ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, JD Davison!

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Re: Welcome to Boston, JD Davison! 

Post#81 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:47 pm

return2glory wrote:I don't want to hype of JD too much, but you have to think if he stayed for his 2nd year in college, he could have been taken in the 1st round.

Looking forward to seeing him in SL.

100%. He could have even gone top 20 next year if he stayed in school for another year, worked on his game and had a really big sophomore season. But it is what it is.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,877

Post#82 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:52 pm

Check out Davison's hairdo. It takes Smart's style to a whole new level.

Next thing you know, Brad's gonna tell Prichard to let his hair grow and eventually Pritchard will have one of those 1960's Beehive Bubble hairstyles and Brad will have him jumping center while listing Pritch at 6' 11"...
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,575

Post#83 » by bisme37 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:53 pm

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,509

Post#84 » by Parliament10 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:06 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Being from Cambridge, Massachusetts, I was lucky enough to watch Patrick Ewing play in High School.
He was NBA-material, back then. It was often like watching a Man, playing Basketball with 1st Graders.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Jammer
General Manager

Post#85 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:08 pm

Maybe all those jokes of undersized PG’s in the past should have been directed at Brad and not Danny.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Post#86 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:11 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Being from Cambridge, Massachusetts, I was lucky enough to watch Patrick Ewing play in High School.
He was NBA-material, back then. It was often like watching a Man, playing Basketball with 1st Graders.

I watched him and Rumeal Robinson. It’s crazy how superior these elite players are even when they don’t pan out as great NBA players. Cambridge ran an inbound play from half court where they just alley ooped it Rumeal and if any team tried anything but a bounce pass he would pick it off for a layup. They used to have Ewing catch the ball at half court on inbounds play and then at 7 ft tall he would throw Magic like laser bounce passes to teammates for layups.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,778

Post#87 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:23 pm

Jammer wrote:Maybe all those jokes of undersized PG’s in the past should have been directed at Brad and not Danny.

Cs have made two picks with him at the helm. One was Begarin. What are we doing here?
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#88 » by Half-Full » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:34 pm

Dogen wrote:It's going to take some work for him to slow down and reduce the turnovers. The guy goes right to "11".

He reminds me a bit of Rob Williams. Don't be fooled by that slow southern drawl, this guy has a sharp mind for basketball, and like Rob it will take him a year or two but his athleticism and skills will carry him.

Here's a really cool interview with ESPN where they go over some tape:

A really cool interview indeed! Also, I think your comparison to RWill III is spot on. J.D. clearly does have a sharp mind for basketball. Coupled with his athleticism and skills, I feel he has a good chance to make it.
sam_I_am
RealGM

Post#89 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:34 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Jammer wrote:Maybe all those jokes of undersized PG’s in the past should have been directed at Brad and not Danny.

Cs have made two picks with him at the helm. One was Begarin. What are we doing here?

It looks like we are drafting physical 2 way players. I like it even though both are statistically unlikely to become significant NBA contributors.

I knew nothing about him before draft but I love the idea of taking a swing on a guy with ambidextrous ball handling, elite sprinting speed and a 45 inch vertical. His 6-4 wing span means he is going to be useless switching onto bigger players and has no positional versatility.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#90 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:45 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

It looks like we are drafting physical 2 way players. I like it even though both are statistically unlikely to become significant NBA contributors.

I knew nothing about him before draft but I love the idea of taking a swing on a guy with ambidextrous ball handling, elite sprinting speed and a 45 inch vertical. His 6-4 wing span means he is going to be useless switching onto bigger players and has no positional versatility.

Different figures listed in draft combine stats: https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/?CF=POSITION*E*PG

37 max vertical and 6'6.5" wing span.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#91 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:52 pm

Davison is not an undersized PG. Average height of an NBA PG is 6'2.5". That's literally what Davison is. And he's got a 37" vertical leap
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
sam_I_am
RealGM

Post#92 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:53 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Cs have made two picks with him at the helm. One was Begarin. What are we doing here?

Different figures listed in draft combine stats: https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/?CF=POSITION*E*PG

37 max vertical and 6'6.5" wing span.

I didn’t see a max vertical on your link. 6-6 wing span is still not great but everywhere I look I see that he has the best vertical in draft - was 44.5 in high school and got better.

From NBA draft.net:

Boston CelticsBoston JD Davison B On pure athleticism alone, Davison would be a lottery pick. He is a potential dunk contest candidate, thanks to his 44.5-inch vertical and his incredible body control in the air. He is also one of this draft’s elite sprinters – few can hang with him in a baseline-to-baseline foot race. He even shows terrific playmaking instincts, averaging more than four assists per game as a freshman for Alabama. His shooting and decision-making, however, needs significant work if he hopes to stick on an NBA roster. He is a 30% shooter from 3 and he turns the ball over nearly three times per game.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,529

Post#93 » by canman1971 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:56 pm

I don't know anything about any player that was drafted. What I do know is Davison is a Celtic and I will wish him the best and hope it works out.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,976

Post#94 » by darrendaye » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:12 pm

return2glory wrote:In JD, we finally have someone that Rob can throw lobs to.

Guessing said mostly in jest, but, it's a trait I wanted to see them acquire. Just want to see them do it again with someone who may be 22/23 rotation worthy. Want more baseline cutting and someone besides JT/JB/Rob who can finish loudly.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#95 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:16 pm

I was wondering... if Ivey was in 2021 draft where would he end up? His stats in his freshman year were even worse than Davisons...

Maybe JD can make a similar leap...

Sent from my SM-T530 using RealGM mobile app
Hal14
RealGM

Post#96 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:18 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

He measured a 6'6.5" wingspan at the draft combine, which is about as good as you're gonna find for a PG. He also averaged over 10 rebounds a game in HS and used his 37" vertical leap to get up above the rim to block shots.

He's a ways away, but has the potential to be a fairly switchable defender down the road..
Hal14
RealGM

Post#97 » by Hal14 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:21 pm

thebirdman wrote:I was wondering... if Ivey was in 2021 draft where would he end up? His stats in his freshman year were even worse than Davisons...

Maybe JD can make a similar leap...

Sent from my SM-T530 using RealGM mobile app

Good point. Prior to this past college basketball season, I actually had Davison ranked barely ahead of Ivey on my draft big board. You watch Davison play in HS and in college, there's flashes of Ivey/Morant/Westbrook/Rose. I'm not saying he's gonna be as good as those guys, but even a lesser version of those guys and he's a steal at 53..
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#98 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:26 pm

Guards with his explosion do not come often. Zero question his first step will translate. Really will come down to:

1. Will he defend at a high level?
2. Will he learn to play off the ball effectively?
3. Can he become a passable shooter?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#99 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Jammer
General Manager

Post#100 » by Jammer » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:31 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Davison is not an undersized PG. Average height of an NBA PG is 6'2.5". That's literally what Davison is. And he's got a 37" vertical leap

He measured 6’ 0.5” without shoes.

Return to Boston Celtics