (trade, FA pickup..)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#811 » by Fierce1 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:01 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:We won't feel the need for a 3rd guard in the playoffs because Jrue and White will be playing close to 40 minutes per game.

Someone needs to be the 8th man in the rotation come playoff time. Right now, Pritchard is the 8th man. In the playoffs, your 8th man is typically only gonna play around 10-15 MPG. But those are still pretty valuable mins. So if Pritchard can't do the job, at some point we'll need to find someone else who can - either internally (Banton? Svi?) or externally (trade, FA pickup..)

I think PP can do the job because the Cs just need him to make open shots.

I'd rather get another big as an insurance.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,883

Post#812 » by Green89 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:29 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Alex Caruso would solidify our path to a ring more than a backup big would. 3 All NBA defenders on the perimeter would be enormous.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#813 » by Fierce1 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:39 pm

Green89 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Someone needs to be the 8th man in the rotation come playoff time. Right now, Pritchard is the 8th man. In the playoffs, your 8th man is typically only gonna play around 10-15 MPG. But those are still pretty valuable mins. So if Pritchard can't do the job, at some point we'll need to find someone else who can - either internally (Banton? Svi?) or externally (trade, FA pickup..)

Alex Caruso would solidify our path to a ring more than a backup big would. 3 All NBA defenders on the perimeter would be enormous.

The price would be too high.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Post#814 » by sam_I_am » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:02 pm

celtxman wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:

He has a tradeable contract. There is time to wait and I think he will play better

I think he is a good player who is ultra competitive but he is a bad fit for what we do. He’s too good to let walk away for nothing so I’m glad the Cs signed him at a reasonable deal. I think long term it’s best for both team and player if he gets moved. I do expect his 3 point shooting % to improve once he gets adjusted to new teammates and new role.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,448

Post#815 » by BK_2020 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:28 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
celtxman wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:You're out of luck because we're stuck with PP for better or worse.

I think he is a good player who is ultra competitive but he is a bad fit for what we do. He’s too good to let walk away for nothing so I’m glad the Cs signed him at a reasonable deal. I think long term it’s best for both team and player if he gets moved. I do expect his 3 point shooting % to improve once he gets adjusted to new teammates and new role.

I just don't know how having new teammates can possibly affect your ability to shoot open threes.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#816 » by Hal14 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:12 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
celtxman wrote:He has a tradeable contract. There is time to wait and I think he will play better

I just don't know how having new teammates can possibly affect your ability to shoot open threes.

Well, here's a stat in Pritchard's defense.

Obviously early in the season and small sample size, but he's 9th in the league and 5th on our team in Net Rating:
Read on Twitter

It makes sense - even though he's not scoring a lot, you can tell when watching the games that the hustle plays he makes (loose balls, rebounds to give us extra possessions), the energy he plays with, keeping the ball moving on offense, not being a ball stopper, finding the open man, not forcing anything on offense, playing within himself, not turning the ball over. Pushing the pace, making it so we play fast, which keeps pressure on the defense and makes it so we have good rhythm/flow on offense.

And on D he has been pesky, feisty and his effort/hustle has allowed him to hold his own on D. Plus how he is often used (especially lately) as a guy who is pressing full court, or pressing 3/4 court or pressing once the team gets it across half court - which takes the opposing team out of their rhythm and sometimes forces turnovers.

Once those 3's start falling, he'll be rock solid. And we have a 7 year sample size (4 years of college ball + 3 NBA seasons prior to this one) that suggest he'll end up in the 36-41% range from 3.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Post#817 » by sam_I_am » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:25 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
celtxman wrote:He has a tradeable contract. There is time to wait and I think he will play better

Come up with your own explanation if you like. He’s in a slump and the obvious changes to roster and role may have something to do with it.

He is a career 39% 3 pt shooter. He shot just under 37% in preseason. He is now shooting 23%. By season end he will probably be closer to 37-38%.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#818 » by Hal14 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:53 pm

More Pritchard propoganda:
Read on Twitter

He's 5th on the team in Net rating and 7th on the team in Plus Minus. Ahead of Hauser in both categories. Looks like (for now at least) the right move is bringing Al, Hauser and Pritchard off the bench as the 6th/7th/8th men..and Kornet (who continues to do a solid job) as the 9th man.

10th man, doesn't really matter when your top 9 is this good - the 10th guy won't play much anyways. But we have we have some solid options with Svi/Brissett/Stevens/Banton. Plus Queta if we need an emergency depth big for spot minutes.
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#819 » by jfs1000d » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:55 pm

Hal14 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:

But he's not hitting open shots. He's missing them.

It's only 11 games into the season. But he's gotta start hitting those open shots, otherwise he isn't bringing enough value when he's out there.

Of course. But sample size too small. He is going to end up hitting those shots.

I agree, if he doesn’t hit shots he can’t play. But that s a 30 game evaluation. Not 11

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#820 » by jfs1000d » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:56 pm

Green89 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Someone needs to be the 8th man in the rotation come playoff time. Right now, Pritchard is the 8th man. In the playoffs, your 8th man is typically only gonna play around 10-15 MPG. But those are still pretty valuable mins. So if Pritchard can't do the job, at some point we'll need to find someone else who can - either internally (Banton? Svi?) or externally (trade, FA pickup..)

The entire league wants Caruso. His price will be high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to Boston Celtics