ImageImageImage

Joe Mazzulla Thread, Head Coach – (COTM, Dec 2023 & March 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,468

Re: Joe Mazzulla Thread – Celtics Interim Head Coach (2022-23) 

Post#61 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:55 pm

The defensive system will remain in place i’d assume, considering Mazzulla designed it. The offense is more of a wildcard, though.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#62 » by ballup » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:00 pm

dans1230 wrote:
ballup wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Yeah, well luckily.....

Smart's 9th year in green
Jaylen's 7th year in green
Tatum's 6th year in green
rob's 5th year in green
Al's 5th year in green
Grant's 4th year in green
Pritchard's 3rd year in green
Mazzula's 5th year as a Celtics coach (6th if you count the year as HC of Maine Celtics)

You were saying about continuity?

It's not continuity, but scheme. Unless someone has been closely watching how Mazzula teams play, we can't assume the offensive/defensive philosophies are going to be the same as Udoka or Stevens. Some of our guys have seen it all, but it took half a season to adjust to a new system last season.

That 'new system" was very effective and Joe played a large role in implementing the system so we have no reason to believe he will make any attempt to change the teams scheme from last year.

Maybe, but most of us don't know how he thinks. From an interview I'm listening to, he sounds more of adaptive in terms of his coaching style.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#63 » by Hal14 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:07 pm

ballup wrote:
dans1230 wrote:
ballup wrote:It's not continuity, but scheme. Unless someone has been closely watching how Mazzula teams play, we can't assume the offensive/defensive philosophies are going to be the same as Udoka or Stevens. Some of our guys have seen it all, but it took half a season to adjust to a new system last season.

That 'new system" was very effective and Joe played a large role in implementing the system so we have no reason to believe he will make any attempt to change the teams scheme from last year.

Maybe, but most of us don't know how he thinks. From an interview I'm listening to, he sounds more of adaptive in terms of his coaching style.

When he coached our summer league squad in 2021, it was a fun brand of basketball. Pushing the pace, spacing the floor, good ball movement - ball was zipping around. Dudes playing tough, hard nosed defense.

We'll see what happens but I'm optimistic.

I trust Brad - he has a good eye for this type of stuff. He has a good feel for roster moves, but also coaching hires - especially since he was a coach himself for so long.

I'm more worried about our injuries..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
ballup
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by ballup » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:07 pm

Hal14 wrote:
ballup wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Yeah, well luckily.....

Smart's 9th year in green
Jaylen's 7th year in green
Tatum's 6th year in green
rob's 5th year in green
Al's 5th year in green
Grant's 4th year in green
Pritchard's 3rd year in green
Mazzula's 5th year as a Celtics coach (6th if you count the year as HC of Maine Celtics)

You were saying about continuity?

It's not continuity, but scheme. Unless someone has been closely watching how Mazzula teams play, we can't assume the offensive/defensive philosophies are going to be the same as Udoka or Stevens. Some of our guys have seen it all, but it took half a season to adjust to a new system last season.

Mazzulla was an assistant coach for us last season. He knows the system/schemes that were run as well as anybody. What makes you think he would change anything?

Not every assistant has the same philosophies as the head coach. Some assistant coaches are solely responsible for offensive schemes, some are geared towards development, and some are all around. Hell, Brad switched defensive philosophies over his coaching career here.

https://www.basketballimmersion.com/the-basketball-podcast-ep183-with-joe-mazzula/
Here's a podcast that interviewed Joe last year. The one thing I took from this is he may emphasize pace as he stressed how important getting into a set 5 seconds into the possession was important.

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#65 » by Hal14 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:08 pm

ballup wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
ballup wrote:It's not continuity, but scheme. Unless someone has been closely watching how Mazzula teams play, we can't assume the offensive/defensive philosophies are going to be the same as Udoka or Stevens. Some of our guys have seen it all, but it took half a season to adjust to a new system last season.

Mazzulla was an assistant coach for us last season. He knows the system/schemes that were run as well as anybody. What makes you think he would change anything?

Not every assistant has the same philosophies as the head coach. Some assistant coaches are solely responsible for offensive schemes, some are geared towards development, and some are all around. Hell, Brad switched defensive philosophies over his coaching career here.

https://www.basketballimmersion.com/the-basketball-podcast-ep183-with-joe-mazzula/
Here's a podcast that interviewed Joe last year. The one thing I took from this is he may emphasize pace as he stressed how important getting into a set 5 seconds into the possession was important.

Love this
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
ballup
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by ballup » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:20 pm

The first time most members of Celtics media got a chance to watch Romeo Langford practice in person in 2019, they were taken aback to see him launching shot after shot with a ping-pong paddle taped to his left hand.

The strategy was implemented by Celtics coach Joe Mazzulla, who wanted to make sure Langford kept his left thumb off the ball when he shot — a bad habit Langford struggled to correct after he joined the league.

He's creative at least

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#67 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:32 pm

Speaking of Cs assistant coaches that became head coaches, Jaylen was hanging out with former Cs assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry at Penn State. Dunno why.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,169

Post#68 » by chakdaddy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:17 pm

John Carroll
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,510

Post#69 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,380

Post#70 » by chrisab123 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:20 pm

ballup wrote:
The first time most members of Celtics media got a chance to watch Romeo Langford practice in person in 2019, they were taken aback to see him launching shot after shot with a ping-pong paddle taped to his left hand.

The strategy was implemented by Celtics coach Joe Mazzulla, who wanted to make sure Langford kept his left thumb off the ball when he shot — a bad habit Langford struggled to correct after he joined the league.

He's creative at least

Working to fix Romeos shot isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Whatever helps to maybe keep Tatum
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,883

Post#71 » by Green89 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:12 pm

Just my speculation, but I think what may happen is as soon as the Cs legal team advises the best course of action for the organization to take, they will fire Ime and replace Mazzulla with a permanent coach.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,570

Post#72 » by JimmyPlopper » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:54 pm

Green89 wrote:Just my speculation, but I think what may happen is as soon as the Cs legal team advises the best course of action for the organization to take, they will fire Ime and replace Mazzulla with a permanent coach.

I think you're probably right - unless Mazzulla has the team running on all cylinders from the get-go. Then he may be given a chance to continue.
all i see is blinking lights
will
RealGM
And1: 49,894
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#73 » by will » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:23 pm

So long as Joe got his man management game proper (pause), he'll be aight. The squad knows what to do.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#74 » by GreenBloodedC » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:12 am

Other than Xs and Os, what's more important for a coach in a contending team is that he gets his player's respect.

Ime got the team's respect, and they're buying everything he says including our defensive strategy for Curry in the finals. It may be difficult for someone as young as Joe, but only time will tell. A positive is Tatum likes him, and it's a step at the right direction.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#75 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:30 am

I wonder about the timeframe and the legality of it all. Could they have suspended Udoka earlier and retained Hardy? When did ownership know about whatever it is that Udoka did? If they could have done this all and retained Hardy somehow then they really **** up hard.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#76 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:55 am

Bleeding Green wrote:I wonder about the timeframe and the legality of it all. Could they have suspended Udoka earlier and retained Hardy? When did ownership know about whatever it is that Udoka did? If they could have done this all and retained Hardy somehow then they really **** up hard.

From Shams reporting, some in Cs organization knew about the Udoka (insert whatever happened here) since July. Hardy was hired by the Jazz end of June. Danny is famous for the pre-cogs he has stored in flotation tanks back in Utah so he knew exactly what he was doing.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,939

Post#77 » by playa-hater » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:22 pm

In 2005 my eldest son was being recruited by Coach John Beilein. my son was " a 6'3 Combo guard" while Beilein was still at West Virginia. Beilein was a ball movement shooting enthusiast. My son decided to go elsewhere, for few reasons. One was that Joe Mazzulla was already there one year ahead. we felt he already had his man at the same position my kid played.

Why do I bring this up? well part of Beilein's recruiting pitch was my kid could play with J Mazz, who coach Beilein called " the smartest recruit he's ever had". and like a "coach on the floor"

A year later Beilein left for Michigan and J Mazz ended up with Bobby Huggins, who in comparison was much more of a defensive oriented coach than offense.

My conclusions are J Mazz was primed at a very young age behind 2 different but successful coaches early on and he had the "it" factor with understanding the game from day one.

Now none of this guarantees anything but it at least gives my the idea that if any "34 year old" has the type of background and mindset to lead this team, it can be J Mazz.

Still think it is of major importance to get one veteran coach on board however. balance things out etc..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,468

Post#78 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:32 pm

Like the post above says, we definitely need an experienced lead assistant, but Mazzulla was almost certainly going to get a head coaching job after this coming season. He’s legit, but obviously a bit of a wildcard, as he will be learning on the spot.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Post#79 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:42 pm

I know people keep pointing to his age as a detriment, but anyone who grew up playing ball and been coached by several different coaches - I guarantee that it was easier and funner to play for guys closer to your age than it was someone older. They talked like you, they were into the same things as you, and the younger guys were usually more easy-going, but when they dug into you, it felt like your older sibling trying to motivate you instead of a parent giving you ****. I trust Brad’s ability to pick good coaches, and if he felt Mazzulla was a better choice than Stoudamire, then so be it. Brad is a forward thinker, so he’s definitely not going to let a bureaucratic trait like age or experience sway him.

Placing a few bucks on Mazzulla to win coach of the year. He’s got a talented roster, his defense was already in place last year, and the voters love a good narrative, and there is no better story to be told than Joe’s.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#80 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:37 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
ballup wrote:

He's creative at least

Working to fix Romeos shot isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Whatever helps to maybe keep Tatum

Why ? Visually you could see Langford release get better during his time in Boston and the percentages back that up. He went from 19% from three to 28% to 35% during his three partial seasons in Boston. The problems were that he started so far back from NBA level shooting that even after his improvements defenses were still very happy to let him fire away and also that he was constantly hurt so he couldn't get as many reps in as he should have. Neither of those are on Mazzulla.

Return to Boston Celtics