ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,295

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin! 

Post#501 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:59 am

Paris Basketball is done in the Eurocup after their blowout loss 104-74 against Gran Canaria in the quarters yesterday. Begarin finished as his team highest scorer with 18 points on 7/10 shooting (3/4 from the line).
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#502 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:18 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Paris Basketball is done in the Eurocup after their blowout loss 104-74 against Gran Canaria in the quarters yesterday. Begarin finished as his team highest scorer with 18 points on 7/10 shooting (3/4 from the line).

Ok. Plenty of time for Juhann to prepare for summer league!
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#503 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:33 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Paris Basketball is done in the Eurocup after their blowout loss 104-74 against Gran Canaria in the quarters yesterday. Begarin finished as his team highest scorer with 18 points on 7/10 shooting (3/4 from the line).

He still has 5 games for Paris in the French league (plus the playoffs hopefully but considering they can only get in as a 7/8 seed that shouldn't last long even if they do get in).
Hal14
RealGM

Post#504 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:36 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

He still has 5 games for Paris in the French league (plus the playoffs hopefully but considering they can only get in as a 7/8 seed that shouldn't last long even if they do get in).

Oh ok. Schedules over there are confusing haha.

More games is good - more reps can only help his development.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#505 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Wed May 3, 2023 9:08 am

13 points (4/8 shooting, 4/4 from the line), 4 boards, 2 assists, 2 blocks and a steal for Begarin in a win last week-end. Still one game out of 7th and half a game out of 8th with 3 games left to play in the French league. The playoff race is going down to the wire.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#506 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat May 13, 2023 12:30 pm

One game left in the regular season for Begarin next tuesday. His team is currently in a three way tie for 8th and has the tiebreakers over the other two teams so it's win and in (or all three lose and in). They are playing against Wembanyama on the road for their last game. Couldn't have scripted it any better if you tried (well apart from the fact that Wembanyama's team will probably have wrapped up the second seed by then and I don't know how much they'll play their starters).
Hal14
RealGM

Post#507 » by Hal14 » Sat May 13, 2023 1:56 pm

This game was from a few months ago but was watching last night cause I'm a nerd haha

2:15 nice take and finish here
3:00 really like this pass here. Live dribble pass with 1 hand. Good vision and throws the pass on time, on target. Him and Kamagate (Nuggets draft and stash) have good chemistry.
3:10 nice recovery here to challenge the shot after at first it looked like he was getting beat defending in the PnR. His 7'0" wingspan comes in handy here to make up the ground to challenge the shot, and he also busts his a%% to get back in the play
3:36 this was really impressive. Probably the best handles I've seen from Begarin on this play. Really nifty move here with the dribble to fake out the defender and get by his man. Collapses the defense, then dishes it to the big man, resulting in a layup
4:40 just love the hustle and effort on this play. The type of stuff we've seen from him in summer league with all those chase down blocks. On this play, Begarin busts his a%%, goes all out to try and make the play. Doesn't quite get there, but man, if he got there a second earlier, would have been a ridiculous chase down block - love the effort and hustle

There's a lot to like with his game. If the shooting comes along, he's got a chance to be a good NBA player. He's still just 20 yrs old! Good upside.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#508 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Thu May 18, 2023 2:25 pm

Ugly shooting game from Begarin to finish out the season (3/10 from the field, 1/2 from three, 2/5 from the line). 5 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal and no turnover. With a loss to the Boulogne Levellois, his team will just miss out on the opportunity to get slaughtered by Monaco in the first round of the playoffs.

In better news, he's been picked as part of a french select team (exactly the same concept as the select team of young guys that team USA assembles most summer) to play two games against Armenia on June 16 and 17 in Las Vegas.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,546

Post#509 » by shackles10 » Fri May 19, 2023 7:41 pm

I like what I saw from him last summer. I like some of the highlights, updates, and write-ups you and others have provided in this thread. I don't like any of it enough to go into this summer being sure of anything for Juhann's future with the Celtics though. He's young, but still gotta prove it in summer league and probably in convincing fashion.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,939

Post#510 » by playa-hater » Fri May 19, 2023 11:49 pm

His poor outside shooting (based on reading these posts) is of major concern for me. Not the type of player I want next to Tatum in the future.

In my experience as a former shooting coach, I can say absolutely anyone can improve with enough hard work and proper technique etc.. But many players just don't have that natural feel or shooting touch to get passed a certain point. While he is young, he has been playing Pro ball full time for a while and really hasn't shown much improvement in that regard.

Every year there are another bunch of young players trying to make the league.. Better get the job done sooner or there will be no later.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Hal14
RealGM

Post#511 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Begarin leaving paris Basketball and joining a new team.

No surprise. Makes sense to go to a different team that might be able to help him develop more (didn't develop much over the past 2 years..his shooting actually got worse).

Plus, Paris Basketball's head coach just left to take a different job. And Begarin's buddy Ismael Kamagate (a draft and stash with the Nuggets) also just left Paris Basketball to join a different team.

The coach for Begarin's new team (Nanterre 92) is Pascal Donnadieu. Don't know too much about him, but it looks like he has been coaching that same team since 1987, wow. And has been an assistant with France's national team since 2016.

I think the hope is, he goes back overseas for 1 or 2 more years, and this new team / new coach can hopefully do a really good job of developing him so that in a year or 2, he can be truly ready to make an impact for the Celtics.

Keep in mind, he's still just 20 yrs old. Basically the same age as JD Davison. They're both long term pieces where you're not expecting much (or anything) short term, but long term could end up being really good.

Nanterre is in LNB Pro A, the top French league. Same league as Begarin has been playing in for the past 2 seasons. But the hope is a new team / new coach can help..

There is a small chance that Begarin comes over and joins the Celtics for the upcoming season. His contract with his new team probably has an "NBA out" and possibly a small buyout that the Celtics could pay (Begarin could pay a portion of it himself). But I think it's a small chance. Unless Begarin really kills it in summer league (and even if he does, summer league doesn't mean a whole lot, look at Carsen Edwards, former SL superstar, lol) he probably isn't ready yet to get meaningful minutes for a contender that as deep/talented as the Celtics are.

And Begarin isn't gonna come over to the Celtics until he has a legit shot at earning some real minutes. Doesn't make sense for him to come to a foreign country and ride the bench here when he could be in his home country, starting and getting good playing time in France. Probably makes more $ in France on his new contract than he'd make over here on a 2nd round pick rookie contract anyways.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#512 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 7:00 pm

Nanterre has a much better track record of developing young players (including a certain Victor Wembanyama) than Paris Basketball and they don't have roster that's nearly as talented so he'll get more reps on ball. The two clubs are close enough geographically that they have at times used the same arena so he probably won't even have to move. If the money is anywhere close to what he was making in Paris it's a no brainer.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,999

Post#513 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Jun 9, 2023 7:10 pm

I wish Begarin could go play for Obradović, like Madar.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Hal14
RealGM

Post#514 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 7:14 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I wish Begarin could go play for Obradović, like Madar.

Partizan has such a stacked roster though - might be tough for him to get mins / reps..
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#515 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 7:29 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Partizan has such a stacked roster though - might be tough for him to get mins / reps..

Obradović plays everybody though. Maybe because he's like an actual coach not just a guy that stands on the sideline and yells at the team to give the ball to the star player and get out of the way. Partizan plays a ton of games as well so that helps too.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#516 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Jun 9, 2023 9:11 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Obradović plays everybody though. Maybe because he's like an actual coach not just a guy that stands on the sideline and yells at the team to give the ball to the star player and get out of the way. Partizan plays a ton of games as well so that helps too.

If I owned the Celtics I would go over to Belgrade personally and beg Obradović to take the Celtics head coaching job. I'd offer 10 million a year, 15 million a year...whatever it took.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,672

Post#517 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:42 pm

Read on Twitter

No Juhann Begarin for the next few years
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#518 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:00 am

Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Unless he has an NBA out in his contract. Many FIBA players do.

Hal14
RealGM

Post#519 » by Hal14 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:59 am

Curmudgeon wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Unless he has an NBA out in his contract. Many FIBA players do.

Yeah. As i posted above, he probably has an NBA out in the contract and a small buyout that the Celtics can pay if they want to bring him over - Begarin can possibly even pay some of the buyout himself if he wants - to make it even easier for the C's to bring him over.

All it means is, he doesn't have an NBA contract. As long as that's the case, he needs a contract with a european team. He's simply switching from one euro team to a different one.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,195

Post#520 » by 31to6 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:35 pm

well it's good to see Nanterre has pivoted to their Wembanyama replacement;)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.

Return to Boston Celtics