ImageImageImage

Welcome Derrick White - (PotW, March 25, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,083

Re: Welcome Derrick White - (PotW, March 25, 2024) 

Post#1201 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:47 am

Couldn't even shoot or was hesitant to shoot when he first got to Boston. Fast forward two years and we have this...

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1202 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:57 am

Read on Twitter

That's an additional $1.625M in tax for the owners. I don't think they mind that White turned into a lethal assassin.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,070

Post#1203 » by Fierce1 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 7:10 am

Cs winning 3 chips if the Cs have the Jays, KP, White, and Sam until 2032.

So the owners better not be cheap.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1204 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:18 am

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1205 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:14 am

Read on Twitter

Surprised KG or Rondo didn't do this. Seems like a low bar.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1206 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:22 pm

Read on Twitter
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,415

Post#1207 » by KillahGhostface » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:32 am

Read on Twitter
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,415

Post#1208 » by KillahGhostface » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:43 am

fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,119

Post#1209 » by fallguy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:56 am

Pay that man his money (in 2025).
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,238

Post#1210 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Surprised KG or Rondo didn't do this. Seems like a low bar.

KG did it a bunch. Just not with the Celts. His APG was lower with us, either due to age or role/system.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,238

Post#1211 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:01 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Couldn't even shoot or was hesitant to shoot when he first got to Boston. Fast forward two years and we have this...

Read on Twitter

It would be a little out of character if he went full HAM and tried to catch Tatum for the most Celts threes this season. Only 33 behind...
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#1212 » by cl2117 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:35 am

Will be interesting to see if White is even willing to sign an extension this summer. Apparently he can make quite a bit more by going all the way to free agency. His stock is at an all time high, I presume the C's will be prepared to offer him the max this summer in hopes of getting a bargain before he's an UFA, but Derrick might just bet on himself and ride it through to the end of the year to cash in. Either way, I think Brad ultimately has to keep him around. Such a good fit stylistically and aligns well with Tatum/Brown timeline.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#1213 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:16 pm

cl2117 wrote:Will be interesting to see if White is even willing to sign an extension this summer. Apparently he can make quite a bit more by going all the way to free agency. His stock is at an all time high, I presume the C's will be prepared to offer him the max this summer in hopes of getting a bargain before he's an UFA, but Derrick might just bet on himself and ride it through to the end of the year to cash in. Either way, I think Brad ultimately has to keep him around. Such a good fit stylistically and aligns well with Tatum/Brown timeline.

Do we know what his max extension is? I have seen 4/122 thrown around. But if he waits until FA he would be eligible for a full max deal?

Edit: so it looks like he can make 140% of 2024/2025 salary plus 8% raises in an extension which would be something like 4/123 starting at 27.5 ish. If he waits until FA he would be eligible for a 30% max plus 8% which could start at around 45 million. If he waits and avoids injury and has another great season he could make a lot more. Will be interesting to see what he does. I assume the Cs offer that full 140% extension this summer.
Sign here
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,462

Post#1214 » by celtxman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:09 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:Will be interesting to see if White is even willing to sign an extension this summer. Apparently he can make quite a bit more by going all the way to free agency. His stock is at an all time high, I presume the C's will be prepared to offer him the max this summer in hopes of getting a bargain before he's an UFA, but Derrick might just bet on himself and ride it through to the end of the year to cash in. Either way, I think Brad ultimately has to keep him around. Such a good fit stylistically and aligns well with Tatum/Brown timeline.

Do we know what his max extension is? I have seen 4/122 thrown around. But if he waits until FA he would be eligible for a full max deal?

Edit: so it looks like he can make 140% of 2024/2025 salary plus 8% raises in an extension which would be something like 4/123 starting at 27.5 ish. If he waits until FA he would be eligible for a 30% max plus 8% which could start at around 45 million. If he waits and avoids injury and has another great season he could make a lot more. Will be interesting to see what he does. I assume the Cs offer that full 140% extension this summer.
We know White wanted to sign this past off season. This will be incredibly bad if he wanted to sign, the Celtics wanted to wait and White now wants to test free agency.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#1215 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:18 pm

celtxman wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

We know White wanted to sign this past off season. This will be incredibly bad if he wanted to sign, the Celtics wanted to wait and White now wants to test free agency.

Do we know that? He was only eligible for 3 year extension last offseason and is eligible for 4 this offseason. I know there were discussions but those discussions could have been about timing so there could be an extra year. I don’t recall any news that he wanted to sign last offseason. Do you have anything to share in this regard?
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#1216 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:14 pm

Do you really think D-white seems like the type of guy to hit free agency, uproot his family (with 2 small children and wife..his dad, a lifelong Celtics fan) just so he can try and make a few extra bucks on some other team that will probably not even make the playoffs?

He stays and we have a chance to have a dynasty.

Let's look at the guys who have been top 6 players on this team since Brad took over and how their free agency/contract extensions have gone down:

Tatum - about to sign supermax
Brown - signed supermax
Jrue - just signed extension, took less $ to stay in Boston
KP - signed extension, took less $ to stay in Boston
Smart - signed a team friendly extension
Rob - signed a team friendly extension
Al - signed a team-friendly extension

If we go a little bit further down the rotation than that, you see:
Pritchard - signed a team-friendly extension
Grant - bet on himself. Didn't sign a team-friendly extension. Went to restricted free agency, had a few teams willing to offer more $ and more of a role so he left

Hell, even J-rich signed a team-friendly extension a few days after getting traded here.

So there you have it. Out of 10 guys, 8 of them extended their contracts with Boston. 1 of them (JB) signed a supermax with BOS, 1 of them (Tatum) is about to sign a supermax with Boston. Only 1 out of 10 is gone from Boston.

Who's the one who's gone? Mr. I'ma Make Em Both. Mr. get in Jimmy Butler's face, which caused him to go off and beat us in a playoff game. Mr get in Draymond Green's face, talk smack to him which gets him amped up to beat us in the finals. Mr thinks he's way better at basketball than he is, always whining to the refs like he's a superstar. Grant, who was more motivated to go and get PAID since it was his first contract after his rookie deal. That's not the case for Derrick - arguably the most humble unassuming player in the league.

I think we all know Tatum signing the supermax this summer is a formality. And I'd be shocked if D-white doesn't sign an extension this summer with Boston.

IMO, the only real questions are further down the roster..whether we get an extension done with Hauser..whether we resign Tillman, Kornet..Brissett's player option (although Brissett i think its pretty much a formality that he will exercise the sh&t out of that option, lol)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#1217 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:30 pm

White is going to sign for more than the extension Holiday just got.

Potentially $40 million AAV.

A few years ago, people here were speculating how cheaply a deal Horford would sign to remain with Boston. Then of course, he signed with the 76ers, even though he wanted to stay with the team, as indicated when he was traded back to the Celtics.

So it seems deja vu for people here to suggest White should sacrifice for the team when two of his teammates will each be making $60 million or more next season.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#1218 » by cl2117 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:40 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Do you really think D-white seems like the type of guy to hit free agency, uproot his family (with 2 small children and wife..his dad, a lifelong Celtics fan) just so he can try and make a few extra bucks on some other team that will probably not even make the playoffs?

Let's look at the guys who have been top 6 players on this team since Brad took over and how their free agency/contract extensions have gone down:

Brown - signed supermax

Grant - bet on himself. Didn't sign a team-friendly extension. Went to restricted free agency, had a few teams willing to offer more $ and more of a role so he left

Hell, even J-rich signed a team-friendly extension a few days after getting traded here.

So there you have it. Out of 10 guys, 8 of them extended their contracts with Boston. 1 of them (JB) signed a supermax with BOS, 1 of them (Tatum) is about to sign a supermax with Boston. Only 1 out of 10 is gone from Boston.

Who's the one who's gone? Mr. I'ma Make Em Both. Mr. get in Jimmy Butler's face, which caused him to go off and beat us in a playoff game. Mr get in Draymond Green's face, talk smack to him which gets him amped up to beat us in the finals. Mr thinks he's way better at basketball than he is, always whining to the refs like he's a superstar. Grant, who was more motivated to go and get PAID since it was his first contract after his rookie deal. That's not the case for Derrick - arguably the most humble unassuming player in the league.

I could absolutely see White leaving in free agency if he bets on himself and has a stellar year. This will be White's last big contract as it'll take him into his mid-30's, he's going to want to maximize it. I'd assume Boston has first right of refusal to match, but if ownership wasn't willing to pay the luxury tax then and he has higher offers elsewhere I can see him leaving for more money.

I don't think it's safe to assume guys are going to forego money to stay here (although whether we win or not obviously factors into it massively as does stuff like income tax). Tatum/Brown are making the max they can. Jrue is getting that 4th year which ultimately nets him a lot more than the "discount" he took for next year. Pritchard's deal arguably wasn't "team-friendly" when he signed it. Al's extension has ended up "team friendly" but was a gamble given his age. KP took a bit of a discount but had injury concerns too. Same for Rob. Grant walked for more money. It's a pretty mixed bag.

My preference is that we extend White regardless of what the number ends up being and move off Jrue for cheaper rotation pieces if need be (even if that means adding to Holiday to get off the contract). I like a changing of the guard with those two. Keep them together for 2-3 years, then sell of Jrue for parts once White takes over his function. Re-tool around the remaining core. Hopefully win a few rings in between.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#1219 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:17 pm

cl2117 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Brown - signed supermax

I could absolutely see White leaving in free agency if he bets on himself and has a stellar year. This will be White's last big contract as it'll take him into his mid-30's, he's going to want to maximize it. I'd assume Boston has first right of refusal to match, but if ownership wasn't willing to pay the luxury tax then and he has higher offers elsewhere I can see him leaving for more money.

I don't think it's safe to assume guys are going to forego money to stay here (although whether we win or not obviously factors into it massively as does stuff like income tax). Tatum/Brown are making the max they can. Jrue is getting that 4th year which ultimately nets him a lot more than the "discount" he took for next year. Pritchard's deal arguably wasn't "team-friendly" when he signed it. Al's extension has ended up "team friendly" but was a gamble given his age. KP took a bit of a discount but had injury concerns too. Same for Rob. Grant walked for more money. It's a pretty mixed bag.

It's not a mixed bag. Only 1 out of 10 players left via free agency. And that was the most selfish player on the team. Derrick is like the most humble, unassuming guy in the league.

Not to mention Grant wasn't even that good so it didn't even really make sense for Boston to pay him $13mil a year. Derrick is very good and it does make sense for Boston to pay him.

Sure, it might be his last big pay day. But he's gonna make *a lot* of money on his extension with Boston. Let's not act like it's either $2 mil a year with Boston or $50 mil a year with Houston. That's not reality.

Plenty of guys (steph, Jrue, CP3, LeBron, Al, Dame, Conley, KD, Kyrie, etc.) have signed lucrative contracts into their 30's too..so White will likely get another pay day, even after this one.

Also, why would Derrick bet on himself this summer, after just having the best season of his career? He'll likely make all-defense for the 2nd year in a row, is top 10 in the league in most analytics models..had thousands of people (JJ Redick and many others) campaigning for him to make the all-star team. Best shooting season of his career. NOW is the time to cash in and lock that extension in - this summer. He's unlikely to be as good next season as he was this season - especially since he turns 30 this summer. Guys typically don't improve after turning 30 - especially guards who are 6'4" or under.

THis is also now 2 seasons in a row where he hasn't had any injuries - what are the odds he goes all of next season with no injuries? He got hurt at some point during most of the seasons he was in San Antonio.

If he bets on himself, gets hurt..now he's a 31 year old guard coming off an injury looking for a FA contract..instead of a 30 year old guard coming off 2 straight completely healthy seasons, extending with the team he's been on for awhile - a team where all the other core pieces have extended with the team to try and build a dynasty.

Dennis Schroder bet on himself a couple years ago, it blew up in his face and he was the laughingstock of the league.

Guys don't really bet on themselves anymore, unless they're idiots like Grant Williams or Dennis Schroder. These guys mostly secure the bag, lock that extension in as soon as you can.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,070

Post#1220 » by Fierce1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:27 pm

White is very important this season and next season.

But once the Jays reach their full potential, Cs will still win a chip without White.

Return to Boston Celtics