ImageImageImage

Welcome Derrick White - (PotW, March 25, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,385

Re: Welcome Derrick White 

Post#81 » by fallguy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:01 am

CSL_1904 wrote:Looks like Brad is just as good of a POBO as he was a coach. He's done a great job so far.

Can he deliver the kill shot? That's what we'll learn (this summer?)
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,626

Post#82 » by Asian Celtic » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:08 am

We're already near the top of the list defensively, now we got another bulldog to top it off. I'm stoked.

Welcome Derrick White!
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#83 » by Hal14 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:23 am

bisme37 wrote:GREY, a Spurs fan and one of the best posters on the GB, said this..

Gutted. I get it from a longer-term vision for our team, but Derrick is my favourite Spur. Before that it was Patty, so watch out next Spur I get attached to lol

Derrick peaked in the bubble where he averaged 18PPG and took over 8 3s a game at good efficiency, and when he started against Denver in the playoffs before that. Since then, he hasn't reached that level, but it's a function of context as well.

He'll be incredible for the Cs as well - good facilitator, combo guard so can run point or be off ball, can shoot 3, physical drives, great on P&R, excellent defender, steps up to take charges, EXCELLENT human being - read up on his story trying to get noticed to get to the NBA, and excellent in the community.

That said, we've got a glut of guards, and with Devin and Primo coming up, both on rookie deals, I think Derrick costing us more than DJ in the front court was a tough but perhaps necessary deal.

Derrick loves Tatum - budding bromance from Team USA, and he's familiar with the coaching staff (Udoka, Hardy) who likely advocated for him.

He'll open up your passing, excellent locker room guy, great dad jokes, uuuuugh I miss him already... gutted, I get it but yeah, tough day from an emotional, fan stand point.

He just got married this summer and he and his wife are expecting, so big changes.

I feel he'll open his game more with having the talent Cs have around him and they'll benefit from his steady presence and willingness to pass. Just don't get too down on him when he's having an inefficient shooting night. He'll still always give you something on the D end.

TAKE GOOD CARE OF HIM, C'S FANS! You're now my East team. Sort of a full circle return as when I started watching the NBA I cheered for the Cs... Good luck!

wow. that's awesome. between reading this and watching his highlight video that Timi made, I'm PUMPED.

that wasn't 70's fan who posted that about White, is it? He and I have had some debates on the player comparisons board :)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#84 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:23 am

Asian Celtic wrote:We're already near the top of the list defensively, now we got another bulldog to top it off. I'm stoked.

Welcome Derrick White!

Hey Bulldog by the Beatles would be an awesome song for him. Funny I was thinking about it today plowing through some work. Hey Bulldog...******* loving it

Ps Ya Smarts not getting traded. We got our #1 and #3 draft picks who are both big gamers, surround them with the right stuff and plan for the Bucks. That's the mission AC!
That's the Way of the World
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,784

Post#85 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:23 am

Read on Twitter

TPEs are useless, they said. White essentially came from that Hayward TPE.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,576

Post#86 » by bisme37 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:24 am

Hal14 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:GREY, a Spurs fan and one of the best posters on the GB, said this..

Spoiler:
Gutted. I get it from a longer-term vision for our team, but Derrick is my favourite Spur. Before that it was Patty, so watch out next Spur I get attached to lol

Derrick peaked in the bubble where he averaged 18PPG and took over 8 3s a game at good efficiency, and when he started against Denver in the playoffs before that. Since then, he hasn't reached that level, but it's a function of context as well.

He'll be incredible for the Cs as well - good facilitator, combo guard so can run point or be off ball, can shoot 3, physical drives, great on P&R, excellent defender, steps up to take charges, EXCELLENT human being - read up on his story trying to get noticed to get to the NBA, and excellent in the community.

That said, we've got a glut of guards, and with Devin and Primo coming up, both on rookie deals, I think Derrick costing us more than DJ in the front court was a tough but perhaps necessary deal.

Derrick loves Tatum - budding bromance from Team USA, and he's familiar with the coaching staff (Udoka, Hardy) who likely advocated for him.

He'll open up your passing, excellent locker room guy, great dad jokes, uuuuugh I miss him already... gutted, I get it but yeah, tough day from an emotional, fan stand point.

He just got married this summer and he and his wife are expecting, so big changes.

I feel he'll open his game more with having the talent Cs have around him and they'll benefit from his steady presence and willingness to pass. Just don't get too down on him when he's having an inefficient shooting night. He'll still always give you something on the D end.

TAKE GOOD CARE OF HIM, C'S FANS! You're now my East team. Sort of a full circle return as when I started watching the NBA I cheered for the Cs... Good luck!

wow. that's awesome. between reading this and watching his highlight video that Timi made, I'm PUMPED.

that wasn't 70's fan who posted that about White, is it? He and I have had some debates on the player comparisons board :)

No not 70's fan. GREY is her name.
neno
Rookie
And1: 927

Post#87 » by neno » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:37 am

I love Derrick White about as much as Brad Steven's hates 1st rd draft pics
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#88 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:51 am

So before this season, the Celtics have never had a trade with the Spurs. We had two trades with them in a month. Ime relationship with Pop at work?
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,998

Post#89 » by leper-con » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:59 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:So before this season, the Celtics have never had a trade with the Spurs. We had two trades with them in a month. Ime relationship with Pop at work?

Seems like Mchale and Ainge except in this scenario we are Mchale
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#90 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:01 am

leper-con wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:So before this season, the Celtics have never had a trade with the Spurs. We had two trades with them in a month. Ime relationship with Pop at work?

Seems like Mchale and Ainge except in this scenario we are Mchale

I wouldn't go that far. But I'll keep my eye out for 12-year olds that could turn into the next KG.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#91 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:13 am

darrendaye wrote:Well, we'll be able to evaluate how a Smart-White backcourt functions for stretches. White might be a better defender, but Richardson is excellent too. A benefit to this deal is White's familiarity with the Spurs offense and moving off the ball. I felt there was more to unlock with Richardson as the team better learned this system, but bringing in White gives Ime an advocate out there and hopefully that will mean more consistent application.

One advantage of White over Richardson is his strength. He's strong like Smart. Rich was long and quick. To control the perimeter its going to take strong players. The Bucks can go with Holiday and KrisM in the backcourt. Smart and White could be the best closing defensive backcourt. Combine that with SuperRob and the Horford/Theis combo and we got a real team. Scoring? Hell, I want JT and JB fighting for the league scoring title. Still need 3 critical vets to buy in and or GWill Pritch Nesmith backup singers to soar but that may happen now with the path laid out. This team has the opportunity to get really dialin in now. Celtics!
That's the Way of the World
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#92 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:38 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,714

Post#93 » by return2glory » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:38 am

People here will be happy about the way he passes. That should stand out.

Overall, White is a complete player and we got the best player in that trade. Just didn't love getting up our 1st round pick. That's two years in a row now.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#94 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:41 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,939

Post#95 » by playa-hater » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:44 am

return2glory wrote:People here will be happy about the way he passes. That should stand out.

Overall, White is a complete player and we got the best player in that trade. Just didn't love getting up our 1st round pick. That's two years in a row now.

sadly I agree, but since Ime has proven to be horrible at building up young players it does hurt a little less losing a first.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,483

Post#96 » by Saint Lazarus » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:41 am

The Comedian wrote:
TommyPointGawd wrote:Came here hoping to see some kind of highlight video. The the wall of advanced impact stats is even better though.

:evil:

I for one love the google spreadsheets screenshots
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,492

Post#97 » by Ballings7 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:04 am

Watched White his whole time with the spurs.. he should be really, really good for the Celts.

He is really not too similar player as Smart because he is much more balanced and reliable offensively.

Very well-rounded, tough, smart and solid defender, who at times is special. Off-ball, on-ball, team, transition, scrapping for boards (won't get a bunch of them, but will get on the glass).

He can do some of everything on both ends of the floor, and is especially crafty and balanced as a mid-range shooter, slasher, and passer. Picks his spots on threes, not special or anything, but is enough of a threat; semi consistent 3PT shooter but not unreliable.

Has lost a bit of his overall agility he had earlier in his career, since a couple lower body injuries, but still is a consistent finisher in the paint and off his jumper. Has slow early season starts, then picks it up later in the second month pretty well; but this could also of been from his injuries he's come off of the last two years.

He is a swiss-army knife on both ends -- but is fairly strong as a mid-range and under scorer, playmaker, and defensively. He should be able to handle the reins at PG if thats how it goes for him.

Deceptively clutch and is not afraid of the moment, as well. He'll make a big play on either end late in the game that people won't see coming because he's crafty and aware.

Will be fun to see him on a team like Boston who are two-levels above the Spurs in terms of talent and adaptability.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#98 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:18 am

Read on Twitter
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#99 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:26 am

Idk if this has been posted already

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#100 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:42 am

Keep seeing and hearing how White isn't much of an upgrade over Richardson. Here are two stats that stand out:

Drives per game (White plays about 5 mins more):
JRich - 5.0
White - 12.1 (would be 2nd on the team behind Tatum)

Assist %:
JRich - 9.0%
White - 25.2%

We needed another player who can makes plays for himself and others. Esp when Tatum gets doubled. Sure, it would've been nice if White could shoot better but making right decisions while playing off the Jays is as important if not more imo.

The driving we lose with Schroder, we gain with White but he doesn't just look for his own shot and plays within the offense most of the time.

Return to Boston Celtics