ImageImageImage

Welcome Derrick White - (PotW, March 25, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,945

Re: Welcome Derrick White 

Post#61 » by playa-hater » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:54 pm

Triple M wrote:White seems like a precursor to a Smart trade in the summer

At minimum it does provide flexibility for sure
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,945

Post#62 » by playa-hater » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:56 pm

My one concern is when white plays with Marcus smart is where Marcus smart I want Marcus smart to stay on ball as the point guard and not off the ball
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,959

Post#63 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:57 pm

Dogen wrote:+/- on how many dunks Rob gets off White passes in their first game together?

I'm going with... 3.

I am going to go further.

Whites first game he gets 6 assists
Makes 3 threes
Gets 3 steals
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,959

Post#64 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:57 pm

playa-hater wrote:My one concern is when white plays with Marcus smart is where Marcus smart I want Marcus smart to stay on ball as the point guard and not off the ball

No problem.

White has been playing off ball for years.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,137

Post#65 » by Dogen » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:06 am

Larry_Russell wrote:
Dogen wrote:+/- on how many dunks Rob gets off White passes in their first game together?

I'm going with... 3.

I am going to go further.

Whites first game he gets 6 assists
Makes 3 threes
Gets 3 steals

I'm going to go even further.

Kevin Durant retires.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,263

Post#66 » by Hal14 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:06 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Watching this is making me excited.

I think i'm gonna like this guy :)

He looks like a legit supporting piece (5th starter or 1 of your top 2 guys off the bench) to a title winning team. still only 27.

I think my favorite play of this video is the pass at 4:40. Filthy, just filthy. love it
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,468

Post#67 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:08 am

A closing lineup of Smart/White/Jaylen/Tatum/Rob

:droop:
Hal14
RealGM

Post#68 » by Hal14 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:11 am

stretch wrote:

Agree, makes it much easier to package Horford and Smart, maybe even Rob (borderline all star/DPoY)/Horford/Smart if Towns ever asks out

We can do a big KG type trade in the future and still have a Rondo and Perk type left over on the roster, however you look at it

And we can just steadily improve and contend with this core. And wait for whenever the inevitable next big star asks out

Durant could ask out now that harden is gone and irving is a lunatic

beal and lillard - we know they're both on the verge of asking out.

brad needs to keep his finger on the pulse this offseason. if we can pull the trigger and somehow add either durant, beal or lillard without giving up tatum or brown....watch out!

hell, Donovan mitchell could even ask out if things end badly this season in utah..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#69 » by Hal14 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:18 am

playa-hater wrote:My one concern is when white plays with Marcus smart is where Marcus smart I want Marcus smart to stay on ball as the point guard and not off the ball

i'm not really concerned about that.

dejounte murray has been the primary PG for the spurs last couple years and seems to have played really well alongside white.

white seems like a legit combo-guard who can play the 1 if he has to or the 2 if he has to.

white is 6'4" and smart at 6'3" isn't that small of a back court. i think they can play together sometimes. and sometimes we'll just have 1 of them out there..
Hal14
RealGM

Post#70 » by Hal14 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:27 am

One thing i noticed watching the derrick white highlight vid. While he does hit a few 3's, he seems to really do an excellent job of not settling for the 3. he takes it if it's there, if it's in the flow of the offense but his top priority is relentlessly attacking the basket, driving in and either driving all the way to the rim, or driving to then take a mid range jumper or driving it in and then making a sick pass to a teammate for a layup/dunk. it seems like he is RELENTLESS at getting high percentage shots - either for himself or a teammate.

it's almost like brad said "you know what, i know we need shooting, but f%ck it. who cares that it's a 3 point shooting league these days? i'm gonna zig when the rest of the league is zagging. Let's have a bunch of guys who can space the floor, move the ball around, drive and kick, attack the basket, throw lobs to rob, have tatum/brown/white attack the basket like animals, we'll have tatum/rob/white/smart throwing sick passes for layups and we'll have the best defense in the league."
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,998

Post#71 » by leper-con » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:38 am

Given our ability to draft stinks I'm torn on giving up the pick(s)

Brad has gone against the fundamental rules of Red Auerbach. Never give up first round picks.
He has now done it twice in a row.

Derick white was drafted at 29. This is how a good organization drafts.

We have given up a pick, plus a couple of players and potentially a big future mistake.

can Derick move the needle?
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,998

Post#72 » by leper-con » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:42 am

playa-hater wrote:

I'm not sure White isn't Smart in disguise. They seem like the same player.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,387

Post#73 » by fallguy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:44 am

Look at all the guys we sent out.

The guy we got back is clearly, clearly better than all of them.

On a team that needed to upgrade talent, this is a good day.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,387

Post#74 » by fallguy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:45 am

leper-con wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

I'm not sure White isn't Smart in disguise. They seem like the same player.

One of them might get moved this summer so maybe a good thing?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#75 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:45 am

Smart gives you a different kind of defense and can guard up.. White is a little better at probing the defense - Hal's comment nailed it
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,544

Post#76 » by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:46 am

White reminds me of Gordon Hayward.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,508

Post#77 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:47 am

Hal14 wrote:
stretch wrote:

Agree, makes it much easier to package Horford and Smart, maybe even Rob (borderline all star/DPoY)/Horford/Smart if Towns ever asks out

We can do a big KG type trade in the future and still have a Rondo and Perk type left over on the roster, however you look at it

And we can just steadily improve and contend with this core. And wait for whenever the inevitable next big star asks out

Durant could ask out now that harden is gone and irving is a lunatic

beal and lillard - we know they're both on the verge of asking out.

brad needs to keep his finger on the pulse this offseason. if we can pull the trigger and somehow add either durant, beal or lillard without giving up tatum or brown....watch out!

hell, Donovan mitchell could even ask out if things end badly this season in utah..

Even if they ask out you need assets to get a deal done, especially if a team is tearing it down. This is where trading your pick hurts even more, we just dont have the assets to get any of those guys.
CSL_1904
Veteran
And1: 3,479

Post#78 » by CSL_1904 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:52 am

Looks like Brad is just as good of a POBO as he was a coach. He's done a great job so far.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,976

Post#79 » by darrendaye » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:53 am

Well, we'll be able to evaluate how a Smart-White backcourt functions for stretches. White might be a better defender, but Richardson is excellent too. A benefit to this deal is White's familiarity with the Spurs offense and moving off the ball. I felt there was more to unlock with Richardson as the team better learned this system, but bringing in White gives Ime an advocate out there and hopefully that will mean more consistent application.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,583

Post#80 » by bisme37 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:58 am

GREY, a Spurs fan and one of the best posters on the GB, said this..

Gutted. I get it from a longer-term vision for our team, but Derrick is my favourite Spur. Before that it was Patty, so watch out next Spur I get attached to lol

Derrick peaked in the bubble where he averaged 18PPG and took over 8 3s a game at good efficiency, and when he started against Denver in the playoffs before that. Since then, he hasn't reached that level, but it's a function of context as well.

He'll be incredible for the Cs as well - good facilitator, combo guard so can run point or be off ball, can shoot 3, physical drives, great on P&R, excellent defender, steps up to take charges, EXCELLENT human being - read up on his story trying to get noticed to get to the NBA, and excellent in the community.

That said, we've got a glut of guards, and with Devin and Primo coming up, both on rookie deals, I think Derrick costing us more than DJ in the front court was a tough but perhaps necessary deal.

Derrick loves Tatum - budding bromance from Team USA, and he's familiar with the coaching staff (Udoka, Hardy) who likely advocated for him.

He'll open up your passing, excellent locker room guy, great dad jokes, uuuuugh I miss him already... gutted, I get it but yeah, tough day from an emotional, fan stand point.

He just got married this summer and he and his wife are expecting, so big changes.

I feel he'll open his game more with having the talent Cs have around him and they'll benefit from his steady presence and willingness to pass. Just don't get too down on him when he's having an inefficient shooting night. He'll still always give you something on the D end.

TAKE GOOD CARE OF HIM, C'S FANS! You're now my East team. Sort of a full circle return as when I started watching the NBA I cheered for the Cs... Good luck!

Return to Boston Celtics