ImageImageImage

Celtics Asst Coaches, 2023-24

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Celtics Asst Coaches – Sam Cassell & Charles Lee Join Celtics as Assistants 

Post#381 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:08 pm

31to6 wrote:I’m sure this team and staff is dying to listen to a crusty old white dude.

Would love a big man coach and or big man former player though. Hell even a tweezer forward like Sam Mitchell.

The old guy would be for the coach to listen to, not the players.

I'm not sure how much either the coach or players are gonna listen to the 32yo, 5'9", new guy who washed out as a player.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,184

Post#382 » by 31to6 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:48 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
31to6 wrote:I’m sure this team and staff is dying to listen to a crusty old white dude.

Would love a big man coach and or big man former player though. Hell even a tweezer forward like Sam Mitchell.

I'm not sure how much either the coach or players are gonna listen to the 32yo, 5'9", new guy who washed out as a player.

Share your skepticism about Pressey.

Let’s generate names for “old head” position — which I think they think they already filled with Cassell, so it’s perhaps a moot point:

Sam Mitchell
Pringles
Terry Stotts?
Budenholzer?
Atkinson?

I’m not researching the availability of these guys, just guessing at a few.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Bleedsgreen
Pro Prospect
And1: 351

Post#383 » by Bleedsgreen » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:14 am

What Greg Kite, Joe Kline doing now adays? Maybe can entice Kevin away from the play by play table. If their too old and white their is always Mark Blount :noway:
"Kyrie will 100% win this standoff btw." A Comedian
seiffert82
Sophomore
And1: 227

Post#384 » by seiffert82 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:38 am

Cassell is by far our most important signing.

Hopefully we can return to a game plan that focuses on a point guard distributing the ball to players in good position to score easy baskets, rather than trying to have 5 guys on the court vying for their share of the 50 three point shots we try to put up every game.

Hopefully Cassell can stop Mazzulla turning both Smart and Brown into the type of players they most certainly are not.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
NotAKnicksFan
Senior
And1: 544

Post#385 » by NotAKnicksFan » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:13 am

Sign Hubie Brown

Or Larry Brown

To fill the crusty old white coach position
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,456

Post#386 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:47 pm

NotAKnicksFan wrote:Sign Hubie Brown

Or Larry Brown

Let's stay away from the racial jokes.

~ Parl
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#387 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:27 pm

31to6 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Share your skepticism about Pressey.

Let’s generate names for “old head” position — which I think they think they already filled with Cassell, so it’s perhaps a moot point:

Sam Mitchell
Pringles
Terry Stotts?
Budenholzer?
Atkinson?

I’m not researching the availability of these guys, just guessing at a few.

Budenholzer would be great, but I'd imagine he'll just chill until his next HC gig comes along--and that won't be long.
Sam M. has been passed along a bit too quickly of late for me.
Someone in between would be fine. I obviously don't really know the personalities and all.

Oh, and I think Cassell is here as the disciplinarian, Lee as the tactician. The former head coach would be the dad gently pushing Mazzulla along from behind on his training wheel-bedecked coach's bicycle. And, again, I also want a former-player big man on staff coaching up their front court. (Pressey and Cassell obviously are both former port guards.)
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,184

Post#388 » by 31to6 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:29 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
NotAKnicksFan wrote:Sign Hubie Brown

Or Larry Brown

Let's stay away from the racial jokes.

~ Parl

I started it, and not joking about it, but not trying to start a flame war about it, either. But the fact is this generation is not trying to hear the sort of 'old head' those of us who remember the 80s and 90s probably default to thinking about. The name "Sam Cassell" probably doesn't ring any bells as a player for most of them, and he's 53 years old -- 15 years in the league and 15 years coaching -- that's plenty.

Former head coach would be great, but I don't think Brad or Joe are the type to bring someone like that in.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,593

Post#389 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He was signed to an Exhibit 10 deal with the Cs back in December 2020. Tatum and Jefferson are TIGHT.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,716

Post#390 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:35 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He was signed to an Exhibit 10 deal with the Cs back in December 2020. Tatum and Jefferson are TIGHT.

Tatum runs this franchise lol
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,996

Post#391 » by leper-con » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:38 pm

enough with the diaper dandy coaches. If Mazzula is afraid on a strong voice he needs to go.
I want a crusty old style vet coach who has battle scars.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,246

Post#392 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:01 pm

leper-con wrote:enough with the diaper dandy coaches. If Mazzula is afraid on a strong voice he needs to go.
I want a crusty old style vet coach who has battle scars.

lol, relax dude. Cassell is 53. That's pretty old compared to most of the coaches in the league these days.

Players relate and respond better to younger coaches. That's the trend in the league - everyone is hiring young, up and comers with fresh ideas who are more familiar with the way the game is played in 2023, rather than being stuck in their ways - living in the past and holding on to the glory days of the 80's/90s.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#393 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:05 pm

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,601

Post#394 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#395 » by captain green » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:45 pm

Can anyone name one coaching metric that Joe is good at? We're trying to develop a Coach while almost in peak years of the jays! This team can get to ec with any coach imagine if we had a great coach?
Like why is Brad keeping him,tell me what I don't see? Because I don't see it
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#396 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:35 pm

When I suggested a former big-man player as a coach, I didn't have in mind a 30yo Tatum pal who washed out of the league after 142 minutes played and has only coached at the college level.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,969

Post#397 » by Drax » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:52 pm

cloverleaf wrote:When I suggested a former big-man player as a coach, I didn't have in mind a 30yo Tatum pal who washed out of the league after 142 minutes played and has only coached at the college level.

Who actually cares about coach #25 on the staff, lets be real here. This move is simply to make your best player happy and there are worse things in the world than a 2nd row assistant coach.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#398 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:28 pm

So it's Amile Jefferson, Phil Pressey, Charles Lee, Sam Cassell, and Joe? Is that it?
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,442

Post#399 » by Shak_Celts » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:32 pm

i think a big man coach would be really good but then again, i bet people would be asking for al to be on the staff in that position if he was no longer playing. we already have him on the team, we aren't in dire need of a coach.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#400 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:36 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:So it's Amile Jefferson, Phil Pressey, Charles Lee, Sam Cassell, and Joe? Is that it?

Read on Twitter

Plus, last I heard Aaron Miles is 50/50 on whether he will be back. He may join Ime in Houston, or he may take a job with a different team.

But so far, we lost 5 coaches (Udoka, Stoudemire and the 3 who are going to Houston with Udoka) and we've hired 4 guys to replace them. Plus, we may lose Miles too..

Return to Boston Celtics