ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, JD Davison!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Re: Welcome to Boston, JD Davison! 

Post#301 » by Dogen » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:52 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:After hearing the Celtics traded for a young guard prospect...

Read on Twitter

JD got word that I was about to change my avatar to Springer or Tillman!

If there's no good buyout prospect, I hope he and Walsh get more burn with the Celtics, as long as we maintain that HCA.

The additions of Tillman and Springer don't replace, but compliment Walsh and particularly Davison. The 4 of them could see some valuable time together when wins are in hand. Tillman (or Queta) /Walsh/Svi/Springer/Davison getting some run and experience in garbage time.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,227

Post#302 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:26 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:After hearing the Celtics traded for a young guard prospect...

Read on Twitter

The kid's ready. Just playing out the string down there now. If he's not playing in Boston next year he's gonna be playing for another team. Only thing we're waiting for is the inevitable Payton Pritchard trade this offseason to let him in.

Yup, he has been arguably the best offensive engine in the G-league. If the Celtics don't give him a shot next year, someone else will.

Total points scored in the G-League this season
1 JD Davison 690
2 Malcolm Hill 674

Total assists
1 JD Davison 279
2 Brandon Goodwin 276

Total double doubles
T-1 JD Davison 18
T-1 Adam Sanogo 18
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,745

Post#303 » by Green89 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:50 pm

I watched the 2nd half. They lost and his stat line isn't really a reflection of how well he played. It's the G league after all, and he took a ton of ill advised, forced shots, with little defensive pressure. He was ok, but that point total does not tell all.

To be honest, I don't think the team looks well coached. It's Meuller's first HC gig and it shows. Team looks all over the place with little direction. I think they are 9-9 now. Walsh didn't even see the floor until the game was nearly over. Kelley took a hard fall and not one teammate helped him up or lent out a hand.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,035

Post#304 » by BK_2020 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:55 pm

Yeah I'm kinda cautious about G-league stats after seeing Banton dominate every time they send him there for a game.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,023

Post#305 » by 31to6 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:59 pm

I appreciate that JD has gotten high assist #s in the G league, and in summer league for whatever that's worth.
His passing is almost never highlighted in videos -- only scoring.
So anyone watching Maine: how IS his passing? Basic reads? Any advanced stuff? And also (this I realize I could Google) how's his TO %?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,365

Post#306 » by Gant » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:28 pm

31to6 wrote:I appreciate that JD has gotten high assist #s in the G league, and in summer league for whatever that's worth.
So anyone watching Maine: how IS his passing? Basic reads? Any advanced stuff? And also (this I realize I could Google) how's his TO %?

Davison's got very good floor vision. In the NBA he won't get away scoring-wise with what he's doing in the G league, but with better targets his passing will remain effective. His speed, burst, and athleticism are such that he gets the opposition off balance. After that he sees the floor really well and takes advantage of the openings with his passing. He makes it look easy, but it's not something others at the G league level could mimic. He has the ability to be a spark plug NBA passer now, but needs to improve elsewhere to be a contributor on a big league floor.

On scoring, he speeds by G league defenders regardless of size. Last night a lot of the time his defender was a lot smaller than NBAers are. He got short pull ups, or went the way to the rim. That simple paint scoring will largely not be there for him at the next level.

This is repetitive but true: his future depends on getting a consistent three point shot and improvement on defense. If he had the long distance shooting he'd be playing in Boston now. For a shorter guy, he has a pretty easy time getting three point looks, but has no reliability. He's not tall enough to be on an NBA floor regularly without adding that.

Davison has long arms which helps offset the height a bit and has a chance to be a real player. He also might be a bust. It's improvement in the three point shot and upgrading his defense that will determine his future. The passing? That's already there.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,182

Post#307 » by Hal14 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:50 pm

Gant wrote:
31to6 wrote:I appreciate that JD has gotten high assist #s in the G league, and in summer league for whatever that's worth.

Davison's got very good floor vision. In the NBA he won't get away scoring-wise with what he's doing in the G league, but with better targets his passing will remain effective. His speed, burst, and athleticism are such that he gets the opposition off balance. After that he sees the floor really well and takes advantage of the openings with his passing. He makes it look easy, but it's not something others at the G league level could mimic. He has the ability to be a spark plug NBA passer now, but needs to improve elsewhere to be a contributor on a big league floor.

On scoring, he speeds by G league defenders regardless of size. Last night a lot of the time his defender was a lot smaller than NBAers are. He got short pull ups, or went the way to the rim. That simple paint scoring will largely not be there for him at the next level.

This is repetitive but true: his future depends on getting a consistent three point shot and improvement on defense. If he had the long distance shooting he'd be playing in Boston now. For a shorter guy, he has a pretty easy time getting three point looks, but has no reliability. He's not tall enough to be on an NBA floor regularly without adding that.

Davison also has long arms which helps offset the height a bit and has a chance to be a real player. He also might be a bust. It's improvement in the three point shot and upgrading his defense that will determine his future. The passing? That's already there.

Good breakdown. One thing I'd add is that there have been some guys (Ja, De'Aaron Fox, Scoot, TJ McConnell and Tre Jones to some extent..even Tyus Jones before he got better at shooting..etc.) who were 6'3" and under guards and weren't great at shooting or defense but still carved out a role.

But I think those other guys were just simply better than JD...they also got more of an opportunity to play at the NBA level than JD has gotten. So yes he's gotta keep working on the 3 pt shooting and defense. BUT either way, I think he could end up making it in the league if he goes somewhere where they will actually develop him and give him real minutes in the NBA, let him play through his mistakes, etc.

I just don't think that will happen in Boston with how deep our back court is..and we can't really be patient with young kids or give meaningful mins to young development projects (like Walsh and JD) when we are trying to win a championship.

At least with Queta, while he was raw, he was at least good enough to play some minutes here and there actually have a really good net rating, really good rebound %, etc.And Springer appears to be good enough in terms of defense/energy/athleticism/cutting to get some spot mins here and there.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#308 » by Dogen » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:00 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Yeah I'm kinda cautious about G-league stats after seeing Banton dominate every time they send him there for a game.

Banton looked like G-League T-Mac out there.
Hey you! Can we come together?
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,991

Post#309 » by jfs1000d » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:18 am

I like Davidson, but his hair has to go. Sorry. Looks like a moron. Almost as bad as KO’s bun and Elfrid Peyton’s dead squirrel on his head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,378

Post#310 » by brackdan70 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:43 am

jfs1000d wrote:I like Davidson, but his hair has to go. Sorry. Looks like a moron. Almost as bad as KO’s bun and Elfrid Peyton’s dead squirrel on his head

Jealous. I assume you don’t have any. I know the feeling.
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,182

Post#311 » by Hal14 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:00 am

brackdan70 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:I like Davidson, but his hair has to go. Sorry. Looks like a moron. Almost as bad as KO’s bun and Elfrid Peyton’s dead squirrel on his head

Jealous. I assume you don’t have any. I know the feeling.

Yeah, his hair is badass.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,102

Post#312 » by RickyDizzle » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:17 am

I think he's a smart young man to make himself stand out in highlights. It's good for his brand and profile to generally stand out. How many g-league mvps or assist leaders could you name correctly if provided with a photo? I bet if jd wins their mvp, scoring title, assist title, what have you...that he's remembered by more non celtics fans than he wouldve been otherwise because he's putting up numbers and stands out appearance-wise.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,679

Post#313 » by playa-hater » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:32 am

Times have definitely changed but I know for a fact There were a lot of college coaches/recruiters and especially Alumni who never would have recruited a kid with their hair like that in the 90s and 2000s..

Not saying it was right or wrong or if I agree just making a point..p
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,237

Post#314 » by Parasite » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:37 am

The G-league is garbage and reinforces bad habits that will burn you in the NBA. That’s why I’d rather Walsh not even play there.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#315 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:59 am

playa-hater wrote:

Times have definitely changed but I know for a fact There were a lot of college coaches/recruiters and especially Alumni who never would have recruited a kid with their hair like that in the 90s and 2000s..

Not saying it was right or wrong or if I agree just making a point..p

I mean it's obviously wrong. Basing your recruitment on a player's hair style is about as smart as Phoenix passing on Kawhi because he sweat too much during their pre draft interview.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#316 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:24 am

Parasite wrote:The G-league is garbage and reinforces bad habits that will burn you in the NBA. That’s why I’d rather Walsh not even play there.

I'm sure you have a lot of data to support that claim. I mean just look at how terrible Derrick White's fundamentals are after a year in the G-League :nonono:
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,237

Post#317 » by Parasite » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:55 pm

I don’t have any data but if you think someone like JD Davison taking garbage shots all game long will be good for his future growth, hey that’s cool. Do you think they play good defense there? Is someone like Walsh going to learn the proper way to play there? For every Derrick White you find, there are way more whom it didn’t benefit and instead hurt. In my opinion. Let’s put it this way. You really aren’t going to learn how to play in the G-league. If you are already a player like White who instinctively knows how to play the game then maybe those bad habits that are rampant there won’t rub off on you.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man

Post#318 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:22 pm

Parasite wrote:I don’t have any data but if you think someone like JD Davison taking garbage shots all game long will be good for his future growth, hey that’s cool. Do you think they play good defense there? Is someone like Walsh going to learn the proper way to play there? For every Derrick White you find, there are way more whom it didn’t benefit and instead hurt. In my opinion. Let’s put it this way. You really aren’t going to learn how to play in the G-league. If you are already a player like White who instinctively knows how to play the game then maybe those bad habits that are rampant there won’t rub off on you.
Davison is a point guard getting pick and roll ball handling reps against pro level defenses (in the league with the playing style most similar to the NBA). I really don't see what's the problem with developing him this way. What's your master plan to help him improve, not giving him any playing time ?

Peyton Watson was consider super raw when he declared for the draft. After spending a year in the G-League he is one of the first guys off the bench for the defending champs. Pascal Siakam was a G-League finals MVP back in the days. Jalen Johnson, Sam Hauser, Duncan Robinson, Gabe Vincent (and the list goes on and on) all spent significant time in the G-League and didn't form bad habits.

It's absolutely wild that people are still questioning the G-League as a legitimate platform to develop into a NBA player in 2024. Odds are Davison never becomes a NBA player but that's because most late second round picks aren't good enough to make it not because his development is being help back by getting a ton of opportunities in the G-League.

For what it's worth here are his stats compared to last season:
Pts: 13.2 -> 21.6
Rbs: 4.5 -> 5.1
Asts: 7.7 -> 8.7
Stls: 0.8 -> 1.3
Blks: 0.6 -> 0.7
Looks like a guy that's developing just fine to me.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,528

Post#319 » by snowman » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:55 pm

Knowing what we do about Davison and Pritchard, if both were our restricted FA's, and we determine that there is no room for two 6'1, 195 lb point guards, who are you taking?
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#320 » by big-shot-ROB » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:21 pm

snowman wrote:Knowing what we do about Davison and Pritchard, if both were our restricted FA's, and we determine that there is no room for two 6'1, 195 lb point guards, who are you taking?

Pritchard, despite his flaws, is miles ahead as an NBA player than Davison. Pretty sure JD is not going to stick around and we'll forget about him as soon as he stops being with Maine.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Return to Boston Celtics