ImageImageImage

Luke "Green Kornet" Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Re: Luke "Green Kornet" Thread 

Post#181 » by captain green » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:40 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
captain green wrote:
165bows wrote:Kornet had the same block rate as RobWill last year.

Well according to stats last year he finished with 0.7and timelord finished with 1.4 bpg so I'll base it off those stats not whatever you found ?

0.7 blocks in 11.7 minutes per game (Kormet)
1.4 blocks in 23.5 minutes per game (R. Williams)

If you can't figure out how similar those numbers are, I'm sorry the educational system from your country failed you so bad.

You can get snarky all you want. If your a 7foot player in the NBA and you can't average 1 block per game and can't get 5 rebounds a game. Go to a circus and be a tall man because those stats suck. Hey you can like him all you want apparently he is your binky but get snarky some place else troll
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,446

Post#182 » by BK_2020 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:44 pm

A non-exhaustive list of centers who did not average 1 block per game in 2022-23 season:
Bam
Deandre Ayton
Jalen Duren
Jalen Smith
Hartenstein
Naz Reid
Jokic
Bball Paul
Vucevic
Jonas Val
Looney
Olynyk
Sabonis
Luke Kornet
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,295

Post#183 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:53 pm

captain green wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
captain green wrote:Well according to stats last year he finished with 0.7and timelord finished with 1.4 bpg so I'll base it off those stats not whatever you found ?

0.7 blocks in 11.7 minutes per game (Kormet)

If you can't figure out how similar those numbers are, I'm sorry the educational system from your country failed you so bad.

You can get snarky all you want. If your a 7foot player in the NBA and you can't average 1 block per game and can't get 5 rebounds a game. Go to a circus and be a tall man because those stats suck. Hey you can like him all you want apparently he is your binky but get snarky some place else troll

Kornet isn't my binky. In fact he's probably the current Celtics I enjoy watching the least but that doesn't mean I want to make stuff up to pretend he's a scrub that can't fill his role. He is perfectly fine as a third big.

Kornet was 35th in BLK% and 48th in ORB% last season, he doesn't put up stats because he doesn't play a lot not because he can't make plays. Anybody else that you get to fill his spot will get the same minutes because there isn't a third big on the planet that's taking playing time away from Porzingis and Horford. So anybody you bring in to do that job is going to look like a scrub if you look at per game stats.

All he has to do is set good screens to free up the guys that can actually score, stand in the right spots defensively so the system doesn't collapse and not kill the vibes in the locker room. Kornet can do that as well as the next guy. Better probably.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,362

Post#184 » by patman66 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:27 am

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
captain green wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:0.7 blocks in 11.7 minutes per game (Kormet)

Kornet isn't my binky. In fact he's probably the current Celtics I enjoy watching the least but that doesn't mean I want to make stuff up to pretend he's a scrub that can't fill his role. He is perfectly fine as a third big.

Kornet was 35th in BLK% and 48th in ORB% last season, he doesn't put up stats because he doesn't play a lot not because he can't make plays. Anybody else that you get to fill his spot will get the same minutes because there isn't a third big on the planet that's taking playing time away from Porzingis and Horford. So anybody you bring in to do that job is going to look like a scrub if you look at per game stats.

All he has to do is set good screens to free up the guys that can actually score, stand in the right spots defensively so the system doesn't collapse and not kill the vibes in the locker room. Kornet can do that as well as the next guy. Better probably.

on most teams he would be fine as a 3rd center, but when your #1 center misses 25 games a year and your #2 is 37 and needs to miss at least 20 games to be "fresh" for the playoffs, Kornet is not adequate. That is 1/2 the season when you expect him to be on the court for 20 min, that is far from satisfactory. Is he fine for a team like the knicks with Robinson, Hartenstien and Randal as a small ball 5 yeah. But on the celts no he isn't. I hope than what Queata has shown in the preseason is not a mirage, becasue a serious upgrade is needed.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,545

Post#185 » by shackles10 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:38 am

Some of the Kornet hate (from myself included) comes from this being our biggest position of concern with Al’s age and KP’s history combined with the loss of Rob and not really with how good Kornet is or isn’t in a vacuum. If he were the level he is at pg behind Jrue, White playing minutes there, and PP it would be ok. If he were a wing behind JT, JB, Hauser and the rest of the bench guys (Svi, Brissett, Stevens) expected to play and we had depth elsewhere he’d be ok too. He’s really just sliding into whatever spot is between Justin Jackson whipping boy status and the kind of backup center we’d ideally have in a perfect work. It’s not personal Luke, it’s business.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,446

Post#186 » by BK_2020 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:39 am

patman66 wrote:on most teams he would be fine as a 3rd center, but when your #1 center misses 25 games a year and your #2 is 37 and needs to miss at least 20 games to be "fresh" for the playoffs, Kornet is not adequate. That is 1/2 the season when you expect him to be on the court for 20 min, that is far from satisfactory. Is he fine for a team like the knicks with Robinson, Hartenstien and Randal as a small ball 5 yeah. But on the celts no he isn't. I hope than what Queata has shown in the preseason is not a mirage, becasue a serious upgrade is needed.

Mitchell Robinson played 59 games last season. Randle played small ball 5 only 4% of the time.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,660

Post#187 » by Homerclease » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:45 am

shackles10 wrote:Some of the Kornet hate (from myself included) comes from this being our biggest position of concern with Al’s age and KP’s history combined with the loss of Rob and not really with how good Kornet is or isn’t in a vacuum. If he were the level he is at pg behind Jrue, White playing minutes there, and PP it would be ok. If he were a wing behind JT, JB, Hauser and the rest of the bench guys (Svi, Brissett, Stevens) expected to play and we had depth elsewhere he’d be ok too. He’s really just sliding into whatever spot is between Justin Jackson whipping boy status and the kind of backup center we’d ideally have in a perfect work. It’s not personal Luke, it’s business.

What? He gets hate because he’s not an NBA caliber basketball player. The same way Semi got hate when he was a rotation player and the Celtics got played off the court every time he was in.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,545

Post#188 » by shackles10 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:50 am

Homerclease wrote:
shackles10 wrote:Some of the Kornet hate (from myself included) comes from this being our biggest position of concern with Al’s age and KP’s history combined with the loss of Rob and not really with how good Kornet is or isn’t in a vacuum. If he were the level he is at pg behind Jrue, White playing minutes there, and PP it would be ok. If he were a wing behind JT, JB, Hauser and the rest of the bench guys (Svi, Brissett, Stevens) expected to play and we had depth elsewhere he’d be ok too. He’s really just sliding into whatever spot is between Justin Jackson whipping boy status and the kind of backup center we’d ideally have in a perfect work. It’s not personal Luke, it’s business.

What? He gets hate because he’s not an NBA caliber basketball player. The same way Semi got hate when he was a rotation player and the Celtics got played off the court every time he was in.

He’s getting more hate this year than last for sure. He’s not a worse player than he was last year and if anything he’s now got a season of analytics and game footage to show his value (yes I’m using that term very loosely). The stakes are just higher this year, and backup big is more of a hole than last year too. Look, I have made posts about the discussion might come to where we convert Queta and I said Kornet was the one I’d want gone and keep Wenyen over him. That didn’t happen, and seems less likely now. Basically I’m at peace with it because whether we’re relying on Kornet for big stretches or whoever his mystery replacement would be we’re pretty screwed and neither is saving us.

We’re spending a ton on our top 5 plus Al. Roster construction alone says this spot won’t be filled by a guy all that great.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,461

Post#189 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:19 am

shackles10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

He’s getting more hate this year than last for sure. He’s not a worse player than he was last year and if anything he’s now got a season of analytics and game footage to show his value (yes I’m using that term very loosely). The stakes are just higher this year, and backup big is more of a hole than last year too. Look, I have made posts about the discussion might come to where we convert Queta and I said Kornet was the one I’d want gone and keep Wenyen over him. That didn’t happen, and seems less likely now. Basically I’m at peace with it because whether we’re relying on Kornet for big stretches or whoever his mystery replacement would be we’re pretty screwed and neither is saving us.

We’re spending a ton on our top 5 plus Al. Roster construction alone says this spot won’t be filled by a guy all that great.

Meh, not from me. I wanted him gone last offseason too but like this season I’m not too pressed about it. I’ll support him, he seems like a “funny” guy… okay, a cornball but good for chemistry. :D
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,538

Post#190 » by Fierce1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:22 am

Kornet and Brissett could be used for an upgrade on or before trade deadline.

No need to rush into trying to finish completing the roster now.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#191 » by Homerclease » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:32 am

shackles10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

He got less hate last year because he wasn’t being counted on to be in the rotation. Grant Williams was still here. That’s no longer the case. He gets hate now because he has no business being in a rotation on a championship caliber team.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,362

Post#192 » by patman66 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:23 am

BK_2020 wrote:
patman66 wrote:on most teams he would be fine as a 3rd center, but when your #1 center misses 25 games a year and your #2 is 37 and needs to miss at least 20 games to be "fresh" for the playoffs, Kornet is not adequate. That is 1/2 the season when you expect him to be on the court for 20 min, that is far from satisfactory. Is he fine for a team like the knicks with Robinson, Hartenstien and Randal as a small ball 5 yeah. But on the celts no he isn't. I hope than what Queata has shown in the preseason is not a mirage, becasue a serious upgrade is needed.

Mitchell Robinson played 59 games last season. Randle played small ball 5 only 4% of the time.

so he would be no good on NY either.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#193 » by ParticleMan » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:10 am

Queta is better than Kornet, he just doesn't know the system like Luke does. Kornet is a heady player who is usually in the right place. But that doesn't matter much if guys can just barrell through you anyways. And if you can't get a rebound to save your life.

I never thought Kornet provided much rim protection. He gets blocks because guys aren't expecting it and he's tall, but it's totally different to Rob where guys were literally afraid to challenge him. If Rob got challenged as much as Kornet does he'd have 5 bpg.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#194 » by 165bows » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:18 pm

Remember when Cabin Jelly was going to start last year?

Often times the team can just be believed about what they say about a player.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,295

Post#195 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:07 pm

Third bigs on the top contenders according to the depth chart on ESPN so I'm not accused of cherry picking guys on other teams to make Kornet look good.
Miami: Orlando Robinson
Milwaukee: Robin Lopez
Lakers: Jaxson Hayes
Suns: Bol Bol
Nuggets: DeAndre Jordan
Celtics: Luke Kornet

Among those, last season, Kornet was 2nd in minutes played, 2nd in BLK% and 2nd in ORB%, had the best AST% and the lowest TOV%. He blows all the other in terms of advanced stats, including being the only one with a positive BPM. If the Celtics need to upgrade his position then so do all the contenders.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#196 » by Homerclease » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:08 pm

165bows wrote:Remember when Cabin Jelly was going to start last year?

This never happened.

Remember when Kabengele got burn with the first stringers and actually looked good when doing so?

That didn’t happen either. Queta earned his spot, and Kornet played himself out of his spot.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,610

Post#197 » by 165bows » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:46 pm

Homerclease wrote:

This never happened.

Remember when Kabengele got burn with the first stringers and actually looked good when doing so?

That didn’t happen either. Queta earned his spot, and Kornet played himself out of his spot.

There were tons of people that posted that bro, expectations were he was going to get a real chance to get burn.

And no fault found he looked great and people were excited about him playing. What I’m saying is that it isn’t that hard to listen to the people that run the team and figure out what is going to happen.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#198 » by Homerclease » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:51 pm

165bows wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

This never happened.

There were tons of people that posted that bro, expectations were he was going to get a real chance to get burn.

And no fault found he looked great and people were excited about him playing. What I’m saying is that it isn’t that hard to listen to the people that run the team and figure out what is going to happen.

Nobody posted that Kabengele was going to start over Horford or Rob last year. That’s just flat out fiction.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Post#199 » by sam_I_am » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:05 pm

Homerclease wrote:

This never happened.

I do remember Noah Vonleh putting up something like 15/14 in last preseason game and getting the 3rd big role opening night. And then he was gone. Queta has looked good against the third string players but I don’t think he has outplayed Kornet in all aspects of the game. I am excited about him developing into a 3rd big who can rebound and has excellent touch and finish at and above the rim. Defensively I haven’t seen him do anything yet and that is a problem for a big. I hope the team uses his 50 games early so we can see what he can do when the games matter and the competition is more realistic.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#200 » by Homerclease » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:34 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

This never happened.

I do remember Noah Vonleh putting up something like 15/14 in last preseason game and getting the 3rd big role opening night. And then he was gone. Queta has looked good against the third string players but I don’t think he has outplayed Kornet in all aspects of the game. I am excited about him developing into a 3rd big who can rebound and has excellent touch and finish at and above the rim. Defensively I haven’t seen him do anything yet and that is a problem for a big. I hope the team uses his 50 games early so we can see what he can do when the games matter and the competition is more realistic.

Vonleh looked great for the first half dozen games even starting opening night iirc. You’re right the shine quickly wore off though. Queta was going against the Hornets starters, albeit it’s the Hornets but he’s done everything that’s been asked for him. Kornet has been a steaming pile every time he’s been out there this preseason. If it wasn’t for familiarity he likely gets waived before Gabriel.

Return to Boston Celtics