ImageImageImage

Luke "Green Kornet" Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,169

Re: Luke "Green Kornet" Thread 

Post#161 » by chakdaddy » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:11 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:There's always room for "I wish we had player X instead of player Y." There's no perfect roster. You don't even know if the player you have in mind has issues outside of the court or won't work out on the court. But the Nuggets just won the title with their non-Jokic bigs playing 14 total minutes in the playoffs (about 800 minutes in the regular season). The other finalist had Bam, unplayable Zeller, and the corpse of Love. Celtics have two starter-calibre bigs that can cover the minutes Jokic did barring major injury to either/both and a cadre of bigs (Queta, Gabriel, Kornet) as innings eaters.

Part of me wishes Stevens upgrades that 3rd big spot though so we don't have another scapegoat if we don't win the Finals instead of looking at the main reason why we haven't won yet.

Anyone but Shelden Williams
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,539

Post#162 » by Fierce1 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:27 am

There are teams where Kornet can be useful.

But with teams that have strong bigs, Kornet will be ineffective because he easily gets pushed around due to the lack of bulk and strength.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,658

Post#163 » by Triple7 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:48 am

Kornet is the softest 7footer in the nba. We need to get a decent back up to Al and KP. Kornet is a garbage time big, or a 4th string at best on a championship contender.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#164 » by 165bows » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:10 pm

Yeah it’s weird he’s only averaging ~5 assists per 36 minutes through the preseason prob getting time to think about putting him out to pasture.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Post#165 » by sam_I_am » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:10 pm

Kornet is on a non guaranteed minimum. He has decent size, decent finishing at the rim and alters a few shots. He has plenty of holes in his game. However, he does know where he is supposed to be on both ends of the court so even while his individual game is lacking, he doesn’t mess up the flow for everybody else and that his why he ends up a net positive a lot of the time.

If one of main bigs goes down, Kornet can fill in an emergency but I wouldn’t trust him to take over a starting role like Theis did 2 years ago. I think I’d rather take a flyer on Qeetas or trade for a proven veteran. That said, he gets too much criticism for a guy that is expected to be 10th or 11th guy on roster and is paid like it.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,787

Post#166 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:07 pm

FWIW, Brad could still make a move and add a 3rd big that could supplant Luke to make most of the fanbase happy.
Read on Twitter

Feels like Gabriel is a bundle of energy that's just too raw for the job. If I had to pick between him and Stevens to get waived before opening night, it would be Wenyen. I have more hope for Queta but they probably slotted him as a two-way for a good reason. Just bring back Blake and we good.

I highly doubt Kornet is getting waived even though he's on a NG deal. Team seems really high on him as a contributor/rotation player.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#167 » by Hal14 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:53 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Feels like Gabriel is a bundle of energy that's just too raw for the job. If I had to pick between him and Stevens to get waived before opening night, it would be Wenyen. I have more hope for Queta but they probably slotted him as a two-way for a good reason. Just bring back Blake and we good.

I highly doubt Kornet is getting waived even though he's on a NG deal. Team seems really high on him as a contributor/rotation player.

Let's give Gabriel more a chance to show what he can do. He arrived in Boston after training camp had already started, so missed the first day, missed all of the pre-training camp workouts that had been going on for like 4 weeks. He's adjusting to a new team. And he hasn't even played that much so far in preseason. In the limited action he has seen so far in preseason, he's done some good things.

Blake showed signs of being washed last season (often times we'd have to give him like 3 or 4 games off to rest after playing in a game. Often times he'd look winded after only being in the game for a few mins. His body only allowed him to play in like 40 games) And now he's a year older so likely to show even more of those signs this season, if he plays.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#168 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:07 pm

Hal14 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Feels like Gabriel is a bundle of energy that's just too raw for the job. If I had to pick between him and Stevens to get waived before opening night, it would be Wenyen. I have more hope for Queta but they probably slotted him as a two-way for a good reason. Just bring back Blake and we good.

Let's give Gabriel more a chance to show what he can do. He arrived in Boston after training camp had already started, so missed the first day, missed all of the pre-training camp workouts that had been going on for like 4 weeks. He's adjusting to a new team. And he hasn't even played that much so far in preseason.

Blake showed signs of being washed last season. And now he's a year older so likely to show even more of those signs this season, if he plays.

They have a week or so more to evaluate him (and the rest of non-Gs) before they make a decision. But if they're opening up a roster spot for a more veteran big or for some other reason, I think he's the odd man out as of today. And sometimes, teams cut these invitees earlier than usual in case they want to explore other opportunities on another team.

Blake gave more than expected last season, on and off the court.
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,706

Post#169 » by steefP2 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:31 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Let's give Gabriel more a chance to show what he can do. He arrived in Boston after training camp had already started, so missed the first day, missed all of the pre-training camp workouts that had been going on for like 4 weeks. He's adjusting to a new team. And he hasn't even played that much so far in preseason.

Blake showed signs of being washed last season. And now he's a year older so likely to show even more of those signs this season, if he plays.

They have a week or so more to evaluate him (and the rest of non-Gs) before they make a decision. But if they're opening up a roster spot for a more veteran big or for some other reason, I think he's the odd man out as of today. And sometimes, teams cut these invitees earlier than usual in case they want to explore other opportunities on another team.

Leave Wenyen alone you bully !
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#170 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:39 pm

steefP2 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Let's give Gabriel more a chance to show what he can do. He arrived in Boston after training camp had already started, so missed the first day, missed all of the pre-training camp workouts that had been going on for like 4 weeks. He's adjusting to a new team. And he hasn't even played that much so far in preseason.

Gave up on one of my binkies way too early.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,123

Post#171 » by RickyDizzle » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:16 am

Fierce1 wrote:There are teams where Kornet can be useful.

But with teams that have strong bigs, Kornet will be ineffective because he easily gets pushed around due to the lack of bulk and strength.

Are the Celtics one? ... not so sure.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#172 » by GoGreen » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:18 am

I saw enough from Luke last year. He's... okay. I don't think we're doing much better than him until trading opens up and we can use the tpe.

Surprised no one has signed Biyombo. Phoenix fans seemed to have liked him enough last year, and he's got plenty of experience in the regular season and playoffs.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,658

Post#173 » by Triple7 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:30 am

GoGreen wrote:I saw enough from Luke last year. He's... okay. I don't think we're doing much better than him until trading opens up and we can use the tpe.

Surprised no one has signed Biyombo. Phoenix fans seemed to have liked him enough last year, and he's got plenty of experience in the regular season and playoffs.

I’d take biyombo over kornet anyday. He’s had games with better than 4 blocks and double digit rebounds in limited mins last year, especially when Ayton was out. At least he plays physical, and won’t get bullied down low. Kornet is as soft as you can get. I don’t care if he’s a good locker room guy. We need that extra big, especially when facing the likes of giannis, embiid and Bam. If Rob was still here, kornet would have been a fine 4th string, but now we need someone better.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#174 » by captain green » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:27 pm

I'd literally take anyone 6'10 in both this league or nbdl league over kornet. Dude couldn't guard a Roomba and it's absolute waste of a 7 foot human to not be able to block one shot per game.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#175 » by 165bows » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:16 am

captain green wrote:I'd literally take anyone 6'10 in both this league or nbdl league over kornet. Dude couldn't guard a Roomba and it's absolute waste of a 7 foot human to not be able to block one shot per game.

Kornet had the same block rate as RobWill last year.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,672

Post#176 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:17 pm

Kornet has had a pretty poor preseason, no doubt about it
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#177 » by captain green » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:12 pm

165bows wrote:
captain green wrote:I'd literally take anyone 6'10 in both this league or nbdl league over kornet. Dude couldn't guard a Roomba and it's absolute waste of a 7 foot human to not be able to block one shot per game.

Well according to stats last year he finished with 0.7and timelord finished with 1.4 bpg so I'll base it off those stats not whatever you found ?
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#178 » by Hal14 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:48 pm

captain green wrote:
165bows wrote:

Well according to stats last year he finished with 0.7and timelord finished with 1.4 bpg so I'll base it off those stats not whatever you found ?

Why would you base it off of that when they didn't play the same amount of minutes so it's comparing apples to oranges?

He probably is referring to this:

Blocks %
Kornet 4.9 (can be rounded up to 5.0)
Time Lord 5.0

The 4.9 number for Kornet would rank tied for 11th in the NBA.

Other Kornet stats from last season:
-Celtics record when Kornet played 12+ mins: 22-7 (.758 winning percentage). Celtics record in other games: 35-18 (.660 winning percentage)
-BPM of 1.0 (8th on the team, ahead of Marcus Smart, Grant Williams and Payton Pritchard)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,295

Post#179 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:00 pm

captain green wrote:
165bows wrote:

0.7 blocks in 11.7 minutes per game (Kormet)
1.4 blocks in 23.5 minutes per game (R. Williams)

If you can't figure out how similar those numbers are, I'm sorry the educational system from your country failed you so bad.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,932

Post#180 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:11 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
steefP2 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:They have a week or so more to evaluate him (and the rest of non-Gs) before they make a decision. But if they're opening up a roster spot for a more veteran big or for some other reason, I think he's the odd man out as of today. And sometimes, teams cut these invitees earlier than usual in case they want to explore other opportunities on another team.

Gave up on one of my binkies way too early.

Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics