ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, JD Davison!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Re: Welcome to Boston, JD Davison! 

Post#61 » by Higgs Boston » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:35 am

I dont get it, why some people is complaining about his height? he is a pg and 6'3.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,212

Post#62 » by 31to6 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:07 pm

Just totally spit-balling, but seems like over the next three years a 50% chance our PG situation remains some combo of Smart/White/Pritchard, and a 10-15% chance Madar makes an impact*, and a 10-15% chance this guy does, and what does that leave -- a 20 -- 30% chance we do something else at that position.

(*for these purposes impact = make the roster as at least the 3rd string PG)
**source: my ass

I like the pick! And I like that Brad has gone draft-and-stash when appropriate, and now took a swing at an upside guy when appropriate.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
31to6
RealGM

Post#63 » by 31to6 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:09 pm

I like the way Brad seems to operate. And FWIW he watched JD practice at Alabama in October.

Mike Schmidt is like: "you just need to learn how to play, right?"
31to6
RealGM

Post#64 » by 31to6 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:12 pm

Jammer wrote:Well, since he averages nearly 3 Turnovers per game, at least he already knows how to hand the ball to Miami and Golden State.

Celtics are like "okay we've got turnover issues, quick search NBAdraft.net profiles for 'turnover issues' and let's take that guy on the assumption that that means he will FIX turnover issues"
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,744

Post#65 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:28 pm

I'm not sure how anybody can be upset with this pick. I literally have no idea if he's even going to make it in the NBA but at 56 it isn't like there's a lot of good options left.
*Insert witty signature here.*
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,614

Post#66 » by 165bows » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:38 pm

31to6 wrote:Just totally spit-balling, but seems like over the next three years a 50% chance our PG situation remains some combo of Smart/White/Pritchard, and a 10-15% chance Madar makes an impact*, and a 10-15% chance this guy does, and what does that leave -- a 20 -- 30% chance we do something else at that position.

I like the pick! And I like that Brad has gone draft-and-stash when appropriate, and now took a swing at an upside guy when appropriate.

They have gone "little guy (maaaaybe he's a) PG" three of their last four picks lol.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,818

Post#67 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:59 pm

Shares the same agent as Paolo Banchero. So think of it as almost getting the top pick in the draft.
31to6
RealGM

Post#68 » by 31to6 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:59 pm

165bows wrote:
31to6 wrote:Just totally spit-balling, but seems like over the next three years a 50% chance our PG situation remains some combo of Smart/White/Pritchard, and a 10-15% chance Madar makes an impact*, and a 10-15% chance this guy does, and what does that leave -- a 20 -- 30% chance we do something else at that position.

They have gone "little guy (maaaaybe he's a) PG" three of their last four picks lol.

Pritchard/Madar/Begarin/Davison — I’m always all about drafting bigs but this year I didn’t even read up on them. We can always bring back Enes for the 3rd straight summer:)

In his draft night comments Brad cited JD’s ability to get into the lane as valuable, and it’s easy to see how that would be useful on our team, as long as it isn’t Dennis Schroeder I guess?
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,714

Post#69 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:31 pm

In JD, we finally have someone that Rob can throw lobs to.
return2glory
RealGM

Post#70 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:35 pm

There is a lot of Ja in JD's game in these highlights.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,468

Post#71 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:36 pm

The below was last year, out of HS obviously. There’s real talent there, but chances are he never really contributes.

Overall recruiting rankings:
Rivals: 13
247Sports: 16
ESPN: 15
return2glory
RealGM

Post#72 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:58 pm

I don't want to hype of JD too much, but you have to think if he stayed for his 2nd year in college, he could have been taken in the 1st round.

Looking forward to seeing him in SL.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,033

Post#73 » by jfs1000d » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:03 pm

Hate to say this, I absolutely hate the hair. Give me a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#74 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:07 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Hate to say this, I absolutely hate the hair. Give me a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the nerve of a teenage kid choosing to express himself and look different than others. The horror!
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,800

Post#75 » by Upperclass » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:09 pm

He could be Smarts replacement in a few years.. and those two will cause some damage defensively if they play together for a few minutes at a time.. really really good pick where he was taken.. plays a bit like Nate Robinson when he has it going (high energy)
LenBiasRIP
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#76 » by LenBiasRIP » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:10 pm

return2glory wrote:He brings the ball too slow on his jumper. That will make it harder for him to get his shot off but he is fast and can jump.

If he brings it up any faster, he risks getting his hand caught in his fro. And just wait until you see how fast he is when he moves on from his bobblehead fetish. :crazy: :nod: :lol:
Hal14
RealGM

Post#77 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:18 pm

It's a fair point. Which is why he was not my top choice. I would have gone with either Makoundou or Barlow. Both also high upside guys but with more size and not PG's.

But they chose Davison over them. Davison arguably had the highest upside out of anyone left on the board.

Pritchard is in trade rumors right now. Who knows, he might be gone soon. Madar might never play for us. If he does, he could MAYBE be a solid backup PG.

Smart? He was really good this season. But he's not a true PG. Davison is going to spend the first 1 (probably even 2) years developing in the g league. So by the time the 2024-2025 season rolls around, who the heck knows what the rest of the roster will look like. For all we know, Smart, Pritchard and Madar will all be gone by then.

Brad went with talent and upside here. Someone who isn't ready now. But they didn't want a rookie who is ready now. They want vets out there. They want the 8-10 rotation guys to be battle tested vets so we can win that damn ring. and who knows, maybe in a couple years we have a guy in davison who's ready to dominate. if not, oh well - it was just the 53rd pick.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,005

Post#78 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:29 pm

I liked his demeanor in the interview - reminds me a little bit like Smart. I like the way he can finish at the rim at 6-3 too, he has a little beast mode in him. Can’t say I expect him to contribute in a meaningful way but he might be a fun garbage time player who has some good SL moments too.

He’s in the entertainment business now and that haircut is fun - I hope he keeps it.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#79 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:40 pm

Again, IMO the highest upside guys left on the board were Makoundou, Barlow and davison. But Makoundou turns 22 later this year. Also, he was pretty unknown in the mainstream until the last month or 2 so maybe our staff just didn't really know much about him.

As for Barlow vs Davison. Barlow is actually a little younger and MUCH bigger. And definitely a better, more versatile defender. Both are pretty athletic and explosive, davison a little more athletic and explosive though. I would have gone barlow over davison personally. But I can see an argument for either. There must have been something our staff saw to make them take davison over barlow. One possible explanation is that brad did say to the media how they've been watching davison for a year now. guess what? at this time last year, no one knew who the hell barlow was. he was not ranked very high coming out of HS (whereas davison was a 5 star recruit, ranked as a top 15 recruit in the country). it. wasn't until the last 3 or 4 months that barlow has really emerged and become more well known. also, while one might look at the stats and think barlow was better this season, you gotta also consider that barlow was playing in the overtime elite - he was playing against prep school kids all year, whereas Davison was playing in the gauntlet known as the SEC. So you got Barlow whose resume is 1 good season vs weak competition vs davison who all during HS was a top player in the country, along with an up and down season in SEC - so they went with davison.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#80 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:42 pm

Upperclass wrote:He could be Smarts replacement in a few years.. and those two will cause some damage defensively if they play together for a few minutes at a time.. really really good pick where he was taken.. plays a bit like Nate Robinson when he has it going (high energy)

Yup. davison is kind of like a taller nate robinson. he's gonna be fun to watch. just don't expect him to contribute anything this season. we gotta be patient with him. 2-way contract, spend the year in g league, with a little bit of reps on the big club during garbage time.

Return to Boston Celtics