ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,238

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1041 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:01 pm

snowman wrote:I don't expect Brad to use the #30 pick this season, due to it being a guaranteed contract that can't be used on a 2-way. Instead I expect him to trade it for a couple of 2nd rounders, one this season and one next. Spurs at #35 and #46, or the Trailblazers at #33 and #40 are good trade partners. Trailblazers already have 2 1sts this season, doubt they will want a third, but Spurs only have one. So, i would think our #30 to the Spurs for their #46 and a 2nd rounder next year. (Their #35 would be better but doubt we could get it.)

We could then use #46 and our #54 to restock our 2-way players. (I think JD Davison could be signed to a regular contract this off season because we can't resign him to a 2-way contract after being on one for us for two years already. If I'm not mistaken it's sign him or lose him.) I think it comes down to Svi, Davison or someone else entirely for the 15th spot.

I don't see Begarin or Madar coming over at all with no shot at playing time except in Maine.

Or a draft and stash? I've totally lost sight on whether that is still something we can do at this point.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,381

Post#1042 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 pm

LewisnotMiller wrote:
snowman wrote:I don't expect Brad to use the #30 pick this season, due to it being a guaranteed contract that can't be used on a 2-way. Instead I expect him to trade it for a couple of 2nd rounders, one this season and one next. Spurs at #35 and #46, or the Trailblazers at #33 and #40 are good trade partners. Trailblazers already have 2 1sts this season, doubt they will want a third, but Spurs only have one. So, i would think our #30 to the Spurs for their #46 and a 2nd rounder next year. (Their #35 would be better but doubt we could get it.)

We could then use #46 and our #54 to restock our 2-way players. (I think JD Davison could be signed to a regular contract this off season because we can't resign him to a 2-way contract after being on one for us for two years already. If I'm not mistaken it's sign him or lose him.) I think it comes down to Svi, Davison or someone else entirely for the 15th spot.

I don't see Begarin or Madar coming over at all with no shot at playing time except in Maine.

Or a draft and stash? I've totally lost sight on whether that is still something we can do at this point.

With 2nd rounders, yes. Stash in G league or oversees.

Also With new CBA a player can be on a two way for 3 years. So can do that another year with Davison assuming he agrees.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1043 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:29 pm

cl2117 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:I think we have too many good young players already. Trade 30 and our second for 3 seconds in 2026.

The tricky part is that we're going to need to develop our own in-house talent as a 2nd apron team and 2nd round guys (and late first rounders) are going to need time before they can make an impact. We've gotta start planting seeds now if we want to reap the rewards down the line.

djFan71 wrote:Man, Dallas’ late run screwed our 2nd.
We should trade 30 to POR for 33 and 40. They have so many picks they need to consolidate. We get off the guaranteed 1st round salary and can 2-way whoever we pick.
Trade 40 and 54 for future picks if you can.

100% on board with this approach. If we can grab another interesting prospect in the 30's while adding 1-2 future 2nds for the future, that's as good as you can hope for.

2nd rounders are fast becoming the preferred currency for low-level deals like with Springer/Tillman. Brad would be wise to keep several of those in stock to be able to make moves. At the same time we should be taking some swings of our own in the hopes we get lucky and hit big.

Definitely agree with trading 30 for a couple seconds.

As far as the pipeline with Walsh, Springer and Davison we have 3 perimeter guys under 22 yo. Walsh and Springer are pretty versatile as well Fir Bigs... Queta is 24 and Tillman is 25, assuming we sign him.

I would prefer trading 30 for future seconds rather than this year. I assume we will have Davison on a two way again? and maybe Peterson unless he gets snatched, so may only have one two way slot available.
Our roster will be pretty full with 12 assuming all options are picked up, and hopefully signing Tillman and maybe Kornet. Would make 13 or 14. Not much room to add more youngsters.
Sign here
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,278

Post#1044 » by djFan71 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:I think we have too many good young players already. Trade 30 and our second for 3 seconds in 2026.

The tricky part is that we're going to need to develop our own in-house talent as a 2nd apron team and 2nd round guys (and late first rounders) are going to need time before they can make an impact. We've gotta start planting seeds now if we want to reap the rewards down the line.

We should trade 30 to POR for 33 and 40. They have so many picks they need to consolidate. We get off the guaranteed 1st round salary and can 2-way whoever we pick.

100% on board with this approach. If we can grab another interesting prospect in the 30's while adding 1-2 future 2nds for the future, that's as good as you can hope for.

2nd rounders are fast becoming the preferred currency for low-level deals like with Springer/Tillman. Brad would be wise to keep several of those in stock to be able to make moves. At the same time we should be taking some swings of our own in the hopes we get lucky and hit big.

As far as the pipeline with Walsh, Springer and Davison we have 3 perimeter guys under 22 yo. Walsh and Springer are pretty versatile as well Fir Bigs... Queta is 24 and Tillman is 25, assuming we sign him.

I would prefer trading 30 for future seconds rather than this year. I assume we will have Davison on a two way again? and maybe Peterson unless he gets snatched, so may only have one two way slot available.
Our roster will be pretty full with 12 assuming all options are picked up, and hopefully signing Tillman and maybe Kornet. Would make 13 or 14. Not much room to add more youngsters.

JD can't do a 2-way with us again, I don't think. And Queta isn't one anymore, so at least one 2nd this year to add something beyond UDFA/unsigned G-league guys would be nice. And 54 isn't as exciting for this thread's purposes. :D I always tend to like guys in that 31-37 range, then it really falls off.

That's why I was thinking 30 for a couple of this years, then punt the lesser ones like we did last year. But, realistically, just go for straight future 2nds and draft at 54 is fine by me.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1045 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:41 pm

djFan71 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:The tricky part is that we're going to need to develop our own in-house talent as a 2nd apron team and 2nd round guys (and late first rounders) are going to need time before they can make an impact. We've gotta start planting seeds now if we want to reap the rewards down the line.

JD can't do a 2-way with us again, I don't think. And Queta isn't one anymore, so at least one 2nd this year to add something beyond UDFA/unsigned G-league guys would be nice. And 54 isn't as exciting for this thread's purposes. :D I always tend to like guys in that 31-37 range, then it really falls off.

That's why I was thinking 30 for a couple of this years, then punt the lesser ones like we did last year. But, realistically, just go for straight future 2nds and draft at 54 is fine by me.

I thought the new CBA allows 3 years…maybe I am hallucinating or projection lol.

Edit: Yeah I don’t what I’m talking about. Carry on.
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,183

Post#1046 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:41 am

One of the guys I was high on for us (Johni Broome) announced today that he's returning for 1 more year at Auburn.

So him and Ivisic (2 guys I was high on) are going back to college.

Here's a new guy to put on the radar, though - Andrija Jelavic. Plays for Mega, the team that Jokic played for. Jelavic is about 6'10"/6'11"..can play the 4 or the 5 (plays more at the 4 for Mega but can play the 5 too). Can shoot it pretty well from deep. Shows some passing flashes. He's young, only 20 yrs old. He starts, plays a lot and puts up some pretty good numbers in one of the top pro leagues in the world.

Could possibly stash him..or bring him right over - nice to have that flexibility.

Jelavic has declared for the draft but could withdraw his name prior to the deadline..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,494

Post#1047 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:04 am

Brad can’t keel trading back and not adding any talent through the draft, it will eventually catch up with him. They were very luck health was on their side this year. It’s one the weaker drafts of memory with a good amount of teams that have multiple picks. So the price to trade up should be manageable to grab hopefully a developmental big.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,494

Post#1048 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:30 am

brackdan70 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:

In the past couple decades how many second rounders have made any type of significant impact with this team? Guys like Powe, Davis, Hauser(undrafted) might come along once every seven or eight years, and you can usually tell what makes them standout to the point they can make that impact on the floor early on too. I think they’ll be extremely lucky if Walsh becomes a rotational piece in a couple years, Im not holding my breath though. We have nine guaranteed contracts with only Springer as a team option. That leaves four players who could potentially be out the door and all three two ways. Feels like plenty of room.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1049 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:The tricky part is that we're going to need to develop our own in-house talent as a 2nd apron team and 2nd round guys (and late first rounders) are going to need time before they can make an impact. We've gotta start planting seeds now if we want to reap the rewards down the line.

In the past couple decades how many second rounders have made any type of significant impact with this team? Guys like Powe, Davis, Hauser(undrafted) might come along once every seven or eight years, and you can usually tell what makes them standout to the point they can make that impact on the floor early on too. I think they’ll be extremely lucky if Walsh becomes a rotational piece in a couple years, Im not holding my breath though. We have nine guaranteed contracts with only Springer as a team option. That leaves four players who could potentially be out the door and all three two ways. Feels like plenty of room.

Springer is guaranteed next year. But yeah Hauser, Queta are team options and Brissett a player option. I would expect all three back. Maybe Brissett walks for more PT somewhere. They will sign Tillman and possibly Kornet. That’s at least 12, but more likely 13. Then there is Davison.
Not much room on the big roster assuming they keep a spot open. If they keep both picks this year the FRP is guaranteed and they could do a two way with the second rounder.
If they trade the FRP for seconds this year that fills up the two way spots pretty quickly.

Personally I don’t see a lot to like in this draft though there are some interesting 2nd rounders.

IDK I just like the potential with Walsh, Springer, Davison versus guys in this draft and like the idea of trading for 30 for a couple of future 2nd rounders more.
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1050 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:49 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:Brad can’t keel trading back and not adding any talent through the draft, it will eventually catch up with him. They were very luck health was on their side this year. It’s one the weaker drafts of memory with a good amount of teams that have multiple picks. So the price to trade up should be manageable to grab hopefully a developmental big.

Sounds like Brad sees Queta as the developmental big:

https://www.si.com/nba/celtics/brad-stevens-shares-long-term-view-on-neemias-queta-filling-celtics-15th-roster-spot

He's a little bit older (24..turns 25 in July) for a developmental big..but he's already proven he can handle rotational mins for this Celtics team.

I think there's still some untapped potential there..in year 2 with the Celtics he could be even better..all we need is a guy to give you some backup C minutes here and there..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
ThePigeon
Starter
And1: 1,286

Post#1051 » by ThePigeon » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:Brad can’t keel trading back and not adding any talent through the draft, it will eventually catch up with him. They were very luck health was on their side this year. It’s one the weaker drafts of memory with a good amount of teams that have multiple picks. So the price to trade up should be manageable to grab hopefully a developmental big.

Sounds like Brad sees Queta as the developmental big:

https://www.si.com/nba/celtics/brad-stevens-shares-long-term-view-on-neemias-queta-filling-celtics-15th-roster-spot

He's a little bit older (24..turns 25 in July) for a developmental big..but he's already proven he can handle rotational mins for this Celtics team.

I think there's still some untapped potential there..in year 2 with the Celtics he could be even better..all we need is a guy to give you some backup C minutes here and there..

I thought Queta played better than Tilman (both with limited role). He is big, strong, good rebounder and have some shot blocking ability. Offense is limited to near the basket. Can't play from outside, so we need to adjust, as both starting bigs are able to score from 3 and have nice passing skills.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1052 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 pm

Hal14 wrote:One of the guys I was high on for us (Johni Broome) announced today that he's returning for 1 more year at Auburn.

So him and Ivisic (2 guys I was high on) are going back to college.

Here's a new guy to put on the radar, though - Andrija Jelavic. Plays for Mega, the team that Jokic played for. Jelavic is about 6'10"/6'11"..can play the 4 or the 5 (plays more at the 4 for Mega but can play the 5 too). Can shoot it pretty well from deep. Shows some passing flashes. He's young, only 20 yrs old. He starts, plays a lot and puts up some pretty good numbers in one of the top pro leagues in the world.

Could possibly stash him..or bring him right over - nice to have that flexibility.

Jelavic has declared for the draft but could withdraw his name prior to the deadline..

Sounds like a good use of a second rounder.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1053 » by brackdan70 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:15 pm

Last 2 picks in Davison and Walsh have been highly rated recruits that did have huge freshman years. Definitely solid talents though. To early to say if this model is effective but I like the idea.
Sign here
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,680

Post#1054 » by playa-hater » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:18 pm

Playoffs or Not, I still like to see updates in this thread. Will try to include any updated Mocks shortly
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,227

Post#1055 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:36 pm

Why can't the Celtics just continue to trade back, add extra second rounders and plug whatever holes open up in the rotation at the deadline by using those extra picks ? If you combine his work at the draft and the deadline, Stevens turned the 25th pick into Jordan Walsh + Xavier Tillman + Jaden Springer + a second round pick. Sounds like a pretty epic win to me. Stevens' strategy is precisely the right one for a contender because you keep maximum flexibility to go in whatever direction you need when someone gets hurt/doesn't perform.

If you are concerned about the lack of depth/injuries the last thing you do is spend whatever limited draft capital you have left on a single prospect and leave yourself with no assets to pivot in case of an emergency. Spending all that draft capital on a big is particularly unappealing. By the time he'll be able to play pick and roll defense at the NBA level, Horford and Holiday will be retired and most of the core will be well into their thirties so he's not going to help contend for a title all that much. At least with a guard or a wing you have the chance that he'll be ready for meaningful minutes sooner than that.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#1056 » by Hal14 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:08 pm

Udate. Karaban declared for the draft! BUT he's maintaining his college eligibility so he might end up going back to school..he has a few more weeks to make a finals decision..

It wouldn't shock me if Boston tries to bring him in for a workout at some point soon.

I don't think we need a "Hauser replacement" but if one is needed, Karaban would be ideal..think (long term) he could be comparable to Hauser as a shooter but better in pretty much all other areas..both about same size.

Karaban is a big Celtics fan :)

Read on Twitter

I wouldn't hate it if we drafted him. But he is very similar to Hauser except potentially better in all areas besides shooting (and he's comparable as a shooter) so I feel like it might piss Hauser off if we drafted him..
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,278

Post#1057 » by djFan71 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:43 pm

Harrison Ingram too, though probably not much of a surprise. Guessing he goes in the gap between our current picks. Most mocks have him in the 40s.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,540

Post#1058 » by 165bows » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:51 pm

I’ve liked Karaban - not saying he’ll be as good as Hauser overall but I think he plays bigger in some ways. Much better scorer inside the arc and blocks more shots as well eg.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,296

Post#1059 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Who's good at #30?
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#1060 » by Dogen » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:54 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Ulrich Chomche, the big kid from Cameroon, could be RW3 2.0.

Yeah super interesting. He actually shoots and makes some threes….very small sample.

The Celtics roster is pretty much set -- maybe there is a possibility of finding a "ready to roll" senior player at #30 (like Jaime Jaquez has been for the Heat), but that's unlikely.

The other route is to forget about team need now, and go for high potential in a young guy who can fill a future need. Chomche is an intriguing project. Long, mobile PF with shot blocking, a smooth looking 3 (Sam Perkins smooth), and can bring the ball up/pass a bit. And just 18 years old.

I miss having Rob as that rim-running big, and none of the current young bigs quite fit that mold. Chomche could fit nicely into the development pipeline, taking on that Queta-sized 2-Way spot next season.

Aside from Timelord 2.0, I'm also getting some Scottie Barnes vibes here 8-). At 18, he's a few years away, assuming he makes it, but the Celtics window should still be open, and a talented 21-year-old PF/C on a rookie contract would be nice to have around.

Hey you! Can we come together?

Return to Boston Celtics