ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, JD Davison!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,459

Re: Welcome to Boston, JD Davison! -- Signed to Two-Way 

Post#221 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:51 am

I'm still calling him JD, it's easy, but you can't go around with a lion's mane and only have that as a nickname. Someone needs to come up with something fitting. I don't have any idea so I'm counting on the internet (you guys).
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
poopship
Junior
And1: 608

Post#222 » by poopship » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:44 am

31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,194

Post#223 » by 31to6 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:49 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:I'm still calling him JD, it's easy, but you can't go around with a lion's mane and only have that as a nickname. Someone needs to come up with something fitting. I don't have any idea so I'm counting on the internet (you guys).

Well this doesn’t help but I can’t see his hair on the court and not think of this:
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,800

Post#224 » by Upperclass » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:57 pm

He's a bigger Nate Rob which is a really good piece in a smaller, faster nba but also has some Marcus Smart in him defensively
kivancb
Junior
And1: 410

Post#225 » by kivancb » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:18 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:I'm still calling him JD, it's easy, but you can't go around with a lion's mane and only have that as a nickname. Someone needs to come up with something fitting. I don't have any idea so I'm counting on the internet (you guys).

JD Davison
JD D
J D-D
J Diddy

he's J Diddy.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,658

Post#226 » by Homerclease » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:27 pm

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:This kid is fun. Lots of potential.

Lock him in a gym and make him shoot 8000 3’s a day and we may be into something
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#227 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:04 pm

Upperclass wrote:He's a bigger Nate Rob which is a really good piece in a smaller, faster nba but also has some Marcus Smart in him defensively

You don't like Ja Morant comps? :lol: :lol:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,757

Post#228 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Should've made one of the All-SL teams.
Geech
Junior
And1: 104

Post#229 » by Geech » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:28 am

JD2-way.
Even though I'm tired of this type of thing with numbers included in your nickname.
JD2 when he graduates from the 2-way.
Always need something to shoot for.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#230 » by Shak_Celts » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:10 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Should've made one of the All-SL teams.

His name should have put him in on its own, Jerdarrian Devontae Davison, I like it! :nod:

JDD, too bad the other D is too many letters to type every game, JD it is! :nonono: :lol:
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Post#231 » by sam_I_am » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:59 pm

Nice fluff piece on JD. I can imagine a day when JD/RW pick and rolls will generate some awesome highlights.

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/jd-davison-summer-league-biggest-surprises/?fbclid=IwAR1HiJIbOR51ZR4n-n5464yYPpbh5E9CLUS8UkrJDvFPu7-3k6DNn9RbtfY
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,704

Post#232 » by steefP2 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:00 pm

From Hollinger on the athletic: JD Davison, Boston: An athletic guard who slipped to 53rd in the draft due to concerns about his shooting and reading the game, Davison proved readier than expected for the step up in competition. Some of this might be outlier shooting — he made 7 of 15 from 3 and 12 of 14 from the line, shocking anyone who saw him at Alabama — but he also dished out 41 assists in five games and left an impact across the box score. Despite Davison being a late pick, don’t be surprised if the Celtics sign him to a roster contract; having his rookie minimum on the books would offer seven-figure luxury-tax savings.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,976

Post#233 » by darrendaye » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:30 pm

steefP2 wrote:From Hollinger on the athletic: JD Davison, Boston: An athletic guard who slipped to 53rd in the draft due to concerns about his shooting and reading the game, Davison proved readier than expected for the step up in competition. Some of this might be outlier shooting — he made 7 of 15 from 3 and 12 of 14 from the line, shocking anyone who saw him at Alabama — but he also dished out 41 assists in five games and left an impact across the box score. Despite Davison being a late pick, don’t be surprised if the Celtics sign him to a roster contract; having his rookie minimum on the books would offer seven-figure luxury-tax savings.

<Sigh> This does seem to be the more likely scenario by the day. The 13/14th man position is a bit of a tough sell. Was really hoping they'd land Okpala (signed with Sac) or Watanabe, but there are really no injury related minutes available to entice. Would have liked to at least have heard/read about some interest. Anyway....

From a financial standpoint, this does no harm to the team and benefits the cap this year. A 4 year contract vs. a 2 way then signed to a 3 year contract. But I'm going to have some questions about how they worked the chess board if this ends up in a Matt Ryan 2-way. But that wouldn't be a bad outcome but I would have wanted a higher upside wing from the land of the 2022 undrafted.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,349

Post#234 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:59 pm

We can't sign him to a 4 year contract right now. We only have a minimum salary exemption to use, which can be for a maximum of 2 years. In order to do those 4 year deals for 2nd rounders you need to have part of the MLE or cap space open. We don't have either.

We'd have to do what we did with Hauser. When we converted him last year, we gave him a 2 year deal (first year being the remainder of last season and then the team option we declined this year). Once we declined the option, we used a non-bird rights exemption to re-sign him to a 3 year deal.

There are rather significant savings though if we fill the roster out with rookies. The vet minimum will be $1,836,090. The rookie minimum will be $1,017,781. That seems small, but we're almost $20M over the tax right now with 3 spots left to go. Anything over $20M and we're taxed at $3.75 per dollar. So that extra $800K in salary carries an additional almost $3M in tax as well.

The real money move is to sign a vet player now and then dump him somewhere mid-season, then convert JD though. Because then you only pay tax on the pro rated portion of JD's deal. That's the type of maneuvering that can add up to save you like $15M in tax.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#235 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:24 am

steefP2 wrote:From Hollinger on the athletic: JD Davison, Boston: An athletic guard who slipped to 53rd in the draft due to concerns about his shooting and reading the game, Davison proved readier than expected for the step up in competition. Some of this might be outlier shooting — he made 7 of 15 from 3 and 12 of 14 from the line, shocking anyone who saw him at Alabama — but he also dished out 41 assists in five games and left an impact across the box score. Despite Davison being a late pick, don’t be surprised if the Celtics sign him to a roster contract; having his rookie minimum on the books would offer seven-figure luxury-tax savings.

the scouting report is very accurate. I think the surrounding cast, offense and less spacing in college didn't allow him to shine. He clearly showed burst and quick twitch and flashed a lot but I certainly didn't see him being this NBA ready. The shot was always a possibility with reps/training but how well he sees the floor and runs an NBA offense was not portended while at Alabama. Lots of assists but lots of turnovers too. I didn't think his size would translate but man he's really quick with his first step and maneuvering around screens negating his less than stellar size.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#236 » by Shak_Celts » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:45 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

the scouting report is very accurate. I think the surrounding cast, offense and less spacing in college didn't allow him to shine. He clearly showed burst and quick twitch and flashed a lot but I certainly didn't see him being this NBA ready. The shot was always a possibility with reps/training but how well he sees the floor and runs an NBA offense was not portended while at Alabama. Lots of assists but lots of turnovers too. I didn't think his size would translate but man he's really quick with his first step and maneuvering around screens negating his less than stellar size.

I thought he was even better than the stats show. The only quibble I had was that he wasn't aggressive enough. It felt like he could do anything he wanted but he didn't go for it enough, not just scoring, but I really think he could have averaged more assists too, which is crazy! It really did look easy for him like he was in highschool at times!

I know I tend to exaggerate how our players performed, but I honestly feel like if he knew and played like he had the green light he'd be talked about as one of the best rookie prospects after these games. More media heads would be talking about him. When he went for it, he dominated.

I'm trying to keep SL in perspective but man, I thought he had very impressive flashes. I can't wait for GLeague to start!

Edit: another thing to love, when he made mistakes he reprimanded himself, but he did it while getting back on D. Someone brought it up already but in that offensive explosion game he was ticked when he made that careless turnover even though the game was won and he had balled throughout!

He has a lot of work to do, but he already looks very good!
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#237 » by Hal14 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:56 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

I thought he was even better than the stats show. The only quibble I had was that he wasn't aggressive enough. It felt like he could do anything he wanted but he didn't go for it enough, not just scoring, but I really think he could have averaged more assists too, which is crazy! It really did look easy for him like he was in highschool at times!

I know I tend to exaggerate how our players performed, but I honestly feel like if he knew and played like he had the green light he'd be talked about as one of the best rookie prospects after these games. More media heads would be talking about him. When he went for it, he dominated.

I'm trying to keep SL in perspective but man, I thought he had very impressive flashes. I can't wait for GLeague to start!

Edit: another thing to love, when he made mistakes he reprimanded himself, but he did it while getting back on D. Someone brought it up already but in that offensive explosion game he was ticked when he made that careless turnover even though the game was won and he had balled throughout!

He has a lot of work to do, but he already looks very good!

100%.

Him and Begarin. Only 19. They both have talent, they push the pace. Both love making lob passes - and are very good at making them on time and on target. Keep them, develop them and they both can end up being VERY good contributors for us down the road. They could both end up being tremendous value at pick 45 and 53.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,757

Post#238 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Oct 3, 2022 6:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Happy birthday, superstar!
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Post#239 » by sam_I_am » Mon Oct 3, 2022 9:24 pm

It’s always a good sign when a rookie with a strong summer league looks just as good against the training camp competition.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#240 » by Elrod is Back » Tue Oct 4, 2022 2:35 pm

Carsen Edwards says Thank You.

Return to Boston Celtics