ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 3

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,084

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 3 

Post#761 » by Ed Pinkney » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:29 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:Today I watched 'The Usual Suspects' for the third time (maybe even fourth). Always a treat. Then I learned that the movie almost didn't get made because the financial backers didn't think anyone in the cast had star power. (The cast: Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Benicio del Toro, Kevin Pollack, Stephen Baldwin, Pete Postlethwaite...). Things only got back on track when Chazz Palminteri, who had a higher profile than the others at the time, signed on. Kevin Spacey's career took off immediately after.

It's one of those movies that usually comes to mind straight away if I'm asked "what's your favourite movie of all time?". It's definitely up there for me, but I think my opinion might be slightly coloured by the impact that the end/twist had the first time I saw it.
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,857

Post#762 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:32 pm

Across the Spiderverse on Netflix as of today, everyone with Netflix should watch. Doesn’t matter if you aren’t a comic book fan, just watch it.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,748

Post#763 » by Tatumfor2 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:53 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:Across the Spiderverse on Netflix as of today, everyone with Netflix should watch. Doesn’t matter if you aren’t a comic book fan, just watch it.

Don't look if you haven't watched it yet!

Spoiler:
I wasn't expecting the "to be continued" at the end. I probably wouldn't have gone to see it if i had known.
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,295

Post#764 » by Ben-N1ce » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:10 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:Today I watched 'The Usual Suspects' for the third time (maybe even fourth). Always a treat. Then I learned that the movie almost didn't get made because the financial backers didn't think anyone in the cast had star power. (The cast: Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Benicio del Toro, Kevin Pollack, Stephen Baldwin, Pete Postlethwaite...). Things only got back on track when Chazz Palminteri, who had a higher profile than the others at the time, signed on. Kevin Spacey's career took off immediately after.

Absolute classic.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#765 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed Nov 1, 2023 2:52 am

A bit of random music stuff for those who are interested in such things.

Mike Portnoy is returning to Dream Theater after leaving the band in 2010. Mike Mangini is an amazing drummer, but the song writing definitely took a hit after Portnoy left so I am keen to see what the next album is like.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-announces-return-of-drummer-mike-portnoy

Devin Townsend is one of my favourite artists and I have never managed to see him live. He is touring Australia in the next couple of weeks and I have tickets to go and see his Sydney show (which I am pretty excited for).

;pp=ygUXZGV2aW4gdG93bnNlbmQgZGVhZGhlYWQ%3D

And another of my favourite artists is releasing a new EP next month (if you like melodic, instrumental prog).

;pp=ygULcGxpbmkgZW1iZXI%3D
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,577

Post#766 » by bisme37 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 10:01 pm

Spider Man: Across the Spider Verse is pretty amazing. On Netflix now as Ghostface pointed out. My only complaint is I hate when movies end with a cliffhanger, but I'm very excited for the next one in the series. Just a good exciting movie even if you aren't usually an animation fan.

Also enjoyed A Haunting in Venice. New movie on Hulu with Kenneth Branaugh, Tina Fey, Kelly Reilly and others. It's an Agatha Christie murder mystery with some humor and a good amount of spookiness.

And I just discovered there's a new season of For All Mankind coming out on Apple in a week or two! Such a great show so now's your time to catch up if you haven't watched it.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,794

Post#767 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Nov 5, 2023 6:26 pm

Disappointed to see the poor reviews for All the Light We Cannot See. I remember loving the book when it came out. Liked the mini-series adaptation (A+ musical score, A- lead performances). Always rooting for Shawn Levy being involved in good projects.

If you haven’t seen it yet, something similar that is a must-watch for cinephiles is the German film The Lives of Others.

Also just finished S1 of Gen-V. Fun watch.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,897

Post#768 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:23 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Disappointed to see the poor reviews for All the Light We Cannot See. I remember loving the book when it came out. Liked the mini-series adaptation (A+ musical score, A- lead performances). Always rooting for Shawn Levy being involved in good projects.

If you haven’t seen it yet, something similar that is a must-watch for cinephiles is the German film The Lives of Others.

Just finished "All the Light..." and I thought it was brilliant. A little slow ramping up in the first episode but otherwise very good.

Also if you haven't checked this one out time to get your life together:

and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#769 » by bisme37 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:25 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Disappointed to see the poor reviews for All the Light We Cannot See. I remember loving the book when it came out. Liked the mini-series adaptation (A+ musical score, A- lead performances). Always rooting for Shawn Levy being involved in good projects.

Yeah I watched the 1st episode of All the Light last night and it was perfectly good. I'll prob finish it up tonight unless our game goes to triple OT or something. Whenever a book adaptation gets poor reviews I always wonder if the show/movie actually sucks or if the reviewers are just grumpy that it's not exactly like the book. Seems like the latter in this case imo.

And yes Gen V was a lot of fun. Also, fans of The Boys and Gen V should check out Invincible on Amazon. It's an animated series from the same creators and really good.

One more little note: The new movie Quiz Lady on Hulu is a fun watch.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#770 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Nov 7, 2023 2:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Lowkey great show. Watch it.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,823

Post#771 » by NuckyPowell » Wed Nov 8, 2023 5:01 pm

Piano cover of Ignition Remix.

Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#772 » by Ed Pinkney » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:26 am

So the Devin Townsend show was awesome. Another bucket list live artist ticked off (been waiting to see him for about 25 years).

I saw the second season of Reacher comes out on Prime next month. I quite enjoyed the first season. The trailer for the Netflix Last Airbender series looks ok as well.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,068

Post#773 » by exculpatory » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:26 am

X
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#774 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:02 am

This looks incredible (especially if you like Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli).

KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#775 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:50 pm

Oh baby

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#776 » by bisme37 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:03 pm

Only 2 episodes so far but the new season of Fargo is dope. Juno Temple plays the lead character and she's killing it. On FX and Hulu.

Also, I haven't watched yet but the new FX/Hulu show Murder at the End of the World looks really good.

Another one on Hulu... a new Irish show called Obituary. Enjoyed it. Reporter gal starts killing people so she'll have obituaries to write for the local paper. It's got some mystery and humor and is a good watch.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,794

Post#777 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:56 pm

Halfway thru this French crime drama miniseries called Vortex (on Netflix). It's like The Lake House but it's a crime mystery lol. I dig it.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#778 » by bisme37 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:58 pm

I enjoyed the movie Fingernails on Apple. Unique and thoughtful and very well acted.

And Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on Apple is good and fun. Like a blockbuster Godzilla movie but a TV series.

;t=43s
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#779 » by KillahGhostface » Fri Dec 1, 2023 1:19 am

Oh baby

Read on Twitter
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,897