ImageImageImage

Luke "Green Kornet" Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,263

Re: Luke "Green Kornet" Thread 

Post#81 » by Hal14 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:31 pm

playa-hater wrote:Just a random thought while waiting for the Big event tonight..but In think People here would appreciate Kornet more if he didn't look like a throw-back from Leave-it-to-Beaver..

And I am being 100% serious with this.

Yeah I think people definitely judge his appearance as well as the goofy way he runs up and down the court. But he's been playing very well so I'm ok with it :)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,462

Post#82 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:45 pm

I judged korny and Sam based on us being desperate and not playing them anyway, last season. I was wrong! I also want to say, Ime was wrong last season and no it wasn't all about getting better in the off season, Sam at least could have provided some of this! IDC! He should have played Sam instead of Nesmith!! Hell, before Romeo certainly! I'm going all in cheering for any Cs but if it aint working, play someone else! Look how quickly Joe moved off Von when he thought it wasn't working optimally!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,469

Post#83 » by threrf23 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:35 pm

eh I still like Nesmith, scrappy role player and a winning player, just not the knockdown shooter they were hoping he would be

I've always kind of like Kornet as a "capable" big who can play some defense without hurting you elsewhere. Relative to our needs, I didn't think he was good enough to justify his relative lack of rebounding. But if he can consistently play like he did the other night, he is a valuable piece.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,263

Post#84 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:15 pm

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,945

Post#85 » by playa-hater » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:32 am

Damn right I am bumping this thread.

Now pay your respects..

Especially for the 1 or 2 posters who said Kornet was the worst player in the NBA :o :crazy: :banghead:

:nod: :nod: :nod:
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#86 » by playa-hater » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:32 am

Meanwhile Kornet making a case for best 3rd string center in the NBA ... Come at me !!!
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#87 » by playa-hater » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:35 am

Dang forgot.. Luke 15 straight without a miss.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,198

Post#88 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:45 am

Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,944

Post#89 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:57 am

Luke increasingly seems to be one of those guys "put into the right position to be successful".
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
50yrceltsfan
Sophomore
And1: 233

Post#90 » by 50yrceltsfan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:50 pm

Luke is a very effective player at both ends and deserves steady minutes. What stands out to me is his quick reaction time to almost everything. He defends like a 7 footer, gets his hands in everything, and has very respectable offensive skills. You look forward to him coming into the game.
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,694

Post#91 » by Fantaxp7 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:53 pm

Luke has become....competent.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,003

Post#92 » by sam_I_am » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:08 pm

Luke is fourth on the team in PER. His per minute production with pts, rebs, blocks, assists is highest amongst bigs on team. Unfortunately his fouls per minute are too high.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#93 » by playa-hater » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:15 pm

Let's not forget his "best in the NBA" with his 3 point defense ... holding shooters to )? % shooting!!
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,137

Post#94 » by Dogen » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:55 pm

playa-hater wrote:Just a random thought while waiting for the Big event tonight..but In think People here would appreciate Kornet more if he didn't look like a throw-back from Leave-it-to-Beaver..

And I am being 100% serious with this.

We see you Eddie Haskell!

Hey you! Can we come together?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,944

Post#95 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:01 am

playa-hater wrote:Let's not forget his "best in the NBA" with his 3 point defense ... holding shooters to )? % shooting!!

Has anybody ever accomplished that before? :D
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#96 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:19 am

Still think he sucks
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#97 » by playa-hater » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:59 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Let's not forget his "best in the NBA" with his 3 point defense ... holding shooters to )? % shooting!!

Has anybody ever accomplished that before? :D

Has anyone even tried?

Luke Kornet is going to change the game .. And it will never be the same again.. :wink:
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 568

Post#98 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:34 am

It's actually Luke's (& Brad's) patented 3-paint defense.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,351

Post#99 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:12 pm

He’s just so damn… competent lol

He draws a lot of criticism because he’s simply the most logical person to be replaced. If you look at a fully healthy roster (excluding Gallo because out for year):

Smart / Brogdon / Pritchard
Brown / White
Tatum / Hauser / Jackson
Horford / GWilliams
R Williams / Kornet / Blake / Vonleh

The depth chart is legitimately fantastic at PG/SG/SF/PF. You can nitpick, but realistically speaking none of us can really propose too much that improves us there. That doesn’t even include Pritchard who is a phenomenal 3rd unit player.

Then you get to center and you have a great player in Rob, but major injury concerns. So the need for a strong backup at that spot is probably the biggest on our team. And then while Kornet is competent, he’s the only guy on our first or second unit who isn’t really great for their role.

So even though he’s competent, just from a purely logical standpoint the only way to improve this team even further without a major shakeup is to target a backup center to take his spot. It’s not even really a criticism of him individually, the rest of the team is just so stacked that it’s hard to really think of practical ways to improve there.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,613

Post#100 » by 165bows » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:26 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:He’s just so damn… competent lol

He draws a lot of criticism because he’s simply the most logical person to be replaced. If you look at a fully healthy roster (excluding Gallo because out for year):

Smart / Brogdon / Pritchard
Brown / White
Tatum / Hauser / Jackson
Horford / GWilliams
R Williams / Kornet / Blake / Vonleh

The depth chart is legitimately fantastic at PG/SG/SF/PF. You can nitpick, but realistically speaking none of us can really propose too much that improves us there. That doesn’t even include Pritchard who is a phenomenal 3rd unit player.

Then you get to center and you have a great player in Rob, but major injury concerns. So the need for a strong backup at that spot is probably the biggest on our team. And then while Kornet is competent, he’s the only guy on our first or second unit who isn’t really great for their role.

So even though he’s competent, just from a purely logical standpoint the only way to improve this team even further without a major shakeup is to target a backup center to take his spot. It’s not even really a criticism of him individually, the rest of the team is just so stacked that it’s hard to really think of practical ways to improve there.

Imagine if this team had had Gallo on it to this point, let alone Rob. Replace a couple hundred minutes of Griffin/Vonleh with Gallo for an already historic offense is pretty wild.

It’s a tough call, at full health (even without Gallo), I think Kornet is totally fine as the third string guy. But like you said the full-health piece is a tough gamble.

Still think Olynyk is the “push all your chips onto the table” move to bring him in as that backup. More realistic though they will get a more true backup guy closer to Kornet level.

Best option there I can see currently is if Saric gets bought out and returns to form. He fits their play style in several ways and is still competitive on the boards which is a tough combo. Plus if it worked he’s young enough where he and Kornet could be a solid third string center combo for a couple of years after this without giving up much in the interim.

Return to Boston Celtics