ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Blake Griffin – (Retires April 16, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Re: Welcome to Boston Blake Griffin! 

Post#241 » by big-shot-ROB » Tue Dec 6, 2022 10:32 pm

Clearly shows you how much of a mess the Nets were or how irrelevant the Pistons were that make me think Blake was kinda of an ass. Granted, winning makes all things better but he looks like an extremely likable guy. Maybe all of his journey has made him aware of how lucky guys are to be in a top and professional organization like the Cs?
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#242 » by cl2117 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 11:47 pm

I said Blake was cooked, but I have to admit I'm wrong and he's still got a little something left in the tank. Realistically he's still not going to be a guy you would want to play minutes in important games, but he's far suprassed what I thought he'd be when he got his run.

Love how Mazzulla has used him thus far. Allowing the rest of the team to stay in their roles for continuity while letting Blake get spot starts for Al to rest is a great strategic move. Guys don't have to adjust yo-yoing in and out of their role when Al sits and instead can stay consistent. And Blake has been surprising effectively despite the long breaks in between his spot starts. I think this pays dividends when we get later into the season.

And again you really can't say enough about how much this team clearly loves the guy. He's been able to be a positive influence/presence despite not playing much and seems to genuinely be having a good time. Love to see it.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,950

Post#243 » by BK_2020 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 11:51 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:Clearly shows you how much of a mess the Nets were or how irrelevant the Pistons were that make me think Blake was kinda of an ass. Granted, winning makes all things better but he looks like an extremely likable guy. Maybe all of his journey has made him aware of how lucky guys are to be in a top and professional organization like the Cs?

He gave up $13 mil. to get bought out by the Pistons. Usually players only "give up" what they'll make with their next team. Not Griffin. He really hated it there.
JaMarco
Rookie
And1: 659

Post#244 » by JaMarco » Wed Dec 7, 2022 10:33 am

cl2117 wrote:I said Blake was cooked, but I have to admit I'm wrong and he's still got a little something left in the tank. Realistically he's still not going to be a guy you would want to play minutes in important games, but he's far suprassed what I thought he'd be when he got his run.

Why cant he play minutes in important games?
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,679

Post#245 » by steefP2 » Wed Dec 7, 2022 11:05 am

JaMarco wrote:
cl2117 wrote:I said Blake was cooked, but I have to admit I'm wrong and he's still got a little something left in the tank. Realistically he's still not going to be a guy you would want to play minutes in important games, but he's far suprassed what I thought he'd be when he got his run.

I mean he can maybe for 10 min if really needed but for important games we have better players; in the playoffs it’s just gonna be grant/rob/Horford.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#246 » by BK_2020 » Wed Dec 7, 2022 12:03 pm

steefP2 wrote:
JaMarco wrote:

I mean he can maybe for 10 min if really needed but for important games we have better players; in the playoffs it’s just gonna be grant/rob/Horford.

I don't think there's a meaningful difference between Blake Griffin and Grant Williams except in fitness. If anything it's Blake who has more burst and lift.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#247 » by sam_I_am » Wed Dec 7, 2022 12:54 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
steefP2 wrote:
JaMarco wrote:Why cant he play minutes in important games?

I don't think there's a meaningful difference between Blake Griffin and Grant Williams except in fitness. If anything it's Blake who has more burst and lift.

Grant is a much better 3 pt shooter (from many more spots) and much more versatile defender (due to youth) but Blake is an excellent rebounder. I think Blake has turned out to be the best big pick up Brad made this summer. His ability to take charges and veteran leadership has made an undeniable impact on team chemistry.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#248 » by BK_2020 » Wed Dec 7, 2022 1:10 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
steefP2 wrote:

Grant is a much better 3 pt shooter (from many more spots) and much more versatile defender (due to youth) but Blake is an excellent rebounder. I think Blake has turned out to be the best big pick up Brad made this summer. His ability to take charges and veteran leadership has made an undeniable impact on team chemistry.

Yeah I think their strengths and weaknesses kinda cancel each other out. Blake is a much better finisher at the rim vs. Grant, and in any case neither guy is forcing their man to stay with them instead of helping.
If Blake could play 30 mpg night in and night out, he could be a rotation guy but he can't.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,089

Post#249 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Dec 7, 2022 1:10 pm

I wanted Favors or LMA for this spot. Two guys no team has signed yet. Glad it's Brad making the decisions.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#250 » by 165bows » Wed Dec 7, 2022 1:45 pm

playa-hater wrote:Blake is the perfect "break glass in case of emergency" Big .. has enough Savy to fill in for sure.

For sure. He essentially averages fouling out over a full game, he's not a full time regular at this point.
cl2117
General Manager

Post#251 » by cl2117 » Wed Dec 7, 2022 1:50 pm

JaMarco wrote:

It's not so much that he can't but more that you wouldn't want him to.

I think he can eat minutes in the regular season, but his athleticism just isn't anywhere near where it would need to be for his type of game to be a plus on the court in the playoffs. Defensively he'd be targeted pretty hard and offensively he doesn't add a ton either since he's not a floor stretcher and can't attack the way he used to. You could get away with playing him for stretches depending on the match-ups and not have him hurt you, but you'd obviously much rather be rolling with Timelord/Horford/Grant or even Kornet.

If push came to shove I think he's proven that he's not going to be total garbage in that scenario, but I wouldn't be excited about rolling him out for any significant minutes.

BK_2020 wrote:I don't think there's a meaningful difference between Blake Griffin and Grant Williams except in fitness. If anything it's Blake who has more burst and lift.

This is blasphemous. Grant is a vastly superior defender, much better shooter and realistically they're roughly the same in terms of burts/athleticism/rebounding etc. at this stage. There is a massive gap between those two guys at this stage of their careers.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#252 » by BK_2020 » Wed Dec 7, 2022 1:59 pm

I don't see Grant as a superior defender. He somehow has gained a reputation as a good defender but what he is, is a versatile defender who is equally bad against many types of players rather than being extremely bad against a specific type. In a switch heavy scheme there's probably some good value in that.
Blake in this inflated era and team environment is shooting 36% from the three himself. On low volume but it's not like Grant is taking 10 threes a game either. The difference in shooting between the two reduces to the small difference in points scored on the threes since neither player stretches the floor. This difference is made up in the delta of points scored at the rim on same attempts.
Grant Williams is averaging 5.7 rebounds per 36. He's not far from prime Kemba in that regard.
cl2117
General Manager

Post#253 » by cl2117 » Wed Dec 7, 2022 3:21 pm

BK_2020 wrote:I don't see Grant as a superior defender. He somehow has gained a reputation as a good defender but what he is, is a versatile defender who is equally bad against many types of players rather than being extremely bad against a specific type. In a switch heavy scheme there's probably some good value in that.
Blake in this inflated era and team environment is shooting 36% from the three himself. On low volume but it's not like Grant is taking 10 threes a game either. The difference in shooting between the two reduces to the small difference in points scored on the threes since neither player stretches the floor. This difference is made up in the delta of points scored at the rim on same attempts.
Grant Williams is averaging 5.7 rebounds per 36. He's not far from prime Kemba in that regard.

Grant's taking 4 threes a game and making 45% (90 total shots). Blake has taken 11 total and is at 36%. They're not remotely comparable. And Blake has never been a great shooter so it's not like volume is the issue.

And I have no idea how you can say neither stretches the floor when Grant is shooting 45% on solid volume? That's just flat our wrong.

Grant got his reputation as a good defender from last year's playoffs for the most part. He's always been relatively versatile, but he showed out last year particularly in the Milwaukee series. I've seen you try to say before that he didn't, but you're just wrong. He was a stud that series defensively. His biggest issue early on in his career was the boneheaded fouls but he's reduced those dramatically and because of his versatility and stoutness he's been a plus defender ever since.

He's not Timelord or Smart or anything like that but he's certainly a plus defender whereas Blake is on the opposite end of the spectrum at this stage. His quickness has dropped off so now he's just a relatively big body who doles out too many fouls.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#254 » by BK_2020 » Wed Dec 7, 2022 3:47 pm

cl2117 wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:I don't see Grant as a superior defender. He somehow has gained a reputation as a good defender but what he is, is a versatile defender who is equally bad against many types of players rather than being extremely bad against a specific type. In a switch heavy scheme there's probably some good value in that.

Grant's taking 4 threes a game and making 45% (90 total shots). Blake has taken 11 total and is at 36%. They're not remotely comparable. And Blake has never been a great shooter so it's not like volume is the issue.

And I have no idea how you can say neither stretches the floor when Grant is shooting 45% on solid volume? That's just flat our wrong.

Grant got his reputation as a good defender from last year's playoffs for the most part. He's always been relatively versatile, but he showed out last year particularly in the Milwaukee series. I've seen you try to say before that he didn't, but you're just wrong. He was a stud that series defensively. His biggest issue early on in his career was the boneheaded fouls but he's reduced those dramatically and because of his versatility and stoutness he's been a plus defender ever since.

He's not Timelord or Smart or anything like that but he's certainly a plus defender whereas Blake is on the opposite end of the spectrum at this stage. His quickness has dropped off so now he's just a relatively big body who doles out too many fouls.

I disagree that Grant stretches the floor. Stretching the floor does not result from how well the player shoots from the three. It results from how the defense treats the player. Defenses don't guard Grant Williams at the three to an extent where you see Grant stretching and contorting defensive schemes to prevent him from shooting. In fact the very reason he's shooting well is because he's left open, aka because he doesn't stretch the floor in any meaningful sense.

As to defense, that's again something we'll have to go to the eye test. His stoutness doesn't really do anything for him. Bigger guys routinely score on him, as well as do smaller guys. As I mentioned above, he is not a grave liability against a specific type and maybe that brings good value.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,402

Post#255 » by Homerclease » Wed Dec 7, 2022 4:32 pm

I think another major difference here we aren’t discussing is that Blake simply can’t do it on a nightly basis like a much younger man like Grant. Blake IMO, is best used as is. Once every two weeks where he can go balls to the wall and give you 20 serviceable minutes. If he were asked to do that night in and night out is where you’d be asking for trouble. Less is more with Blake
ThePigeon
Starter
And1: 1,277

Post#256 » by ThePigeon » Thu Dec 8, 2022 7:40 am

His play in the last 2 games on the road made me not miss Al (and that is huge compliment to Blake)
Blake plays hard, a good rebounder, good at drawing charges, found his stroke from 3 and wasn't abused on defense so far
I know he can't do it on a nightly basis, but Brad made the right choice and Joe plays him the right way
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#257 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Dec 8, 2022 12:30 pm

Our take that he was only good for one decent game every two weeks has just been debunked. The following game against the best team in the West.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,976

Post#258 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Dec 8, 2022 2:29 pm

Blake Griffin is a perfect example of a player excelling in their role in my opinion. Griffin has been a huge positive all year. I fully admit I was wrong about his acquisition.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#259 » by Hal14 » Thu Dec 8, 2022 2:55 pm

JaMarco wrote:

Last night was an important game. On the road, going against the top team in the west and going against one of the top big men in the league. Griffin did great!

I don't really see how he can play in last night's game but can't play in important games. He also did very well vs Toronto - that was an important game too, IMO. Suns and Raptors are both playoff teams.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#260 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Dec 8, 2022 2:57 pm

+61 in 111 minutes as a starter. 12/15 from 2. 6/12 from 3. About 9 rebounds per 36. 5-0 W-L.

Couldn’t have found a better Horford preserver for the regular season. Possibly top 3 locker room guy in that locker room.

Return to Boston Celtics