ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, JD Davison!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Re: Welcome to Boston, JD Davison! 

Post#41 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:24 am

I like the upside. With 53rd pick you can`t really ask for more... Maybe he develops into a good player you never know... He is 19, so lets see how he looks after 1 year in the gleague...
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,182

Post#42 » by soxfan2003 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:26 am

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
poopship wrote:Seems like a player with a high ceiling. Like Brad's not trying to hit singles in the draft which is valid, right? Why posters are disappointed is totally understandable thought, considering there are still so many known players left. This was always going to happen after picking in this draft.

I wonder what the hit rate on picks after 50 is? It can't be much higher than 1/100 that actually do anything at all in the NBA?

It is much higher than that for making a team but probably only around 3-4% for doing something somewhat useful to really being a high impact player.

Manu Ginobli was picked in late 50's and Anthony Mason, a former 6th man of the year was picked at 53. As much as I think he wasn't a player to win a championship with in a high minute role, IT was picked at 60.

Patty Mills was another very good late pick in the 50's.

But for the most part players picked in the 50's never contribute much on the court in games even if they make an NBA roster. That being said, I don't discount the value of good practice players that can help mimic the opposition teams strengths. If the Celtics could have had someone mimic GP2 better, perhaps he comes up with a few less steals.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,991

Post#43 » by Floody100 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:37 am

Is anyone else waiting on BostonCouchGM & Pritchard’s wedding invitation ? Asking for a friend.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,877

Post#44 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:00 am

Well, since he averages nearly 3 Turnovers per game, at least he already knows how to hand the ball to Miami and Golden State.
Jammer
General Manager

Post#45 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:02 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:“Davison's 28% turnover percentage will be the highest of any player drafted in the past decade.”

Leave it to the Celtics to corner the market on loose handles.
Jammer
General Manager

Post#46 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:15 am

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
poopship wrote:Seems like a player with a high ceiling. Like Brad's not trying to hit singles in the draft which is valid, right? Why posters are disappointed is totally understandable thought, considering there are still so many known players left. This was always going to happen after picking in this draft.

I wonder what the hit rate on picks after 50 is? It can't be much higher than 1/100 that actually do anything at all in the NBA?

Don't know what it is currently, but around 7 years ago the best 1 or 2 undrafted players would typically be better than anyone taken pick 50 or later, with a few years of exceptions (Ginoboli, Isaiah Thomas).
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 3,002

Post#47 » by CelticFaninLBC » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:15 am

Floody100 wrote:Is anyone else waiting on BostonCouchGM & Pritchard’s wedding invitation ? Asking for a friend.

The measurement conspiracy is pretty odd. Am waiting for BCGM to claim Pritchard has 50 inch vertical which far surpasses Davison's 44.5 vertical.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,714

Post#48 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:17 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

BREAKING NEWS: Grant and JD are about to get it.

First time Grant Williams has been seen or heard from, since game 7 of the Bucks series.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,714

Post#49 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:19 am

Ja Davison.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,202

Post#50 » by 31to6 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:46 am

after a draft I don’t watch, I head here first to see who got the “welcome to Boston” thread(s), and see what the fiends think of it.

And this time, sure, I like it! And am here for the “oh boy we drafted _______, championship assured” posts.

On to summer league!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,976

Post#51 » by darrendaye » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:42 am

Definitely a guy who has been on mock draft sites for a couple of years not the slue of Johnny come latelies that made up much of this year's draft. Wasn't a guy I ever really became interested in, some of that was height bias but age in his favor here. Athleticism his drawing card. Went to sleep when it became apparent they weren't going to trade into the 1st round, so I'm hunting for info this morning and will be back. Also still haven't looked at summary of picks so don't yet know who else was available at the time..

EDIT: Ok, no one picked after 53 was super interesting to me. Wish they traded up a bit for Kendall Brown my only disappointment. Waiting to see who, if any, UDFA guy(s) they sign for two-way to react. While I can gripe about another under 6'4" guard, Davison's athleticism stands out in the group.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#52 » by 165bows » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:07 am

return2glory wrote:

JD had a huge game vs a top 3 team in Gonzaga.

I like his rhythm, seems like he pushes the pace.

He must have real small hands.

No one was trying to get open on that OOB play? Still, hard to find someone that turns the ball over more than Vasilije Micic. I suppose this team would find them though.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,758

Post#53 » by Froob » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:07 am

Hmm a very Danny Ainge type of pick, I like it. Super raw explosive athlete. Tough to pass on a guy like explosive at 53.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,467

Post#54 » by BK_2020 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:18 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

The cost for moving up was money and a future second, Brad.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,467

Post#55 » by BK_2020 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
captain green wrote:Ya typically my m.o. is hating tiny guys but I can't help but to like the tape!! Heard we got turned down on two trades ..

Since when is 6'3'' tiny for a PG?

Doubt he’s even 6’1” in sneakers. So all of Pritchard haters saying HE is small will surely keep that same energy regarding Davidson right?!

6 feet and 1/2 inch w/o shoes at the combine. Wingspan is ok at 6'6.5.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#56 » by Justin33 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:25 am

He's got a little Nate Robinson in him
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,959

Post#57 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:27 am

darrendaye wrote:Definitely a guy who has been on mock draft sites for a couple of years not the slue of Johnny come latelies that made up much of this year's draft. Wasn't a guy I ever really became interested in, some of that was height bias but age in his favor here. Athleticism his drawing card. Went to sleep when it became apparent they weren't going to trade into the 1st round, so I'm hunting for info this morning and will be back. Also still haven't looked at summary of picks so don't yet know who else was available at the time..

EDIT: Ok, no one picked after 53 was super interesting to me. Wish they traded up a bit for Kendall Brown my only disappointment. Waiting to see who, if any, UDFA guy(s) they sign for two-way to react. While I can gripe about another under 6'4" guard, Davison's athleticism stands out in the group.

he looks really thick and strong to me too.

Build like Marcus smart a bit. That should let him play much bigger.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#58 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:47 am

Some tidbits from theathletic about JD:

J.D. Davison | 6-foot-3, guard | 19 years old, freshman | Alabama

Vecenie’s ranking: 54.

More than any other player, I thought Davison made a substantial mistake leaving college for the NBA Draft. He has upside to play in the NBA at some point, but his skill set and tools are so raw. It doesn’t feel like he has a great understanding of what he’s doing out there against high-level talent, which is a function of playing against it less often than most elite-level prospects due to his high school experience against lower-level competition. It’s possible Davison could eventually figure it out. He has the athleticism to do so. But I think he’s multiple years away from that, and I’m not sure it’s worth investing in a smaller guard with defensive and shooting concerns with a guaranteed contract. He’s a two-way contract player all the way for me, the kind of guy who is worth a developmental flier but not actual substantial investment at this stage – something that he would have received had he stayed in school at Alabama.

Hollinger’s team fit: Davison is likely playing on a 2-way; he’s young and has explosive leaping ability but is too wild with the ball and has to tighten up his outside shot.

Link: https://theathletic.com/3376384/2022/06/24/jd-davison-nba-draft/
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,297

Post#59 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:22 am

It's really rare to find a contributor at that spot in the draft, I'm hoping he can buck that trend. As a reminder, Morris, Cancar and Brooks are the only players from the second round of the 2017 draft still with the team that drafted them.

I had hoped that we had moved on from this archetype of player but if he can play at all in the league it's still a win.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,999

Post#60 » by cl2117 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:25 am

I mean why not? At #53 you can't have any expectations. Get a guy with a lot of raw talent, see what happens.

I'd expect him to spend the entire season in the G-League given that he probably left college a year or two early.

Celtics need to do whatever they can to start finding/developing deep finds like how Miami has had a ton of success doing. Such a valuable skillset as an organization to be able to get cheap talent both in terms of monetary terms and assets required to acquire them.

Glad we've got some stashed guys who are lottery tickets. Hopefully a guy like Davison and maybe 1-2 UDFA can help create a pipeline of potential niche roleplayers.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.

Return to Boston Celtics