ImageImageImage

Jayson Tatum Thread – (PotM - Feb. 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,299

Re: Jayson Tatum Thread – (PotM - Feb. 2024) 

Post#1841 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:31 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:Funniest thing that robot Tatum has ever done

Read on Twitter

Wait until you see part three in 2036: " tie up loose ends on the way to banner 25".
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,643

Post#1842 » by bisme37 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:57 pm

Read on Twitter
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,858

Post#1843 » by KillahGhostface » Fri May 3, 2024 9:20 pm

I never thought he’d be a guy to get to the line a lot, this is from the regular season. His FT rate for that Heat series was an absurd .584, by far a career high. That’s partially because his usage was stupid low, though.

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,923

Post#1844 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri May 3, 2024 11:47 pm

29% from 3, 50% from 2 won't cut it in later rounds. Shoot better, champ (or not).
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#1845 » by KillahGhostface » Fri May 3, 2024 11:56 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:29% from 3, 50% from 2 won't cut it in later rounds. Shoot better, champ (or not).

Need more pull-ups :wink:

I’m not too concerned about the 18% on C&S threes, but he needs to be better in the 3-10 foot area. I don’t think the Cavs will have 3 guys focusing on him at all times though.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,923

Post#1846 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat May 4, 2024 12:01 am

KillahGhostface wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:29% from 3, 50% from 2 won't cut it in later rounds. Shoot better, champ (or not).

I’m not too concerned about the 18% on C&S threes, but he needs to be better in the 3-10 foot area. I don’t think the Cavs will have 3 guys focusing on him at all times though.

If their defense holds, he may not need to be as efficient. Offensive efficiency in playoffs seems to have gone down by a lot. Good thing White, Horf, and Hauser haven't read the memo yet. I will just feel more confident and comfortable if our main guy can get that TS% to at least a 60.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#1847 » by KillahGhostface » Sat May 4, 2024 12:04 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
KillahGhostface wrote:

If their defense holds, he may not need to be as efficient. Offensive efficiency in playoffs seems to have gone down by a lot. Good thing White, Horf, and Hauser haven't read the memo yet. I will just feel more confident and comfortable if our main guy can get that TS% to at least a 60.

I agree completely.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,526

Post#1848 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:12 pm

31to6 wrote:
31to6 wrote:maybe a necessary part of the maturation process for Tatum will be not needing to play with a friend who is smaller, older, more injured, higher-paid, and substantially worse than he is. If he 'needs' us to gut the roster to bring in someone for $50M per who advanced stats tell us will make us considerably worse, then we're in a tough spot.

I think by this summer Tatum might be seeing things a bit more Brad Stevens' way than that. Derrick White is the sort of guy you want to play with, JT, not Beal.

Bump from Feb 2022

Moved.

(We try not to Bump Threads from over a year old.)
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,224

Post#1849 » by 31to6 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:15 am

Parliament10 wrote:
31to6 wrote:
31to6 wrote:maybe a necessary part of the maturation process for Tatum will be not needing to play with a friend who is smaller, older, more injured, higher-paid, and substantially worse than he is. If he 'needs' us to gut the roster to bring in someone for $50M per who advanced stats tell us will make us considerably worse, then we're in a tough spot.

I think by this summer Tatum might be seeing things a bit more Brad Stevens' way than that. Derrick White is the sort of guy you want to play with, JT, not Beal.

Bump from Feb 2022

Moved.

Okay, unaware of that practice. Will chill on dunking on a couple of posters who wanted Beal back in the day in that necro-thread. Instead mods please indulge me here as I see what Beal did in these playoffs as his team got swept:

16.5/2.8/4.5 on 44/44/80 hey not bad for a broken-down almost 31-year old making $180M over the next 3 with a no-trade clause and 15% trade kicker.

RS? He was good for 53 games as his team dramatically underperformed, and he put up 18/4/5 on 51/43/81 — great bounce back on his efficiency!

Let’s look at basic advanced stats:
RS: BPM 0.4, VORP 1.1, WS/48 0.11
Playoffs: BPM -3.8 (huge negative defensively), VORP -0.1, WS/48 -0.08

That franchise is absolutely **** because of him. And guys here wanted to trade Jaylen for him because he’s Tatum’s friend and can create offense.

Beal = trash and I am wedded to this.
Derrick = more money than any of us even knew it.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 900

Post#1850 » by JimmyFromNz » Thu May 9, 2024 4:27 am

31to6 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Bump from Feb 2022

Moved.

Okay, unaware of that practice. Will chill on dunking on a couple of posters who wanted Beal back in the day in that necro-thread. Instead mods please indulge me here as I see what Beal did in these playoffs as his team got swept:

16.5/2.8/4.5 on 44/44/80 hey not bad for a broken-down almost 31-year old making $180M over the next 3 with a no-trade clause and 15% trade kicker.

RS? He was good for 53 games as his team dramatically underperformed, and he put up 18/4/5 on 51/43/81 — great bounce back on his efficiency!

That franchise is absolutely **** because of him. And guys here wanted to trade Jaylen for him because he’s Tatum’s friend and can create offense.

I've never wanted Beal and am personally very smug about the Phoenix demise as someone very against the team construction from the outset. I have fond memories of arguing on the General Board with Suns fans that maybe Yuta Watanabe and Keita B Diop were not legitimate nba rotational players and that in fact their depth was horrific due to taking on such a whale of a contract in Beal. Anyway, off track...

Its crazy to think that with how much Beal has dropped off, and with White's growth, that this isnt even a question of who the better player is anymore. Can't get enough Derrick in my life!
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,575

Post#1851 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu May 9, 2024 4:51 am

JimmyFromNz wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Moved.

I've never wanted Beal and am personally very smug about the Phoenix demise as someone very against the team construction from the outset. I have fond memories of arguing on the General Board with Suns fans that maybe Yuta Watanabe and Keita B Diop were not legitimate nba rotational players and that in fact their depth was horrific due to taking on such a whale of a contract in Beal. Anyway, off track...

Its crazy to think that with how much Beal has dropped off, and with White's growth, that this isnt even a question of who the better player is anymore. Can't get enough Derrick in my life!

There’s something about Beal that’s always been off.

I remember the talk about him and thinking gee is that really what we should be excited about?

very good scorer at his best but just never blew me away I guess? Wasn’t going to be that much of an upgrade over Jaylen.

It was pretty funny watching Washington basically give him away and then watch all these people act like the Suns just got gifted a prime James Harden or something.

Injury prone, never been on a contending team, getting old.

Watching him this year and everything about him was just off. First he was constantly injured. Okay can’t help that. Then he comes back and every game I watched it was like he went out there thinking he could just half ass games because now he was playing with KD and Booker. Zero intensity on either end. Didn’t demand the ball much. Was almost a complete waste of space out there.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,643

Post#1852 » by bisme37 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:34 pm

I haven't watched it yet but there's a JT interview with Ahmad Rashad up on NBA.com...

https://www.nba.com/watch/video/nba-rewind-with-ahmad-rashad-jayson-tatum?plsrc=nba&collection=must-watch-videos
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#1853 » by peachbucket » Fri May 10, 2024 5:05 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275664/Jayson-Tatum-Narrative-Says-Were-A-Superteam-But-We-Didnt-Get-Rewarded-Like-We-Are

Is he saying that the team isn't as good as people think or that he should have won MVP? Just wow..

I've said it before and I'll say it again...you are not winning anything with this guy as your number 1. If Celtics manage to win it this year Brown will need to be your MVP. As soon as a legit top 10 player becomes available Brad Stevens will be on the phone.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,637

Post#1854 » by shi-woo » Fri May 10, 2024 5:55 pm

I think he's more alluding to the fact that this Celtic team has been taking a ton of heat this year, people punching their ticket to the finals in the preseason, they came out and everyone performed up to expectations, but they don't have the hardware to show for it.

I've been complaining about it on the gneral board for the past two months, people are treating this team like it's the 01 Lakers, and every lose the team is under a microscope, and every player turns into trash.

If the team is as good as people say it is, than they should have gotten the love that other teams get. I read this more as "you are under rating our competition" and not "We're just not that good." You see the same thing with people going at Jokic. People are slaughtering the guy for being down 0-2, yet the other team has 3 All-NBA player, a former all star, and the 6th man of the year :lol:

I like the realism from Tatum, though it's understandable why people would want the frothing at the mouth competitor "Mamba mentality bro" mindset, but that's just not Tatum, for better or worse. It's what allows him to stay calm cool collected and do great things when it matters, but it also gives the team a lackadaisical vibe to it that people who believe these dudes are actually gladiators hate. Again, you see how much hate Jokic gets for having the same personality, and he's a 3x MVP and actually won his finals.

I really hope the Celtics win this year just so these guys, especially Tatum, can just put all this hate and fake narrative behind them
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,526

Post#1855 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:33 pm

peachbucket wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275664/Jayson-Tatum-Narrative-Says-Were-A-Superteam-But-We-Didnt-Get-Rewarded-Like-We-Are

Is he saying that the team isn't as good as people think or that he should have won MVP? Just wow..

I've said it before and I'll say it again...you are not winning anything with this guy as your number 1. If Celtics manage to win it this year Brown will need to be your MVP. As soon as a legit top 10 player becomes available Brad Stevens will be on the phone.

Is this your first year having internet? The media ask questions to elicit clickbaits then take quotes out of contest to create fake controversy. If you want to know what Tatum was really saying you can watch the whole interview, but 100% Tatum was saying the most boring, inconsequential thing.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,388

Post#1856 » by fallguy » Fri May 10, 2024 6:37 pm

Good piece here:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/5/10/24153623/jayson-tatum-boston-celtics-nba-playoffs

"We’re left wondering where that leaves Tatum, who is in the throes of the worst shooting postseason of his career. Nevermind the series, it would be difficult to posit that Tatum has been the best player in more than one of the seven games the Celtics have played thus far. Tatum’s 25 points, seven rebounds, and six assists in Game 2 isn’t nothing, but he’s yet to assert himself in the ways the league knows he can. When Tatum is on his game, he taps into a streamlined vision of his all-time hero in Kobe Bryant. In those moments, he holds this nuanced offensive command that seems to gloss over all of Kobe’s tortured on-court calculations—the ones that made the effortless feel effortful. Tatum needs just 28 points to overtake Paul George as no. 10 on the active playoff points leaderboard—everyone above him is at least six years older than he is.

“I know how to score the ball,” he told reporters last night. But it’s been hit-and-miss over these past seven games. When Tatum isn’t fully calibrated, there is an excruciating lag time between his intentions and actions, as if he’s trying to manifest something that isn’t there. At worst, these aimless preambles in the midrange derail an offense designed to create open perimeter looks against tilted defenses. In those moments, he can charitaly be described as an unspectacular net positive, the kind of player that you’d compliment for their solid screens, stout defending, and underrated playmaking. Maybe good for a few Tommy Points, but not the stuff of legends."
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,224

Post#1857 » by 31to6 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:57 pm

I wonder when All NBA teams will be announced? It's a regular season award, but I'd guess the TV shows will be in a tizzy if JT makes 1st team. They will also be in a tizzy if he makes 2nd team. So whenever it is announced, my fearless forecast is: tizzy.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,846

Post#1858 » by Deivork » Fri May 10, 2024 8:35 pm

Are we not gonna talk about his jump-shot form? Always seemed odd to me. Maybe why some of his misses are so bad.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#1859 » by peachbucket » Sat May 11, 2024 2:20 am

BK_2020 wrote:
peachbucket wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275664/Jayson-Tatum-Narrative-Says-Were-A-Superteam-But-We-Didnt-Get-Rewarded-Like-We-Are

Is this your first year having internet? The media ask questions to elicit clickbaits then take quotes out of contest to create fake controversy. If you want to know what Tatum was really saying you can watch the whole interview, but 100% Tatum was saying the most boring, inconsequential thing.

Oh, thank you for explaining how that worked! Now let me explain a few things to you. The question I asked was rhetorical. I watched the video and that quote was not taken out of context...Tatum legitimately brought up how the Celtics were considered a "Superteam" yet he didn't win MVP...and that was after a horrific loss in a post season where he has played like absolute ass. I find it neither boring nor inconsequential as I think that it illustrates the larger issue with Tatum and his continued underperformance in the playoffs. Hope that helps.

If he was playing like the All NBA player MVP candidate that he is supposed to be then I don't care if he claimed he was abducted by aliens in his post game
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,558

Post#1860 » by Fierce1 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:23 am

Aliens from outer space or aliens as in illegal aliens?

Please clarify.

Return to Boston Celtics