ImageImageImage

Luke "Green Kornet" Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Re: Luke "Green Kornet" Thread 

Post#281 » by 165bows » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:37 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Literally stripping that idea from my posts over the last 24 hours lol.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#282 » by shackles10 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:02 pm

165bows wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Literally stripping that idea from my posts over the last 24 hours lol.

Forsberg a lazy plagiarist confirmed
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,998

Post#283 » by Parliament10 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Kornet has been surprisingly good.
And he hasn't even been shooting the 3; which he can shoot.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,661

Post#284 » by bisme37 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:53 pm

Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,718

Post#285 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:27 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#286 » by cl2117 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:51 pm

I would like to formally apologize for what in retrospect was clear and egregious slander of Luke Kornet. He's been so much better than I ever thought he could be.

I thought he was too unathletic, too much a liability on the boards, that his block numbers overstated his defensive impact, that his offensive game was too non-existant. I was wrong on virtually all accounts. His team defense has been great, offensively he's found a way to make an impact setting screens and catching lobs, and above all else he's been consistent.

I did an unnecessary amount of hand wringing about the 3rd center spot on the roster since we made the KP trade, but Luke has really held it down. Obviously don't want to have him need to feature in our playoff rotation, but if that did end up happening I'm 100x more confident in our overall chances than I was before the season started.

Between him and Tillman (and possibly Queta), Brad did as good as I think you could hope for putting together a group to back-up Horford/KP on the cheap. Luke is option 1a, but in match-ups where he's going to be unplayable Tillman is an excellent complement skillset wise to be able to step in.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,661

Post#287 » by bisme37 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:30 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He's getting bad passes!
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#288 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:05 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kornet has been surprisingly good.
And he hasn't even been shooting the 3; which he can shoot.

I haven't read the article yet but my thoughts are he's basically taken on Robert Williams' role - especially on offense.

That means no more shooting 3's and hitting only like 30% of them, maybe 35% if he's lucky..instead being super efficient with his shots. Only taking shots around the basket..mostly dunks..put-backs, tip-ins, lob finishes..if he is near the rim but is closely defended then he kicks it out to the open man. Like, literally only puts up a shot if he's basically wide open, at the rim and it's mostly dunks.

Rob one season had the highest TS% in the league and highest FG% in the league..Kornet is in that ballpark..

Kornet last season had more dunks than Rob. This season the % FGA that were off lobs for Kornet is basically the same as it was for Rob when he was here.

Not only that but the thing with Rob was, he still helped us with spacing. Even if he didn't shoot any 3's, it's not like he was camping out in the paint, clogging up the lane. He would mostly be out on the perimeter..either just standing out there, or running DHO, reversing the ball, passing to cutters, setting high screens, etc. He would stay out on the perimeter and time it so he was only going in towards the basket if it was to catch a lob, go after an offensive rebound or position himself in dunker's spot for a quick layup/dunk.

And when Rob got the ball, he would play 0.5 basketball, being really quick to pass it or run a DHO. Like, I recall seeing some stats that showed average number of dribbles per touch and average time of possession per touch, usage % and stuff like that. And Rob was head and shoulders no. 1 in the league for moving the ball quickly and not holding onto it. He knew his role. He knew we had other guys on the team who could handle the ball, shoot and score..his job was just tip-outs, tip-ins, catch lobs, set screens, dunker's spot finishes. Those are all things that should not require you to hold onto the ball. Those are all very low usage things.

Kornet is doing all that same stuff.

Either Kornet saw what Rob did and is emulating it. Or our coaches are smart, saw how effective Rob was, how our offensive was so good with him on the floor, our team in general was so good with him on the floor, Rob's advanced stats were through the roof, had highest single season offensive rating in NBA history at one point, was top 10 in the league in BPM, no. 1 in league in TS% and FG%, etc. Or perhaps it was a combination of Kornet and the coaches seeing it and changing the way he was used to be like Rob..and to stop shooting 3's.

And defensively, Kornet is kind of like Rob. Smart, active defender. Really locked in and engaged on that side of the ball. Always has head up, seeing the whole floor to see cutters, see actions that are coming before they happen. Play mostly drop coverage in PnR, stay close to the basket to protect the rim, play sound positional defense, be in the right spots at the right time, grab defensive boards, etc. Obviously Kornet doesn't have Rob's athleticism, and isn't as strong as rob either. Doesn't quite have the defensive instincts or lateral mobility. But like Rob, Kornet *does* have a 7'6" wingspan (I just found that out today about Kornet but I'm guessing Brad has known for awhile).
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,718

Post#289 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:37 pm

Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#290 » by playa-hater » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:36 am

Just read a talkin head article that states Boston will lose Kornet to Memphis.. Do you think there's any truth to that.. It would be intriguing since Memphis.Has so many biggs injured all the time..Smart to Kornet !!

Just wondering..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#291 » by brackdan70 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:28 pm

playa-hater wrote:Just read a talkin head article that states Boston will lose Kornet to Memphis.. Do you think there's any truth to that.. It would be intriguing since Memphis.Has so many biggs injured all the time..Smart to Kornet !!

Just wondering..

Interesting. I mean are they going to offer a mid level or a bunch more PT?
He has made himself into a damn effective player. I could see lots of teams being interested.
Cs top 2 bigs also miss time a lot. I think Kornet has fallen behind Tillman in the depth chart and Queta maybe right there as well. Might be the odd man out for the Cs. I really like him and hope we can keep him but he is good enough to be a rotation guy.
Sign here
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#292 » by playa-hater » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:34 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Just read a talkin head article that states Boston will lose Kornet to Memphis.. Do you think there's any truth to that.. It would be intriguing since Memphis.Has so many biggs injured all the time..Smart to Kornet !!

Just wondering..

He has made himself into a damn effective player. I could see lots of teams being interested.
Cs top 2 bigs also miss time a lot. I think Kornet has fallen behind Tillman in the depth chart and Queta maybe right there as well. Might be the odd man out for the Cs. I really like him and hope we can keep him but he is good enough to be a rotation guy.

I have to Give Kornet his props. He really found his niche with his sneaky move without the ball in the lane with his timely cuts. He never demands to have the ball and is always looking for his teammates, although sometimes too much. Kornet also proved centers do not need a jump shot to be effective.

Defensively and rebounding I still think he is not as good as a 7'2 should be.. But if he did excel at that he would be getting starting money somewhere.

He is also as good a locker-room guy as a team could have.

Boston having all of Kornet, Queta, and Tillman as backup options next year is a nice problem to have.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,080

Post#293 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:57 pm

Luke Kornet is the only 50-40-90 player in 2024, minimum 800 minutes played.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#294 » by 31to6 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:20 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Luke Kornet is the only 50-40-90 player in 2024, minimum 800 minutes played.

looks like he's establishing(?) the 70/100/90 club!
(was he 1-1 from 3 on the season?)
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kornelu01.html
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#295 » by sam_I_am » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:27 pm

playa-hater wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Just wondering..

I have to Give Kornet his props. He really found his niche with his sneaky move without the ball in the lane with his timely cuts. He never demands to have the ball and is always looking for his teammates, although sometimes too much. Kornet also proved centers do not need a jump shot to be effective.

Defensively and rebounding I still think he is not as good as a 7'2 should be.. But if he did excel at that he would be getting starting money somewhere.

Boston having all of Kornet, Queta, and Tillman as backup options next year is a nice problem to have.

I think Kornet is going to get paid more than a minimum next year and that might mean he could be gone. I’d love to keep him around but I think he is going to cost more than Brad can pay for a 9th guy on the roster.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#296 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 pm

I like Luke as a player. I didn't used to and only liked him as a humorous towel-waiver off the bench, but he's improved and really played his role well this year. I'd love to keep him, but Queta and Tillman should be good tandem of replacements if Luke is now too expensive. Good for Luke though if he is able to make more money!
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#297 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:26 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Interesting. I mean are they going to offer a mid level or a bunch more PT?

I think Kornet is going to get paid more than a minimum next year and that might mean he could be gone. I’d love to keep him around but I think he is going to cost more than Brad can pay for a 9th guy on the roster.

Maybe. But that seems to imply that there's a team out there that will want him to be a top 8 rotation player for them. I just don't know if I see that happening - a team that looks at this guy and wants to sign him for a bunch of $ to be a top 8 rotation player, when he's never really been that type of player before and is gonna be 29 yrs old this summer.

I guess you never know. For context, this is what some backup bigs got paid in free agency last summer:

Drew Eubanks: 2 years, $5 mil total. 2nd year a player option so only $2.3 mil guaranteed
Jock Landale: 4 yrs, $32 mil total. Final 3 yrs are non-guaranteed so only $8 mil is guaranteed
Javale Mcgee: 1 yr, $3.1 mil

Worth noting that Houston went nuts last summer and overpaid for a bunch of guys (VanVleet, Landale, Jeff Green, Dillon Brooks, etc.) and it's unlikely that a team will do the same thing again this summer.

If you remove Landale, the other 2 guys only got like $2 or $3 mil which Boston should be able to match for Kornet..

But you never know. Teams like Detroit and Washington have lots of cap space..Washington could use another center..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,080

Post#298 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:27 pm

Return to Boston Celtics