ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

ThePigeon
Starter
And1: 1,341

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin! 

Post#461 » by ThePigeon » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:42 am

Kalela wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Solid game today from Juhann. 18 points on 6/11 shooting (2/4 from three, 4/7 from the line) with 4 boards (2 offensive), 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block and 0 turnover.

Boxscore: https://www.lnb.fr/elite/game-center-resume/?id=25166

Begarin is a solid player. He can become a long term Smart replacement.

Smart is our best PG and arguably our best passer. Begarin would not replace him as their skillset are different.
He can be a good wing off the bench.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,297

Post#462 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Thu Dec 1, 2022 6:49 am

Paris got their 5th straight win, this time in EuroCup against Hamburg. Begarin scored 13 points on 5/12 shooting (1/6 from three, 2/4 from the line). 1 assists, 3 steals and 1 block but 0 rebound, 6 turnovers and he fouled out in 28 minutes.

Begarin was selected as a reserve for the all star game. It's a France vs World format so he'll see Waters on the other side. Wembanyama will participate in the three point shoot out so that'll be fun.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,546

Post#463 » by snowman » Fri Dec 2, 2022 3:52 am

ThePigeon wrote:
Kalela wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Solid game today from Juhann. 18 points on 6/11 shooting (2/4 from three, 4/7 from the line) with 4 boards (2 offensive), 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block and 0 turnover.

Boxscore: https://www.lnb.fr/elite/game-center-resume/?id=25166

Smart is our best PG and arguably our best passer. Begarin would not replace him as their skillset are different.

Begarin will be our Justin Jackson replacement.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,945

Post#464 » by playa-hater » Fri Dec 2, 2022 3:58 pm

snowman wrote:
ThePigeon wrote:
Kalela wrote:

Begarin will be our Justin Jackson replacement.

That doesn't sound promising..JJ has zero upside..this kid does..

Yes I know you are referring to the a 15th spot on the roster ..Just yaking to our big game tonight..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#465 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sun Dec 4, 2022 9:43 pm

Paris' win streak came to an end against Dijon. Begarin had a sloppy offensive performance with 5 turnovers and a 5/13 shooting line (1/3 from three, 4/7 from the line). He was very impactful defensively however with 5 steals and 2 blocks. He also drew 7 fouls, grabbed 9 boards (3 offensive) and dished out 3 assists.

Boxscore: https://www.lnb.fr/elite/game-center-resume/?id=25182
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,263

Post#466 » by Hal14 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 4:30 am

:20 nice read here out of the PnR. Begarin gets blitzed, but he stays calm, cool and collected - zips the pass on the money to the open big man for the easy bucket. Good play
2:37 bad turnover here by Juhann but look at the way he busts his a%% to hustle back on D for the chase down block!
3:25 yikes, another bad turnover here. Looks like some miscommunication with him and the big man, Kamagate. Cutting down on those turnovers is certainly one thing he needs to work on (same with Davison)
3:32 shaky defense here by Juhann, leaving the opposing guard wide open for a 3. Looks like maybe he thought Kamagate was gonna go out and contest it - not sure why he would think that, though. Just a lapse on D - he's gotta limit these types of mistakes if he wants to play in the NBA (still just recently turned 20 yrs old though, to be fair)
4:23 nice play here, strong drive and nifty reverse layup finish
4:30 woah, i had to rewind it and watch this play again. This was nice. Comes off the screen, shows good patience, lets the play develop, uses a little hesitation move to throw the defender off and then BOOM, absolutely explodes to the basket, like he was shot out of a cannon, wow, that burst/explosiveness was very cool. Strong finish with the dunk. Savvy move to go in for the dunk after being fouled - he knew it was a good opportunity to get himself a continuation there - smart play
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,468

Post#467 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=RplCip-mt5fYe-VMvyZEag
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,556

Post#468 » by shackles10 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:31 pm

Wasn’t he shooting well beginning of their season? Maybe the Celtics shooting slump started in Paris and migrated overseas to the States.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#469 » by Hal14 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:07 pm

shackles10 wrote:Wasn’t he shooting well beginning of their season? Maybe the Celtics shooting slump started in Paris and migrated overseas to the States.

Yeah, early on in the season his 3 pt% and FT% were both pretty good. Not sure what happened.

I think he missed a few games with an injury - perhaps the shooting slump started when he came back from the injury, maybe he's been playing hurt since then, idk..

He does so many other good things out there. If he could be a respectable shooter then he could definitely have a future as a solid wing off the bench over here..

He's still only 20 years old, so plenty of time time for him to figure it out.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,003

Post#470 » by sam_I_am » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:59 pm

Juhann Begarin, with NBA rights already at the Boston Celtics, finished with a 25-point, 12-rebound double-double in the entertaining contest featuring stars of France’s Betclic LNB Pro A.

Wembanyama was MVP of all star game. Highlights of his game are sick. Good to see Juhann had a great game too.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#471 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:26 pm

The real reason why Brad drafted Begarin...
Read on Twitter

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Hal14
RealGM

Post#472 » by Hal14 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:37 pm

Yes, he has some shooting concerns and it's possible he never makes it in the NBA. But the fact that Begarin made the all-star team at age 20 (I think he made it last year too at age 19) AND could have won MVP of the all-star game since he posted a higher player rating than Wembanyama (the projected #1 pick and projected to be a perennial all-star and maybe even one of the best players ever), should tell you that Begarin does have some really good potential.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=Ph6krubeyM9UBTyY8k-WJQ

Translated, the tweet says:

"Victor Wembanyama on Juhann Begarin's performance at @ASGLNB:

"I don't understand my MVP title when I see that Juhann has 38 rating and I have 32. I wonder why he wasn't elected MVP, but I think he deserves it anyway. I'm even sure of it.

This has got to be very good for Juhann's confidence too - to play so well in the all-star game and play just as good (if not better) than Wembanyama.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#473 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:36 pm

Yup Begarin was the best player on the floor during the all star game although it's not egregious to give it to Wembanyama he was also very good and some of his rim protection doesn't show up in the boxscore. Begarin finished with 25 points (10/18 shooting), 12 boards (4 offensive), 7 assists (including a gorgeous full court outlet pass to Wembanyama), 4 steals and 1 block.

More so than the stats you have to love the mentality. He did the Alvardo trick of stealing the ball in the backcourt after a made basket a couple times. How many guys show that kind of hustle in an all star game ?

He was also really good in the dunk contest losing in the finals against former Grizzlies Yves Pons but not much you can do when the other guy has a dunk over Wembanyama, a dunk from beyond free throw line and a dunk barefoot in the same contest.

Highlights from the dunk contest

Highlights from the all star game
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#474 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:48 pm

I just hope he’s been working on his bench celebrations and watching film on Theo Pinson and Malik Fitts
Hal14
RealGM

Post#475 » by Hal14 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:16 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:I just hope he’s been working on his bench celebrations and watching film on Theo Pinson and Malik Fitts

We didn't draft him to sit on the bench. If he comes over here, it's because he's got a legit chance to contribute.

I know you're probably just joking tho..
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#476 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:23 pm

Hal14 wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:I just hope he’s been working on his bench celebrations and watching film on Theo Pinson and Malik Fitts

We didn't draft him to sit on the bench. If he comes over here, it's because he's got a legit chance to contribute.

I am joking but if he comes over next year I'd be shocked if he contributes because he'd be at best 10th man on this roster
Hal14
RealGM

Post#477 » by Hal14 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:30 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

I am joking but if he comes over next year I'd be shocked if he contributes because he'd be at best 10th man on this roster

Possibly. But Hauser is the 9th man right now. If Begarin can improve his shooting, he could pass Hauser on the depth chart next season - or at least compete for those minutes. Not to mention, last season Nesmith/Langford combined to average 27 MPG - Begarin could compete for those mins as like a 9th/10th man..

I think at this point though, he probably spends 1 more season overseas and then maybe we bring him over here for the 2024-2025 season. He'll be 22 then so still very young and will likely be more NBA-ready than he will be at age 21.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#478 » by Hal14 » Thu Jan 5, 2023 3:44 am

IDK if anyone else is having the same issue, but the video smart2nesmith posted with highlights from the LNB all-star game that Begarin played in don't seem to be working for me.

Here's a different video:

Begarin looking good! Pushing the ball at every opportunity. Attacking the rim hard.

Like smart2nesmith said, you like to seem him hustling for that steal in the backcourt, especially since you typically don't see guys making plays like that in an all-star game.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#479 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Thu Jan 5, 2023 2:04 pm

Sorry, I guess the video must be geo-restricted. The all star game format really lets him showcase his athelticism. It also hints at what he could do with a more spread out floor in the NBA. He needs to sort out his shooting though.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#480 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:11 pm

Juhann's got that dog in him! Oh man, love seeing this type of fire and swagger out of him.

Read on Twitter

Interesting note: He's played in 19 games so far this season. He's had 3 or more steals in 6 of those games. That's nuts!

On a related note, the celtics so far this season are ranked 27th in the league in steals per 100 possessions.

So yeah, if he can improve the shooting, I think he's got a legit shot to be on the roster next season. He needs to spend the upcoming summer in the gym with Ben Sullivan!

Here's another look at the play. Looks like the defender kind of pushed him from behind while Begarin was in mid-air (a big no-no to do that, could injure the guy, it's usually a flagrant in the NBA if that happens) and that's why Begarin immediately turned and yelled (looks like he said f--- you) at the defender..

Read on Twitter

I can already picture Al calming Juhann down the way Simms (#25) does here :)

Return to Boston Celtics