ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, JD Davison!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,264

Re: Welcome to Boston, JD Davison! 

Post#201 » by Hal14 » Wed Jul 6, 2022 7:55 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:I don't like some words I have heard/seen lately. Don't like that he blamed his Bama play on spacing or that he's counting on it to open up his game. fans and journalist can say that, I want him to talk about his issues he can fix himself. I don't want that to be an excuse he leans on because it gives room to blame anything else if it's also tough for him in the NBA.

I don't like what the coach said about not bringing it every day, I don't know dogs who don't go hard every chance they get, because they want to be the best at what they do, they want to show they are the best. The best players need to outwork everyone else. Essentially saying he is resting on his natural ability. It just gives me Romeo vibes, just do enough work to stay fit, but not enough to improve. Immature. I know he's only 19, but that's a lot of guys coming out these days since they can be 1 and done.

There were more things but I can't remember atm.

I know one thing, our best players are all known as very hard workers. They aren't going to take to anyone who isn't going to put in real work to be their best. You aren't getting playing time here if you don't work and you'll be shipped out if you don't take the opportunity serious. He didn't want to go hard to get ahead of their starting PG in college, these dudes in the NBA are 10 tiers better, is he going to cower to them too? You gotta go hard to be a Celtics, they aren't handing anything to you! Ask Rob, Brad didn't care about the flashes, he made Rob work to get minutes and over the seasons people talked more and more about how hard he was working. Then comes Ime who challenged him even more and now he's excelling.

Talent is nice, but you need more in the NBA!

Talk is cheap. People can say things and you don't really know their motive/agenda for saying it, or maybe they said it but didn't mean it and then regretted saying it right after.

I put much more weight into what they actually do on the court.

Who knows, his Bama coach might be just trying to save his own a%% by blaming certain things on JD. The Bama coach doesn't want to get fired - he's taken a lot of heat this past season for the team underperforming and he's taken a lot of heat for having a 5-star recruit who didn't quite meet expectations during his freshman season (JD).

As far as things JD has said, he clearly needs some coaching in terms of doing interviews. He seems unsure of what he wants to say, he seems pretty shy. He said the word "dog" like 9 times in a 5 minute interview. People who aren
t the most well spoken repeat themselves a lot (I know, it's actually something I'm working on to get better at my job). And again, he's a 19 year old, 1 and done. Paolo Banchero isn't the best at doing interviews either and he was number 1 pick..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,004

Post#202 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jul 6, 2022 11:30 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:I don't like some words I have heard/seen lately. Don't like that he blamed his Bama play on spacing or that he's counting on it to open up his game. fans and journalist can say that, I want him to talk about his issues he can fix himself. I don't want that to be an excuse he leans on because it gives room to blame anything else if it's also tough for him in the NBA.

I don't like what the coach said about not bringing it every day, I don't know dogs who don't go hard every chance they get, because they want to be the best at what they do, they want to show they are the best. The best players need to outwork everyone else. Essentially saying he is resting on his natural ability. It just gives me Romeo vibes, just do enough work to stay fit, but not enough to improve. Immature. I know he's only 19, but that's a lot of guys coming out these days since they can be 1 and done.

There were more things but I can't remember atm.

I know one thing, our best players are all known as very hard workers. They aren't going to take to anyone who isn't going to put in real work to be their best. You aren't getting playing time here if you don't work and you'll be shipped out if you don't take the opportunity serious. He didn't want to go hard to get ahead of their starting PG in college, these dudes in the NBA are 10 tiers better, is he going to cower to them too? You gotta go hard to be a Celtics, they aren't handing anything to you! Ask Rob, Brad didn't care about the flashes, he made Rob work to get minutes and over the seasons people talked more and more about how hard he was working. Then comes Ime who challenged him even more and now he's excelling.

Talent is nice, but you need more in the NBA!

Talk is cheap. People can say things and you don't really know their motive/agenda for saying it, or maybe they said it but didn't mean it and then regretted saying it right after.

I put much more weight into what they actually do on the court.

Who knows, his Bama coach might be just trying to save his own a%% by blaming certain things on JD. The Bama coach doesn't want to get fired - he's taken a lot of heat this past season for the team underperforming and he's taken a lot of heat for having a 5-star recruit who didn't quite meet expectations during his freshman season (JD).

As far as things JD has said, he clearly needs some coaching in terms of doing interviews. He seems unsure of what he wants to say, he seems pretty shy. He said the word "dog" like 9 times in a 5 minute interview. People who aren
t the most well spoken repeat themselves a lot (I know, it's actually something I'm working on to get better at my job). And again, he's a 19 year old, 1 and done. Paolo Banchero isn't the best at doing interviews either and he was number 1 pick..

You can be a lazy underachiever and then learn to develop an amazing work ethic. No matter how great your character or work ethic or willingness to be coached…..you can’t develop a 40 inch vertical if the talent isn’t there. JD has stated he wants to learn from Smart. If he makes good on this promise, maybe he has the talent to be the dog we want him to be.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,809

Post#203 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:33 am

Read on Twitter
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,207

Post#204 » by 31to6 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:46 am

JD is repped by human/chipmunk hybrid Mike Miller!

Glad this happened quickly without any visible drama, it’s the obvious move.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,613

Post#205 » by 165bows » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:51 am

31to6 wrote:JD is repped by human/chipmunk hybrid Mike Miller!

Glad this happened quickly without any visible drama, it’s the obvious move.

Damn good eye bro. I was wondering who the blank that creepy arse lurker was.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,522

Re: Welcome to Boston, JD Davison! -- Signed to Two-Way 

Post#206 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:00 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
31to6
RealGM

Post#207 » by 31to6 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:53 am

Based on his HS “mix tape” I figured this guy would be more of a shoot-first PG. But through his first three games of SL, he actually seems to *like* to pass quite a bit. Mostly lobs, but I’ll take it — I like it!
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#208 » by Higgs Boston » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:19 pm

He is top5 in assists in the summer league.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,462

Post#209 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:31 pm

31to6 wrote:Based on his HS “mix tape” I figured this guy would be more of a shoot-first PG. But through his first three games of SL, he actually seems to *like* to pass quite a bit. Mostly lobs, but I’ll take it — I like it!

Rarely tries to score, needs to go for his more. I don't like seeing people pass up wide open threes and he does often. I know he didn't shoot well in college, but part of the problem seems to be confidence, if you are afraid to take them it means you're too concerned with missing. Shooters have to shoot and in today's nba everyone is a shooter!! Grant Williams missed 25 straight but he kept plugging along, now he's one of the leagues best (last season)!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
31to6
RealGM

Post#210 » by 31to6 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:34 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
31to6 wrote:Based on his HS “mix tape” I figured this guy would be more of a shoot-first PG. But through his first three games of SL, he actually seems to *like* to pass quite a bit. Mostly lobs, but I’ll take it — I like it!

Rarely tries to score, needs to go for his more. I don't like seeing people pass up wide open threes and he does often. I know he didn't shoot well in college, but part of the problem seems to be confidence, if you are afraid to take them it means you're too concerned with missing. Shooters have to shoot and in today's nba everyone is a shooter!! Grant Williams missed 25 straight but he kept plugging along, now he's one of the leagues best (last season)!

4/6 from 3 today on his way to 28 points
WAY TO COACH EM, Shak!
Now tell Jaylen to work on his handle:)

Real talk: JD looked like a lottery pick today.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,462

Post#211 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:16 pm

31to6 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:

4/6 from 3 today on his way to 28 points
WAY TO COACH EM, Shak!
Now tell Jaylen to work on his handle:)

Real talk: JD looked like a lottery pick today.

I have, you think it's bad now, did you miss him early in his career? I guarantee he will be better this season, people seem to forget he couldn't work on something like that until about a month before the season and by that time you have too much to do to get ready for the season, in such a small window, something had to be neglected. I think you need a wrist to dribble in the NBA, but I could be wrong. He'll never be great at it, but he's not as bad as people say either.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,004

Post#212 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:29 pm

Today was the breakout game we wanted to see. If Celtics culture works it’s magic for him, I can see this JD having a chance to have a Terry Rozier like 3rd or 4th season.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,583

Post#213 » by bisme37 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:42 pm

31to6
RealGM

Post#214 » by 31to6 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:58 pm

All this hype about JD (deservedly) and he hasn’t even CRUNKED one yet!
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,305

Post#215 » by djFan71 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:18 pm

JD to Rob lobs could be quite fun. Maybe Rob will have a slightly lower chance of dying.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,351

Post#216 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:35 am

It’s not “make or break” but the development of guys like Hauser and Davison is sneakily very important to our future. Keeping the pipeline full of young contributors is how you stay competitive long term.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,459

Post#217 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:33 am

This kid is fun. Lots of potential.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
31to6
RealGM

Post#218 » by 31to6 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:38 am

hugepatsfan wrote:It’s not “make or break” but the development of guys like Hauser and Davison is sneakily very important to our future. Keeping the pipeline full of young contributors is how you stay competitive long term.

Begarin and (to a lesser extent) Madar too — gotta cobble together that farm team despite trading away recent firsts (and getting nothing from back-to-back 14 picks).
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,945

Post#219 » by playa-hater » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:56 am

OK I don't care how premature this may sound but JD Davidson is the best 2nd round pick since I don't know who...
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,615

Post#220 » by brackdan70 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:40 am

JD…he’s here, he’s there, he’s every where. JD, JD…
Sign here

Return to Boston Celtics