ImageImageImage

Joe Mazzulla Thread, Head Coach – (COTM, Dec 2023 & March 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Re: Joe Mazzulla Thread, Head Coach – (COTM, Dec 2023) 

Post#1441 » by tfmiii » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:43 am

fallguy wrote:Joe always loves the shots.

Read on Twitter

Of course, they're 3s lol
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,778

Post#1442 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:46 pm

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,778

Post#1443 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:06 am

Read on Twitter

Some of you are like, “so what do you spend the 80% on?”
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#1444 » by Hal14 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:12 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's a cool quote. Helpful context. So at times in games if people are raising their eye brows about him not calling a timeout or keeping a starter on the bench a little bit longer or something, just now that certain moves might appear to be detrimental to us winning *that* game but he is tinkering and trying out certain things in real game situations so to see how they work, how our guys react to them, how our opponents react to them because then he knows whether to deploy those strategies again in the future.

It's smart.

If you always just go by the book and stick with the exact same way of doing things (sets, defensive schemes, timeout strategies, rotations, etc.) you don't evolve, you don't innovate, you don't get better.

He might try something in a game to experiment. And since it's the first time he's trying it in a game, maybe the other team goes on a run. But then perhaps we try it again in a different game (maybe even a playoff game) and that time, maybe it'll work better and we'll win the game because of it - and it'll work better that time since it's not the first time we did it in a game - we already worked the kinks out in that previous game.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,378

Post#1445 » by Red2 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:31 pm

Make no
Mistake; joe will cost us a title. Tatum snd brown need a coach who will get on their ass; not a coach who lets his team blow a 20 point lead because he wants them to “ figure it out” on their own
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#1446 » by Hal14 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:46 pm

Red2 wrote:Make no
Mistake; joe will cost us a title. Tatum snd brown need a coach who will get on their ass

Read on Twitter

Red2 wrote:not a coach who lets his team blow a 20 point lead because he wants them to “ figure it out” on their own

I'm a new Hal, so I'll just say no comment :)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
tfribs45
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,180

Post#1447 » by tfribs45 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:47 pm

Red2 wrote:Make no
Mistake; joe will cost us a title. Tatum snd brown need a coach who will get on their ass; not a coach who lets his team blow a 20 point lead because he wants them to “ figure it out” on their own

our only hope is Sam, Van Gundy, and CO. grab a hold of the wheel if the team is spiraling down the road lol. There's so much knowledge / experience on our bench, the Brass won't allow it to slip away! Or will they?! It's banner 18 or bust this year!
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,546

Post#1448 » by shackles10 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:21 pm

If we don't win a title this year it'll be because the Jays weren't what we needed them to be in the playoffs and/or health. Even if the Jays are a little short at times we have guys to make up the slack in White/Zinger/Jrue so it's mostly health imo. I'm not saying coaching doesn't matter, but we have an incredibly talented roster. Joe is good enough to win with this roster no different than Doc was good enough to win with that roster and countless other non-Celtics examples of guys who were exposed when the roster no longer was championship level.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,939

Post#1449 » by playa-hater » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:38 pm

shackles10 wrote:If we don't win a title this year it'll be because the Jays weren't what we needed them to be in the playoffs and/or health. Even if the Jays are a little short at times we have guys to make up the slack in White/Zinger/Jrue so it's mostly health imo. I'm not saying coaching doesn't matter, but we have an incredibly talented roster. Joe is good enough to win with this roster no different than Doc was good enough to win with that roster and countless other non-Celtics examples of guys who were exposed when the roster no longer was championship level.

Yes a Huge part is up to the Jays of course. But couldn't better coaching get "more" out of them and the team? The margin of victory in the playoffs are usually very close. Especially in the closing minutes.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1450 » by shackles10 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:57 pm

playa-hater wrote:
shackles10 wrote:If we don't win a title this year it'll be because the Jays weren't what we needed them to be in the playoffs and/or health. Even if the Jays are a little short at times we have guys to make up the slack in White/Zinger/Jrue so it's mostly health imo. I'm not saying coaching doesn't matter, but we have an incredibly talented roster. Joe is good enough to win with this roster no different than Doc was good enough to win with that roster and countless other non-Celtics examples of guys who were exposed when the roster no longer was championship level.

Yes a Huge part is up to the Jays of course. But couldn't better coaching get "more" out of them and the team? The margin of victory in the playoffs are usually very close. Especially in the closing minutes.

They've had 3 coaches in 4 years and plenty of post season experience. A better coach could help sure, but I'm not convinced a better one was really available as the guys often mentioned with coaching experience have more in common with Doc than Pop, and the rest haven't been a head coach before so you can't be sure what you'd be getting at least for this year if it's year one for them. I'm not saying Joe is terrible either as he's average at worst imo at this point. He's second guessed, as all coaches are, but still think he's at least "good enough".
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,939

Post#1451 » by playa-hater » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:10 pm

shackles10 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

They've had 3 coaches in 4 years and plenty of post season experience. A better coach could help sure, but I'm not convinced a better one was really available as the guys often mentioned with coaching experience have more in common with Doc than Pop, and the rest haven't been a head coach before so you can't be sure what you'd be getting at least for this year if it's year one for them. I'm not saying Joe is terrible either as he's average at worst imo at this point. He's second guessed, as all coaches are, but still think he's at least "good enough".

The thing is all of Brad-Ime and Joe are all enablers. None seem to have enough respect of the Jays to force them to "not go Iso ball went it counts the most. So yes It has happened for years but Boston constantly hiring a coach with same type of attributes and weaknesses doesn't lead to much change When it counts the most.

As for who may be better, I don't really know how Sam Cassell would be as a HC but he is a former NBA player and champion. I feel he would command more and possibly far more respect from our players and listen better. I mean Joe doesn't have a Big BB resume and is so young he isn't much older than our players.

Mayber Joe, Like Brad, would excel more with a young EGO less rebuilding team than this group of extremely talented and ready to win now roster.

Whatever. I stopped trying to debate much at this time about coaching since there is nothing going to happen this year.

I am hoping that this team with quite a few great chemistry players and talent can overcome any weaknesses I perceive in coaching.

But I am just not ready for another close but no Cigar season.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1452 » by shackles10 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:27 pm

playa-hater wrote:
shackles10 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

The thing is all of Brad-Ime and Joe are all enablers. None seem to have enough respect of the Jays to force them to "not go Iso ball went it counts the most. So yes It has happened for years but Boston constantly hiring a coach with same type of attributes and weaknesses doesn't lead to much change When it counts the most.

As for who may be better, I don't really know how Sam Cassell would be as a HC but he is a former NBA player and champion. I feel he would command more and possibly far more respect from our players and listen better. I mean Joe doesn't have a Big BB resume and is so young he isn't much older than our players.

Mayber Joe, Like Brad, would excel more with a young EGO less rebuilding team than this group of extremely talented and ready to win now roster.

Whatever. I stopped trying to debate much at this time about coaching since there is nothing going to happen this year.

I am hoping that this team with quite a few great chemistry players and talent can overcome any weaknesses I perceive in coaching.

But I am just not ready for another close but no Cigar season.

I'm not saying Joe will turn into him, but I remember the jury being out on Spo with a contending team early as well. Mostly I agreed with them because optics wise he just seemed clueless and those Finals post game media sessions were bad with many "deer in the headlights" moments. Now he's the guy who's beating us singlehandedly according to many posts on here.

I was very critical of Joe last year, but like you mentioned gave it up because they're committed to him for now. I trust Brad and I don't know if it's my lack of focus on it or actual improvement, but Joe hasn't bothered me as much this year.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#1453 » by 165bows » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:45 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Some of you are like, “so what do you spend the 80% on?”

We’ve talked about this a bit. I want to have something pithy to say but really it’s just interesting to hear how they actually do it.
Edit: well technically the 3rd quarter is pretty darn close to 80% of the game :lol:
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,068

Post#1454 » by exculpatory » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:29 pm

He is an incompetent buffoon.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,908

Post#1455 » by The Corey's » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:34 pm

This guy better win a title because it's really gonna bad for him if they don't.

He's sensitive as ****.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,538

Post#1456 » by Fierce1 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 12:01 am

I think what's important is the Jays buys in.

If the coach forces his will on the players, it will be like what happened to Adrian Griffin.

What some of the Celtic fans need to realize is if the coach doesn't have the support of the star players, the coach will be gone.

Brad Stevens was a great coach for the Celtics.

But Brad lost the locker room.

The result was Brad losing his job as Celtics coach.

Last season I wasn't convinced the Celtic defense was as good as when Ime was coach.

But this season Joe has proven he's up to the task.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 15,166

Post#1457 » by RB34 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:30 am

I’m sorry if this seems a bit reactive but it’s been building over the last few weeks. This guy needs to be moved on or demoted to bench.

We are too close to have it all hanging on a guy that’s in over his head. We have so much talent but this guy can’t get us up for a game against the Lakers?

No plan outside of the three ball, no defensive identity. Horrible use of timeouts, although he’s been better. Same old horrific end of quarter and ATO plays. We’re squeaking by and are on the path to be humiliated in the playoffs.

Probably the worst third quarter performing team I’ve ever seen. What does he say to them at halftime? It’s like they tune him out and are ready to go when there is another half to play.
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,320

Post#1458 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:42 am

They don’t have an offense except for chucking threes and hunting miss matches. The clippers exposed Joes offense and the rest of the league is catching on.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,342

Post#1459 » by TheMartian » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:05 am

Fierce1 wrote:I think what's important is the Jays buys in.

If the coach forces his will on the players, it will be like what happened to Adrian Griffin.

What some of the Celtic fans need to realize is if the coach doesn't have the support of the star players, the coach will be gone.

Last season I wasn't convinced the Celtic defense was as good as when Ime was coach.

Can't give full credit to Joe if defense was the reason they brought Sam Cassell in.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,538

Post#1460 » by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:07 am

TheMartian wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:I think what's important is the Jays buys in.

Can't give full credit to Joe if defense was the reason they brought Sam Cassell in.

Fair.

But Joe has to listen to Sam for it to work.

Return to Boston Celtics